PDA

View Full Version : Unable to change certain settings on some cars

Itothans
19-05-2015, 02:59
Hi guys,

I have tried searching for the answer to this all over the place but am unable to, so I apologize if this has been answered already.

For some reason with some cars, I am unable to change certain settings. For example Mitsubishi Evolution X, I am unable to adjust ride height, but I am able to adjust the camber and sway bars which doesn't make sense.

I tried in solo race, practice, various modes with various cars and I can't remember a car where I was able to change everything. What am I missing?

Any replies are appreciated.

MikeyTT
19-05-2015, 06:30
I'm not 100% sure on the Evo, but for most cars it comes down to a mixture of things. Does homologation restrict certain modifications? Does the car come with adjustable "x" out of the box?

For instance I'm pretty sure that you can't change the aero, but then the original didn't have any aero, bar a fixed boot spoiler.

The cars have been modelled based on real life counterparts. This is likely what you're seeing. Post up what you think is wrong tho, and I'm sure others will confirm for sure.

Itothans
19-05-2015, 08:11
Thanks for a quick reply.

So for the Evo for example, I am able to change camber and various spring rates but cannot change ride height? To me it seems a bit inconsistent that I am able to change some suspension aspects but not something as simple as ride height, which is what led me to believe that something is off.

Invincible
19-05-2015, 10:43
You can adjust camber and toe in nearly every street car (in very narrow corridors), but you can't adjust the ride height in any run-of-the-mill-sedan out there. Spring rates are a bit more common to adjust than ride height too.

denister
19-05-2015, 10:53
ride height - is not simple at all. it is much more complicated than camber and various spring rates. and evo is pretty simple car imho

Fre.Mo
19-05-2015, 12:18
I have understood Toe but can you explain how Camber works and what is its effects.

dwaynetheBLADE
19-05-2015, 12:28
Thanks for a quick reply.

So for the Evo for example, I am able to change camber and various spring rates but cannot change ride height? To me it seems a bit inconsistent that I am able to change some suspension aspects but not something as simple as ride height, which is what led me to believe that something is off.

Before you judge a game for inconsistencies maybe you should put your head underneath a car and understand whats going on...

all cars will allow you to change toe on the front, and lots will allow you to change camber but to change damping, bump stop and ride height requires adjustable coilovers. the reason why you will be able to change spring rate is because you could swap the springs in the shock absorber with no other modifications

Invincible
19-05-2015, 12:49
I have understood Toe but can you explain how Camber works and what is its effects.

Camber is the slant of the wheels. Imagine a tyre standing in front of you so you see the profile. Just standing on the ground it has 0 camber.

If you tilt the upper side to the middle of the car, it has negative camber.
If you tilt the upper side away from the car, it is positive camber.

If the negative camber is set correctly, it will increase cornering grip. On the downside you will loose traction whilst going straight (braking / accelerating).

Positive camber will achieve the opposite. Gain traction at the cost of cornering grip

Fre.Mo
19-05-2015, 15:41
Thank you for the very clear informations.

Itothans
19-05-2015, 22:54
Before you judge a game for inconsistencies maybe you should put your head underneath a car and understand whats going on...

all cars will allow you to change toe on the front, and lots will allow you to change camber but to change damping, bump stop and ride height requires adjustable coilovers. the reason why you will be able to change spring rate is because you could swap the springs in the shock absorber with no other modifications

I expected a more mature response from someone on these boards but I guess forums are forums.

Well I do have coilovers on my car which is the reason why I asked. My example was ride height, springs and camber. I know most stock suspension allows slight adjustments to camber and toe in etc, but other adjustments I mentioned require coilovers/springs. And like you said, changing spring rate requires changing springs, but changing ride height can be also done by changing springs, which is where the inconsistency is.

To be perfectly clear my post wasn't meant to criticize the game, I just thought my profile was corrupted or something so I wanted to double check if that was intentional.

Invincible
20-05-2015, 06:18
Just adding:

Please note that most road cars use negative camber from 0 up to -2,0. Race cars can apply more negative camber up to -4,0, even if that is mostly uncommon.

Positive camber on the other hand is really rare to see and as far as i know only applied for oval racing to compensate the track embankment.

Shinzah
20-05-2015, 06:48
Just adding:

Please note that most road cars use negative camber from 0 up to -2,0. Race cars can apply more negative camber up to -4,0, even if that is mostly uncommon.

Mostly uncommon as compared to what anymore? As high as 6 isn't even all that uncommon in modern racing cars...

Positive camber on the other hand is really rare to see and as far as i know only applied for oval racing to compensate the track embankment.

It can be rare, but sometimes you will find cars running positive camber at rest. Usually very light cars. Using that manner the tire will set more flat on the road while driving than if it was using negative camber which will reduce its contact patch. Certain formula cars have been prone to running positive camber in this manner especially if they have thinner tires, as simply laying the wheel flat will drive the rubber into the road constantly and using negative camber will wear out a smaller portion of the tire quicker, leading to tire wear issues.

Invincible
20-05-2015, 07:10
Mostly uncommon as compared to what anymore? As high as 6 isn't even all that uncommon in modern racing cars...

Really that high? Well - I thought it wouldn't be used that high. Learning never stops..

Shinzah
20-05-2015, 07:13
Really that high? Well - I thought it wouldn't be used that high. Learning never stops..

Yep. Some of the Porsche Cup guys started running 5-6 a couple years ago now. It become a pretty big advantage and so for more sprint GT races, they run 4-6 these days. At least on those cars. Stock cars run as high as 8-10, certain open wheelers run crazy camber levels, and well, drift cars ect.

Race car engineers are never through with maximizing suspension geometries, and tire manufacturers keep pushing the boundries of rubber composites ^^;

Invincible
20-05-2015, 08:12
A camber this high must produce massive uneven tire wear... well - probably that's why it's used in sprint races.

Reminds me of something I've seen maybe two years ago - tires with built-in camber.

It think it was this one: Cambertire (http://www.cambertire.com/) But iirc, it didn't work 100% as promised.