PDA

View Full Version : Flat-spotting tires

Apoc112
20-05-2015, 13:55
For as good as the tire modeling seems to be, even at the extremes, I would love to see the ability to flat-spot them.

Live For Speed did this so well several years ago, and I still haven't seen it replicated anywhere since, but it had such a huge impact on multiplayer racing. With the risk of flat-spotting, people don't brake wildly late and trail braking becomes so much more important for going faster... you can't just recover from a spin and carry on without pitting. it just raises the stakes all around and really separates the racers from the hotlappers.

MULTIVITZ
21-05-2015, 23:55
You have to be going pretty fast to flat spot a slick and have massive brakes and a massive leg to press the pedal hard. On this game so far I have run out of brake force to lock the front wheels after tuning, I think its a minor problem but realistic. You'll find the tyre temps rotate as you change speed indicating a wheel that has a hot spot. This is a silent little gremlin waiting to catch people out, much better that the controller vibrating constantly like drifting on Forza. Most flat spots blend in to the road surface its on high speed lockups that can vibrate so violently afterward making the car very uncomfortable and losing some cornering force. Im quite sure the game represents, but doesn't want it to wear out peoples expensive wheels!

Photonmonkey
27-05-2015, 22:03
I am sure I read a description of the SETA tire model that mentioned flat spots so I thought this was included already if not visual?

TrevorAustin
27-05-2015, 22:37
I have done it a couple of timrs in fornula a, accudentally, sliding with brakes lockeD. And yiu can definitely feel it through the wheel as well as tyre damage going from 3-4 to, one time, 93!

Apoc112
28-05-2015, 13:46
Thanks for the replies, all... I'll definitely look into it some more. Just didn't feel, from my first couple weeks with the game, like locking up the brakes really had as much of an impact as it does in real life. The biggest problem I notice with real life flat-spotting is that once you've FS'd a tire, it's much more likely to settle on that spot again and lock up easier. I have definitely done my share, in the game, of jumping on the clampers and skidding into turns (i'm on the X1 w/ controller, so applying too much brake is a an easy mistake), but once I settle it down and get through the turn, it's back to business as usual.

Bealdor
28-05-2015, 13:58
Latest info about tire flatspots/blow ups:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?27185-GOOD-INFO-INSIDE!-tyre-wear&p=949782&viewfull=1#post949782

could_do_better
28-05-2015, 14:02
Formula A can be flat spotted quite easily, though your wheel won't thank you for it. Other tires are more resilient to it, but if you do enough high speed skids in the GT3's I've been able to deliberately flat spot them in the past, probably wouldn't happen in normal driving though as you have to do it 10+ times.

MULTIVITZ
28-05-2015, 14:05
You don't feel it much, but it is there, as reduced grip , etc. Shame about the tuning grind thread, got closed I don't know why?

Roger Prynne
28-05-2015, 14:19
Shame about the tuning grind thread, got closed I don't know why?
Because you kept spamming it!

MULTIVITZ
28-05-2015, 14:37
The tuning atari grind thread got closed way after my spam spree. I've put a suggetion on page 39 in the suggestion thread seeing as you're brought it up. Thanks. I really don't see how nearly 30 buttons between screens hasn't been put forward before as a thing that isn't good. I bet you haven't even read the thread I'm talking about. Good luck.

Mahjik
28-05-2015, 14:47
Gents, please keep this discussion "on topic".

nomen nescio
28-05-2015, 16:21
For as good as the tire modeling seems to be, even at the extremes, I would love to see the ability to flat-spot them.

Live For Speed did this so well several years ago, and I still haven't seen it replicated anywhere since, but it had such a huge impact on multiplayer racing. With the risk of flat-spotting, people don't brake wildly late and trail braking becomes so much more important for going faster... you can't just recover from a spin and carry on without pitting. it just raises the stakes all around and really separates the racers from the hotlappers.I believe netkar pro had flatspotting as well.

Skyfox
01-06-2015, 11:46
I totally agree, flat spots are part of racing. I have read all kinds of opinions on this, from not implementing flat spots because it can ruin your expensive wheel to I just don't think it should be implemented. How about a compromise here, just put a setting option (or slider) for realistic tire behavior (wear and flats pots etc) or indestructible! Of course this should also be implemented for online racing so it would be visible in the race parameters when you join.

CRLCactus
02-06-2015, 01:07
first let me tell you, I like this game,
Now that this game is out for the PC you will get a lot of following as long the perimeters are in line with people who like good quality racing games. the 2 biggest complaints I have heard from fellow computer sim racers are. Not being able to pit and one of the biggest ones is the not flattening of the tires. what this does is leave the door open for having a online race and some of the racers slam on their brakes just before the corner with no effect on the car. In other sim games this would affect the speed and handling of the car making them either have to pit or drive realistically like the game should be. The idea of a slider like Skyfox said or a bottom to turn on or off would be great. The better this game is the more you will sell by word of mouth
Hopefully you add this feature,
CRL Cactus

mcarver2000
02-06-2015, 11:25
It's extremely easy to flat-spot one's tires in Assetto Corsa, and one's FFB wheel will let one know.

Live For Speed did this so well several years ago, and I still haven't seen it replicated anywhere since, ...

redglyph
27-09-2015, 15:29
Tried with Formula A and GT3 cars, with all driving aids off, and
- it's very hard to get the the wheels to lock,
- I've managed to do it on a significant distance a few times by breaking very hard at high speed, yet there was no flat spot.

I suppose this was removed at some point?

It's a bit disappointing, because I've read a few times there was an elaborate tyre patch physics model, but it seems the tyres have an unrealistic grip, much too high, and apparently no damage. It would be great to get some settings to select between that and a more unforgiving simulation mode, I can understand not everyone wants to feel their steering wheel throbing after an unfortunate tyre FS.

I didn't check how the tyres were behaving when they were wearing out. Do they finally shred if not replaced soon enough?

Silraed
30-09-2015, 05:26
I had a Formula B race last week where I had a huge lockup as a result of taking evasive measures to avoid some AI that were roughing each other up, it resulted in a flat spot that gave me a fairly significant vibration and change in my FFB and kept biting me into heavy braking until I pitted and changed tires.

It is there, but I think it is dialled back a bit to be less punishing.

Yorkie065
30-09-2015, 09:05
It is there, but I think it is dialled back a bit to be less punishing.

^This. It is in, definitely! Been doing league races in the GT3 with all assists off our races are between 28-35 laps depending on the length of the circuit. At around lap 24/25 in a 30 lap race using a soft tyre, I will start to get vibrations through the wheel. It gets worse towards the end too, with more vibrations and it becomes very difficult to brake and turn effectively. It's all dependant on how much you are locking the brakes and the tyre wear.

If you really want to test it, jump into something like the aston GT3, abs off, bathurst. Go down the conrod straight, through the chase (fast right), and into the braking zone of the left right, slam on the brakes and turn at the same time to force the brakes to lock. Also might be worth putting brake bias all the way to the front too. Repeat until you feel vibrations. It's not as easy to get flat spots like AC and other games, there's also no visual cue on the tyre with open wheels to show that there is a flat spot but they are there.

Roger Prynne
30-09-2015, 11:16
I think if the Flat Spot was modeled on real life then our wheels would break in no time.
I know what a real flat spot feels like, and it shakes the teeth out of your mouth and your vision gets really blurred.

Franco Ferrari
30-09-2015, 12:06
Flat-spotting IS present in the game.
I distinctly remember a video from Doug (or Casey?) where he showed some testings of the feature with the wear factor greatly exaggerated, maybe 10x, and in just one wheel-locked braking the tires were ruined and the car visibly "jumped" on the wheel after that, as if they were square.