PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Pressure Question

Pink_650S
20-05-2015, 23:46
Hey everyone,

first of all my english isnt the best and my tech-english is even worse, so l hope you still understand my question.
So l read the description in the game on what tyre pressures affect. I still have a few unanswered question, though.

Why do some stock tyre pressure settings vary so much? I.e. the default setting on the MP4 12C GT3 is on 1.90, when the Vantage GT3's are on 2.10. Now its the same class, but why do they have such a difference?

I always lower the tyre pressure on any car before exiting the pits, is that a good idea? And where is the boarder when you lose grip by increasing or decreasing it too much? Is decreasing it by 0.10 already too much?

When is a good situation to increase the pressure?

I know, many questions, l hope somebody can enlighten me :)
Thanks.

FoxMulder
21-05-2015, 01:04
I'm also wondering this. I was watching the 24h of Nurburgring and there was an interview with a pit engineer I think it was, and they were talking about grip and tyres and all that shenanigans. He said that slicks have a window where they have the most grip, which he said was in the range of 1.80 to 1.85 bar. All the different tyre pressures in the standard setups in this game are really confusing to me too.

Pink_650S
21-05-2015, 01:11
Indeed, the high pressure on some of the cars is very odd, at least with my current knowledge.

HarryHoodlum
21-05-2015, 02:14
I noticed this in career mode. I tend to leave it as is, but have lowered it for rainy races.

Also OP your English is perfect. Better than a lot of people in the US lol

Gordon
21-05-2015, 02:35
leave it as is, but have lowered it for rainy races.

Same here except I haven't got round to testing enough to make it worthwhile lowering pressures for wet races yet :)

Pink_650S
21-05-2015, 02:56
Okay, so lowering the pressure under wet conditions. By much?

danowat
21-05-2015, 08:09
Probably because the default setups are junk?

I think, that instead of having a default setup for EVERY track, there should be one global default setup that people use for every track, and then you can tune it to suit.

Equation
21-05-2015, 08:55
Is that harder get low pressure tyres to warm than high pressure?

danowat
21-05-2015, 08:59
Is that harder get low pressure tyres to warm than high pressure?

No, t'other way round.

Equation
21-05-2015, 09:02
No, t'other way round.

Thank you about confirmation. Looks that I have something wrong with myu setup. I have to check it out.

justonce68
21-05-2015, 09:05
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=58

This might provide some insight into what Tyre pressures do to the handling of your cars, and what you should change for wet conditions.

Franco Ferrari
21-05-2015, 09:08
Probably because the default setups are junk?
I think, that instead of having a default setup for EVERY track, there should be one global default setup that people use for every track, and then you can tune it to suit.

It's already this way.

The default setup of most of the cars is already good for most of the tracks on dry conditions, usually requiring adjustments to the aero load, brake and radiator opening to suit all the situations. *
Wet conditions are a different thing, but once you learn what to change in case of rain, it's just a matter of minutes really.

Only a handful of cars have not been properly balanced, but are being worked on as we speak.
And when required, the correct setup is posted so that everyone can try it.
Take a look here for example: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?26366-Lotus-72D-Cosworth-Formule-1-Racing-Car&p=923911&viewfull=1#post923911

* I'm not saying that the default setup is perfect, I'm saying that it's right as you asked: a default, balanced and all-around good setup, to base your personal modifications upon.

danowat
21-05-2015, 09:11
It's already this way.

The default setup of most of the cars is already good for most of the tracks on dry conditions, usually requiring adjustments to the aero load, brake and radiator opening to suit all the situations. *
Wet conditions are a different thing, but once you learn what to change in case of rain, it's just a matter of minutes really.

Only a handful of cars have not been properly balanced, but are being worked on as we speak.
And when required, the correct setup is posted so that everyone can try it.
Take a look here for example: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?26366-Lotus-72D-Cosworth-Formule-1-Racing-Car&p=923911&viewfull=1#post923911

* I'm not saying that the default setup is perfect, I'm saying that it's right as you asked: a default, balanced and all-around good setup, to base your personal modifications upon.

That's good to know, is the BMW Procar one of the one that's being worked on?

Bealdor
21-05-2015, 09:15
Hey everyone,

first of all my english isnt the best and my tech-english is even worse, so l hope you still understand my question.
So l read the description in the game on what tyre pressures affect. I still have a few unanswered question, though.

Why do some stock tyre pressure settings vary so much? I.e. the default setting on the MP4 12C GT3 is on 1.90, when the Vantage GT3's are on 2.10. Now its the same class, but why do they have such a difference?

I always lower the tyre pressure on any car before exiting the pits, is that a good idea? And where is the boarder when you lose grip by increasing or decreasing it too much? Is decreasing it by 0.10 already too much?

Thanks.

1. The McLaren and the Aston are different cars. Different supension geometry (motion ratio or wheel base for example) lead to different optimal tire pressures.
2. Lower tire pressures are better tracks with lots of fast corners. While higher pressures are better for fast tracks like Monza because of the lower rolling resistence.

I'm also wondering this. I was watching the 24h of Nurburgring and there was an interview with a pit engineer I think it was, and they were talking about grip and tyres and all that shenanigans. He said that slicks have a window where they have the most grip, which he said was in the range of 1.80 to 1.85 bar. All the different tyre pressures in the standard setups in this game are really confusing to me too.

The shown tire pressures for cars with preheated tires (like GT3 cars) are warm tire pessures while for the other cars they show cold tire pressures.
So your mentioned 1.80 bar result in roughly 2.1-2.2 bar warm pressures, if that engineer was talking about cold pressures.

Franco Ferrari
21-05-2015, 09:25
That's good to know, is the BMW Procar one of the one that's being worked on?

Nope.
The M1 already has a refined setup.

danowat
21-05-2015, 09:32
Nope.
The M1 already has a refined setup.

I'll have to respectful disagree, max front ARB does that car no favours, and the fact that the default setup means you'll have overheated tyres in as little as two laps means it's, at least to me, far from "refined"

Franco Ferrari
21-05-2015, 09:49
I'll have to respectful disagree, max front ARB does that car no favours, and the fact that the default setup means you'll have overheated tyres in as little as two laps means it's, at least to me, far from "refined"

I think you need to provide more info about this particular issue.
I've driven the M1 for months with this setup and never noticed any overheating to the tyres.

But before we start to investigate setups, you should at least specify the controller you are using and the platform you're playing the game on.

It could be depending on your particular driving style.

danowat
21-05-2015, 09:58
I think you need to provide more info about this particular issue.
I've driven the M1 for months with this setup and never noticed any overheating to the tyres.

But before we start to investigate setups, you should at least specify the controller you are using and the platform you're playing the game on.

It could be depending on your particular driving style.

PS4 with a DS4

Bealdor
21-05-2015, 10:00
PS4 with a DS4

I know it's hard on a gamepad but try to not overdrive the car. Am I right in assuming that you're constantly overheating the front tires?

MrStef85
21-05-2015, 10:06
Hey everyone,

Thanks.

Different chassis, car weight, placement of the engine etc. etc.

danowat
21-05-2015, 10:17
I know it's hard on a gamepad but try to not overdrive the car. Am I right in assuming that you're constantly overheating the front tires?

I'm not over driving it, it doesn't happen in any (most) of the other cars, I am quite experianced in driving sims (thousands of hours on LFS and iR, was an original iR beta tester), so I know what I am doing in terms of driving round problems, and not over driving.

Franco Ferrari
21-05-2015, 14:53
I'm not over driving it, it doesn't happen in any (most) of the other cars, I am quite experianced in driving sims (thousands of hours on LFS and iR, was an original iR beta tester), so I know what I am doing in terms of driving round problems, and not over driving.

No problems.
This evening I'll make a dozen laps on a twisty track with the M1 on default and see what I'll find out.

Pink_650S
21-05-2015, 15:37
@Bealdor: Thanks! Its good to know that the pressure increases by that much when heated up.

Bealdor
21-05-2015, 15:50
@Bealdor: Thanks! Its good to know that the pressure increases by that much when heated up.

It's about 15-20% (0.3-0.4bar) from cold to working temp afaik.

Franco Ferrari
21-05-2015, 18:18

As promised.
I've taken the M1 and thrashed it around like a madman... but the only occasion where I was able to overheat one tyre (front left), was at the 10th lap at Willow Spring Horse Thief Mile, starting from cold tyres and a couple of laps to gain a decent pace.
(I think I also set a new lap record... I have to check that. :) )

Sorry... I cannot reproduce your overheating problem. :(
Instead I had problems heating the tyres, not the contrary.

Maybe you could take a video?

danowat
21-05-2015, 20:14
Try one of the short tracks, either Catalunya or Hockenheim national

Marcd23
21-05-2015, 21:11
The bit that baffles me, is the fact that tyre pressures that you can set for the pit stops don't always reach the range of what the default pressure is.

Franco Ferrari
22-05-2015, 08:32
Try one of the short tracks, either Catalunya or Hockenheim national

One of the tracks I tried yesterday was Hockenheim GP, but I still had no problems.
Also I made two laps of the Nordschleife, and ended with the 4 wheels still "blue". The second lap was 7:22... not blistering fast, but I was not touring either.

Anyway this evening I'll try again with the two tracks you mentioned.

Meanwhile, I'd strongly suggest you to record a video (with the telemetry screen exposed).
It would be useful.

Bealdor
22-05-2015, 08:39
One of the tracks I tried yesterday was Hockenheim GP, but I still had no problems.
Also I made two laps of the Nordschleife, and ended with the 4 wheels still "blue". The second lap was 7:22... not blistering fast, but I was not touring either.

Meanwhile, I'd strongly suggest you to record a video (with the telemetry screen exposed).
It would be useful.

If you can't overheat tires at Catalunya, you're not fast enough. :p

danowat
22-05-2015, 08:46

It would be useful.

I will, like I said, it's predominantly an issue with shorter tracks like the National versions of Catalunya and Hockenhiem, you are also using the default setups?

Longer tracks mean the tyres can cool sufficiently on the straights.

Thomas Sikora
22-05-2015, 08:57

with the tire pressure you can adjust the balance of the car (under/oversteer), its depends also how the weight distribution of the car is (more weight at front or rear)

IMO, NO, drive and check the temperature trend (outside middle inside), outside and middle should have nearly the same, inside are up to 4-5 ok, but not more.

with higher tirepressure you get more topspeed, at high speed tracks like monza i allways give little bit more then the default value. Also if the car is feeling "spongy", a increase can help here.

Franco Ferrari
22-05-2015, 08:57
If you can't overheat tires at Catalunya, you're not fast enough. :p

This is probably true, but I haven't tried Catalunya yet... so who knows?

I will, like I said, it's predominantly an issue with shorter tracks like the National versions of Catalunya and Hockenhiem, you are also using the default setups?
Longer tracks mean the tyres can cool sufficiently on the straights.

Yes, default setup obviously.

Well, the Horse Thief Mile is a short enough track IMO... have you tried it? :)
I made 0:53.280 (or something like that) in TT.
About same time in Free Practice with default setup.

Taxi_slider
20-10-2015, 01:59
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=58

This might provide some insight into what Tyre pressures do to the handling of your cars, and what you should change for wet conditions.

Just the sort of info I was after, thanks mate!