PDA

View Full Version : REAR VIEW MIRROR NO HEADLIGHTS

mx5fornow
20-05-2015, 16:23
I love the game just want to make sure that this has been brought up. In the look back mode headlights are visible but in the rear view mirror they are not. Makes seeing your opponent at night quite difficult.

leftturney
20-05-2015, 17:33
I assume they did this to squeeze out some extra performance in the game. You'll also notice that after a certain distance opponent cars in the rear view are not rendered but you can use look behind and see them. This is noticeable on long straights like Barcelona. I don't think these are bugs. I do think that things like this are where you can really see the devs trying to get all of the performance out of the consoles that they can.

OpticalHercules
20-05-2015, 19:24
Wouldn't the graphics demand be lower putting other cars' headlamps in your rear-view mirror than having the light reflections and shadows from their headlamps on the back of your car (in trail camera mode)?

I thought that was strange as well, racing at night in third-person trail cam, no headlamps shown in my rear view mirror, but I can see the light from their headlamps on the terrain around me as well as on the back of my car with shadows included.

leftturney
20-05-2015, 20:04
The mirror is simply mirrored camera view out of the rear facing of the car. So anytime you have the rear view mirror pulled up a second camera angle has to be rendered along with all the track details, lighting effects, etc. This is because everything on the track isn't rendered all at the same time, just what you see out of the main camera is. Even though you might know there is a straight into a right-hander on the other side of the carousel at the Nurburgring, the game isn't rendering any of that until you can see it through the main camera. The console is doing more work by having a rear view showing along with the main camera angle because it has to render a second view of what is behind you. If the devs had a performance issue when the rear view mirror was shown I'm sure that they would rather degrade the little details like the mirrors before they degraded quality of views that everyone is going to see all the time. That's the technical details of it, but it is all speculation of course.

OpticalHercules
20-05-2015, 20:11
The mirror is simply mirrored camera view out of the rear facing of the car. So anytime you have the rear view mirror pulled up a second camera angle has to be rendered along with all the track details, lighting effects, etc. This is because everything on the track isn't rendered all at the same time, just what you see out of the main camera is. Even though you might know there is a straight into a right-hander on the other side of the carousel at the Nurburgring, the game isn't rendering any of that until you can see it through the main camera. The console is doing more work by having a rear view showing along with the main camera angle because it has to render a second view of what is behind you. If the devs had a performance issue when the rear view mirror was shown I'm sure that they would rather degrade the little details like the mirrors before they degraded quality of views that everyone is going to see all the time. That's the technical details of it, but it is all speculation of course.

Makes sense. I am no programmer. I just thought it was strange to see so much light detail from external sources.

On a slightly related topic: Hop in the Audi R18 and slam it into a wall at night so you lose the rear half body panels, then drive with no lights on. What the hell is the red flashy glow that lights up the rear mechanical stuffs? It's a cool effect but it's not related to exhaust flames or glow from brakes; I notice it most on the long straights of 24hour le mans.