PDA

View Full Version : Thrustmaster TX Wheel duplicate button update

Bryer
20-05-2015, 19:06
Hi all,

I've been in communication with Thrustmaster regarding duplicate buttons. My response from them is quite shocking really, and hope SMS can liaise with MS and Thrustmaster to resolve this issue.

Regarding your TX Racing Wheel Ferrari 458 Italia Edition.
Thank you for providing us with more details and we are very sorry for the late reply to your query.
Regarding Project Cars for the Xbox One, the LT and the RT buttons are in fact the gas and brake pedals.
The "Xbox One Steering Wheel Protocol" can support :
- only 9 buttons (LB / RB / Y / X / A / B / VIEW / MENU / GUIDE) + 1 D-Pad.
- 4 axes = Steering / Throttle (RT) / Brake (LT) / Clutch
- Shifter (H-7+1)
This is the reason why some of the buttons on the TX Racing Wheel are "doubled".
This has nothing to do with us, it's the Xbox One protocol that limits the number of unique buttons.
In case you have other questions, please feel free to reply to this email.

Old skool hemi
20-05-2015, 19:40
Hi Thanks for posting this info ive got an tx wheel and wanted to map the buttons but cant map all because of doubling buttons.
Thrustmaster are shifting the blame as it looks like pcars have the options to do so but console versions are lacking compared to pc so who knows....
Thanks for the info tho

Bryer
20-05-2015, 19:45
Hi Thanks for posting this info ive got an tx wheel and wanted to map the buttons but cant map all because of doubling buttons.
Thrustmaster are shifting the blame as it looks like pcars have the options to do so but console versions are lacking compared to pc so who knows....
Thanks for the info tho

It's the Microsoft Wheel protocal that is the problem by the looks of things.

Old skool hemi
20-05-2015, 19:56
It would be great if something could be done in the future.... :)

Benja190782
20-05-2015, 20:35
It's the Microsoft Wheel protocal that is the problem by the looks of things.

The problem is not only about the "Microsoft Wheel protocal" - because it's the same thing on the PS4 version of Project CARS and as I've said before - could we atleast just navigate the menus with the controller while still be able to race with the TX wheel - it would mean sooo much to me as I could use my aftermarket rim on the TX base then!

Please, SMS.. Let atleast this be an option in this amazing sim! :D

Freestyler0908
21-05-2015, 11:40
I cant belive that. Whats with the rsb and lsb buttons? MadCatz Wheels have these. Sorry Thrustmaster, this should not only be a MS problem.

skijumptoes
21-05-2015, 14:39
A bit crude, but you can control the menu with a usb keyboard, or get one of those infrared pocket keyboard thingies with the usb dongle will work, i tried mine that i use with a media center and it allowed me to cruise the menus (cursors) and pause the game (p). I just tried it to see if i could map seat adjustments and pit requests etc. But no other keys work sadly.

TrevorAustin
21-05-2015, 14:52
The problem is the same on PC, so claiming XBOX protocols makes no sense.

Benja190782
21-05-2015, 15:14
The problem is the same on PC, so claiming XBOX protocols makes no sense.

What? Do you mean like it's not possible to assign buttons from a controller or keyboard on the PC either???

Benja190782
21-05-2015, 15:17
A bit crude, but you can control the menu with a usb keyboard, or get one of those infrared pocket keyboard thingies with the usb dongle will work, i tried mine that i use with a media center and it allowed me to cruise the menus (cursors) and pause the game (p). I just tried it to see if i could map seat adjustments and pit requests etc. But no other keys work sadly.

So what you are saying is - we can fully navigate the menus with a keyboard?
Do you plug the wheel or the keyboard in first??
Does it matter what USB keyboard I use? Could it be a Logitec??

TrevorAustin
21-05-2015, 15:28
No, just some of the buttons on my tx are duplicated. The assignment screen sees a different button, but thwn in the game you find its assigned the pit stop button to do the same as the pause button. So some buttons can't be used.

All looks fine in the thrustmaster cp

skijumptoes
21-05-2015, 16:39
So what you are saying is - we can fully navigate the menus with a keyboard?
Do you plug the wheel or the keyboard in first??
Does it matter what USB keyboard I use? Could it be a Logitec??
Well, i done it with my normally controller, just plugged a usb keyboard in, didn't really think about it to be honest. lol

Benja190782
21-05-2015, 16:57
Well, i done it with my normally controller, just plugged a usb keyboard in, didn't really think about it to be honest. lol

Oh okay, so you didn't use a wheel, right? You had only the keyboard and a normal Xbox One controller active in-game?

The problem is you can't use a TX wheel AND a keyboard/controller to navigate the menus, you know?

Bryer
21-05-2015, 17:28

Microsoft do not allow any keyboard interactions in game. You can control the dashboard, but as soon as you are in game they keyboard is a paperweight.

skijumptoes
21-05-2015, 17:43
Will try with my thrustmaster wheel connected and post back, can't see why it wouldn't work if it worked with a controller, it should work with a wheel as it's just operating as standard HID, no pairing to a profile like you get with a wheel or controller.

Funny thing is that if you pause the game with 'p' you get a clean pause screen. :)

skijumptoes
21-05-2015, 17:46
Microsoft do not allow any keyboard interactions in game. You can control the dashboard, but as soon as you are in game they keyboard is a paperweight.

Check the facts mate, there's no such ruling whatsoever - You can use standard usb keyboard in both warframe and neverwinter for chatting, just to name two off the bat. And as i've posted previously, navigate menus in Project cars with one.

Bryer
21-05-2015, 17:50
Check the facts mate, there's no such ruling whatsoever - You can use standard usb keyboard in both warframe and neverwinter for chatting, just to name two off the bat. And as i've posted previously, navigate menus in Project cars with one.
Excuse me..... The facts state that a USB keyboard cannot be used to manipulate a control with a game. So, binding a keyboard key to a game is not possible. Chat is fine, we were not disputing that, however attempting to you the keyboard to do in game commands is prohibited. Go ask @xboxsupport or check www.xbox.com/support.

Benja190782
21-05-2015, 17:59
Excuse me..... The facts state that a USB keyboard cannot be used to manipulate a control with a game. So, binding a keyboard key to a game is not possible. Chat is fine, we were not disputing that, however attempting to you the keyboard to do in game commands is prohibited. Go ask @xboxsupport or check www.xbox.com/support.

So what about WhiteNinja636..??? He also did it... Look here:

WhiteNinja636
"I tried to assign buttons to my keyboard. My Xbox would detect it and I could use it in the dashboard, it would work in game, I could use the enter button to select menus etc but it wouldn't let me register any controls to it."

skijumptoes
21-05-2015, 18:00
I'm not arguing with you mate, i'm trying to help this guy out - facts are it works for browsing the menu. The point i made is that it's not binding to a player, so theory is it should work no matter if controller or wheel is plugged in, if you re-read the thread you can see yourself.

Anyway, Benja - Just tried it with the steering wheel plugged in, had wheel and usb keyboard through a hub from the one connection and worked fine.

Enter selects menu items, escape or backspace goes back.

In game, P pauses it, Escape pauses it with the menu options, and backspace returns you back to the game.

..Don't tell Bryer, or he'll report us to microsoft!

Hope that helps.

Benja190782
21-05-2015, 18:14
I'm not arguing with you mate, i'm trying to help this guy out - facts are it works for browsing the menu. The point i made is that it's not binding to a player, so theory is it should work no matter if controller or wheel is plugged in, if you re-read the thread you can see yourself.

Anyway, Benja - Just tried it with the steering wheel plugged in, had wheel and usb keyboard through a hub from the one connection and worked fine.

Enter selects menu items, escape or backspace goes back.

In game, P pauses it, Escape pauses it with the menu options, and backspace returns you back to the game.

..Don't tell Bryer, or he'll report us to microsoft!

Hope that helps.

AWESOME news, mate! :triumphant:
But I'm not sure what you mean by "through a hub"..?? :confused:
Don't you just plug the TX wheel in the back of the XB1 and the keyboard in the USB on the left side of the Xbox?

skijumptoes
21-05-2015, 18:20
Oh, i just have a cheap 4 port hub connected to the left side to give me 4 ports at the front for charging etc. - never thought about plugging the wheel in at the back lol

So yeah, same difference - hub not important, but just shows that even with a hub involved it still works fine - so i mentioned it.

Bryer
21-05-2015, 18:21
You are all missing the point. I'm not saying the keyboard doesn't work to control menu functions. I have tried myself and contacted Microsoft about it.

They stated we will not be allowed to assign keys to functions as they prohibit it's use to control input.

Benja we have discussed this previously in numerous threads.

Benja190782
21-05-2015, 18:22
Oh, i just have a cheap 4 port hub connected to the left side to give me 4 ports at the front for charging etc. - never thought about plugging the wheel in at the back lol

So yeah, same difference - hub not important, but just shows that even with a hub involved it still works fine - so i mentioned it.

Okay cool, I need a USB-keyboard fast! Thanks, mate! :cool:

skijumptoes
21-05-2015, 18:25
You are all missing the point. I'm not saying the keyboard doesn't work to control menu functions. I have tried myself and contacted Microsoft about it.

Mate, not wanting to argue on such a silly subject, but Benja was simply asking for a way to navigate the menus so he can use an aftermarket wheel on his tx base, which i presume doesn't have standard d-pad support. And quite simply, use of a usb keyboard allows this.

You replied to me implying it was fact that only the xbox dashboard could be controlled, and once in a game it was a paperweight - this simply isn't the case and is misleading.

If anyone has missed a point, it is you my friend. Let it lie, or reply to someone who's wanting to use a keyboard for steering or something, then you have a valid point. But for what me and Benja are discussing this will help him a great deal i suspect.

Bryer
21-05-2015, 18:27
Mate, not wanting to argue on such a silly subject, but Benja was simply asking for a way to navigate the menus so he can use an aftermarket wheel on his tx base, and use of a usb keyboard allows this.

You replied to me implying it was fact that this wasn't the case.

If anyone has missed a point, it is you my friend. Let it lie, or reply to someone who's wanting to use a keyboard for steering or something, then you have a valid point.

In all fairness he's been told this is possible in several other threads.....

He is also constantly hijacking threads for his warranted keyboard support. This started off as a thread about Tx wheel buttons.

Benja190782
21-05-2015, 18:28

They stated we will not be allowed to assign keys to functions as they prohibit it's use to control input.

Benja we have discussed this previously in numerous threads.

I know we have discussed this many times before - but I never found a solution to use my DSD adapter with an aftermarket wheel on the TX base, because I couldn't navigate the menus...
Now the solution is here for me! ;)
That's all I wanted, mate!
We can't, and maybe never will, be able to assign buttons on another device. But atleast I can use all my aftermarket wheels know on the TX base - and still navigate the menus... Just like in Forza! :cool:

EDIT: No I've never been told that, mate...

skijumptoes
21-05-2015, 18:29
In all fairness he's been told this is possible in several other threads.....

Show me where someone has plugged a similar wheel to what he's owned and confirms it works then please?

Think you need to mother someone else, he's a big enough (and handsome) chap - you don't have a crush on him by any chance, eh? Say the word and i'll leave him be. ;)

Rudolph523
21-05-2015, 19:08
hey guys, i have a question. i have the game on xbox one and i use the tx wheel with the f1 rim now and no shifter. i cant use all buttons/ functions in the game, not even the pit request. because of the double buttons and the need to use certain functions can someone help nme or say if there will be a fix for it? because i am pretty pissed i need an handbrake but cant use that button for drs, pit request or something else, while i have loads of buttons unused. if there will be now fix it can mean i will wait along time, or maybe i even return the game, why all the funtions if i cant use all buttons and need to use a function i wont use,and cant use a function i do want to use!?

Benja190782
21-05-2015, 19:11
hey guys, i have a question. i have the game on xbox one and i use the tx wheel with the f1 rim now and no shifter. i cant use all buttons/ functions in the game, not even the pit request. because of the double buttons and the need to use certain functions can someone help nme or say if there will be a fix for it? because i am pretty pissed i need an handbrake but cant use that button for drs, pit request or something else, while i have loads of buttons unused. if there will be now fix it can mean i will wait along time, or maybe i even return the game, why all the funtions if i cant use all buttons and need to use a function i wont use!?

There is a workaround for that - look in the sticked threads...

skijumptoes
21-05-2015, 21:08
There is a workaround for that - look in the sticked threads...

Was it this:-

"After mapping the Buttons and before you try to leave the menu hit the "Options" button and switch to the last point (menu&help). You will find yourself in the main menu and all mappings are stored!"

SN1P3R SK33T
21-05-2015, 23:03
I have started an "idea" on the Xbox feedback site. Feel free to also post the link in other forums/threads that you see regarding the same issues. The more votes we get obviously the higher a priority it will be for MS.

I realise that it may be down to TM as well, but I'm 90% sure that it will also require a driver update in the console which MS is surely going to have to certify, if not write themselves. Plus it'll probably require some sort of update for Forza and the crew to either utilise the extra inputs, or double-up the inputs on their end. Alternatively I guess the wheel could add an extra mode or something that either you change manually or the xbox can "push" to the wheel.

Either way, more votes can't hurt. Hopefully with the release of F1 too, we can get this sorted within a couple of months.

Here's the link again:

http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251650-console-accessories/suggestions/7882929-allow-wheels-to-have-more-buttons

Peace!

skijumptoes
22-05-2015, 12:55
sms could sort something simply enough, you only need a modifier (shift) key, and being able to bind multiple key presses in the options menu - job done.

For example A could be mapped as the modifier, or whatever is close to your hand on the wheel - and then used in conjunction with lb/rb/start/back/x/y/dpad-L+R+U+D etc. That's already 10 additional commands you could use in game for pit requests, abs controls, car adjustments etc. At the sake of losing one as the new modifier command.

On it's own the modifier does nothing.

Benja190782
22-05-2015, 18:03
@skijumptoes: hey mate, I picked up a Logitec keyboard today and it actually works in-game... Kind of, that is - because I can only navigate in the Career, Solo, Network-section... I can't go to options for example because there is no LT/RT button.

Anyway, the biggest problem is when the game starts up - because I can't press the "start" button before the intro.

So no matter what, we need that controller to work with the wheel in-game.. :p

mkstatto
22-05-2015, 18:56
sms could sort something simply enough, you only need a modifier (shift) key, and being able to bind multiple key presses in the options menu - job done.

For example A could be mapped as the modifier, or whatever is close to your hand on the wheel - and then used in conjunction with lb/rb/start/back/x/y/dpad-L+R+U+D etc. That's already 10 additional commands you could use in game for pit requests, abs controls, car adjustments etc. At the sake of losing one as the new modifier command.

On it's own the modifier does nothing.

That is a brilliant idea man.

Bryer
22-05-2015, 19:01
@skijumptoes: hey mate, I picked up a Logitec keyboard today and it actually works in-game... Kind of, that is - because I can only navigate in the Career, Solo, Network-section... I can't go to options for example because there is no LT/RT button.

Anyway, the biggest problem is when the game starts up - because I can't press the "start" button before the intro.

So no matter what, we need that controller to work with the wheel in-game.. :p

I'm saying nothing :p

skijumptoes
26-05-2015, 09:32
Benja - damn! Bryer wins, he has to pay for your keyboard now as he didn't sufficiently protect you from this mis-advice! ;)

Seriously - Sorry mate, i didn't even consider the start button as i have on my wheel and probably just pressed it without thinking.

You can use pedals as LT/RT by the way, maybe put a request in to sms to have 'A' as an option to start the game?

Sp4mD4gger
26-05-2015, 10:25
Just seen this after a bit of browsing.
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/how-to-use-a-mouse-and-keyboard-for-xbox-one-games

SRS STIG
26-05-2015, 11:07
To add another option (may not be available to be used by everyone) but if you have a TH8A Shifter with your wheel you have the option to remap the individual gears and assign them to some of the Mandatory buttons on the wheel, ie you can remap the handbrake to Gear 4, this then free's up the handbrake button on the wheel to be used by another function.

This of course means you cant use the H shifter as a shifter but you can still use the paddles behind the wheel to change gear, it may not be ideal but is a possible way to have all the buttons you need easily accessible on the wheel. I now have look Left/Right mapped to the wheel along with DRS/KERS and on my shifter i have headlights as gear 7 and wipers as reverse plus some other brake bias stuff.

Hope it helps.

Benja190782
26-05-2015, 18:56
Benja - damn! Bryer wins, he has to pay for your keyboard now as he didn't sufficiently protect you from this mis-advice! ;)

Seriously - Sorry mate, i didn't even consider the start button as i have on my wheel and probably just pressed it without thinking.

You can use pedals as LT/RT by the way, maybe put a request in to sms to have 'A' as an option to start the game?

That was actually my first thought - if only A did the same thing as the Start button, like it does in some games... ;)

I need to try out the pedals as you say - if that could take me to options it's quite a big help.

stux
27-05-2015, 08:59
Always gets me anyway,

Why the hell do we have to press "menu" to start the game, rather than A. Sense it does not make

As you imply, there is a yellow "a" button on the TX base next to the dash button... similar to a start button...

MkvMike
04-06-2015, 18:39
To add another option (may not be available to be used by everyone) but if you have a TH8A Shifter with your wheel you have the option to remap the individual gears and assign them to some of the Mandatory buttons on the wheel, ie you can remap the handbrake to Gear 4, this then free's up the handbrake button on the wheel to be used by another function.

This of course means you cant use the H shifter as a shifter but you can still use the paddles behind the wheel to change gear, it may not be ideal but is a possible way to have all the buttons you need easily accessible on the wheel. I now have look Left/Right mapped to the wheel along with DRS/KERS and on my shifter i have headlights as gear 7 and wipers as reverse plus some other brake bias stuff.

Hope it helps.

If you were to set all the gears to the actual shifter can you then set up the padels to something else like Drs and Kers or does the game force you to have a up and down assigned for the gears? I haven't picked up the shifter for mine and at almost $200 Id prefer to use it as its intended and reassign the padels.

STEELJOCKEY
07-06-2015, 22:57
Someone from MS or TX or SMS has to look at the duplicate button issue.

I can't use the spare buttons for TCS, or ABS, as it undoes something else like lights or handbrake or wipes, which MUST be assigned or you can't save. Also extremely frustrating that I can't assign look left or right due same issue of preasigned buttons and I can't use spare buttons. Thing is I can look around on a controller but can't map buttons on the wheel?

Has Ian Bell an answer who is looking into this, will there be a fix?

Otherwise great game.

donpost
08-06-2015, 08:50
Someone from MS or TX or SMS has to look at the duplicate button issue.

I can't use the spare buttons for TCS, or ABS, as it undoes something else like lights or handbrake or wipes, which MUST be assigned or you can't save. Also extremely frustrating that I can't assign look left or right due same issue of preasigned buttons and I can't use spare buttons. Thing is I can look around on a controller but can't map buttons on the wheel?

Has Ian Bell an answer who is looking into this, will there be a fix?

Otherwise great game.

There is a way to exit the button mapping screen without having all of the "essential" items assigned. This way you have a couple of extra buttons spare to map to what you want.

What you have to do is assign the buttons how you want them, then instead of pressing B to back out (which the game won't let you do if not all of the mandatory things are assigned a button), just press start again and select "options" from the dropdown box. This will take you back to the main options screen which you can safely back out of using B. Viola!

Moon666
08-06-2015, 14:31
https://www.fanatec.com/forum/discussion/158/universal-hub-for-xbox-is-now-shipping-update

The Universal hub for Xbox One, which will turn your ClubSport Wheel Base V1 or V2 into an Xbox One compatible device, is now starting to ship and it will arrive in the hands of the lucky customers very soon.

Please post your experience with this device here and show us pictures and videos of your set up.

You are also welcome to post recommended settings for games.

Enjoy!:)

UPDATE
Please note that the maximum amount of buttons to be used on Xbox One is currently limited by the console but there are plans for a new extended protocol which allows more functionality.
We also have an button mapping issue on PC but this will be fixed in a future fw release.

It is the same as on the TX ;)
so once they have extended their protocol the TX should also profit from this.

sorry for bad english.

greetz Moon666

Dynomight Motorsports
08-06-2015, 15:03
Im pretty sure this is a issue created by Microsoft. I consider their Operating system User Un-friendly. They want to make sure NO-One can hack their system and add peripherals without the proper licenses, because that would be money out of their pocket. Pehaps MS has plans of putting out their own sub-par wheel as they did with the 360 and allowing a headset hook up along with all functioning buttons just as big "eff u" to the consumers. I've been a loyal customer of Xbox, and now I'm really starting to question that. I could have easily taken my Fanatec CSR wheel over to the PS4 and dealt with the Blurring PCars just as well. :D
However, I think if SMS could create some kind of Companion app, or at the very least not make Handbrake and KERs manditory then we could at least move forward with something. Maybe even perhaps a menu, such as F1 used in conjunction with the D pad to adjust Brake Bias and Roll Bars up and down. Select Tyre Compounds would be nice. Repair damage or not also useful!

STEELJOCKEY
08-06-2015, 20:02
There is a way to exit the button mapping screen without having all of the "essential" items assigned. This way you have a couple of extra buttons spare to map to what you want.

What you have to do is assign the buttons how you want them, then instead of pressing B to back out (which the game won't let you do if not all of the mandatory things are assigned a button), just press start again and select "options" from the dropdown box. This will take you back to the main options screen which you can safely back out of using B. Viola!

Thanks for that, managed to remap some functions, so now I can look left and right (Y & B), moved wipers to X and lights to A, motec on d-pad up and traction control on left view button. Works better.

Hopefully MS gets around to updating wheel protocols soon to let us use all buttons, then I can play with lots of other bits on the fly, namely front and rear roll bars and brake balance.

stux
09-06-2015, 06:34
Thanks for that, managed to remap some functions, so now I can look left and right (Y & B), moved wipers to X and lights to A, motec on d-pad up and traction control on left view button. Works better.

Hopefully MS gets around to updating wheel protocols soon to let us use all buttons, then I can play with lots of other bits on the fly, namely front and rear roll bars and brake balance.

Yep, that's what I did. Looking forward to being able to assign more buttons. There is an A button on the TX base station. Would like to make that the reset/ignition or something ;)

TheStigsCanadianCousin
14-07-2015, 14:32
The problem is not only about the "Microsoft Wheel protocal" - because it's the same thing on the PS4 version of Project CARS and as I've said before - could we atleast just navigate the menus with the controller while still be able to race with the TX wheel - it would mean sooo much to me as I could use my aftermarket rim on the TX base then!

Please, SMS.. Let atleast this be an option in this amazing sim! :D

I believe this is coming in the 2.0 update...whenever that'll happen. Will also allow users to use a gamepad in photo mode :).

Schnizz58
14-07-2015, 14:48
I believe this is coming in the 2.0 update...whenever that'll happen. Will also allow users to use a gamepad in photo mode :).
Where do you see that in the release notes?

TheStigsCanadianCousin
14-07-2015, 14:52
It's total B.S. that the OFFICIAL WHEEL for the Xbox One has all these extra buttons with no purpose. Absolutely stupid.

Schnizz58
14-07-2015, 14:55
It's total B.S. that the OFFICIAL WHEEL for the Xbox One has all these extra buttons with no purpose. Absolutely stupid.
Turn 10 will need all those buttons for FM6 and at that point MS has to make it happen.

TheStigsCanadianCousin
14-07-2015, 15:58
Turn 10 will need all those buttons for FM6 and at that point MS has to make it happen.

I certainly hope you're right :)

TheStigsCanadianCousin
14-07-2015, 15:59
Where do you see that in the release notes?

Under Controls
* Added support for the use of all active controllers for menu input. You can for example now use a steering wheel to race, and a gamepad to control the menus and photo mode.
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?34129-Project-CARS-PS4-Patch-2-0-Release-notes

XII AVENGER IIX
15-07-2015, 03:29
This is something that desperately needs to be addressed. ThurstMaster and SMS need to have Microsoft do this, as they are in direct connection with them. Microsoft has been a big let down on terms of Xbox One. Project Cars made me not sell my console, however I feel like Xbox has received less attention.