PDA

View Full Version : Some wheel use questions from a non-driver...

Spirit X
20-05-2015, 11:54
I've just taken the plunge and ordered myself a nice wheel, pedals with clutch an H-shifter (all Thrustmaster). However, I don't drive a car and a few questions have occured to me regarding how to play with my new setup:

1) For cars that have the sequential gear boxes, will my clutch and shifter automatically deactivate so I can use the paddles on the wheel for gear changes or will I have to set this up manually each session?

2) I'm assuming that for a car with a cluth, it's right foot for accelerate and brake and left for clutch (i.e. no left foot braking because you need to change down gears?)?

3) Is it usual for drivers to use the left foot on the brake in a car with no clutch?

Any other general advice would be most welcome. Thanks for any help.

Shnoo
20-05-2015, 12:08
I've just taken the plunge and ordered myself a nice wheel, pedals with clutch an H-shifter (all Thrustmaster). However, I don't drive a car and a few questions have occured to me regarding how to play with my new setup:

1) For cars that have the sequential gear boxes, will my clutch and shifter automatically deactivate so I can use the paddles on the wheel for gear changes or will I have to set this up manually each session?

2) I'm assuming that for a car with a cluth, it's right foot for accelerate and brake and left for clutch (i.e. no left foot braking because you need to change down gears?)?

3) Is it usual for drivers to use the left foot on the brake in a car with no clutch?

Any other general advice would be most welcome. Thanks for any help.

1)Not all cars need the clutch to change gears like the GT3 cars (you don't even have to lift the throtle while upshifting) Also you can still use your pedals if you have connected a h shifter still works fine so no permanent option changing

2)If you don't have to shift you can break with your left food. As an example there are a few cars wich need to be trailbraked to be stable while under heavy braking. That means you have to stay a little bit on the throtle while braking.

3)In driving schools in germany you learn to only brake with your right foot. So i think its the usual case but when i'm driving the gt3s where you only need the clutch to start i always brake with my left foot it feels better and makes rev matching a lot easier. But it needs a bit of time to get used to it.

Normaly i switch my braking foot a lot when driving a car wich needs the clutch. For hard braking and downshifting its the right. But for everything else its the left foot.

Here is a vid where you can see this very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnhFAy-hbow

BimodalRocket
20-05-2015, 13:11
In the options you can select wether the clutch is automatic or not and also wether shifting is manual as well. You can choose.

Spirit X
20-05-2015, 16:15
Thanks guys.

Dazzler46
21-05-2015, 16:27
When you pass your driving test never brake with your left foot on the road you will end up crashing