PDA

View Full Version : An open letter to Ian Bell

RubberDave
19-05-2015, 16:02
To Ian

Thank you for your hard work and dedication to making this the best game it can be. Your presence in the community is felt and very much appreciated. It is heartening to know you are willing to acknowledge faults and have been open about what you are fixing and what is being addressed. This forum has made quite hard reading the last few days so I wanted to give a voice to those who appreciate that not everything will go smoothly but that you are doing the best you can to make things right.

If you or your team* are ever in Reading, you can have a pint on me.

*may depend on numbers!

Ian Bell
19-05-2015, 16:05
To Ian

Thank you for your hard work and dedication to making this the best game it can be. Your presence in the community is felt and very much appreciated. It is heartening to know you are willing to acknowledge faults and have been open about what you are fixing and what is being addressed. This forum has made quite hard reading the last few days so I wanted to give a voice to those who appreciate that not everything will go smoothly but that you are doing the best you can to make things right.

If you or your team* are ever in Reading, you can have a pint on me.

*may depend on numbers!

Very decent of you chap. Much appreciated.

menaceuk
19-05-2015, 16:06
Seconded:D

cliffter88
19-05-2015, 16:12
Agreed, I'm loving the game despite the little issues. All games release with problems, look at TDU2 that was a mess but I still played it and enjoyed it. People are just way to impatient to understand that the developers are fixing and address issues and most likely in a a few weeks time the big issues will be sorted

LADY GEMMA JANE
19-05-2015, 16:12
I don't want to sound like a fangirl, but I also appreciate all the work that went into the game.

Loochst3r
19-05-2015, 16:20
As much as i'm awaiting the patch, i also appreciate you coming here and comminicating with us.
Please don't let the haters drive you away, leaving us supporters with no further communications from you.

Seps1974
19-05-2015, 16:21
May I suggest the use of some strict rules with forum members.
This is a forum for those who support this game, so to me trolls and opportunists should be kicked right out the door. Off course people should be allowed to voice their opinions, but within good sense and respect.

beetes_juice
19-05-2015, 16:25
As much as i'm awaiting the patch, i also appreciate you coming here and comminicating with us.
Please don't let the haters drive you away, leaving us supporters with no further communications from you.

Communication is key

yusupov
19-05-2015, 16:27
indeed, waiting for a patch is a lot easier when i see ian & doug responding to complaints, i dont mind waiting as long as i know issues are being worked on. great game that im very happy to be able to watch get even better

Ischemica
19-05-2015, 16:28
May I suggest the use of some strict rules with forum members.
This is a forum for those who support this game, so to me trolls and opportunists should be kicked right out the door. Off course people should be allowed to voice their opinions, but within good sense and respect.

I agree it usually not what you say, but how you say it that makes a big difference in how people express themselves.

Another forum I read(flight sim scenery) has had problems with certain posters and implemented the following guidelines which appear fair but firm.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/97949-enough-is-enough/

leftturney
19-05-2015, 17:16
A friend and I both think this is the best racing we have done in many years. We love tuning, and we will set up 60 minute qualifiers all night long and tune cars together in the same session. Thanks for making that possible.

HEF51
19-05-2015, 17:25
We love tuning, and we will set up 60 minute qualifiers all night long and tune cars together in the same session. .

Except the fact that the tuning sliders are broken on X1.

Ian Bell
19-05-2015, 17:32

Hef, please give us more information on this and we'll look into it.

leftturney
19-05-2015, 17:33

What's broken about the sliders? We've tuned a Renault Clio, Ford Focus, Lancer Evo, Formula Rookie and Formula A on both Laguna Seca and Barcelona.. that's as far as we have made it as of now.

OneGoodKnock
19-05-2015, 17:35
Having lurked in this forum for a while I'm compelled to say the following.
I personally have no issues with this game. I've had one strange glitch going into the pits, the controller works fine for most cars (exception for me is the BaC Mono)
The overarching point I want to make is that I think this game is fantastic, and wish to thank all those involved with this project for their hard work and dedication over the years.

Daveesaunders
19-05-2015, 17:49
I don't care that there's bugs, things get through no one was expecting. The main fact is its being worked on and whilst that's happening we all get a chance to see what the game has and what we would like. The constant posts about the same issue and asking where the patch aren't going to make it come any quicker.

This game is what I've wanted for a long time, I'm even looking into switching to a pic with a decent wheel set up.

icebear
19-05-2015, 17:51
hello
i am a not a big forum user because of trolls, keyboards warriors, etc
but if i write only one message here in my life, it has to be just to thanks sms and the wdm guys for their work.
At 42y old, i was about to think my gaming career was behind me. But after 40h of play, i feel like the first time i played geoff crammond F1GP...

i will not say this game is perfect, there is even some choices i dont understand at all.
But overally, it is definitivly my favorite and simply a total fun and this is what matters from my pov
i even bought an accuforce pro today just because of this game and cant wait to receive it to have even more fun...

so again, thanks and congrats, guys behind this project :)

HEF51
19-05-2015, 17:56

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22583-Micro-adjust-sliders-in-tuning-and-settings

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?24462-Tuning-options-missing-on-some-xb1-versions-but-not-others

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?25017-In-game-Sliders-Very-Limited-No-Fine-Tuning

Ian Bell
19-05-2015, 17:58
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22583-Micro-adjust-sliders-in-tuning-and-settings

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?24462-Tuning-options-missing-on-some-xb1-versions-but-not-others

That's it?

OK, it clearly has to be a case of different game versions/patches not added.

Nemesis X2
19-05-2015, 18:08
Free with the OP.

I'm loving he game currently even without the patch. When it lands it will be even better so all good.

HEF51
19-05-2015, 18:20
That's it?

OK, it clearly has to be a case of different game versions/patches not added.

Not sure what you mean by "That's it?". But the sliders on X1 are bugged somehow. Example when trying to set gear ratios it could Jump from 2.16 to 1.89. No reason or rhyme.

Another example, when trying to set suspension, it'll go in increments of ten (100-110-120). Sway bars same thing.

Ian Bell
19-05-2015, 18:24
Not sure what you mean by "That's it?". But the sliders on X1 are bugged somehow. Example when trying to set gear ratios it could Jump from 2.16 to 1.89. No reason or rhyme.

Another example, when trying to set suspension, it'll go in increments of ten (100-110-120). Sway bars same thing.

But that's just our choice of increment.

'That's it?' is a response to the energy you've put into this small or non issue.

Lukeymonster
19-05-2015, 18:26
This has not been the best place of late so I can only imagine what the team is going through. Chin up though. You'll get through this.

In my experience it's a killer game Ian. You guys are to be commended for what you've created. I've had a smooth experience since launch and have loved every second of it. The game wows me every single time I play it. Last night I did my 24 lap GT4 career race at Abu Dahbi. I was battling with 1st and 2nd for 16 laps straight, planning a strategy, marveling at the sunset in the background, soaking in the amazing sound of my V8 Vantage, thanking my crew that they didn't bobble my pit stop, and managing a hot engine since I closed the radiator just a bit too much in a bid for a little more speed on the straights. I was stressed! I was stuck in the middle of a sublime setting in a close battle while wrestling with the less than ideal consequences of my earlier decisions...all while my tires were starting to feel like Crisco.

I sat there with the biggest grin on my face the whole time and finished second. That was just one race. Thousands more to go.

No other racing game has been able to give me that feeling and for that alone, you all at SMS have my thanks.

nissan4ever
19-05-2015, 18:41
Ian, I too really love this game. It has exceeded my expectations! Sure there are a couple bugs, but what game doesn't have bugs these days. There's millions of code in games now a days. Way more complex. It is what it is.

Keep up the good work SMS. You got a fan for life.

HEF51
19-05-2015, 18:46

'That's it?' is a response to the energy you've put into this small or non issue.

Why was this the choice on X1? Cause on PC you can fine tune to 1, 0.1 and 0.01.

Small issue or not. It still is one. Just trying to make your game better. Not sure why you are trying to put me down like that.

Raven403
19-05-2015, 18:50

Ian could we discuss it in the Threads citing the issue? So people can see it when looking for answers on that Topic? I also dont want to get bogged down in a thread meant as a compliment to you and your team.

yusupov
19-05-2015, 18:51
Why was this the choice on X1? Cause on PC you can fine tune to 1, 0.1 and 0.01.

Small issue or not. It still is one. Just trying to make your game better. Not sure why you are trying to put me down like that.

thats not true, pc you can move a slider with more precision but it doesnt change the value, youre still ultimately setting it in w/e increments/units SMS has set.

HEF51
19-05-2015, 18:56
thats not true, pc you can move a slider with more precision but it doesnt change the value, youre still ultimately setting it in w/e increments/units SMS has set.

I just cited three different threads that say otherwise. Whats the truth then?

Lukeymonster
19-05-2015, 19:00

Many race cars have to use parts with set tuning increments. Most race cars don't allow you to set parameters to whatever you want. I'm my opinion it's more realistic to force you to work with increments. Tuning is a constant trade off to fix pressing issues, not a means of perfecting a car a mm at a time. I work for a team that races 3 Boss 302Rs very similar to those in the game. We can only dial things in set increments.

KkDrummer
19-05-2015, 19:03
Many race cars have to use parts with set tuning increments. Most race cars don't allow you to set parameters to whatever you want. I'm my opinion it's more realistic to force you to work with increments. Tuning is a constant trade off to fix pressing issues, not a means of perfecting a car a mm at a time. I work for a team that races 3 Boss 302Rs very similar to those in the game. We can only dial things in set increments.

Agreed! The only adjustments that annoy me are the AI slider which moves in increments of 10 instead of 1.

Ian Bell
19-05-2015, 19:04
Agreed! The only adjustments that annoy me are the AI slider which moves in increments of 10 instead of 1.

This I agree with. I've asked the team to make it increments of 2. The balance is between granularity and annoyance/time.

GRD 4 3L
19-05-2015, 19:09
Ian, Andy, and the whole team at SMS, great job and thank you. PCARS is a wonderful refreshing change to sim on console. SETA tire model, I think, is brilliant! Once the controller was dialed in, PCARS suddenly came alive!

Awesome cars, awesome tracks, awesome tires, frightening darkness, British weather, fantastic!

Initia1 B
19-05-2015, 19:21

I noticed that with regards to the SLS AMG GT3 there is not enough incriments in the gear ratio settings (the slider only goes in 3 positions) meaning you end up with the same ratio in 2 gears and seeing as the final drive setting is locked there is no way to shorten the gearing. Apologies if this is infact they way things should be.

Umer Ahmad
19-05-2015, 19:26
I noticed that with regards to the SLS AMG GT3 there is not enough incriments in the gear ratio settings (the slider only goes in 3 positions) meaning you end up with the same ratio in 2 gears and seeing as the final drive setting is locked there is no way to shorten the gearing. Apologies if this is infact they way things should be.
Ah the SLS, gentlemen the SLS GT3 has FIA homologated gear ratios. In real life this car rarely uses 6th gear.

Gitseal
19-05-2015, 19:36
I remember Geoff Crammonds gp 4 , Im only 40 though. I agree with your post.

Apoc112
19-05-2015, 20:09
This I agree with. I've asked the team to make it increments of 2. The balance is between granularity and annoyance/time.

I've seen in other games and like it when the analog stick moves it in large increments while the D-pad gives more granular control.

Lukeymonster
19-05-2015, 20:11

Sweet

Stag
19-05-2015, 20:40
I'm wondering if this is actually the real mr bell.
To be so couldn't care less and call peoples problems small seems very odd. Plus the having mountains of cash quote
I would have thought after this amount if sakes it would be difficult not to.
I suppose had mountains of cash before release would have been more significant.
Still if you are the real ding dong fair play to jumping in the fire.

Jaroslav Turna
19-05-2015, 20:41
The Wookie is real .....

Umer Ahmad
19-05-2015, 20:43
Yes, it really is him. Kinda weird at first but he's been conversing with us at the ground-level since 2011

Get used to this, refreshing aint it?

Raven403
19-05-2015, 20:46
hey since you guys are still working on Pit stops can we offer some suggestions?

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?25950-Pit-Stops-needlessly-complicated

yusupov
19-05-2015, 20:49
I just cited three different threads that say otherwise. Whats the truth then?

i see in his response ian bell said something about a case of different versions so im confused as well. could you give a specific example (gear ratio is probably not good as some of these are fixed) that you think is missing increments & ill check if its same on PC?

Stag
19-05-2015, 21:14
Yes it is a good thing umar even if I don't think its great the way he's been handing out the bans. Still like he said its his gig I have noticed you yourself seem about the most useful on here.
I just wondered if it was the cricketer lol

Kinna39
19-05-2015, 22:08
Agree with the TC completely... Top work by SMS to get the game out and looking forward to the continued improvements and additions along the journey.

Ian if you're ever in Australia I'll shout you a pint as well!

DMR Ghahary21
19-05-2015, 22:25
The sliders on tuning are not bugged at all. To put it into perspective: you go to a race weekend with 3 different springs, and 3 different sway bars. One spring is 40 N/m , one 45, the other 50. Same with sway bars. It's much more realistic. You can change camber and toe, as you can in real life, more freely. Gears, like those in transmissions and differentials, have set ratios. You can't just infinitely adjust these at race weekends. You bring a certain number of ratios and you have the choice. I'm pretty sure some cars have more degrees of freedom with tuning also. A caterham vs a Formula 1 car is a good example.

DMR Ghahary21
19-05-2015, 22:27
Oh, and also Ian, if you're ever in the USA, you can buy me a real beer. Not one of these baby bottle pints or whatever they have in not-USA-land.

turbohondaej1
19-05-2015, 22:35
The sliders on tuning are not bugged at all. To put it into perspective: you go to a race weekend with 3 different springs, and 3 different sway bars. One spring is 40 N/m , one 45, the other 50. Same with sway bars. It's much more realistic. You can change camber and toe, as you can in real life, more freely. Gears, like those in transmissions and differentials, have set ratios. You can't just infinitely adjust these at race weekends. You bring a certain number of ratios and you have the choice. I'm pretty sure some cars have more degrees of freedom with tuning also. A caterham vs a Formula 1 car is a good example.

Ya but big race car teams will have more options then backyard Joes race team. They also have calculations to determine the gear ratios need for tracks so there not making a bunch of use less gears and final drives. Trust me many race teams engineer there own parts and gears most don't cost as much as you would think. Seems like race cars should have more options. I'm sure they didn't include every gear that every team has made for some of the cars.

Nignire
19-05-2015, 22:36
Id just like to add my thanks to Ian and everyone involved in Project cars. I have the xbox one and PC version ,im eagerly awaiting the xbox patch but have been playing the PC version constantly and it is by far the best racing sim I have and I also have Forza. Race Room ,Assetto Corsa and RFactor 2. Cant wait for full pit crews and the problems being ironed out it will be close on perfection, many thanks.

Ixoye56
19-05-2015, 22:36
Oh, and also Ian, if you're ever in the USA, you can buy me a real beer. Not one of these baby bottle pints or whatever they have in not-USA-land.

You've obviously never tasted a beer from the Czech Republic

mister dog
19-05-2015, 22:41
You've obviously never tasted a beer from the Czech Republic

I say 5 Belgian ones and he's under the table :)

Oh and on topic, this is a great project 'pun intented', and i'm looking forward on how PCARS will evolve this year. It's already the most addictive racing experience in the last 10 years, and to see there is still room for improvement only excites me even more. Also it feels great to be able to have a decent fan/dev. feedback channel through this forum in order to help this game reach it's true potential.

Seps1974
20-05-2015, 15:14
Off topic... Try "Super Bock". Portuguese beer and it's available in the U.S. ;)

Roger Prynne
20-05-2015, 16:11

Exactly this...

Ian Bell
20-05-2015, 16:13

I'm from Ireland mate. I win.

Elmo
20-05-2015, 16:22
We all know where the best beer is from anyway :)

To add something to the topic, we already have the too big steps on the list (for those settings where it really matters, e.g. FFB tweaking or AI strength)

Espen S. Andresen
20-05-2015, 16:34
Off topic... Try "Super Bock". Portuguese beer and it's available in the U.S. ;)

Ah, so THAT'S what "Super Bock" is! I visited Madeira a week ago and saw that name everywhere, but never got around to investigating.
Drank the local Coral beer, didn't think that was half bad either.

Seps1974
20-05-2015, 17:45
Ah, so THAT'S what "Super Bock" is! I visited Madeira a week ago and saw that name everywhere, but never got around to investigating.
Drank the local Coral beer, didn't think that was half bad either.

Now you know, if you ever see Super Bock somewhere, ask for one and give it a try.
Coral is not bad, but not my cup of "tea".

RetroNooB
20-05-2015, 18:46
What's broken about the sliders? We've tuned a Renault Clio, Ford Focus, Lancer Evo, Formula Rookie and Formula A on both Laguna Seca and Barcelona.. that's as far as we have made it as of now.

Any chance u might be persuaded to share tuning info? particularly clio, focus n evo :cool:

P,s Sorry for off topic post,

Mr Bell I already posted a thread regarding my gratuitude, everything in that post is relevant to my reponse in this but dont want to spam forum with reposts :)

Reinart86
20-05-2015, 20:21
Yeah, from Belgium :)
We all know where the best beer is from anyway :)

RoccoTTS
20-05-2015, 21:08
Yeah, from Belgium :)

Yes, indeed !

mister dog
20-05-2015, 21:26
To the OP please change the name of this thread to 'Belgian beers rule and there is no competition'. Thank you.

RubberDave
20-05-2015, 21:51
Sorry, I drink cider and continental Europe isn't very good at making that!

TheCrazySwede
20-05-2015, 22:05
Glad to read more positive feedback on here. The team definitively deserves it.

Also, Mr. Bell, I'm not much of a drinker, so I can't really offer you a descent one, but if you ever find yourself in the US, I'd be happy to beat you on a real track. (Awaiting the "Americans only know tracks that either go straight or only turn slightly left" jokes in 3, 2, 1...)

Cheers

Im Sorry
20-05-2015, 22:08
I will share a few Magners with you!

RetroNooB
21-05-2015, 05:44
Glad to read more positive feedback on here. The team definitively deserves it.

Also, Mr. Bell, I'm not much of a drinker, so I can't really offer you a descent one, but if you ever find yourself in the US, I'd be happy to beat you on a real track. (Awaiting the "Americans only know tracks that either go straight or only turn slightly left" jokes in 3, 2, 1...)

Cheers

I would like to see more american circuits, like road atlanta, circuit of the americas ect.

TrevorAustin
21-05-2015, 07:19
I'm from Ireland mate. I win.

Ah, so that explains the short fuse :) although threatening to silence someone takes on a whole new context, lol
North or South?

OrenIshii BE
21-05-2015, 07:34
I say 5 Belgian ones and he's under the table :)

Oh and on topic, this is a great project 'pun intented', and i'm looking forward on how PCARS will evolve this year. It's already the most addictive racing experience in the last 10 years, and to see there is still room for improvement only excites me even more. Also it feels great to be able to have a decent fan/dev. feedback channel through this forum in order to help this game reach it's true potential.

I'll have to second that :D

@Ian Bell:
if you wander off into beercountry belgium, i got a fridge full of special beers! (got around 25 different kinds atm)

And on topic:
I'm absolutely loving this game, SMS sets a new standard for console racers, even with the issues this game kicks Forza's ass.
And i'm really glad there's a new player in town for 'SIM'-racing on Xbox One. Keeps other devellopers on their toes.
And if i'm honest, i'm looking forward to Turn10s Forza 6, hope they kick it up a notch, so SMS has to do even better in supporting/updating Project Cars, and maybe start on a new forza-killer!
The ball is in Turn10s court :D

MULTIVITZ
21-05-2015, 10:28
I've said some harsh words about the game only to realise my 'speed sensitivity' was too high and hampering the handling. It is a magnificent game. It has been made different, that will start a new franchise, not being able to see who got the fastest lap regardless of runoffs is sacrilege imo. I just hope the graphics brighten up, or at least a link to a help guide? When I squint my eyes if looks like I'm playing toca 1. Lol only joking, thanks to us all for getting this type of game away from the ignorant greedy burocrates. What a task its been and it's not over yet, lets hope some bludclud doesn't stop all the updates this game needs. You see Sony at E3, lets hope we don't have to fill their inbox with complaints!

MULTIVITZ
21-05-2015, 10:34
F#@k turn frickin' ten, they didn't give the ball back!

bc525
21-05-2015, 15:35
I would like to see more american circuits, like road atlanta, circuit of the americas ect.

Circuit of the Americas - yes, we need to see this track in the game.