PDA

View Full Version : Water Temperature?

Martakus
19-05-2015, 21:24
Hi, is there any way of displaying the water temperature in the HUD when the wheel display doesnīt show it? Iīve had some problems with overheating in LMP1 - even during an evening race with the cooler 75% open. To get a feel for how far Iīve got to open it, I need a display like I had in LMP2...

nhitrac
19-05-2015, 21:58
Dont think so, but I use a 3rd party app for my phone and have water/oil temp displayed there. No affiliations, just a happy customer - but its called HUD Dash.

On a side note, are some of these cars a bit prone to overheating? E.g. the RUF RGT8. One lap around the Nords and its pushing 100. Had to short shift and take it easy.

I also noticed that it overheats a lot more (~115 - 120) when your racing behind someone. Don't know if its because the lack of airflow has been 'simulated' or if its just because you push harder during a race...

TahPope
20-05-2015, 10:12
I got the overheating in LMP1 all the time. Only race I could finish was Monza. Every other race ended with a blown engine.
It might be something to do with the way I change gears. I use 1st gear in slow corners.
Do you use 1st gear other than race start?

Blackvault
20-05-2015, 10:13
I got the overheating in LMP1 all the time. Only race I could finish was Monza. Every other race ended with a blown engine.
It might be something to do with the way I change gears. I use 1st gear in slow corners.
Do you use 1st gear other than race start?

Maybe open up your radiator in the car's setup?

Also even the slightest tap to the car can damage the radiator.

I hope this helps.

Pete

danowat
20-05-2015, 10:17
Hi, is there any way of displaying the water temperature in the HUD when the wheel display doesnīt show it? Iīve had some problems with overheating in LMP1 - even during an evening race with the cooler 75% open. To get a feel for how far Iīve got to open it, I need a display like I had in LMP2...

Bind a key to "change MOTEC pages", and you can bring up fluid temps on the MOTEC display

TahPope
20-05-2015, 10:17
Maybe open up your radiator in the car's setup?

Also even the slightest tap to the car can damage the radiator.

I hope this helps.

Pete

I tried opening up the radiator but it didn't help. Maybe I opened it too little (if I remember correctly it was about 70%).
It can be damage related. In endurance races there were couple backmarkers per race that I bumped into.
Have to test it more.
Thanks for the tips.

Blackvault
20-05-2015, 10:23
I tried opening up the radiator but it didn't help. Maybe I opened it too little (if I remember correctly it was about 70%).
It can be damage related. In endurance races there were couple backmarkers per race that I bumped into.
Have to test it more.
Thanks for the tips.

I always set it to 100% to give the engine as much air as it can.

Bumping into back markers will definitely case damage to the radiator.

If I do see the temperatures rising, I try and shift as low as I can to stop putting the engine through extra work. Sometimes it does't always work and the engine goes back.

The joys of racing I'm afraid :)

Pete

TahPope
20-05-2015, 10:27
If I do see the temperatures rising, I try and shift as low as I can to stop putting the engine through extra work. Sometimes it does't always work and the engine goes back.

The joys of racing I'm afraid :)

Pete

What do you mean by that? You keep the revs as low as possible or you keep the gear as low as possible?
Thanks in advance.

Blackvault
20-05-2015, 10:29
What do you mean by that? You keep the revs as low as possible or you keep the gear as low as possible?
Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the confusion. I try and keep in a low a gear as possible but the main objective for me is to keep the revs low.

Also accelerating down the straights at less than 100% throttle and lifting and coasting as well helps.

Basically anything to limit the stress on the engine.

Hope that helps

Pete

danowat
20-05-2015, 10:29
Thanks in advance.

Short shifting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_shifting

thomasjohansen
20-05-2015, 10:36
the android app HUD DASH (only works with pc), works for me showing tire wear, temps, damages etc. though I had to buy it (to get multiple dashes), but worth it.
You have to run a program in the background on your windows pc. and in game "shared memory" must be activated.

TahPope
20-05-2015, 10:53
Sorry for the confusion. I try and keep in a low a gear as possible but the main objective for me is to keep the revs low.

Also accelerating down the straights at less than 100% throttle and lifting and coasting as well helps.

Basically anything to limit the stress on the engine.

Hope that helps

Pete

Short shifting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_shifting

Thanks for the advice guys. Have to adapt it to my racing.

doyley101
20-05-2015, 10:59
Don't the LMP1 cars display temps on the default wheel HUD anyway? If not bind a change MOTEC key and flick through to your hearts content. It can be very useful when you get used to it.

On a separate note, isn't it the oil temps that actually kill the engine? I assumed the water heats up as a result of having to cool the hot oil in the engine. Could be wrong though

WhiteNinja636
20-05-2015, 11:03
Some cars its impossible to know what the oil/water temps are. The gauges are in the dash but they are obscured by the wheel.

spinkick
21-05-2015, 06:54
I think they need to show aero and radiator damage more, if I tap somone in the McClaren f1, my water temp go through the roof

Blackvault
21-05-2015, 07:26
I think they need to show aero and radiator damage more, if I tap somone in the McClaren f1, my water temp go through the roof

Aero and Engine damage is output via the API and a number of the third party telemetry applications (http://www.projectcarsgame.com/apps.html) on the PC display the information.

I hope this helps

Pete

TrevorAustin
21-05-2015, 08:00
Have to test it more.
Thanks for the tips.
It will be that, if my water temp climbs.qbove 100 i know I'm heading for a breakdown. Just clipping bollards can do it. Thats running a bog standard car. Bumping aomebody, even slowly, head on almodt.guarantees it withim 5-10 laps

Martakus
21-05-2015, 08:10
Thats my problem... In the LMP1 Audi, all I can bring up on the MOTEC (I guess thatīs what the wheel display is called?) Are Lap times&Speed, tire temperatures and brake temperatures. No water temperatures :/
And I donīt think HUD Dash would work for me because my PC canīt connect to my phone via wifi. The website thatīs the only way to run it...?

Franco Ferrari
21-05-2015, 09:16
all I can bring up on the MOTEC (I guess thatīs what the wheel display is called?) Are Lap times&Speed, tire temperatures and brake temperatures. No water temperatures :/

Yes, the big display is the MOTEC.
It has several pages for you to cycle through.
You just need to assign a button to the "Cycle MOTEC Display" action,and in game use it to loop through the pages until you find the temperatures one.

(I'm not at home right now, and I can't check ATM. But I will this evening if you still have difficulties)

TrevorAustin
21-05-2015, 10:07
Aero and Engine damage is output via the API and a number of the third party telemetry applications (http://www.projectcarsgame.com/apps.html) on the PC display the information.

I hope this helps

Pete

This works perfectly for me, although as I'm using a rift it does mean my wife has to have the TV on with all my telemetry data, telling me what's going ON:)

Is there any way to get time to driver in front and behind through the telelmetry? That would be very useful, to know if it's worth pushing near the end of a race or pit stop windows, etc?

Bealdor
21-05-2015, 10:40
Yes, the big display is the MOTEC.
It has several pages for you to cycle through.
You just need to assign a button to the "Cycle MOTEC Display" action,and in game use it to loop through the pages until you find the temperatures one.

(I'm not at home right now, and I can't check ATM. But I will this evening if you still have difficulties)

AFAIK the R18 doesn't show oil and water temps on any MOTEC page. It's the only LMP1 that doesn't though...

WhiteNinja636
21-05-2015, 10:57
What about cars like this; the M1 procar I can't even see what the top 2 gauges say and I don't even know what are for since I can't read German

danowat
21-05-2015, 11:05
What about cars like this; the M1 procar I can't even see what the top 2 gauges say and I don't even know what are for since I can't read German

On the road version the coolant temp is on the right, not sure about the race car with binnacle though.

WhiteNinja636
21-05-2015, 11:15
So I need to have intimate knowledge of every car to know these things? One of the annoying things about the game is the cockpit view isn't my preferred camera view, the roof view is. So every straight I need to cycle through the cameras to read the gauges to make sure I'm not pushing the engine too hard.

Espen S. Andresen
21-05-2015, 11:23
So I need to have intimate knowledge of every car to know these things? One of the annoying things about the game is the cockpit view isn't my preferred camera view, the roof view is. So every straight I need to cycle through the cameras to read the gauges to make sure I'm not pushing the engine too hard.

There's an option that solves both these issues; turn the HUD on. Then you will have a motec display in the bottom right corner, giving you access to whatever gauge you want, no matter what view you're using.

WhiteNinja636
21-05-2015, 11:33
I thought that was only for the motec wheels in some of the race cars. I currently have that button assigned and could never see anything change when I pressed it, I will have another look at it tomorrow and see if I can figure it out.

danowat
21-05-2015, 11:38
I thought that was only for the motec wheels in some of the race cars. I currently have that button assigned and could never see anything change when I pressed it, I will have another look at it tomorrow and see if I can figure it out.

The Renault Megane dash changes when you press the change MOTEC button as well.

Espen S. Andresen
21-05-2015, 11:46

Ah, well maybe "motec" is the wrong term then - but you'll get an on-screen display with all this info if you turn on HUD in visual settings ("full" or "light" should do the trick). Then you can cycle the pages there as well as in-car with the "cycle motec" button.
You can also customize your HUD btw, for instance if you want only the "motec" display and nothing else.

(sorry if i've gotten some of the menu item names wrong - i'm at work without access to the game)

WhiteNinja636
22-05-2015, 05:41
So i have just had a test of the motec button, it ONLY changes the telemetry on the steering wheel on cars equipped with a display on the wheel. Pressing it has made no difference to any other HUD or telemetry display.
So if i wanted to know what the water/oil temp was in any car i would have to change to a view where the wheel or dash was visible. Annoying.

Franco Ferrari
22-05-2015, 08:40

There's an option in the (IIRC) "Camera" menu of the "Options" screen, where you can hide the steering wheel from the cockpit view.
It's used mostly by those who use a steering wheel IRL and get distracted by the virtual one, but you can use it to look at the full cockpit dashboard.

WhiteNinja636
22-05-2015, 08:56
There's an option in the (IIRC) "Camera" menu of the "Options" screen, where you can hide the steering wheel from the cockpit view.
It's used mostly by those who use a steering wheel IRL and get distracted by the virtual one, but you can use it to look at the full cockpit dashboard.

Only the 'Show Helmet' option that i can see.

Bealdor
22-05-2015, 09:11
Only the 'Show Helmet' option that i can see.

Look under Options -> Gameplay -> Onscreen Guides and Display

CPS-3
22-05-2015, 22:19
My HUD is on full (mirror on) and as far as i know It only works with GT3 cars. But I don't use the cockpit or any other in car views but hood view, except for the open wheels. SO I don't see the MOTEC display and it is not showing in the HUD on the bottom right corner.

Franco Ferrari
23-05-2015, 13:13
My HUD is on full (mirror on) and as far as i know It only works with GT3 cars. But I don't use the cockpit or any other in car views but hood view, except for the open wheels. SO I don't see the MOTEC display and it is not showing in the HUD on the bottom right corner.

Have you tried cycling the HUD modes while in the hood camera?
There are 4 modes: 1) full HUD, 2) full HUD + rv-mirrors 3) telemetry 4) none

1 and 2 show the MOTEC display just like the cockpit camera *... and you can cycle through the MOTEC pages too.

* for those cars equipped with MOTEC at least.

Roger Prynne
23-05-2015, 13:22
Is it different on PS4 and X1 though? as I know it's easy to do those things on PC.

spinkick
23-05-2015, 17:45
This works perfectly for me, although as I'm using a rift it does mean my wife has to have the TV on with all my telemetry data, telling me what's going ON:)

Is there any way to get time to driver in front and behind through the telelmetry? That would be very useful, to know if it's worth pushing near the end of a race or pit stop windows, etc?

That's a cool wife!!

CPS-3
24-05-2015, 12:44
Have you tried cycling the HUD modes while in the hood camera?
There are 4 modes: 1) full HUD, 2) full HUD + rv-mirrors 3) telemetry 4) none

1 and 2 show the MOTEC display just like the cockpit camera *... and you can cycle through the MOTEC pages too.

* for those cars equipped with MOTEC at least.

No can't see it. If I cycle through the HUD modes i never see water or oil temperature. In the bottom right corner where the tires are it doesn't appear and in the telemetry i can't see it either....

Roger Prynne
24-05-2015, 12:53
Watch this.....

http://youtu.be/gy7z-u4zHts

CPS-3
24-05-2015, 14:31
That video had nothing to do with my question. I said that I can't see those things when i'm driving with hood view.
The problem with the motec info is that you can only see it when you're in the cockpit and i don't drive like that so I don't see all the useful info.
And even in the cockpit view it's not always that good to read with some cars.

Roger Prynne
24-05-2015, 14:43
So you mean you don't see this?

CPS-3
24-05-2015, 15:49
I can see that, but I don't see the water and oil temp. Some info that is showing on the wheel INSIDE the car is not showing when you have a view outside the car and especially the oil and water tmp I would like to see in the HUD in the bottom right.

Roger Prynne
24-05-2015, 17:33
That video had nothing to do with my question. I said that I can't see those things when i'm driving with hood view.
The problem with the motec info is that you can only see it when you're in the cockpit and i don't drive like that so I don't see all the useful info.
And even in the cockpit view it's not always that good to read with some cars.

Sorry mate you are right and you cant see the different motec views from external views, I normally use internal view and thought you could see them in external view as well.

CPS-3
24-05-2015, 18:07
No prob mate, but now you know and it would be a useful addition to the hud for external views. I also can't see the sort of tires like in your picture. On PS4 it's just green without the grooves.

Roger Prynne
24-05-2015, 18:41
Yes it would be a useful addition...
That was a very old screenshot and PC is the same as yours now I think.

WhiteNinja636
24-05-2015, 21:44
If the external motec hud would cycle info like the wheel does in cockpit view it would be ideal and would definitely mean I wouldn't blow up so many engines

Marcos Eberhardt
29-05-2015, 21:47
Can we have water and oil temp in the Telemetry screen in the future? For consoles mainly since we don't have any app to get those values in some cars... (Audi LMP1 for example)

Ian Bell
29-05-2015, 21:50
Can we have water and oil temp in the Telemetry screen in the future? For consoles mainly since we don't have any app to get those values in some cars... (Audi LMP1 for example)

I thought they were on the Motec cycle for LMP1's.

Could be wrong though.

Doug914
29-05-2015, 23:10
Yes, right there on the first page next to the gear indicator - water and oil boxes. Any closer and they'd bite you.:)

Every car has them available one way or another as far as i know.

WhiteNinja636
29-05-2015, 23:27
The issue (for me at least) is you can only see the water/oil temp in cockpit or helmet view where you are reading the info off the dash/wheel. I prefer to race in bonnet/roof view and currently there is no way for me to know the engine temps without cycling into the cockpit then back to my preferred view.

GenBrien
29-05-2015, 23:32
plus there is some cars like the mclaren gt3 and mercedes gt3 where it is very small and nearly unreadable on Tv

Roger Prynne
29-05-2015, 23:54
Yeah I think it needs to go into the telemetry screen at least.

Marcos Eberhardt
30-05-2015, 14:41
Yes, right there on the first page next to the gear indicator - water and oil boxes. Any closer and they'd bite you.:)

Every car has them available one way or another as far as i know.

The Audi R18 has 6 spaces in each page, the middle and botton right ones are always RPM and Speed. (own display, not motec)

1st page shows: Current time lap / Partials and tire temps
2nd page: one 0/99 thing that I'm unable to find out what is (but it isnt temp), Fuel, Average fuel per lap and fuel used last lap
3rd page: one green think that I believe is how much brake in is the rear, one blank space and brake temps

I already overheated to find any slightly change on the panel but was unable to find it
:/ I should be all bitten right now

Bealdor
30-05-2015, 17:31
Yes, the R18 TDI doesn't have a water and oil temp indicator indeed.

SpeedFreakDTM
17-06-2015, 12:19
What is the optimal temp for the water and oil to be at during a race? Ive noticed some of my cars, sitting around 50-52 for oil and water, and that seemed a little cold to me.

I was wondering, if there was a temp that produced the best performance from the engine, not too hot and not too cold?

Liquid7394
17-06-2015, 12:56
It would be nice to have this kind of information available on the telemetry HUD or something. I play using hood cam and having to switch to cockpit view is annoying.

Equation
17-06-2015, 13:08
What is the optimal temp for the water and oil to be at during a race? Ive noticed some of my cars, sitting around 50-52 for oil and water, and that seemed a little cold to me.

I was wondering, if there was a temp that produced the best performance from the engine, not too hot and not too cold?

I found that it is 110-127 °C (changed °F to °C).
www.motorstate.com/TheTemperaturesandPressuresofRacing.htm
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/1310-engine-oil-temperature/

nhitrac
17-06-2015, 13:29
I found that it is 110-127 °C (changed °F to °C).
www.motorstate.com/TheTemperaturesandPressuresofRacing.htm
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/1310-engine-oil-temperature/

But at this temp "in-game", my car starts puffing fluffy clouds...

I try to run mine between 90 and 99 over a 10 lap race.

Equation
18-06-2015, 08:30
But at this temp "in-game", my car starts puffing fluffy clouds...

I try to run mine between 90 and 99 over a 10 lap race.

Okey. I think it depends what motor you have in car. Some broken easier than others. I have to test that in 40 lap race.

PJ Dunham
18-06-2015, 12:51
Simple answer stop bumping into cars , I use HUD app on phone and pad for all info I need and it shows " Aero Damage " and I noticed anyone over 15% so basicly bumping into a backmarker under brakes sends the water and oil temp through the roof, a quick pit stop fixes the damage and temp falls again no dramas.
and ive tried this with Rad opening as low as 20 to 100% its always those little bumps that kills it.

Jubei2011
19-06-2015, 07:28
Hello mates,

I am missing the oil and water temp on the hud. I prefer to drive with the hood cam, in my humble opinion you get a better view of the street and the overall Racing immersion is way better. I have found the option cycle Motec LCD, but that applies only to the cockpit view. Is there any way to show this on the hud? Are the devs aware of this issue? I really don't know why it is only shown inside the cockpit makes no sense. If I didn't miss anything this should be fixed in a swift patch. Thank you!

Bealdor
19-06-2015, 07:32
Threads merged.