PDA

View Full Version : Game is unplayable...controls are terrible.

deviant88
19-05-2015, 19:44
Sorry to make a complain thread that everyone is going to bash but before a purchase the game should come with a disclaimer/Warning "NOT PLAYABLE ON PC WITH GAMEPAD/KEYBOARD/MOUSE".
Im sorry i played many racing games simulators and arcade,F1 series shift series and many more without assists manual shifting and full realism etc and ive managed to do quite well with my gamepad and keyb.
But this game is not playable.
With keyboard or mouse the wheel is all over the place and has an annoying deadzone in the middle even with deadzone and sensitivity at 0.

Gamepad barely works i managed to finish a couple of races and its all good until assists are off.
Brakes/Throttle- without pedals the sliding of the car is insane like im driving on ice and the brakes lock makes it worse my tires wear off after 1-2 laps and becomes ice skating with a car not driving.
Cars are too wobbly,when i do short taps left/right steering the cars act really weird jumpy like it doesnt have any shock absorbers only very stiff springs which is very unrealistic.

When i want to save from a slide its worse,i have to just let the car spin,if i try any countersteering oh god the wheel jumps from one side to another + springy problems mentioned above goes into an unrecoverable spining that ruins my car even more.

And here comes the number 1 ruining part of the game, everytime my car slips outside the track even a bit my lap times get invalidated,i ragequited after a day of trying to qualify in career and online without success.
All the problems with controls mentioned above + agreesive penalties and i cant do anything in this game,only to start my race on last position and have a terrible racing experience.

I wish you would fix these problems but as it goes with games nowdays no hope for anything.
Sorry this game is too unpolished in the controls area for a racing simulator,feels broken at times.

Isnt there anyway to make a different steering/acceleration/brake control system for gamepad/keyboard? it would probably need more assists or a system that simulates over time braking/throtle,for example when i press up arrow(or any custom throtle button) the acceleration goes from 0% to 100% over 1-2 seconds and have a different button for 100% acceleration,same for braking.How am i suposed to not lock the brakes or fishtail with on/off buttons on throtle/brakes with no control over them?:culpability:

Jaroslav Turna
19-05-2015, 19:46
The game is very playable using pad. Period. You just have to learn. This is no NFS. Use the assists in the beginning and maybe try the pad settings from my signature.

deviant88
19-05-2015, 19:56
The game is very playable using pad. Period. You just have to learn. This is no NFS. Use the assists in the beginning and maybe try the pad settings from my signature.

I dont have Xbox controller,my regular gamepad is unplayable.There is nothing to learn from on/off throttle/brakes tapping them doesnt help like in other sim/games.And ive tried all sorts of pad settings similar to your sig nothing works its just badly coded.
And i tought it couldnt get any worse i just tried a Formula A car with no traction control > direct spin into a wall, i cant take a single turn,very wobbly/too sensitive, i played F1 2012/2013 for a looong time with no assists this simulator is a joke.
I dont have any words for it other than unplayable.

Jaroslav Turna
19-05-2015, 20:00
What is regular gamepad (would be nice to give a link or something)? You mean pad with no analog input? If so, then I'm sorry ... you cannot drive a full on simulator with digital input with no assists. Try driving real car like that. If you switch assists on, then the game is playable even with keyboard. If your pad has analog input, then you have to spend more time learning. Forget Codies F1 ... think real cars.

Mahjik
19-05-2015, 20:00
What gamepad are you using? We do have players using keyboards and gamepads, so there is a wealth if information that can be provided if this is what you want. If you just want to vent, you likely won't receive as much help as could be possible.

deviant88
19-05-2015, 20:11
Like i said its just a regular cheapo gamepad but worked very well with most games except this one.http://www.gembird.cn/default.aspx?op=products&op2=item&id=5242

I also tried mouse mode for steering doesnt work its imposible to steer with it tried multiple setting and sensitivity no luck.

And as i said if game was near unplayable with keyb/pad the game should have shown a freaking warning before purchase im so pissed right now.

Its not like i cant afford a wheel but i dont want a cheap one,i had one in the past and it wasnt great.

Umer Ahmad
19-05-2015, 20:17
Can you borrow a better gamepad from friend? Just as test?

Jaroslav Turna
19-05-2015, 20:18
Your gamepad seems to be fine. Also others play the game using keyboard. Only advice I can offer is - calm down, try driving slower at first (GT3 cars are quiet easy to control) and try to drive like in RL, not like you are used to from other games. AND SET ASSISTS ON IN THE BEGINNING OR AT LEAST TO REAL! You can switch them off once you get used to this sim.

Input may be far from what you are used to, but also is far from unusable.

k.merse
19-05-2015, 20:20
Because it is a simulator. You can't expect it to be easy to drive without proper hardware. It's like you would want to make a surgery with a kitchen knife and a saw. It is possible, yes, but it's unlikely that you would succeed.

TonyF68
19-05-2015, 20:22
Like i said its just a regular cheapo gamepad but worked very well with most games except this one.http://www.gembird.cn/default.aspx?op=products&op2=item&id=5242

I also tried mouse mode for steering doesnt work its imposible to steer with it tried multiple setting and sensitivity no luck.

And as i said if game was near unplayable with keyb/pad the game should have shown a freaking warning before purchase im so pissed right now.

Its not like i cant afford a wheel but i dont want a cheap one,i had one in the past and it wasnt great.

I can't say that I agree with your assessment. I'm playing on the PC with a game pad. Admittedly it is an X-box pad. The game is far from unplayable. It's very challenging and takes practice, but good results can be achieved. I've been taking my time, and patiently practicing in the less demanding cars. Only recently have I gotten to the point where I have taken off the assists. It is tough. Errors do come back to hurt you. However, the feeling of achievement when you pull off a couple of good, clean laps is great. More to the point, practice does bring improvement.

Roger Prynne
19-05-2015, 20:27
Yeah your pad looks better than the Xbox pad to me.

wraithsrike
19-05-2015, 20:28
Honestly buddy this game has a steap learning curve, I play on the xbox one and my controller / Steering is VERY hyper sensitive, but not unplayable.

This game will bite you if you drive in an arcade style, practice buddy then practice practice some more.

deviant88
19-05-2015, 21:06
Its fine if you dont agree with me or dont believe me,i still cant play.

You can test something yourself, go in free mode any car,i tested with audi r8 v10, bring you car to a full stop somewhere straight and do a quick left right with keyboard/wheel/pad whatever you have,i tried keyboard/pad and look at the car being jumpy for no reason.
Now try in real life and other racing games/simulators if you can, and tell me does your car wobble from side to side when steer fast left/right while full stopeed? that wobble gets even worse at higher speeds.
If you guys are truly simulator enthusiasts you cant tell me thats how it should be.

Gamepad or not if cant even countersteer then wheres the challenge? all i have to do is perfect drive so i dont lose it, anyway i give up ill wait for patches if they dont fix it its just a lost cause i guess.
Maybe with wheel is awesome like most racing games,cant tell and im not going to buy an expensive wheel just to test this game out that i believe has a bit broken physics and controls.

Pirategenius
19-05-2015, 21:12
Buy a wheel man. You can get them on EBay for PC from 10.

Pink_650S
19-05-2015, 21:26
...i played F1 2012/2013 for a looong time with no assists this simulator is a joke.

Bringing those games up makes you look like a joke, actually. :hopelessness:

SIR_Driftalot
19-05-2015, 21:45
Sorry to make a complain thread that everyone is going to bash but before a purchase the game should come with a disclaimer/Warning "NOT PLAYABLE ON PC WITH GAMEPAD/KEYBOARD/MOUSE".
Im sorry i played many racing games simulators and arcade,F1 series shift series and many more without assists manual shifting and full realism etc and ive managed to do quite well with my gamepad and keyb.
But this game is not playable.
With keyboard or mouse the wheel is all over the place and has an annoying deadzone in the middle even with deadzone and sensitivity at 0.

Gamepad barely works i managed to finish a couple of races and its all good until assists are off.
Brakes/Throttle- without pedals the sliding of the car is insane like im driving on ice and the brakes lock makes it worse my tires wear off after 1-2 laps and becomes ice skating with a car not driving.
Cars are too wobbly,when i do short taps left/right steering the cars act really weird jumpy like it doesnt have any shock absorbers only very stiff springs which is very unrealistic.

When i want to save from a slide its worse,i have to just let the car spin,if i try any countersteering oh god the wheel jumps from one side to another + springy problems mentioned above goes into an unrecoverable spining that ruins my car even more.

And here comes the number 1 ruining part of the game, everytime my car slips outside the track even a bit my lap times get invalidated,i ragequited after a day of trying to qualify in career and online without success.
All the problems with controls mentioned above + agreesive penalties and i cant do anything in this game,only to start my race on last position and have a terrible racing experience.

I wish you would fix these problems but as it goes with games nowdays no hope for anything.
Sorry this game is too unpolished in the controls area for a racing simulator,feels broken at times.

Isnt there anyway to make a different steering/acceleration/brake control system for gamepad/keyboard? it would probably need more assists or a system that simulates over time braking/throtle,for example when i press up arrow(or any custom throtle button) the acceleration goes from 0% to 100% over 1-2 seconds and have a different button for 100% acceleration,same for braking.How am i suposed to not lock the brakes or fishtail with on/off buttons on throtle/brakes with no control over them?:culpability:

Im actually a little confused by your OP...

At first you say you can do ok until you turn all the assists off, then you ask the developers to add more assists to support your lack of competiveness with your chosen peripherals?

It seems to me as if you think you might be better than you actually are.

Im also really not sure how you expect a ~700 bhp car weighing around 600kg to react when you floor the throttle without traction control switched on?

basically your post says to me " I love driving simulators such as this game, I just wish they were less simulation, so I can win more".

Confusing.

EDIT: I actually have a nice wheel and pedal set, and I also struggle to get the power down out of slow corners using FA cars without it trying to switch ends with no TC. Its not the games fault! Ive also played all the CM F1 titles with no assists, It's simply because I'm not Lewis Hamilton incarnate and I need to practice, or use the assists already provided to me to match my skill set.

RacingTopsy
19-05-2015, 22:58
Nevermind, misread a word..

thisisbleep
20-05-2015, 00:21
Xbox 360 wired controller works well on the PC version, I really do not know what you are complaining about. A wheel would be faster and gives better control, but not everyone has one and a controller is a good alternative.

apexatspeed
20-05-2015, 00:52
The controls are terrible, but it is not unplayable.

madmax2069
20-05-2015, 01:01
The controls are only terrible until you find a setting for the controller you're comfortable with. I looked around at people's posted controller settings and went from there, now the settings are almost perfect for me with a controller (no it will never be as great as a wheel would be).

But its very playable with a controller with the proper settings.

Spirit X
20-05-2015, 01:15
Personally I think the main reason people say it feels terrible with a controller is because the FFB isn't very good on controller so you can't really tell what the car is doing.

I think the 'controls' are fine with practice and patience, but the controller will always be iffy unless the FFB is updated to inform the player of the grip state of the car. I remember Back in the day Gran Turismo 3 did this perfectly and after playing it for a while you could really feeeel the road through the controller.

Avetorian
20-05-2015, 01:25

After introducing a couple of my friends to the game, they picked up and are having trouble with their game pads, when we race online they can barely keep their car straight, unfortunately some settings that have been recommended have been no use to them on the PC version, do you have any advice for those who are on PC and having difficulty with the gamepad? thanks.

MABlosfeld
20-05-2015, 01:37

Cheesenium
20-05-2015, 02:07
I would advise that you should start with easier cars such as various GT3s or slower cars like A45 AMG. Jumping straight into powerful cars like FA is like an invitation to the wall. I recommended GT3s because they have traction controls and ABS to keep the car stable while they are really fast around the track.

I had been with the game as a backer since 2011, I still cant really drive FA till now. Thats 4 years with hundreds of hours in the game yet still cant really drive FA. There are quite a few cars, such as Ford Sierra, FA, LMP1s, Oreca and so on are not designed to be beginner friendly as you need to learn it's characteristics and behavior before you can drive it competitively.

Alternatively, turn on assists.

Jeckert7
20-05-2015, 02:25
People need to understand that this game is not like other racing games. You can't just get in a car a drive fast...you need to understand how and when to shift, brake and accelerate. It takes time to learn as I'm guessing 99.9% of players are not real race drivers. Everyone needs to stop blaming the game, the cars drive exactly how they should. Learn how to set up a car properly, watch tutorials on driving technique and practice...simple.

FACT0RY PIL0T
20-05-2015, 03:16
People need to understand that this game is not like other racing games. You can't just get in a car a drive fast...you need to understand how and when to shift, brake and accelerate. It takes time to learn as I'm guessing 99.9% of players are not real race drivers. Everyone needs to stop blaming the game, the cars drive exactly how they should. Learn how to set up a car properly, watch tutorials on driving technique and practice...simple.Yes this is true, but I will say having a decent knoledge of how the setups work etc etc there are some underlying issues with the game, i could go off like i usually do on the Devs, and already went round with them once 2 years ago, but im trying to change my ways, and try to help them understand what im seeing. When am i gonna do this im not sure, and i really dont want to just add to the fire already going. But if they want to here my gripes they know how to get a hold of me, and i can say what it is i have got on my mind. Its not all bad, and its pretty good, but if your expecting an arcade racer you just get in and go really fast, you should think about something else.

There are free setups people are handing out, take the time read up learn and once you understand more and come to grips with it working your way up, you may realize just what you have and how good it can be.

Shogun613
20-05-2015, 05:47
Mapping the throttle to an analog stick and leaning proper throttle control will work wonders for you, OP.

Shinzah
20-05-2015, 06:21
Mapping the throttle to an analog stick and leaning proper throttle control will work wonders for you, OP.

My throttle and brake are mapped to buttons.

Too hard controls they said. Unplayable they said. Can't use a controller they said.

I think people need to be less afraid of egotistical peen waving, turn on the assists, and enjoy the game. Default setup. 100% AI, Full Aids + Full Damage + Full Wear. Dualshock 3 via MotionInjoy set to Xinput.

Freakin' git gud.

TenthDan
20-05-2015, 06:54
To everyone: Try not to just dismiss someone else's concerns just because things are fine for you. Ask questions, exchange ideas, do what you can to help others get the enjoyment they should.

Dismissing concerns just increases frustration and won't create a better experience. I hope you get the controller working well deviant, there are some good suggestions

manudiao
20-05-2015, 09:30
This was exactly what I thought aswell when I first got the game. You have to take some time and look into the controller options and play around with deadzones and sensitivity. I really think they could have done a better job there on creating presets for controllers. steering sensitivity on 50%... really? how are you supposed to do precise turns on a controller with that or brake into a corner without spinning your rear around ;) Either look up for settings on this forum and try and tweak from there or do it on your own. Just be prepared: you can't enter the options menu while being on a track( unless I haven't found the options menu after ~30h in the game). What helped me a lot was setting the steering sensitivity to 0% which results in a linear curve compared to the exponential curve with 50% standard settings...

qbasiz
20-05-2015, 10:09
I'm using a xbox one controller on PC, and after some fiddeling around i have found settings that work ok for me.
However i still think its harder then it needs to be, because i have to turn the ffb (vibrate) off to have a stable experience.
Therefor i get no feedback from controller whatsoever when locking up or loosing traction mid corner, then inboard movement and sound
somewhat make up for that. But i still feel like it creates a steeper learning curve then necessary.

Another problem im having is countersteering, it feels inconsistent on my controller. Sometimes when the rear steps out i can correct with countersteer and throtlle,
great.. i lost time but stayed on track and learned my limits. However allot of the time, it violently overamplifies my countersteering inputs causing me to wiggle the tail of the car
at extreme angles (if i manage to hold on) to a complete standstill. This is not a constant thing so not sure if its track related, or has to do with something else.

I now drive with assist on real, A.I. between 85-90 and having a great time with the game in singleplayer and online (GT and lower formula's), still have allot of learning to do and i enjoy that.
But i feel like "simply" having my controller vibrate in the right moments would increase my sensation of (learning to) drive allot.

i have gas/brakes on triggers, and shift with X and B (and use auto cluth because i cant seem to get smooth down shifts when mapping clutch to A button:()

I know you guys must have allot on your plate, and i really like the game.. but having this fixed would make me a very happy man

MedManRN
20-05-2015, 17:49
I have an Xbox 360 wired controller, the game used to recognize it but after an update it no longer does, it only shows xbox one controller. AND when I try to reset the options to some custom settings it won't save it. If I goto a race calender then back to options controllers it all set to default. can someone please help me with why it's doing this?

Thanks

jgaganas
20-05-2015, 18:02
I have an Xbox 360 wired controller, the game used to recognize it but after an update it no longer does, it only shows xbox one controller. AND when I try to reset the options to some custom settings it won't save it. If I goto a race calender then back to options controllers it all set to default. can someone please help me with why it's doing this?

Thanks

Works fine with my 360-Wired (i'm using the xbox-one "classic" profile)... did you tried another usb-port already?

Edit: There is no "Xbox 360" profile (you have to use the xbox one one <- nice english!) Is this your problem?

Roger Prynne
20-05-2015, 18:03

Thanks

I think you have to use whatever the game detects.... set it up for what it detects and then try again.
Some peeps had the same problem with some wheels as well.

MartinMWWebb
26-06-2015, 08:13

wraithsrike
26-06-2015, 08:44
To everyone: Try not to just dismiss someone else's concerns just because things are fine for you. Ask questions, exchange ideas, do what you can to help others get the enjoyment they should.

Dismissing concerns just increases frustration and won't create a better experience. I hope you get the controller working well deviant, there are some good suggestions

Well said.

bcruise
26-06-2015, 09:19
All about the settings IMO. I went through a controller configuration guide found on this site, and towards the end of testing through all the settings I could run consistent laps like this on my DS4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-5h6RceaAo

note: not perfect - but pretty smooth except for the couple of times where I lost too much speed in a turn and the car twitched in a direction. Lap time was 1:48.

PS4 version BTW. Although I recently double-dipped on the PC version and am getting close to the same performance out of my wired 360 controller (FPS optimization is more my concern there right now...)

I can't claim for the KB to be that reliable even with good settings, but with a controller/w analog like the one you posted you should be able to run smoothly enough. Try lowering the steering sensitivity all the way to 0 and speed sensitivity above 50, for starters. For me speed sensitivity is the big one - having it really high will make small stick movements on a straightaway much more gradual and safe, but raise it too high and you'll understeer right through turns even when driving at the right entry speed.

Oh, and F1's are twitchy bats out of hell even for me - still working on that one. Fortunately I'm not driving them much - a lot of GT3's.