PDA

View Full Version : [Yes]Bonnet view easier to drive?

Pablo2008jedi
19-05-2015, 11:47
Anyone finding it much easier to drive in Bonnet view? Since release I've mainly been using cockpit or helmet view depending on the car, but for a change I thought I'd try my usual view, and change the view to Bonnet. I felt I could turn much easier and predict under/oversteer much better.

I did a race at donington, AI = 70 12 Laps with 10min qualy and 30 min practice.

I did the same weekend (practice, qually and race) in both views. In cockpit view I finished 3rd, in Bonnet view I finished first with over 12 seconds in front.

It may be due to teh fact I could see the road and apex more clearly?

Also I'm using the DS4 controller.

Feetabix
19-05-2015, 11:51
I use bonnet view with my t300........it feels more to scale if I look at the screen as I would the car windscreen.......when the car slides it feels like your sat in it and between the wheels ,rather than behind it and more over the rear wheels......clipping apexes feels more intuitive.....(that's when I've not braked hopelessly late and im cursing on the way to the barrier)

Umer Ahmad
19-05-2015, 11:51
Some people at WMD swear that to be truly competitve you must use bonnet view or something similar. Strip away just about everything but the road and the front of the car

Pablo2008jedi
19-05-2015, 11:55
Some people at WMD swear that to be truly competitve you must use bonnet view or something similar. Strip away just about everything but the road and the front of the car

That's very interesting to hear, I couldn't believe how much faster I was! I was thinking it was due to the DS4 but this seems to be the way to go. Now to push the AI skill up a notch or 2 :)

KK78
19-05-2015, 11:55
Bonnet cam for me too, sharpens my reactions, I use it in all racers including Driveclub, Forza and GT.

Pablo2008jedi
19-05-2015, 11:58
Bonnet cam for me too, sharpens my reactions, I use it in all racers including Driveclub, Forza and GT.

Its my go to view, but with this sim I though I'd try and be more "realistic"..but heh it a game after all and games are about having fun! :D

danowat
19-05-2015, 12:01
Definitely faster driving in this view, cockpit view lacks peripheral vision.

That said, I still use cockpit view!

Fight-Test
19-05-2015, 12:26
I tried this also and was incredibly faster. I feels much better and easier to see apexes.

trancend
19-05-2015, 12:37
Bonnet/bumper cam has always been my main for visibility and sense of speed.

Some cars I find difficult to drive as effectively this way, esp mid-engine sports cars. This is bc your point of view is now way up front, not near the middle of the vehicle like in cockpit view, so its like steering from the very front of the car, which sometimes feels like steering a canoe from the front if you get my analogy.

Also, bumper cam puts your sight very low to the ground significantly reducing your vision depth and spotting upcoming turns, and is also very blinding when riding the opponents bumper.

Im sticking with cockpit view, and with helmet on bc it adds some really nice visual effects and makes the road look very in focus and sharp. This game has done cockpit view the best Ive seen so far, and you can actually see out the driver window.

trancend
19-05-2015, 12:59
... actually your right, bumper cam is much better (with a pad at least), thanks!

HarryHoodlum
19-05-2015, 13:34
Also using the hood view. I've never actually liked this view in other games but for some reason this makes sense to me here. I'm much better at placing the tires in a specific spot this way.

tezcatlipoca
19-05-2015, 14:20
I'm missing the hood/partial dashboard view from driveclub. For me at least that view gives a very good mix of seeing the road and feeling positioned in the car.

HarryHoodlum
19-05-2015, 14:21
I'm missing the hood/partial dashboard view from driveclub. For me at least that view gives a very good mix of seeing the road and feeling positioned in the car.

Might be able to come close by moving your seat up? Haven't tried it myself but it's in the settings.

Mr.Smoke
19-05-2015, 14:32
Im primarily using the hood view as well. The bumper view is far too low for me & i just cant get used to in. I enjoy all the cockpit views as well, but i feel i get best lap times on hood view.

tezcatlipoca
19-05-2015, 14:37
Might be able to come close by moving your seat up? Haven't tried it myself but it's in the settings.

Tried that :). Better but not quite the same. Hopefully i'll be playing with a VR helmet at some point anyway.

trancend
19-05-2015, 15:03

Oh yeah, each view's "field of vision" can be modified separately. Havent tried, but Im guessing this is a zoom setting, which set right in cockpit view may actually give that awasome DriveClub dash cam.

muscular
19-05-2015, 17:44
I always use bumper view, gives best view while not compromising on the driving experience. The roof view can be pretty useful too except less realistic as u see further away from the road than in real life. But if u look at ur TV size and viewing distance, the bumper view is actually a good gauge of what u will see in real life.

Mr.Smoke
19-05-2015, 18:02
Except for not seeing any of the car itself. Best view for real life experience would be the cockpit view, using a wheel with the on-screen driver & wheel turned off.

Spitfire77
19-05-2015, 18:06
I used to always race bonnet/hood view in games but with pCARS I went with cockpit and trying for real FOV. - I have not messed with the hood view yet, but I guess I could give it a shot - does anyone know if the FOV calculation would be the same for hood and cockpit?

FOV calculators for reference
http://carsfov.moritzlawitschka.de/
http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/

HarryHoodlum
19-05-2015, 18:07
Hopefully Morpheus or whatever they call it will be affordable and we can all use that view ;)

LADY GEMMA JANE
19-05-2015, 18:08
I love the chase cam, I like to look at my car when racing for some strange reason!

kiteboy27
19-05-2015, 18:11
I thought the dash cam in driveclub (between cockpit and bonnet)was great, pity we don't get that option very often in racers..

JayChristmas
19-05-2015, 18:25
The roof cam is the best, so you can look over cars in your front and have a better view over hills or into schicanes!
But onboard is the coolest, most the helmet cam :)

Zenzic
19-05-2015, 19:16
I used to always race bonnet/hood view in games but with pCARS I went with cockpit and trying for real FOV. - I have not messed with the hood view yet, but I guess I could give it a shot - does anyone know if the FOV calculation would be the same for hood and cockpit?

FOV calculators for reference
http://carsfov.moritzlawitschka.de/
http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/

I would expect the FoV calculation to be different for the hood cam, since in a sense you, as the camera, are lying on the dashboard instead of being seated in the driver's position. You're effectively zooming in on the game, which means you'd need to lower your FoV even further to have the same sense of speed as with a properly set up FoV in cockpit view. In practive however I'd go for the same FoV as the one you calculated for cockpit view. After all choosing hood cam is choosing playability. If you handicap yourself in that view you might as well stick with cockpit view and enjoy the car's interior.

I'm slightly faster with hood view, yet I cannot bring myself to step away from cockpit view. The interiors really add a sense of uniqueness to each car that's lost when switching to hood view.

Mr.Smoke
19-05-2015, 21:01
Hopefully Morpheus or whatever they call it will be affordable and we can all use that view ;)

Im with you on that. If/when i pick up a morpheus i will likely try cockpit view the most for sense of immersion.

RobIzYoDaddy
19-05-2015, 21:15
Hood/bonnet view is my default however I can not seem to keep the HUD settings squared away. In online for some reason it stops showing mirror/mirrors. It is frustrating as I really try to be polite and not pinch or chop off other drivers but when the mirror goes, so does my spacial awareness...

HarryHoodlum
19-05-2015, 21:21
Hood/bonnet view is my default however I can not seem to keep the HUD settings squared away. In online for some reason it stops showing mirror/mirrors. It is frustrating as I really try to be polite and not pinch or chop off other drivers but when the mirror goes, so does my spacial awareness...

Had that happen too. Is that something the host can shut off?

cudirage13
19-05-2015, 21:40
I prefer the cockpit view myself but the hood/bonnet view for me goes too fast and I can't react fast enough to be able to race well.

neoleo
03-06-2015, 20:59
I have the same experrience
Its not only the bonnet view camera that gives a different behaviour.
The car behaviour is also different with the chase camera.
When I drive fe. the Caterham classic at Donington in cockpit view I nearly get to 5th gear. In chase camera mode I get to 5th gear 3 or 4 times in a round.
Besides this the car is much more stable tot drive. It is realy a big differents. I like the car behaviour in Chase camera view but its not realistic to drive that way.
Is there a reason for these differences or is this ment to be. Is there a sort of recommended camera view when driving Pcars.

lord7289
03-06-2015, 21:05
Always use bonnet view but reflections can sometimes be off-putting.

centurian
03-06-2015, 21:22
Cockpit view is for realists. The rest are for the arcade racers.
Never once seen Lewis Hamilton driving via his bonnet :D

Roger Prynne
03-06-2015, 21:27
I have the same experrience
Its not only the bonnet view camera that gives a different behaviour.
The car behaviour is also different with the chase camera.
When I drive fe. the Caterham classic at Donington in cockpit view I nearly get to 5th gear. In chase camera mode I get to 5th gear 3 or 4 times in a round.
Besides this the car is much more stable tot drive. It is realy a big differents. I like the car behaviour in Chase camera view but its not realistic to drive that way.
Is there a reason for these differences or is this ment to be. Is there a sort of recommended camera view when driving Pcars.
There is no difference in behaviour, it's just the perception of different behaviour. Physics are exactly the same from any view.

daddyboosive
03-06-2015, 21:27
always used bonet view. Helps me to be more precise and also helps clean racing.

KartKingCorre
03-06-2015, 21:33
Always use bonnet view but reflections can sometimes be off-putting.

I know exactly what you're talking about. Sometimes the car seems to turn strangely due to these reflections.. caused me a crash or two

IrideGravity
03-06-2015, 23:18
Yes. Huge difference for me as well. But, open cockpit vehicles can be pretty quick in cock pit. Have not tested if it's faster for sure, but I feel I can see well enough in an open cockpit to still be competitive, might even be faster because you can see wheels and chassis movement. In a road car or closed race car, it's always the bumper or hood cam. So much easier to see your periphial and pick up breaking zones.

BDR Daz
03-06-2015, 23:28
Cockpit view is for realists. The rest are for the arcade racers.
Never once seen Lewis Hamilton driving via his bonnet :D

Guess im an Arcade Racer then ...

P.s Lewis races in the simulator with his helmet off so maybe he is an arcade racer too ...

RobMUFC1987
04-06-2015, 00:11
I've gotten so used to cockpit view, I can't drive in bonnet cam, just because of the Speedo. It's not a problem, just a habit of looking down instead of bottom right

dyr_gl
04-06-2015, 00:16

Lack of spacial awareness is a b****.

wyldanimal
04-06-2015, 03:18

Yeah, that Mirror goes missing...
I found if you Cycle through the HUD Displays, once you get the FFB Hud, then advance Two more, the mirror is on that one...

jason
04-06-2015, 03:37
cockpit view for me , I started the game like that and havn't changed .

Cockpit just feels right for me in this game , mined you I was driving a LMP in the pooring rain and couldn't see squat through that little window they have :dejection:

MULTIVITZ
04-06-2015, 08:28
I always go in bonnet view, you can see the cars attitude and when its struggling to take bumps. Don't forget the cam zoom function, that gers it just right. After tuning most cars I go into cockpit to check everything is working as it should if I weren't tuning in open view. When you drive in the dark all you see is bonnet and clock, its no different. But with most race cars the seat is low, that usually hinders the depth judgment of speed and distance. Give me a white van or bike any day!! Roof cams good off the line! Everylittle helps?

KartKingCorre
04-06-2015, 09:38
Maybe the seat position options would help a lot with the visibility in the cockpitview.. Haven't played with those settings yet ( I read somewhere that this is not available to map on console, is that true?)
You can move your seat up Down forwards backwards and leaning angle..

Goruk
04-06-2015, 09:52
Maybe the seat position options would help a lot with the visibility in the cockpitview.. Haven't played with those settings yet ( I read somewhere that this is not available to map on console, is that true?)

No, you can change your driving position on the PS4.

Fre.Mo
04-06-2015, 12:52

yes you can change all these parameters but the wheel/controler lacks of button to assign the whole settings...

TheLethalDose
04-06-2015, 13:09
If I want to go fast I usually drive with roof cam or bonnet view.

Suprisingly enough I decided to mess around with cockpit view in a FA and bested my time I was struggling to improve on by quarter of a second within 3 laps...

Fre.Mo
04-06-2015, 13:39
I usually love the bonnet view , but in Project Cars the camera is located too far ahead and I don t see enough of the bonnet.

muscular
04-06-2015, 14:17
I usually love the bonnet view , but in Project Cars the camera is located too far ahead and I don t see enough of the bonnet.

You can push the FOV further behind to see more of the bonnet.

Fre.Mo
04-06-2015, 14:41
yes but do we have to set it for each car, or when it is set up for a car the configuration is saved for all the others because it is difficult to assign the view change buttons (6 buttons: +/- height, +/- forward, +/- tilt)

muscular
05-06-2015, 13:00
yes but do we have to set it for each car, or when it is set up for a car the configuration is saved for all the others because it is difficult to assign the view change buttons (6 buttons: +/- height, +/- forward, +/- tilt)

You just have to set once in main menu under options and help. It will auto-adjust for all cars. The button for height and forward is another set of options that I haven't yet touch.

RobMUFC1987
05-06-2015, 15:05

There's a roof cam you can use to see more of the bonnet

hovercroft
05-06-2015, 15:51
I've always been a chase cam person when it came to racers. But with this I just didn't like it at all, I've been using cockpit view and love it, and will probably always go for this option in racers now. Just waiting for my T300 GTE now. Although, the first race in a focus RS(during the go kart season) I couldn't figure out how to turn on my wipers at the beginning of the race and ended up in the grass.