19-05-2015, 12:03
When setting up races, what exactly are the following:

- practice 1
- practice 2
- qualify
- warm up

vicdavery
19-05-2015, 12:09
modeled on many different race series, e.g. Formula 1.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_One_racing

FarChri
19-05-2015, 12:09
I hope i unterstood what you mean:

Practice 1 = Training - Get to know the track / car. Adjust your Setup.
Practice 2 = Training - Like Training 1, maybe other conditions. Fineadjust your setup.
Qualify = Run the fastest lap you can - the fastest laptime result in your startingpostion.
Warm up = Warm up your tires.

gbm
19-05-2015, 12:18
I hope i unterstood what you mean:

Practice 1 = Training - Get to know the track / car. Adjust your Setup.
Practice 2 = Training - Like Training 1, maybe other conditions. Fineadjust your setup.
Qualify = Run the fastest lap you can - the fastest laptime result in your startingpostion.
Warm up = Warm up your tires.

YES....this is what I was looking for. Awesome.

So when it comes to warming up your tires with "warm up", that is indicated in the lower right with the 4 green icons, right? I've noticed they go from Blue to Green at times. Blue = cold? Green = warm?

FarChri
19-05-2015, 12:25
Exactly, but it will take longer than one lap to warm them up to the sweet spot were they are working best. So do the practice and maybe adjust the default setups to your liking. And use the warm up lap to get a feeling for the car and track conditions again.

gbm
19-05-2015, 12:38
Exactly, but it will take longer than one lap to warm them up to the sweet spot were they are working best. So do the practice and maybe adjust the default setups to your liking. And use the warm up lap to get a feeling for the car and track conditions again.

Very cool.

Since the whole "tire warming" thing is a new concept to me, let me ask:

Ideally I want them all green? How can I tell when they are wearing?

Also, does this game *really* make a difference with the different temperatures and wear on them? Or is it just a visual thing?

vicdavery
19-05-2015, 12:47
The icons in the corner are "switch like", e.g. 50C == blue, 51C == green. So they are not the best indicator of when tyres are approaching best temperature. Depending on car and track it can be hard to keep all tyres green.

In the telemetry HUD you can see actual values which might be more useful.

At the moment there is no wear indicator in-game, one of the chief devs agreed it should be added. You can access tyre wear using a 3rd party app, but it will be nice when it's on screen.

And lastly, yes it does make a massive difference.

gbm
19-05-2015, 12:54
The icons in the corner are "switch like", e.g. 50C == blue, 51C == green.

I didn't understand this.

vicdavery
19-05-2015, 12:57
What I was trying to explain is

Imagine that the ideal working temp for your tyres is the range 51-60C.
When your tyres are at at 50C the indicator will be blue. When they hit 51C the indicator goes green.

The difference between their effectiveness at 50 or 51C is negligible and yet the indicator appears to show that they go from bad to good. The reality is a more subtle shift than the colours indicate.

I hope that makes more sense.

gbm
19-05-2015, 13:26
What I was trying to explain is

Imagine that the ideal working temp for your tyres is the range 51-60C.
When your tyres are at at 50C the indicator will be blue. When they hit 51C the indicator goes green.

The difference between their effectiveness at 50 or 51C is negligible and yet the indicator appears to show that they go from bad to good. The reality is a more subtle shift than the colours indicate.

I hope that makes more sense.

Ah yes, that's perfect. Thanks for the clarification.

vicdavery
19-05-2015, 13:27
np. :)

FarChri
19-05-2015, 13:28
You can get and should get all green in my opinion.

Read the setup threads and adjust the tire-pressure, downforce,... for example. The telemetry HUD or the 3rd party apps (like vicdavery already mentioned) will give you the info you will need ;)

Pamellaaa
19-05-2015, 13:31
Does the warm up time actually affect the tyres (and brakes?) that you start the race with then?

gbm
19-05-2015, 14:10
Read the setup threads

Where do I find that?

FarChri
19-05-2015, 14:19
Here:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/forumdisplay.php?117-The-Garage-Car-Setup-Talk

I don't know if the warm up lap is affecting the tire or brake wear (I think it does), but if so just marginal. You don't have to worry about brake wear - maybe in really long endurance races...
Warm up is really to warm up - you and the tires and brakes ;)

gbm
19-05-2015, 14:25
Here:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/forumdisplay.php?117-The-Garage-Car-Setup-Talk

I don't know if the warm up lap is affecting the tire or brake wear (I think it does), but if so just marginal. You don't have to worry about brake wear - maybe in really long endurance races...
Warm up is really to warm up - you and the tires and brakes ;)

Wow, lots to learn there. :/

Thanks man!

So essentially, I can race a warm up/practice lap, then have a moment between that, and the main race, to make any changes I like?

Curious, what would be some adjustments made during that part?
(remember, I'm very new to all of this)

FarChri
19-05-2015, 14:38
You should use the practice session to find out, what you need to adjust on the car, to "fit" to the track and to your driving style. Adjust the height, downforce and so on - to make it stable enough or to make it feel better for you. Nobody can say, this is the perfect setup for this or that - it's completely up to you.

Normally I adjust the tire pressure, brake duct, downforce, differential, radiator, dampers, suspension,... pretty much everything, depending on the track and conditions.

You don't have to do these changes, but you can make the car more "driveable" or faster / safer if the default setup is not working for you. So it's worth to learn the basics - I'm no setup pro too.

gbm
19-05-2015, 14:42
You should use the practice session to find out, what you need to adjust on the car, to "fit" to the track and to your driving style. Adjust the height, downforce and so on - to make it stable enough or to make it feel better for you. Nobody can say, this is the perfect setup for this or that - it's completely up to you.

Normally I adjust the tire pressure, brake duct, downforce, differential, radiator, dampers, suspension,... pretty much everything, depending on the track and conditions.

You don't have to do these changes, but you can make the car more "driveable" or faster / safer if the default setup is not working for you. So it's worth to learn the basics - I'm no setup pro too.

F-ing cool indeed! I can't wait to dig into this deeper.

FarChri
19-05-2015, 15:25
It's wotrh it. Have fun ;)

DozUK
19-05-2015, 15:40
In the telemetry HUD you can see actual values which might be more useful.

At the moment there is no wear indicator in-game, one of the chief devs agreed it should be added. You can access tyre wear using a 3rd party app, but it will be nice when it's on screen.

And lastly, yes it does make a massive difference.

Because as you say, it makes a massive difference, it's very important that it's displayed on screen. There is no 3rd party app for consoles, so this is a pretty big thing to have been left out and much needed.

Also, I don't believe there is a way to review the telemetry in the pits after running some laps and this also is something that is needed as an option when running a replay. I know you can view it during a lap but you can only concentrate on one thing. Driving with telemetry view and recording the session isn't ideal either, you need to review from the pits after setting the laps.

gbm
19-05-2015, 15:51
Because as you say, it makes a massive difference, it's very important that it's displayed on screen. There is no 3rd party app for consoles, so this is a pretty big thing to have been left out and much needed.

Also, I don't believe there is a way to review the telemetry in the pits after running some laps and this also is something that is needed as an option when running a replay. I know you can view it during a lap but you can only concentrate on one thing. Driving with telemetry view and recording the session isn't ideal either, you need to review from the pits after setting the laps.

So there isn't any raw data that I can look at afterwards? I have to do it all in real-time while I drive?

Umer Ahmad
19-05-2015, 15:54
So there isn't any raw data that I can look at afterwards? I have to do it all in real-time while I drive?
On consoles yes, real-time. Agree, a bit difficult. I tend to end up facing a wall.

It would be cool if SONY/MSFT allowed games in the future to output data.

DozUK
19-05-2015, 17:46
On consoles yes, real-time. Agree, a bit difficult. I tend to end up facing a wall.

It would be cool if SONY/MSFT allowed games in the future to output data.

Come on, you can't blame Sony/Microsoft for this. Show telemetry on replays, it's the obvious choice