PDA

View Full Version : Guessing tyre wear.

dyr_gl
20-05-2015, 10:43
Given there's no wear indicator, we should at least get a rough stimation of how many laps/km a certain compound holds on. If I have a 30 minutes GT3 race I shouldn't have to do 2-3 race distances before to know what to use.

FACT0RY PIL0T
20-05-2015, 10:48
Well i know if you go from free play to tt the tire tems are higher in one compared to the other with the same exact setup soooo now what? At least this is what I have seen yesterday

Blackvault
20-05-2015, 10:51
Currently there is no information for this in the HUD however Ian did make a comment (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22811-Worn-Tyres&p=890311&viewfull=1#post890311) that he'd like it added to the list of improvements.

In general the GT soft slicks will last a stint which is 45 minutes, obviously depending on the track and how hard you're driving.

If you're using a PC you can use some of the 3rd party telemetry apps to see the data in real time.

I hope this helps.

Pete

jimmyb_84
20-05-2015, 11:03
What are the options for monitoring tyre wear on PS4? Does it show up in telemetry?

Could the vita be used to monitor other parameters via second screen?

dyr_gl
20-05-2015, 13:14
Don't get me wrong, even if you don't add a wear indicator it's all good, drivers don't have one... But we need more info about the compounds, we can't be left in the dark like this! We need life and grip rough estimations. We only have the name, that's damn poor.

CTR69
20-05-2015, 13:38
I always use soft compound, which lasts 30 minutes. So if there's approx 1h race, you do one pit stop in the middle, like in GT masters.

Bealdor
20-05-2015, 13:40
I always use soft compound, which lasts 30 minutes. So if there's approx 1h race, you do one pit stop in the middle, like in GT masters.

If you don't overdrive the car you can easily do 1h stints on a GT3 soft slick (in game and IRL).

Sankyo
20-05-2015, 13:41
What are the options for monitoring tyre wear on PS4? Does it show up in telemetry?

Could the vita be used to monitor other parameters via second screen?
It's not in the telemetry yet. On PC, the game has a Shared Memory option for 3rd-party apps to obtain and display this info, not sure if that would be possible on the Vita.

Yorkie065
20-05-2015, 14:07
The tyres in the game are based of their real life counter parts and have very similar wear rates. GT3's should be able to do 45 mins -1 hour on a set of softs, Formula B and Formula A should be similar to F1 and GP2 respectively (I believe) to use as some examples. Unfortunately the best way to obtain the information is spending the time in practice sessions on each compound and seeing how long they will last. Hopefully they will put some sort of telemetry view in for it though as it is needed and would be very useful to have especially as not everyone has access or the want to use third party programs. And like you requested, more info about each compound in the setup wouldn't go a miss either as some of the lesser known cars and classes that have fictional compounds and are the standard slick soft, medium or hard, inters or wets can be difficult to understand unless you spend time on each type. It would just be beneficial for everyone.

F1Aussie
20-05-2015, 14:14
Anyone know if there is any visual tyre wear, I haven't noticed any

Umer Ahmad
20-05-2015, 14:19
No, I don't think there is much visually.

F1Aussie
20-05-2015, 14:26
Bugger

DonPablo
20-05-2015, 14:38
i use pcars profiler. There u have a indicator for tire wear.

Mahjik
20-05-2015, 15:06
If you want to be like the big boys, there isn't anything in real life for real-time monitoring of wear other than what the driver is saying and their lap times.

Awong124
20-05-2015, 15:37
The tyres in the game are based of their real life counter parts and have very similar wear rates. GT3's should be able to do 45 mins -1 hour on a set of softs, Formula B and Formula A should be similar to F1 and GP2 respectively (I believe) to use as some examples. Unfortunately the best way to obtain the information is spending the time in practice sessions on each compound and seeing how long they will last. Hopefully they will put some sort of telemetry view in for it though as it is needed and would be very useful to have especially as not everyone has access or the want to use third party programs. And like you requested, more info about each compound in the setup wouldn't go a miss either as some of the lesser known cars and classes that have fictional compounds and are the standard slick soft, medium or hard, inters or wets can be difficult to understand unless you spend time on each type. It would just be beneficial for everyone.

The problem with real life F1 is that even when considering the same compound, they can have wildly varying wear life (in terms of both time and distance) depending on which track they are used on. It varies depending on the speed of the corners, track temperature, track surface, etc. So we can't really estimate that the soft compound on an F1 car will last 20 minutes, because it might last 20 minutes at Royal Albert Park in Australia, but last 40 minutes in Monaco. In order to estimate the life of a certain tire at a certain track, we would have to do extensive testing in practice for every race. I think that a wear indicator would be welcome even if not realistic, because I would imagine very few people will have the time to do that kind of testing before each race. But if a wear indicator is not implemented because of realism, then that's fair enough, I somewhat agree with that. Or even if a wear indicator is not implemented, give us rough estimate number of how many laps each tire will last for each race, as a number of people have already suggested. We can pretend that the testing has already been done for us, and save us some time.

For example, the system used in the F1 games is pretty good. They have both a wear indicator, and a rough estimate of the number of laps each tire will do while selecting tires in the pits. Even if the former is not implemented, whether it be too much work to develop or it's not realistic, the latter would be very nice to have and still be within the realm of realism.

And not only for tires, but for fuel as well. We should get an indicator in number of laps the fuel will last as well as in liters while setting fuel capacity in set up before the race and during pit stops.

dyr_gl
20-05-2015, 17:07
If you want to be like the big boys, there isn't anything in real life for real-time monitoring of wear other than what the driver is saying and their lap times.

Do you even read dude!!? We're OK with no lame HUD indicator if that's your approach (which it isn't, as proved by devs working on it). I'm OK with feeling the tyre fall myself. However, basic life estimations are a MUST. Drivers and teams know them even before arriving to a track. I shouldn't have to do 3 race distances to check what tyres to use for how long, I should be given a competitive preset strategy and then, if anything, do a couple of long runs to make sure my setup and driving will allow me to pull it.

Another thing the big boys have is a team of dozens of people monitoring every bit of info, and at the moment we can't even check vital reliability data like fluid temps in some cars.

Mahjik
20-05-2015, 18:36
Drivers and teams know them even before arriving to a track.

I shouldn't have to do 3 race distances to check what tyres to use for how long

How do they know? Testing. Tires perform differently depending on the abrasiveness of the tarmac, the setup of the car, and the driver's technique (i.e. some drivers are easier on tires than others). How they know how long the tires will last to plan strategies is testing. pCARS isn't much different in that respect. Some drivers will not slide the car as much thus causing lower wear, others will use scrubbing to slow their cars down which will cause higher wear.

My recommendation is to use the accelerated time functions. What I used to do with other sims is increase the time by X. Run laps until the tires fall off and then multiply the laps by the wear acceleration to see where I was at for that specific track. Each track will be a little different.

Mahjik
20-05-2015, 18:41
EDIT: I need to adjust that as I accelerate time and wear and then use time for planning pit stops based on tire behavior and/or fuel usage.

Slowsley
28-05-2015, 02:53
How do they know? Testing. Tires perform differently depending on the abrasiveness of the tarmac, the setup of the car, and the driver's technique (i.e. some drivers are easier on tires than others). How they know how long the tires will last to plan strategies is testing. pCARS isn't much different in that respect. Some drivers will not slide the car as much thus causing lower wear, others will use scrubbing to slow their cars down which will cause higher wear.

My recommendation is to use the accelerated time functions. What I used to do with other sims is increase the time by X. Run laps until the tires fall off and then multiply the laps by the wear acceleration to see where I was at for that specific track. Each track will be a little different.

And pCARS should be this way. You should have to test. I've probably played 100 hours and raced 3 times. Every factor matters and that's why it's awesome.

wOoDsTeR16
28-05-2015, 04:53

I have done plenty of 50min plus races on the softs and there has never been any changes in the way the car acts, or so it seems to me anyway?

DonPablo
28-05-2015, 09:05
I have done plenty of 50min plus races on the softs and there has never been any changes in the way the car acts, or so it seems to me anyway?

its no problem to drive 1 hour with soft tires in GT3. But then I lose time.
But maybe if u drive like Fernando Alonso u would notice it much ealier in lap time.

MULTIVITZ
28-05-2015, 09:21
Have a read of the thread 'tuning grind'. I don't guess tyre temps!

Mahjik
28-05-2015, 14:53

Right now the wear is a little off with the slick tires. SMS is working on adjustments in this space to ensure they are wearing properly (so you can probably get away with a few things today that you won't be able to in the near future).

badkarma
28-05-2015, 19:00
Just present the wear information when the car comes into the pits, not during driving. That would 1. provide the information after a practice stint. 2. Not give the driver extra info that he/she would not know out on the track.

Personally I think we have too much info given to us while in the car.

Gpruitt54
28-05-2015, 19:37
Go online and Google Dash Meter Pro. It is an excellent app that works with your Smart Phone or Tablet. Yes, there are lots of tools of this sort. However this one pulls lots of data from PCars. Along with basic data like fuel usage and engine temps/RPM/ etc, this apps pulls and displays tire ware percentages and temps (inner, middle, and outer). The information is displayed visually and is a great aid during a race. All screens are completely customizable in that you can arrange and delete data fields to meet your needs.

The app also works with Assetto Corsa. Works great. Check it out.

Awong124
28-05-2015, 19:43
Go online and Google Dash Meter Pro. It is an excellent app that works with your Smart Phone or Tablet. Yes, there are lots of tools of this sort. However this one pulls lots of data from PCars. Along with basic data like fuel usage and engine temps/RPM/ etc, this apps pulls and displays tire ware percentages and temps (inner, middle, and outer). The information is displayed visually and is a great aid during a race. All screens are completely customizable in that you can arrange and delete data fields to meet your needs.

The app also works with Assetto Corsa. Works great. Check it out.

Only works with PC though.

Gpruitt54
28-05-2015, 20:24
Only works with PC though.

No, Dash Meter Pro works with both PCars and AC. Some features like tire wear percentages and tire temps only work with PCars. But, the primary features work with both sims. I have tried some of the free apps. But I bought this one (4 dollars and change) because it functions very well with both sims, and it is customizable to boot.

Awong124
28-05-2015, 21:04
No, Dash Meter Pro works with both PCars and AC. Some features like tire wear percentages and tire temps only work with PCars. But, the primary features work with both sims. I have tried some of the free apps. But I bought this one (4 dollars and change) because it functions very well with both sims, and it is customizable to boot.

PC as in computer and not console.

Doug914
28-05-2015, 21:40
its no problem to drive 1 hour with soft tires in GT3. But then I lose time.
But maybe if u drive like Fernando Alonso u would notice it much ealier in lap time.

This will be reduced to about a full fuel load plus a few laps once you get my updates in a future patch. Not all tracks will be the same, but this is realistic. Plus they will be more susceptible to abusing and sliding the car to the wear amounts. Slick race cars are the focus first, then treaded tired cars later if time and workload permits.

dyr_gl
29-05-2015, 00:12
How do they know? Testing.

You want people to do 3 race distances of testing before doing a race? Jesus, the extent to which SOME WMD members will go to deny there's something wrong with the game is utterly ridiculous.

BTW, F1 tests in 2-3 tracks, they arrive to any track and know before FP1 what each tyre will last roughly. The whole "like real World" facade drops real fast when you think we're supposed to be given strategies after our FP running by these smart people in our box.

No sir, we don't have no rough life stimations "to be real", we don't have them because you had no time or know-how to give them to us.

Mahjik
29-05-2015, 00:55
You want people to do 3 race distances of testing before doing a race? Jesus, the extent to which SOME WMD members will go to deny there's something wrong with the game is utterly ridiculous.

You didn't read my following posts. There are ways to do this without running multiple 50-90 minute sessions. There is nothing wrong in this situation.

danpinho
29-05-2015, 01:13
You didn't read my following posts. There are ways to do this without running multiple 50-90 minute sessions. There is nothing wrong in this situation.

I've got your point, do 3 or 5 laps with tyre wear at 7x and after is just pure math. No big deal for me. Thanks, it will be useful. I'll run some tests