PDA

View Full Version : Ford Mustang 302R1

SpeedLimitUnknown
20-05-2015, 05:38
Has anyone tried this car with a controller? It feels like the suspension is broken with crazy body movements left and right. How does it feel with a wheel? Am I crazy or is this car feel broken!?

Shinzah
20-05-2015, 06:38
I'm assuming you mean the Boss Mustang 302R1 as the only Cobra R in the game is the Trans-Am.

Both of these cars are fine for me using a controller, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Perhaps you are not used to the solid axel simulation..?

Elmo
20-05-2015, 06:42
Title clarified and moved to The Garage - Car Setup Talk

Yes, the car drives quite differently compared to the other GT4 cars - but no it is not broken :)

Maybe you can get a few setup tips here to make it more controllable for you.

madmax2069
20-05-2015, 06:45
It drives just fine for me, used it to get the Eastbound & Down trophy using a controller.

Shinzah
20-05-2015, 06:51
It drives just fine for me, used it to get the Eastbound & Down trophy using a controller.

yay! Me too!

SpeedLimitUnknown
20-05-2015, 18:18
Thanks Elmo for title correction and moving thread to garage section, sorry about that!

Regarding the Mustang 302, I just find the steering to be overly responsive, like there's no weight to the car, no proper transition or progression when do quick left to right steering movements. If I drive the car from the external outside view it really shows how twitchy it is with lots of body roll. This also results in sudden snap over steer if any opposite lock corrections needs to be made mid turn. I know there are controller issues so maybe that's just exaggerated more with this particular vehicle. The M3 by comparison doesn't have this behaviour for me. What I'm really hoping for is SMS adds more controller options to slow the initial stick movement from center. Even at steering sensitivity of 0 the reaction of the car on slight inputs is too sudden.

o Mike V o
20-05-2015, 20:05
It drives like a Mustang thats for sure.

Shinzah
21-05-2015, 15:05
Thanks Elmo for title correction and moving thread to garage section, sorry about that!

Regarding the Mustang 302, I just find the steering to be overly responsive, like there's no weight to the car, no proper transition or progression when do quick left to right steering movements. If I drive the car from the external outside view it really shows how twitchy it is with lots of body roll. This also results in sudden snap over steer if any opposite lock corrections needs to be made mid turn. I know there are controller issues so maybe that's just exaggerated more with this particular vehicle. The M3 by comparison doesn't have this behaviour for me. What I'm really hoping for is SMS adds more controller options to slow the initial stick movement from center. Even at steering sensitivity of 0 the reaction of the car on slight inputs is too sudden.

I really don't have this issue with any solid axle car on controller. I think you may want to increase the steering ratio which should mitigate jerkiness and perhaps stiffen the car but be warned it's a reasonably heavy car and making it stiffer will compromise tire wear. That's a big part of why its set up so buttery soft.

xLeper_Messiah
21-05-2015, 15:12

I used the Focus :P Made it with 30 seconds to spare!

HBR-Roadhog
21-05-2015, 17:49

I'm not sure that setting the sensitivity to 0 would help any, may even make it worse.

Have you tried changing the steering ratio on the car? I also notice that it has a lot of front toe on it and seemed to do a bit better with a little less.

Alan Dallas
22-05-2015, 04:57
I'd also lower the ride height and raise the bump stops to match. Could also stiffen the Slow Bump damper rate both front and rear by one notch.

SpeedLimitUnknown
22-05-2015, 18:47
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I increased the steering ratio to max and made some changes to my controller settings which has helped a lot. I can now catch the car with opposite lock steering as long as I'm really delicate with the stick and it doesn't get too far sideways!

XPR Cap10Morgan
26-05-2015, 17:25
Can anyone who says they don't have any problems with this car using a controller please share what controller settings they are using. I know there are a ton of them out there (I've tried more than I can remember), but would really be helpful to know what settings are being used by those who enjoy this car. The controller settings I use at the moment are ok, but really struggle to keep this car in a straight line for more than 2 seconds. I would LOVE to try controller settings from one of you and see if it helps, or if I really just suck that bad.

Oh, and I know tuning can make a difference, but I'm still trying to find the ideal controller settings before moving on to tuning. I have seen so many people recently find a good setup and say it made all the difference in the world. Only reason I'm posting here is because this car in particular really gives me problems and looks like even OP corrected the issue with controller settings.

Pervasive
27-05-2015, 01:38
I was having a ton of issues only at slow speed only. My Flickr has my controller set up that made Bathurst fun again for me. I also lapped P2 in 28 lap race at hock national.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/124245756@N05/18081888531/

Flickr doesn't work very well from mobile

I find that longitude weight bias to the front works well and the initial diff set ups a bit much I do accel around 20 and Decel depends on track but 10-20.

I killed it at Dubai, hock, Bathurst. Sakitto was kicking my tail with the the hills and getting upset and then my steering with controller. I suffered through it then when I got to Bathurst and the same thing was happening - I had to drop the game for a bit - and by fluke I made some setting based off default #3 for my son and I tested it out I could drive the Clio (which I couldn't before at all, copied setting down and the Stang became a whole other car. I could actually drive on cold tires and Bathurst was FUN again.

I hope that helps. I'm assuming it's the controller filtering and speed sensitivity. That helped me. I plan on testing and opening up dead zones etc. but honestly I just want to have some fun with the game. So I've not experimented yet.

Pervasive
27-05-2015, 01:47
#3 setup
-----
75, 40
---
Advanced is off

Sorry but I can't post the pictures. Can't get the link from my phone.

XPR Cap10Morgan
27-05-2015, 02:16
THANKS! I will definitely check this out tomorrow! (I will post back for others if this helped)

XPR Cap10Morgan
27-05-2015, 19:03
Darn. This is what I was afraid of... these settings helped with the Mustang for sure. But was TOO limited in cars like Z4 GT3. I think I am going to have to keep a spreadsheet full of controller settings for each car, lol. But thanks again! These settings did help quite a bit with the Stang.

MULTIVITZ
27-05-2015, 19:36
I did a tune for it to go around Bathurst. The screen shot, my tune summary, is here in a lotus thread. My speed sensitivity is on 45 and I use the steering sensitivity to dial the turn in response. The guy I did it for said it was 5 seconds faster for him than one of his GT3 cars! It goes well for its weight! Not my cup of tea though.

Pervasive
27-05-2015, 19:46
I think tweaking this one will help - and I as far as differing cars - differing set ups I notice that my first setting which made the mustang to wild were great on say the Merc DTM - when I tried driving it again for a HLC with the current ones - it was different and I notice and thought the same thing as you did - but after two laps your brain just adjusts and I ended up doing a second quicker in it on that lap - but turning in just that bit sooner - cause i think there is a "lag" which makes it seem to "Understeer" in your brain - but you adapt to it.

I think the setting can be improved - and haven't spent the time to tweak. I was just so happy to actually feel like I was getting somewhere i decided to just role with it. I do think if you are to specialize in a car for a while it might be advantageous to adjust the controller setting to it. Grippy cars, I definitely can stand setting like

My Previous great with MERC DTM (but a little twitchy)/Current Mustang

Steering Deadzone 0 /10
Steering Sensitivity 0 /10
Throttle Deadzone 0 /10
Throttle Sensitivity 0 /30
Brake Deadzone 0 /10
Brake Sens 35 /15
Clutch Dead 0 /10
Clutch Sens 45 /40
Speed Sens 60 /75
Controller filtering 65 /40
Force feedback 80 /100

I got some experimenting to do - but like I said I ended up being just as fast in the Merc at Dubai, even a little faster after I adjusted to the new set up and drown out my old way of driving it - it was a bit "too tame" which isn't really a bad thing racing. I was able to do those laps over and over. But in Forza I was a deadzones 0-100 kind of guy so I'm sure I'm not done with the setting yet.

MULTIVITZ
27-05-2015, 23:53
You can drive mine on speed sensitivity 45 and it is fine, if I had it on anything higher it steers like putty! You wouldn't be able to drive around
Bathurst thats for sure. Ovals would be fine. Having too higher controller filter can spoil the steering input too!! Hope this helps yaw.