PDA

View Full Version : [NO REWIND] Flashback?

RiseOfLex88
20-05-2015, 20:11
Have the devs talked about or planned to introduce a flashback feature for offline?

I love long races but it's turning a game into infuriating work when a distraction causes a spin, or the AI f*** you up, or the game just glytches. Personally, I like a limited use flashback like in other racers.

If I'm sitting down for an hour on pcars in the evening I don't want to do hot laps at the back of the grid 10 laps into a race just cause of a small mistake. I love the rest of the pcars but flashback helps gamify a sim.

MysterG
20-05-2015, 20:15
It was talked about, but IIRC the majority of the community were against the idea.
It removes a lot of the challenge.

Moved to feature suggestions.

RiseOfLex88
20-05-2015, 20:17
So is it a closed case?

Certainly on games like Forza it was a horrid feature, too readily available. For me in Formula B it would dodge a lot of rage.

Sparky28
20-05-2015, 20:20
Personally I hate the idea!

Rewind isn't for sims as there's no rewind in a real race

RiseOfLex88
20-05-2015, 20:22

That doesn't seem that relevant, I'm not spending my weekend talking to engineers and practicing for hours prior to a race. A game's a game, sim or arcade.

Sparky28
20-05-2015, 20:26
The idea of a simulation is to simulate the real thing as closely as possible?! Game or no game?

BaueruTc
20-05-2015, 20:30
Personally i hate the idea of Flashbacks, Other games you would push and make a mistake then use a flashback. Since they are not in this game you don't take the same chances so if you do make a mistake then you pay for it which i much prefer!

FA RACING 01
20-05-2015, 20:32
The idea of a simulation is to simulate the real thing as closely as possible?! Game or no game?

That's exactly the reason I love the game so much. The closer to real life racing the better.

RiseOfLex88
20-05-2015, 20:44
Personally i hate the idea of Flashbacks, Other games you would push and make a mistake then use a flashback. Since they are not in this game you don't take the same chances so if you do make a mistake then you pay for it which i much prefer!

I agree, I'm mainly looking for flashbacks for areas outside of my control like glytches (totalled car by a stray cone on the track, wheel pops off from an unrealistic touch with the ai), AI oddities, outside distractions (someone starts talking to you, phone rings etc) and you spin.

A couple of flashbacks in the back keep the pressure in but if something out of your control happens it doesn't trash the game.

RiseOfLex88
20-05-2015, 20:51
Moved to feature suggestions.

Thanks

RiseOfLex88
20-05-2015, 20:53

This isn't sold as a straight sim, in their own words: "Project CARS is the most authentic, beautiful, intense, and technically-advanced racing game on the planet."

Mr Akina
20-05-2015, 20:57
This isn't sold as a straight sim, in their own words: "Project CARS is the most authentic, beautiful, intense, and technically-advanced racing game on the planet."

Community Assisted Racing Simulator. LOL

It's not like you HAVE to use it, if it was implemented.

But it might keep more players interested longer and help them improve.

RiseOfLex88
20-05-2015, 21:03
In a perfect world it'd have a scalable option.

Personally I'd go for unlimited flashbacks in practice, then none in quali and one / two / three for the race depending on how long it is and what series.

Then I can learn new circuits, I know almost all the F1 (old and new) circuits but the pcars tracks throw a wide variety in the season, i dislike changing up the difficulty.

WhiteNinja636
20-05-2015, 21:20
I pro this idea as well. I can understand the arguments against it but it's so frustrating when a glitch or overly aggressive AI ruins your race especially if you are a few hours deep into a endurance race.
It would certainly reduce the amount of session restarts

Umer Ahmad
20-05-2015, 21:25
#NoRewind

JessicaWalter
20-05-2015, 21:32
im against the rewind. regardless if you call this a sim or not, videogames in general should never have started using rewind (unless it's an actual gameplay part of the game like in Braid).

whats the thrill in winning if you can just erase any mistake you make?

rewind goes completely against what i love about this game

Mr Akina
20-05-2015, 21:36
I play with a controller, so having a rewind function over the past few weeks would have been helpful as the game likes to throw you into the wall every other race.

RiseOfLex88
20-05-2015, 22:45
I think it just needs to be along the same line as the 'no session restarts' option. If people want to treat it as a sim, go for it, leave flashback/rewind off. For others, enable it.

(slightly hesitant on making a new post for 'mid-race game saving')

JessicaWalter
20-05-2015, 22:56
i think people that want a rewind should play another game.

this is what happens when little league gives the losing teams trophies...every kid grows up wanting everything handed to them

WhiteNinja636
20-05-2015, 23:15
If 1 rewind became available after say 10 laps and you incurred a 10sec penalty each time you used it I think it would be fair.
If the game played flawlessly I would probably be arguing against it but it isn't, it's far from it so the rewind will take some of the stress and frustration out of playing the game in its current state

Mr Akina
20-05-2015, 23:27
i think people that want a rewind should play another game.

this is what happens when little league gives the losing teams trophies...every kid grows up wanting everything handed to them

So what about those being punished by bugs in the game? Rewinding the few seconds before the steering wheel randomly turns into the wall isn't acceptable?

JessicaWalter
20-05-2015, 23:34
you don't introduce a gamebreaking cheat feature to band-aid some bugs.

the bugs will be fixed and then the cheat will still be there and if they try to take it away the "i dont know how to play" crowd will complain enough to keep it. its a slippery slope and i really hope this game doesnt go down it. things like rewind would make me build a gaming rig and just switch over to AC or something. dont forza this beautiful game into mediocrity

Mr Akina
20-05-2015, 23:47

the bugs will be fixed and then the cheat will still be there and if they try to take it away the "i dont know how to play" crowd will complain enough to keep it. its a slippery slope and i really hope this game doesnt go down it. things like rewind would make me build a gaming rig and just switch over to AC or something. dont forza this beautiful game into mediocrity

What is wrong with making the game slightly more appealing to people new to sims?

It already has the steering and brake assists. I must have missed your post to remove those immediately lol, I'm surprised you're still here! :P

We all started somewhere. If it wasn't for Forza, Gran Turismo, TOCA... pCARS wouldn't have the fan base it currently has. Remember, this will sell way more on consoles than PCs. It's not like you must use the 'rewind' and it doesn't affect online racing... So where is the real harm being done? Only to people who want to boast they race a 'Sim' and how much more 'real' it is compared to Forza/GT. If you want to get rid of people who have never been able to play a Sim before, then where does the new blood come from?

JessicaWalter
20-05-2015, 23:58
the new blood comes from producing a great game, which sms have done. keep adding things to make it easier and it will just blend in with the rest of the racing "games" on console. i haven't enjoyed a console racing game in prolly 10 years.

and for the record, i said i was against rewind feature in all games unless it's an integral part of the game and you NEED it to complete certain parts that aren't possible without it.

there is no reason to rewind at all. you get all the cars already so you don't need to earn them. what do you need rewind for if the times and races you win using it aren't even legit?

if you can't finish a race then lower the laps and practice.
(im not talking about bugs, as i believe those will be fixed)

did you gyys used to do homework with the teachers version of the textbook as well? everyone wants shortcuts. shortcuts lead to invalidated lap times -_-

Essobie
21-05-2015, 04:30
I'd probably never use a rewind feature in career races or qualifying, but you guys thinking "sim" equals "should do everything just like real life" need to stretch your imagination. My ideal simulator (for any vehicle, not just cars) would allow me to practice one very specific aspect of driving/piloting over and over with as little downtime as possible. While the rewind feature was originally used as a difficulty level assist like brake help, throttle control, racing line, etc., it could also be really useful to practice hitting a single turn over and over and over until you really learn the correct entry/apex/exit points for that turn.

It has already been covered, but I would think that free practice would have unlimited rewinds, then whatever your overall difficulty level for career or single race weekend or whatever would have some limited amount per lap/race/whatever. And obviously none of this would be in multiplayer, so how ever someone wants to cheat on their own single player game is up to them anyway.

For flight sims there are a number of titles that allow you to do the equivalent of "rewind" in this fashion with mission generators or custom mission editors, where you can create a scenario for yourself and then drill it until it is perfect.

The problem with racing sims is that if you want to practice turn number 14 at Nordschleife at speed, you only get to practice that turn once every 7.5 minutes or so, depending on how fast your car is and how much you suck. How cool would it be to be able to practice every inch of that track, one corner at a time until you nailed every corner?

madmax2069
21-05-2015, 04:45
I wouldn't use it, never used it in Forza. I dont need it.

RiseOfLex88
21-05-2015, 10:03

Just to be clear, we're still talking about offline. Personally I don't think it's cheating and ultimately who cares if it is?

RiseOfLex88
21-05-2015, 10:17
If you can't finish a race then lower the laps and practice.

It's not really a question of "can't", take a race I had a few days ago...

Formula B, Race at Dubai, started 14th for a 26 lap race. Pit lap 18 from 7th, a few laps later cat jumps on the desk, breaks concentration, spin, hit wall, no front wing and tracking knocked out of alignment.

I could have pitted and finished the race, but that would be dull and disappointing. I didn't have time to restart the race and fit it in so I had to quit pcars for the evening.

A flashback would set me back a few corners before and I could carry on. Race for another 10 minutes, finish somewhere in the top 10, all happy, sprint race tomorrow!

TrevorAustin
21-05-2015, 10:21
Personally I hate the idea!

Nor is AI driving into you after a sensible overtake after they've bounced across the chicane at Monza, an hour into a race, completely ruining it. Not like I'm racing against Schumacher:)

TrevorAustin
21-05-2015, 10:22
I wouldn't use it, never used it in Forza. I dont need it.

Wow, then nobody should have it. I don't need power assisted steering in my car, should we remove it?

TrevorAustin
21-05-2015, 10:25
I'd probably never use a rewind feature in career races or qualifying, but you guys thinking "sim" equals "should do everything just like real life" need to stretch your imagination. My ideal simulator (for any vehicle, not just cars) would allow me to practice one very specific aspect of driving/piloting over and over with as little downtime as possible. While the rewind feature was originally used as a difficulty level assist like brake help, throttle control, racing line, etc., it could also be really useful to practice hitting a single turn over and over and over until you really learn the correct entry/apex/exit points for that turn.

It has already been covered, but I would think that free practice would have unlimited rewinds, then whatever your overall difficulty level for career or single race weekend or whatever would have some limited amount per lap/race/whatever. And obviously none of this would be in multiplayer, so how ever someone wants to cheat on their own single player game is up to them anyway.

For flight sims there are a number of titles that allow you to do the equivalent of "rewind" in this fashion with mission generators or custom mission editors, where you can create a scenario for yourself and then drill it until it is perfect.

The problem with racing sims is that if you want to practice turn number 14 at Nordschleife at speed, you only get to practice that turn once every 7.5 minutes or so, depending on how fast your car is and how much you suck. How cool would it be to be able to practice every inch of that track, one corner at a time until you nailed every corner?

ALso these guys are the same ones who say "I wouldn't race with any assists on, that's cheating" blah, blah, blah. Well actually it isn't, most of the cars have most of these assists:) I do wish we could get away from "that's not real sim" responses. This game is aimed at the mass market, SMS want maximum sales, presumably, not just a hardcore of "real sim racers" Fantastic if it appeals to them, but don't exclude the others.

Essobie
22-05-2015, 03:50
I totally understand where they are coming from... I'm merely saying they should rethink their perspective. This isn't an "arcade racer vs sim racer" feature request in my mind. And I think everyone in this thread should change their mind to be more like my mind.

RiseOfLex88
22-05-2015, 22:13
So in terms of being constructive in this discussion, if this were to be added... yay or nay the following...

1. A fixed set of flashbacks (defined by the player) for races.
2. None for quali
3. An unlimited amount for practice
4. Rewinds up to 20 - 30 seconds.
5. Flashbacks can't be stacked (unlike forza where you can rewind back to the start of the race )
6. Completely removes all possibility of laptimes getting added to any online rankings

Essobie
23-05-2015, 01:06
Sounds pretty good to me. If they wanted to give a shot at Game Design(tm) they could actually decide some arbitrary number to the limit of flashbacks per races based on difficulty settings, but it seems pretty unimportant. You can already just allow restarts in career races and redo any number of bone-headed mistakes. It just takes longer to do it currently.

As far as #6, I'd probably just say they'd be turned off for time trials in general (that's where the online rankings get laptimes, right?).

RiseOfLex88
23-05-2015, 19:43
Another flashback reason...

Spa Formula B lap 7 of 14, into pits, team-mate pits same lap, occupies box, no double-stack, just sends me through the pitlane like a drive through, race ruined as I still need to pit next lap.

This is mainly a bug as it's not possible to pre-warn the pit crew in a FB race for some reason.

Still, flashback would have saved this annoyed feeling after what was a really good, clean race.

Lars Rosenquist
23-05-2015, 19:59
Rewind is not just another assist because Rewind promotes bad driving instead of encouraging proper racecraft. Assists help you out, but definitely do not reward bad driving. There's a huge difference between lowering the difficulty level (either by assists, AI level or both) and implementing an 'undo' feature (basically one step away from a 'win race' button). And as mentioned, bugs should be fixed, not have some feature covering them up.

As for people playing the sim vs arcade card: An 'undo feature' has no place in arcade racers either as far as I'm concerned. Absolutely horrible in any racing game IMO.

John Hargreaves
23-05-2015, 21:08
The more you play without rewind, the more you get used to it and it stops being a problem for the most part. I think it's how your mind is set, so sometimes it's better to avoid a crash and accept a lower place than to risk everything and end up last. This game teaches you to think and drive like the pros, so give the AI room, and imagine that car you are up against is being driven by some mother's son and I think you'll end up enjoying it more.

Robhd
24-05-2015, 21:00
That doesn't seem that relevant, I'm not spending my weekend talking to engineers and practicing for hours prior to a race. A game's a game, sim or arcade.

Sir, step right up... We have a game tailored for your needs... Its called F..O..R...Z.... Got it yet.

Robhd
24-05-2015, 21:01

Sir, step right up... We have a game tailored for your needs... Its called F..O..R...Z.... Got it yet?

sirsnifthespeed
25-05-2015, 04:12
rewind is a very very bad idea

MiZtErNiCe
25-05-2015, 11:33
personally i like that there is no rewind feature and i would like SMS to keep it that way

LordDRIFT
25-05-2015, 14:01
Disable restarts and see how much more focused you are in long races. Watch how you exercise patience in stead of forcing a pass. Watch how much more fulfilling the podium is. If you know you have a crutch you will always drive like you have a crutch. Racing is unpredictable. If you crash out, get me next season. Should add to the replay factor.

Franco Ferrari
25-05-2015, 14:16
#DriveLikeYouOwnIt

LextersQuest
25-05-2015, 17:15
No flashbacks needed in this game. And from the moment the freeze up problem is solved also the restart option will be not needed.

Let the game be as close to real as possible!

Bounty_V
25-05-2015, 17:21
Here's the thing though. There have been plenty of racing games out lately that have the rewind feature. In fact, there have been plenty of racing games period. So unless Project CARS is someone's first racing game ever, I really don't see why SMS need to bend over backwards to hold the hands of people trying a real sim for the first time. Guess what, the physics are a lot more realistic than an arcade game and it's going to take a lot of getting used to and it's going to be hard. If you want something easy you can go relax to, find a nice arcade racer. There are plenty of features already available to assist people learning how to play.

Instead of trying to change the game to cater to you and 'ease a little frustration', change your mindset when you play the game. Wake up to the reality that this game takes focus and punishes you for your mistakes just as much as it rewards you for your improvement. Instant gratification can be found in arcade racers. #norewind

Essobie
25-05-2015, 17:55
I'm seeing a lot of people parrot the "this game should be hard, why are you wanting to make it easier" line of argument, but no one is addressing the fact that a fully featured rewind system could actually make really bad drivers better drivers through actual practice instead of running around a circuit making the same mistakes over and over.

Don't get me wrong, if the same guy/gal that would be put on creating this feature is also the same person that needs to fix the HUD persistence, multiple setup files per car/track combo, etc.... we can punt the rewind feature until the start of the inevitable sequel to this game. Am I right?

Bounty_V
25-05-2015, 19:58
I'm seeing a lot of people parrot the "this game should be hard, why are you wanting to make it easier" line of argument, but no one is addressing the fact that a fully featured rewind system could actually make really bad drivers better drivers through actual practice instead of running around a circuit making the same mistakes over and over.

Don't get me wrong, if the same guy/gal that would be put on creating this feature is also the same person that needs to fix the HUD persistence, multiple setup files per car/track combo, etc.... we can punt the rewind feature until the start of the inevitable sequel to this game. Am I right?

The way I see it, arcade racers are learning to ride a bike with training wheels. A racing sim is taking the training wheels off.

SauRoN_ZA
26-05-2015, 09:09
Have the devs talked about or planned to introduce a flashback feature for offline?

I love long races but it's turning a game into infuriating work when a distraction causes a spin, or the AI f*** you up, or the game just glytches. Personally, I like a limited use flashback like in other racers.

If I'm sitting down for an hour on pcars in the evening I don't want to do hot laps at the back of the grid 10 laps into a race just cause of a small mistake. I love the rest of the pcars but flashback helps gamify a sim.

From what I saw on the trophies/achievements list the game isn't geared towards having you win every single even in every single class.

As such losing a race here and there or not coming first shouldn't be seen as a penalty but rather a realistic event.

Unlike say Forza you don't need to get gold every single time.

Bounkass
26-05-2015, 18:16
I'd like to see this idea implented. If you don't like it, don't use it. Simple. Or turn it off where before the race where you set your AI level.

Sankyo
26-05-2015, 18:30
I'd like to see this idea implented. If you don't like it, don't use it. Simple. Or turn it off where before the race where you set your AI level.

The only detail that you're overlooking is that it's not free to implement it, i.e. it takes time and resources. And money. The option doesn't really fit into the game's philosophy either, so that puts it very much at the bottom of the list.

Chrisco Racing
30-05-2015, 10:01
It is infuriating when you make a mistake half way into a race or when an opponent drives you off the road. Why do you think racing drivers look so P****d off when they end up in the gravel trap? :mad:

Whenever you feel this way, you are feeling exactly like a real driver ;)

Ryzza5
31-05-2015, 01:27
At least we don't have to travel half way around the world first :) https://twitter.com/BenCollinsStig/status/563801510958866432

Equation
31-05-2015, 10:11
I don't need flashback. If it is my mistake, okey I need to make some better that it doen't happen again. If it opponents fault I watch replay, make sure what happened and continue next race. Sometimes it is painfull but you need just foward without looking back.

ao1977
31-05-2015, 10:45

…

100% agreed!

I would really love an option to learn a track properly and to do tune my car and controls, while I'd opt totally against a rewind feature in races and time trials though (… 'cause pCars ain't Forza, yo.).

It would look like this:
* Similar to time trial, but without leaderboards and stuff. Just for personal use.
* Rewind whenever and as far as needed, until you finally get that one easy looking corner and the next braking point.
* Direct access to controller settings via menu, so you can tune sensitivity and stuff
* Bonus feature: Direct access to (at least the basic features) car setup via menu. Yes, this is totally not sim, but in real life I'd have an engineer whom I could dictate my impressions while driving, which I don't have in pCars (and my wife is absolutely no help here). And in real life I'd have the possibility to read and apply telemetry printouts, which i don't have in pCars on Xbox.

I real life you have so much more options to get to learn a new track, beginning with real depth perception, so I think it's helpful as well as legal to use little and fair aids helping to close that gap a bit more.

To those who cling to pCars being "sim only": How close to realism is that time trial part of the game, huh? Like, without fuel comsumption, bananas on tracks and stuff? :cool:

Jordymac
13-07-2015, 09:41
Simple solution, add 'flashbacks'. Those who want to use it can and those who have their head so far up their own a** ("this is a sim, man"), can disable it or not use it - everybody's happy.

I like the game as real as possible, no assists, no guide lines, manual gearbox, cockpit view and AI ACE. I enjoy the challenge but sometimes I make mistakes and I want to throw my control through the TV when I'm on the final bend of the final lap.

Don't add unlimited flashbacks, add maybe 3 max that way you'll still be extremely careful when getting on the power out of that heavy right hander!

sbtm
13-07-2015, 09:58
Simple solution, add 'flashbacks'. Those who want to use it can and those who have their head so far up their own a** ("this is a sim, man"), can disable it or not use it - everybody's happy.

I like the game as real as possible, no assists, no guide lines, manual gearbox, cockpit view and AI ACE. I enjoy the challenge but sometimes I make mistakes and I want to throw my control through the TV when I'm on the final bend of the final lap.

Don't add unlimited flashbacks, add maybe 3 max that way you'll still be extremely careful when getting on the power out of that heavy right hander!

As mentioned earlier in this thread it doesn't fit project cars' philosophy. So no need to discuss it further.
And it's not that "simple" to add the feature.
Their resources should all be concentrated on bug fixing and dlc

FS7
13-07-2015, 16:53
It removes a lot of the challenge.
The same could be said about driving aids, being able to turn damage & penalties off, and being able to turn AI difficulty down, all of those things remove challenge.

I don't like to use rewinds in races because I feel it spoils the experience, but I think rewind is a great tool to use in time trial when learning a new track as it saves a lot of time. It's definitely a nice feature to have but I don't see it as something essential, there are other things that have more priority imo.

leithnow
20-08-2015, 00:33
So no rewind feature is coming? Can we make AI spinouts a bit more common then maybe. Hard to be perfect in a race for longer than an hour...

leithnow
20-08-2015, 00:36
And why is a restart feature ok but not a rewind feature? If you make a mistake 2 minutes into a race, it's ok to reset, but 2 hours into the race, you just gotta deal with it?

Cholton82
20-08-2015, 18:50
I say get rid of restart and hell no too rewinds ! Live and learn from the mistakes you make it will only make you stronger !
(Like forgetting to adjust the fuel load before the race starts like I do regularly ) :)

leithnow
20-08-2015, 23:27
Let's get rid of pause while we are at it.

Racer Pro
20-08-2015, 23:31
That doesn't seem that relevant, I'm not spending my weekend talking to engineers and practicing for hours prior to a race. A game's a game, sim or arcade.play nsf the crew driveclub its more you type of game

Fanatest
22-08-2015, 12:54
play nsf the crew driveclub its more you type of game

Well..
This game does have the following:
Driving Line
Driving Aids
Fantasy Cars that don't exist in real life
Fantastic tracks that don't exist in real life
The ability to speed up time
The ability to speed up weather
The ability to program the weather
The ability to pause
The HUD
The ability to use a controller
The ability to restart
The ability to add move style post processing effects
It's a computer game sold in toys r us for ages 3 and up
The ability to give up and let the AI finish the race
The ability to change view and drive from 3rd person etc..

This "it's not real life" excuse is a real stretch :)

Remco nailed it! It's bout the dev time / cost in creating and implementing such a feature.

Personally I'm all for it, as the game has EVERY other aid that every other game has, so the OPTION to use this one should be no exception.

Thiws
30-07-2016, 16:29
i want that feature so badly. Its terrible wen you are on the 8th lap and make a simple mistake and u have to restart all again! I just quit playing. I would play much more with that feature. Who doesn't wanna play with it just turn it off! As well as driving lines and so on...

Redslayer
01-08-2016, 02:48
I'm 100% for it. And I think it's an elitist attitude to want to limit options for others based on what you think "belongs in a sim" if its offline online it literally has no effect on you if you don't want to use it.

Honestly, I probably would have played the single player much more if it had this feature. But instead I pretty much only play the game for league races. Probably the least amount of time I've ever put into my "primary racer". But when the AI does some dumb **** and there's no rewind to remove the error, then I have no reason to keep getting cheated. Esp when the AI races like a lot of noobs online lol.

Thiws
03-08-2016, 19:35
If the excuse are the costs okay, make it a DLC paid feature.. i'll gladly pay...

Norxman
12-08-2016, 15:43
I don't want it but I don't care if others have it. Easy enough for me that when I have aids set to real I can't use it.

If people don't want it because they feel it cheapens the "sim" experience then add achievements/trophies for completing career championships without them so there's also a reward for not using it.

cxMilk
12-08-2016, 17:19
From what I saw on the trophies/achievements list the game isn't geared towards having you win every single even in every single class.

As such losing a race here and there or not coming first shouldn't be seen as a penalty but rather a realistic event.

I think people quoting sim v. arcade as the crux of the issue are missing the point. Frankly, I could care less if the feature was included; I wouldn't use it, but I would like to add why I think it shouldn't be included and SauRon ZA more or less nailed it. Rewind is a byproduct of games like Forza where they've instilled this mindset of win or go home and do whatever it #$*%& takes to do so. "Features" like rewind and demolition derby style AI in those games have taught us bad racecraft and poor sportsmanship. Unfortunately, many of us who have been taught these bad habits have carried it over into a game where bad racecraft can actually punish you. Instead of realizing what bad habits we've been carrying around all these years in other racing games, we'd rather have the same band-aid that those other games have to continue the carefree use of bad racecraft.

Racecraft is everything in this game. One thing I've learned about PCars is if you respect the AI, the AI will respect you. Games like Forza force you to be aggressive and make moves at all costs. This leads to a lack of respect for the AI and the inevitable: contact. Race PCars using the same style and the AI are likely to get a bit more argy-bargy than other games have in the past. Race with a proper balance of patience and aggressiveness and it's a world of difference.

As far as the rewind v. restart argument, I understand the consternation over this. Thing is, they're not exactly the same thing. For the record, I don't care for restarts either but I will admit to having used it two or three times over the course of several hundred or thousand plus races that I've done due to extraordinary circumstances at the time. While restarts have the same effect on sportsmanship that rewinds have, it doesn't have the same effect on racecraft. With restarts, it's literally that, a restart so you're going to have to deal with the start again, the first corner again, and anything else that may offer a chance at mayhem that already reared its ugly head in the original race. Sure, it saves you from the embarrassment of a DNF, or worse, a DQ, but you still have to battle it out over the course of an entire race to prove you can do better. The effect it does have on racecraft is you lose the opportunity to watch the replay, find out exactly what happened, and hopefully learn from the mistake be it your own or perhaps what you could have done differently to avoid someone else's.

Rewinds in Free Practice? Can fully understand arguments for this one, but then, there's some other stuff that should be available in Free Practice too, like more freedom over tire management in the pits. Oh well. Unfortunately, I could foresee rewinds causing an even bigger stink if they were available here and nowhere else in the game which eventually leads back to why I think they should't exist to begin with.

I understand there are those who suffer extenuating circumstances where a case can be made for rewinds. As mentioned, I had a couple that led to restarts, but honestly, extenuating circumstances should be a once in a blue moon deal. The trade off for a potentially rare situation compared to embracing bad racecraft and poor sportsmanship isn't worth it in my opinion. Instead, let's have a game, for once, that tries to put quality racecraft back in the racing game genre.

eracerhead
12-08-2016, 20:32
a bunch of awesome

Go re-read that

Bultaco85
17-08-2016, 11:05

Again with this Forza bashing stupidity...

Forza is a great game, in many areas better than PCARS and in other areas worse, iīve NEVER used rewind, i wouldīt do it in PCARS either.
And donīt come with the bullshit that bugs will get fixed, because they wonīt, AI is crazy, there is rubberbanding and a lot more stuff.

Bultaco85
17-08-2016, 11:08

In Forza you donīt have to win any race actually, you donīt have to get gold or any other metal.

Cuba
17-08-2016, 12:08
(slightly hesitant on making a new post for 'mid-race game saving')

Don't do it! LOL