PDA

View Full Version : Pad vs wheel

luca88
20-05-2015, 17:55
hello to all forums! First of all congratulations to the creators of this new chapter of real simulation on console! I just wanted to share my experience: I bought the game for the X1 just come out and I have to say with the joypad it was hard to have a good gameplay. After some days I decided to buy a steering wheel without spending too much, exactly the Thrustmaster 458 Spider Italy, and from there everything changed! advice to those who love simulators on consoles and has always had doubts about purchasing a steering wheel, ok: it's the right time. This game was created to be enjoyed with the steering wheel, there is little to do. I understand to be insistent and I'm sorry if it offends someone, but it's worth it to invest money because the feeling with the track is unique.

Cheers from Florence and sorry for Google translate (:

Patrik Marek
20-05-2015, 18:21
there are some issues with controller on Xb1, perhaps that could have been the case for you as well.

of course on wheel the game feels better, but it's not making it totally different experience then on gamepad. I have wheel plugged to PC and while it's way more fun, i'm faster on gamepad then I'm on wheel

glad you enjoy it on wheel

nissan4ever
20-05-2015, 18:44
there are some issues with controller on Xb1, perhaps that could have been the case for you as well.

of course on wheel the game feels better, but it's not making it totally different experience then on gamepad. I have wheel plugged to PC and while it's way more fun, i'm faster on gamepad then I'm on wheel

glad you enjoy it on wheel

I'm curious, what wheel do you own?

luca88
20-05-2015, 19:24
Sure are The same game With controller but I shared my opinion for those who are undecided and has never bought a steering wheel!

LADY GEMMA JANE
20-05-2015, 19:32
I dont have a wheel, controller is fine for me

OpticalHercules
20-05-2015, 20:06
I dont have a wheel, controller is fine for me

Until you try a wheel... :)

o Mike V o
20-05-2015, 20:10
You really can't beat the experience of the wheel tbh. It's too bad we can't use G27s on Xbox, Logitech doesn't want to make some extra coin I guess...

Ixoye56
20-05-2015, 20:54
This endless debate between controller and steering wheel starts to become very tiresome :grumpy:

luca88
20-05-2015, 21:18
I think the same, i don't know why logitech don't update g25 or g27 for xb1 or ps4.. I hope is working for One new wheel:cool:

DECATUR PLAYA
20-05-2015, 21:24
It doesn't matter which steering input you use it's more about getting the car to do what you want when you want. I'm on a controller and it's fine for me. I'm more concerned about getting a surround sound headset so i can hear my motor better than I am a wheel.

luca88
20-05-2015, 21:31
This endless debate between controller and steering wheel starts to become very tiresome :grumpy:

Why?:) in Italy we say: "il mondo è bello perché è vario" in english:"the world is beautiful because it is varied"

Psychomatrix
20-05-2015, 21:37
Specially when den Controllers don't work lol

RobIzYoDaddy
20-05-2015, 22:17
Wheels/PAds it is all to the liking of the person using them, but peddles, now that is where the real "CONTROL" is needed. you need to be able to modulate brake pressure and throttle control. Controllers just do not have the range or accuracy that a quality set of peddles offer.

Ixoye56
20-05-2015, 22:43
It is very comfortable to lie on the couch and drive with the controller :cool:

Silversn95
21-05-2015, 14:59
This game has pushed me over the edge and a wheel has been ordered. I've played dozens of racing games but this is the one that finally made me invest in a wheel. Not just because of the controller issues, but because the car dynamics seem more realistic, graphics overall are amazing, good (but not great) selection of tracks... etc. Can't wait for the wheel to arrive (Thrustmaster TX)!

PS, don't get me wrong, there are plenty of issues with the game but it so far, the best simulator for the console.

totlxtc
21-05-2015, 15:23

YUP!

Simple fact of the matter when it come to speed...you either have the talent or you don't. There will be people out there setting top ten times with a controller with dodgy deadzones and half dog eaten pads so you don't need to spend mega £££ to be quick.

Overall - Wheel = More immersion, Pad = More convenience.

Just wish the wheel elitists would stop sticking themselves on a pedestal that they are better than everyone else because at the end of the day the only time you will get truly sim without driving a real car is with a full wrap screen, head tracking, hydraulic rig and some kind of cockpit. I'll stick with my big bean bag, wireless controller and nice cold brew. No matter how you play, it is having fun that counts.

RedDevil71
21-05-2015, 16:47
I've just purchased a wheel and pedals, Thrustmaster 458 Italia.
At the moment i was quicker with the pad but the game is so much more enjoyable with the wheel, it feels right.
That said i think with practice i will be quicker with the wheel, its just a matter of getting used to it.
The game is awesome no matter what you play it with.
Well done Slightly Mad.

d4ninho
25-05-2015, 10:53
i'm slow no matter what i use,lol, perhaps i should just play farm simulator,lol

BG Hainesy
25-05-2015, 11:55
Yep, this is the game that's finally convinced me to invest in a wheel (should turn up tomorrow). Added bonus is I can also use it on my p.c. with Assetto Corsa etc if the patch doesn't sort out the Xbox One problems. Although I'd rather game on my Xbox as everyone has the same hardware, thus a level playing field.

What little I've played of pCars up to now (little because of controller, frame rate issues and I have patience to just wait for the update) has really impressed me in regards to the physics. Plus I'm convinced that SMS will sort out these problems, they seem to have passion for the genre of motor racing and actually communicating with their customers, something that Turn 10 seems to lose a bit more with each iteration of Forza.

Dan77 DESTROYER
25-05-2015, 12:26
Been using a controller from the off and found it's challenging at times but very engaging and do-able(I've got all my assists turned off), I haven't found it a handicap at all but can't shy away from the fact that a wheel is the way to go with this to get the full immersion we all crave, whilst sitting in the pits at monza short the other night I should of been concentrating on my set up and getting a qualifying lap in but instead was ordering my TX wheel from GameStop UK, should arrive this week, very much looking forward to its arrival :)

RetroNooB
25-05-2015, 12:29
Been using a controller from the off and found it's challenging at times but very engaging and do-able(I've got all my assists turned off), I haven't found it a handicap at all but can't shy away from the fact that a wheel is the way to go with this to get the full immersion we all crave, whilst sitting in the pits at monza short the other night I should of been concentrating on my set up and getting a qualifying lap in but instead was ordering my TX wheel from GameStop UK, should arrive this week, very much looking forward to its arrival :)

Hmm wonder if i can gain a 10sec+ lead at bugatti again with me on pad n you on wheel? :culpability: lol

Dan77 DESTROYER
25-05-2015, 12:35
Hmm wonder if i can gain a 10sec+ lead at bugatti again with me on pad n you on wheel? :culpability: lol

No chance, that's not happening again, I can't believe how much you were pulling away from us on that track last night, must of had your weetabix again.

RetroNooB
25-05-2015, 12:41
No chance, that's not happening again, I can't believe how much you were pulling away from us on that track last night, must of had your weetabix again.

It was weetabix cut with shredded wheat, no time for milk, jus crushed it up n snorted it ;)

Flanimal
25-05-2015, 20:20
I am solo tempted by a wheel, I've got a 360 MS wheel gathering dust on a Wheel Stand Pro, that I used to use on Forza, but no backwards compatibility, cheers MS. So I know how good a wheel can be for immersion and controllability.
It's the price I'm struggling with, ok, both are affordable, (just, in the case of the TX), but it's justifying the £200+ for the TX and its FFB, or the Spider that apparently works just as well, for a quarter of the cost, but obviously no FFB.
I've got the stand, all I need is a wheel, but would I forgive myself for no FFB?
It's not as though I'm not competitive with the controller, even with its issues.
Decisions, decisions...

RetroNooB
25-05-2015, 21:17
I am solo tempted by a wheel, I've got a 360 MS wheel gathering dust on a Wheel Stand Pro, that I used to use on Forza, but no backwards compatibility, cheers MS. So I know how good a wheel can be for immersion and controllability.
It's the price I'm struggling with, ok, both are affordable, (just, in the case of the TX), but it's justifying the £200+ for the TX and its FFB, or the Spider that apparently works just as well, for a quarter of the cost, but obviously no FFB.
I've got the stand, all I need is a wheel, but would I forgive myself for no FFB?
It's not as though I'm not competitive with the controller, even with its issues.
Decisions, decisions...

Tx! ;)

Dan77 DESTROYER
25-05-2015, 22:17
TX all the way, it's definatly manageable with a controller but there's no contest in my opinion between the two, wheel will win hands down in the right hands ;)

INoTroN
25-05-2015, 22:27
I buy the trustmaster 458 spider the model with no force feedback and its awesome its way better than the controler
I dont want to give 400$ in a wheel with force feedback no thanks.

luca88
25-05-2015, 22:33
TX all the way, it's definatly manageable with a controller but there's no contest in my opinion between the two, wheel will win hands down in the right hands ;)

For sure are better tx but i haven't enought money for tx!! Next step are FFB :)

RetroNooB
27-05-2015, 18:22

That would be my hands then mwuahahahaaaaaaaaa :p

luca88
27-05-2015, 18:26
Wow!:love-struck:

MULTIVITZ
27-05-2015, 18:43
I was lookind forward to the motion sensing mode with the controller. Anyone got any news on that?
I was thinking about tuning with the pad, then fine tuning with a wheel, if I could afford one, but wheel prices are very high because of the development and license costs. Time will tell.

RetroNooB
27-05-2015, 18:48
For sure are better tx but i haven't enought money for tx!! Next step are FFB :)

Id save for the tx, its definately worth the extra wait time ;)