PDA

View Full Version : Peripheral Vision (PS4)

jimmyb_84
19-05-2015, 09:04
Anyone else struggle with peripheral vision during a race? I drive using helmet cam but struggle to see other cars around me, I've tried using the right stick to look around but it just makes me crash loads.

A blind spot indicator would be useful, I like to try and race clean don't like taking other races out.

Mr Akina
19-05-2015, 09:12
Unfortunately, that's how it is in a race car. Stick on a helmet, HANS and sit in a wrap around seat and you're very limited to any kind of action in your blind spots... Hence the moving the stick left/right should just allow you to see your tiny mirrors. This is a Sim and this is something it simulates well.

Try to be more aware of the cars around you. At the start, stick to a line that wouldn't impede others as you rarely have time to think too hard about who's next to you in the pack. Leave a car's gap at the side of the track just in case. Check your split time indicator. If the guy behind is shown +0.0XX you can be sure he's along side of you.

jimmyb_84
19-05-2015, 09:32
Something I'll just have to get use too I suppose, practice with right stick and checking mirrors.

Anyone else got any tips?

Mascot
19-05-2015, 09:59
Triple screens?

jimmyb_84
19-05-2015, 10:07
Is that an option for PS4? or will I need x3 consoles and x3 copies of the game?

I love the game but not that much ;)

Mr Akina
19-05-2015, 10:09
Anyone else got any tips?

Slide the seat back a bit?

jimmyb_84
19-05-2015, 10:13
I shall have a look for the setting later, haven't touched those settings yet

Mr Akina
19-05-2015, 10:17
I shall have a look for the setting later, haven't touched those settings yet

Allocate it to the right stick 'down' - You shouldn't be looking down anyway lol.

Marrrfooo
19-05-2015, 10:36
I actually don't really understand why you're not able to move the FOV slider on the helmet cam any further back than 85. I appreciate that you couldn't have a mega zoomed out view (i.e. 100+) as that would be unrealistic - but it does feel that at the maximum FOV of 85 the view is still more zoomed in than it should be and it feels like it should go back to 100. I love the helmet cam, although I have turned the helmet itself off as I feel the peripheral impairment is too great (and as far as I see there is no slider to partially reduce this - only turn it on/off).

I absolutely agree you'd have the very periphery of your vision obscured by the helmet it currently feels like the helmet is 2-3" thick in front of my face and feels to me like it could do with slimming down a bit (ideally a slider to adjust it to suit). In almost all non-open wheelers if you have the helmet on and the FOV at max 85 less than 50% of the wheel is visible (meaning often that the Motec display is obscured). I know drivers can look down of course but I don't believe any racing driver would need to move his head downwards to look at his Motec whilst racing - it would be dangerous, surely? I'm not saying you should be able to see the full wheel of course, but the Motec should be visible and it doesn't seem to be the case.

Am I alone on that one? I know that seats can slide back but if all GT cars have this problem surely a small increase to 100 on the FOV wouldn't be unrealistic in terms of FOV (as well as a slider to somewhat reduce the thickness of the helmet)?

LordDRIFT
19-05-2015, 12:11
You can adjust seat up and down to compensate motec view.

Marrrfooo
19-05-2015, 12:18
You can adjust seat up and down to compensate motec view.

I absolutely agree - but a the vast majority of cars have that issue - is that not less a seat position problem and more an FOV limit problem? If you look at the cockpit view at 100 it looks about right for FOV - but 85 is the max on the slide for the helmet cam and I just can't quite see why.

creepyd
19-05-2015, 12:40
I still think there should be arrows at the edge of the screen.

In real life you..
- Can look over your shoulder and still 'feel' what the car is doing
- Have much nicer 3d sound than any game can ever give you - you will likely know exactly where that car is
- Can actually see your mirrors (In game the resolution is far to low for them to be useful, even at 1080p - maybe this would be fine on a 70" 4K TV but who has that?)

Because this is a GAME and not real life, I want those arrows to make up for the fact we have none of the above things available to us.
I want to race, and knowing where cars are behind and around you enables better racing, and hence more fun - this is a game after all.

Mr Akina
19-05-2015, 12:47
In real life you..
- Can look over your shoulder and still 'feel' what the car is doing

Nope, with a HANS and seat wrapped around your head, you can't

In real life you..
- Have much nicer 3d sound than any game can ever give you - you will likely know exactly where that car is

Nope, ear plugs in and helmet on, the over-powering noise of your own car, you get better sound in game.

In real life you..
- Can actually see your mirrors (In game the resolution is far to low for them to be useful, even at 1080p)

Nope, they are usually vibrating and appear as small as they are in game. You have more blind spots in a race car. Being able to look slightly left and right to see your mirrors is about as good as it gets.

...but arrows do seem to be needed as a lot of people are moaning about this.

creepyd
19-05-2015, 13:15
Ok you got me there I guess (for some cars)

I still come back to the fact it's a game.
People aren't all going at almost the same speed around the track and following the same lines like real life.
They are extremely unpredictable for the most part.
That's probably a bigger reason to need the arrows.

jimmyb_84
19-05-2015, 13:23
Also you do get arrows on a race car. My I point out the Corvette C7 R (watch an onboard) :p

May I also point out that in a real race situation you don't have a driving line, but that's an option in the game.....

Mr Akina
19-05-2015, 13:26
Ok you got me there I guess (for some cars)

I still come back to the fact it's a game.
People aren't all going at almost the same speed around the track and following the same lines like real life.
They are extremely unpredictable for the most part.
That's probably a bigger reason to need the arrows.

The AI are pretty good in this game and the people having problems with them are probably not used to AI being that aggressive. However, as you say, it is a game - and it should still have the option for a proximity assist like arrows. As for online racers, you can't predict stupid lol

jimmyb_84
19-05-2015, 13:30
The AI are pretty good in this game and the people having problems with them are probably not used to AI being that aggressive. However, as you say, it is a game - and it should still have the option for a proximity assist like arrows. As for online racers, you can't predict stupid lol

It is online I struggle with, the AI are no problem

creepyd
19-05-2015, 14:02
Yes AI are very good and consistent, they obey racing rules for racing lines and stuff - very cool.

Online play is what I meant - it's just chaos - I really can't see any fun being had until we have these arrows.

o Mike V o
19-05-2015, 14:03
For cockpit view I upped the FOV to 100 and that helped me out.

dyr_gl
19-05-2015, 14:23
You don't need to see others all the time. If you don't know if there's someone alongside, always leave a car's width of room.

LordDRIFT
19-05-2015, 14:34
I play on a 120" screen so seeing out my mirrors is not one of my 99 problems :).

If you want another way to see the instruments just delete the helmet from view . I tried this and didn't like it, it took away from the helmet cam sensation. Also on a single screen you should not be able to see your side view mirror - maybe just barely depending on car so having FOV set back more than the 85 will be even more inaccurate. I think you may find driving with any accuracy that way difficult as well. I can imagine the look to apex would be screwed up as well. But I agree you should have the option to tweak to your liking.

jimmyb_84
20-05-2015, 07:29
Am I being stupid, but I couldn't find the setting to change seating position? (PS4)

Couldn't see it on camera options or even in car setup options, help please.

Marrrfooo
20-05-2015, 07:30
I play on a 120" screen so seeing out my mirrors is not one of my 99 problems :).

If you want another way to see the instruments just delete the helmet from view . I tried this and didn't like it, it took away from the helmet cam sensation. Also on a single screen you should not be able to see your side view mirror - maybe just barely depending on car so having FOV set back more than the 85 will be even more inaccurate. I think you may find driving with any accuracy that way difficult as well. I can imagine the look to apex would be screwed up as well. But I agree you should have the option to tweak to your liking.

I agree that you shouldn't be seeing both wing mirrors in any realistic FOV - but with the Cockpit cam set to 100 you don't see both wingmirros, but you do see most of the window space on the left and a bit to the right - as your peripheral vision would allow you to be able to detect if someone was alongside you without twisting your head (assuming you have the helmet off of course). I think the FOV for the Helmet cam should go up to 100 (no more) as I think that's a more natural max FOV than 85 which seems somewhat artificially zoomed.

Mr Akina
20-05-2015, 07:38
Am I being stupid, but I couldn't find the setting to change seating position? (PS4)

Couldn't see it on camera options or even in car setup options, help please.

It's in the control options.. Where you assign buttons in the game options

MrStef85
20-05-2015, 07:40
Or use cockpitview.

jimmyb_84
20-05-2015, 08:07
I had to use cockpit view for the Aston GT3 as I couldn't find seat adjustments and I struggled to see apex over the dash.

I looked in assigning controls too, what "term" is used, someone suggested it earlier.

Mr Akina
20-05-2015, 11:34
I had to use cockpit view for the Aston GT3 as I couldn't find seat adjustments and I struggled to see apex over the dash.

I looked in assigning controls too, what "term" is used, someone suggested it earlier.

This is the PC screen, but it's the same on the Xbox and PS4... Under camera and view (ignore the red box), it has the seat adjustments. You need to assign them to the controller. I recommend Seat Forward and Back assigned to the Up and Down of the Right Stick.

jimmyb_84
20-05-2015, 11:42
I've spotted will try that again soon. I was just being blind

jimmyb_84
21-05-2015, 08:51
UPDATE:

Managed to program moving seat back, improved my vision a little. Worth doing if you are struggling with a little tunnel vision.