PDA

View Full Version : A quick oversteer/ understeer question...

Spirit X
20-05-2015, 11:44
I'm having trouble understanding something here. I've driven a number of cars that understeer if they're driven carefully enough to not lose traction but then if you squeeze the throttle a tiny bit more, the back breaks loose and they oversteer crazily (RUF CTR3 for example). So should I be trying to adjust the setup for these cars towards oversteer or understeer? Typically, I'm talking about corner exits by the way.

danowat
20-05-2015, 11:47
Firstly, do some reading on weight transfer and how it affects handling, this will give you some insight on how under and oversteer can happen, and how you can tune it out.

There are also different types of both under and oversteer, power on, lift off, under braking etc etc, which of those is it.

Pablo2008jedi
20-05-2015, 11:47
What I think you're talking about is "car balance" and it really is a personal thing on how you drive. It can affect the overall lap time too.

I prefer my cars to be more understeer than oversteer, which means I'm slower in to a corner but have better traction in the exit.

Spirit X
20-05-2015, 11:58
I'm talking about corner exits, i.e. under acceleration. I generally go for the slow in fast out approach, powering through the apex and out the other side. I've done a lot of reading about the weight transfers and stuff but I want to know where to start if my car is understeering when it has traction and oversteering when a bit more throttle is applied. Like most drivers, I prefer a tiny touch of oversteer to help set it into the corners nicely.

danowat
20-05-2015, 12:04
Rule of thumb, stiffen front suspension to increase understeer, stiffen rear to increase oversteer, soften does the opposite.

That said, don't get caught up into trying to tune out power oversteer when throttle finesse is the reason.

Spirit X
20-05-2015, 12:06
Ok, so you're saying tune the car as it behaves when it has good traction....and play with finesse to keep it that driving that way. Makes sense I guess, thanks. It's confusing for me though because if you're tuning the car to give a bit of oversteer, aren't you intentionally getting it to lose traction?

danowat
20-05-2015, 12:22
Oversteer into corner transition can be helpful in getting the car to point at the apex, the BMW procar is a good example.

Most of the time though, you don't want either, it's just wasted time and power oversteer is never helpful, but some cars are just inherently the way they are, and you just have to learn to drive round it's quirks.