PDA

View Full Version : Pit Engineer

VulcanVFX
21-05-2015, 01:07
So correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't we supposed to have somebody talk to us through the race helping us with not only car information such as tire/fuel usage and giving us tips on what lines to what but also spotting by calling out when we have a car on our inside or outside? My pit engineer talks maybe once every 3 races....

Pink_650S
21-05-2015, 01:31
You have one lazy engineer, thats for sure ;)

Rockefelluh
21-05-2015, 01:33
I have the same issue. Sometimes he talks, then he'll take the next few races off.

VulcanVFX
21-05-2015, 01:33
Apparently, hell there's times where I'll race for hours and not hear a word out of him and my options have him turned on and everything.

Pink_650S
21-05-2015, 01:35
Yet, he doesnt say all that much interesting or helpful stuff, anyway.
I wish he would keep me informed about tyre and brake temperature, too :(

VulcanVFX
21-05-2015, 01:37
Like I said recall watching earlier footage where he called out cars around you and talked way more throughout the game so idk if it's glitched or what.

Pink_650S
21-05-2015, 01:38
No, not glitched.

VulcanVFX
21-05-2015, 01:41
I'm almost 95% sure he is lol as you can see from this footage, even when they first added him in the game around build 700 he called out future corners and did much more then what he does now and some of my friends he seems to talk throughout the whole race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDmqDe6uWrQ

Pink_650S
21-05-2015, 01:46
Hmm... He never gives me detailed info, mostly general stuff that l can also see on my HUD, i.e. gaps or a "good luck" before my qualifying lap.

VulcanVFX
21-05-2015, 01:48
Yes.... why I'm saying I'm pretty sure he's bugged out atleast on the XB1 version, I don't even get that lol he's supposed to call out the weather as well which he does for one of my friends but the rest of us don't get that either.

Rockefelluh
21-05-2015, 02:07
Yes.... why I'm saying I'm pretty sure he's bugged out atleast on the XB1 version, I don't even get that lol he's supposed to call out the weather as well which he does for one of my friends but the rest of us don't get that either.

Is your friend on xbox?

VulcanVFX
21-05-2015, 02:09
Yup lol least if I recall I'm pretty sure he said his pit engineer has called out when the rain's coming in and such several times but I could be wrong. I do know my pit engineer never talks compared to some people's where they do talk and on PC the pit engineer seems to be much, much more informative and the Xbox version has it's fair share of bugs as is so I'm thinking this is just a bug lol

PeoplesChampion
21-05-2015, 02:36
The pit engineer is supposed to talk? I've had that turned on since day one and I think I've heard him say something about not being paid enough, once.

Robhd
21-05-2015, 06:05
The only thing the lazy sod says to me is when i leave the pits which is go, go go... After that silence every race! I get messages appear at bottom of screeen but no voice accompaniment and yes i have the engineer option set to on!

Could someone please cram Rob Smedley into my xbox for me please... I could do with the help getting the set up smack on!

TrevorAustin
21-05-2015, 07:01
He's pretty rubbish, just coming out with the odd canned phrase on pc, maybe once acrqce telling me the gap to the car in front or that somebody is on my gearbox, (i know I've got mirrors, or that the mulsanne straight is a good place to overtake. But rarely anything useful.

OrenIshii BE
21-05-2015, 07:06
I'm on xbox too,
and hardly get any info from my engineer,

things i've heard,
"Your on the final lap"
"you have a good lead"
"be carefull on the outlap, cold tires"
"good race, congrats winning championship"

not in those words, and only get spoken to when exiting the pit, or crossing the start/finish line!

MULTIVITZ
21-05-2015, 08:20
I hope he can engineer the setup, fat chance, he engineers the race, with things like 'go for my pole' and 'someones comming from behind!' then he goes quiet.......I wonder what he's doing? Better contract better help, time will tell if it was all hype or actually ment something. Race engineer! Not a wide open job description.

VulcanVFX
21-05-2015, 09:06
Safe to say it's bugged. I've seen early footage where he calls out corners, weather conditions, spots cars, car diagnosis, and so fourth. They even said in an interview a while back that you'll be able to contact him for advice on tuning, and this isn't an option yet so be interesting to see this get patched, not a huge bug but just one I thought should be mentioned and I haven't seen it mentioned much :)

I race in cockpit with my FOV turned up so the call outs for where cars are would be very useful lol

TrevorAustin
21-05-2015, 10:11
Safe to say it's bugged. I've seen early footage where he calls out corners, weather conditions, spots cars, car diagnosis, and so fourth. They even said in an interview a while back that you'll be able to contact him for advice on tuning, and this isn't an option yet so be interesting to see this get patched, not a huge bug but just one I thought should be mentioned and I haven't seen it mentioned much :)

I race in cockpit with my FOV turned up so the call outs for where cars are would be very useful lol

Exactly the same for me using the DK2, all I've got for help is the cars dash. No HUD, not even any visible start lights:)

Bigsteviet
21-05-2015, 10:26
I've heard things like telling me I have a second lead and I should push to open it. I kinda figured that myself ;)

What would be more useful is accurate weather info, as in 'It's starting to rain now, but forecast to stop in two laps. Stay out there and go steady.' or 'Heavy rain is on its way for the rest of the race. Come in for tyres.'

Updates about the position of your main rival in a championship would be useful, too. eg: "James Burton is your main rival for the title. He's in third place, 8 seconds ahead of you. You can pass him by the end of the race, so push."

McQueen1977
21-05-2015, 11:33
I've noticed that I only get the pit guy speak if I am racing for my contracted team, if I am doing an event for another team then I get nothing!

Bigsteviet
21-05-2015, 12:04
Ooh - that's interesting! I'll keep an eye out for that. I've been doing lots of invitationals lately and I thought he'd gone a bit quiet...

Niveous21
21-05-2015, 20:58
When you are in the garage, there is text on the screen at times that says something about asking your engineer for setup help...can anyone explain how that works?

Buzzwah
21-05-2015, 21:08
I have and Xbox one and have found he's quiet in career but a lot more chatty during online races? He might wake up once a lap instead of once a race. I'd pay extra to get the Rob Smedley update.
P.S does anyone know of a link to the telemetry analysis ? I kind of understand what is being displayed but don't know how to interpret this and then make changes to my set up based on the information ?

Buzzwah
21-05-2015, 21:11
When you are in the garage, there is text on the screen at times that says something about asking your engineer for setup help...can anyone explain how that works?

I noticed that too. This option seems to be missing from the XB1 version?

LADY GEMMA JANE
21-05-2015, 21:12
I was wondering how you ask your engineer for setup help also

transfix
21-05-2015, 22:13
I was wondering how you ask your engineer for setup help also

Apparently it's a feature that will be added later on.

Bealdor
21-05-2015, 22:14
Ooh - that's interesting! I'll keep an eye out for that. I've been doing lots of invitationals lately and I thought he'd gone a bit quiet...

Race engineer is disabled in invitational events.

Rockefelluh
22-05-2015, 01:10
I've heard things like telling me I have a second lead and I should push to open it. I kinda figured that myself ;)

Well, to be fair, in longer races you may want to save tires, so he could say to keep the pace the same.

But yeah, agree with what you're getting at. I knew there would be some features that wouldn't carry to consoles. but they are not subtle ones. Atleast if you are familiar with the pcars PC builds.

LADY GEMMA JANE
22-05-2015, 06:58
Apparently it's a feature that will be added later on.

AH!
thank you friend

Murray943
24-05-2015, 09:52
The engineer is a good idea but is really quite annoying atm. does anyone else find that the engineer talks to them in the middle of a corner and then makes the game lag quite a lot? struggle to understand the point of the messages because most of the info can be found in the telemetry anyways lol. :D

Machinist90
24-05-2015, 09:56
Race engineer is disabled in invitational events.

what's the reason behind this?

VulcanVFX
24-05-2015, 09:56
Can't say I have, mine finally talked to me a bit last night, first time in a few days lol but this might explain why they've toned him down a lot till further updates. Also idk bout you but I find it difficult to pop up the telemetry and read the settings I need too during a race, not to mention the pit engineer is also supposed to help with calling out the severity of upcoming corners, incoming weather, and help spot cars on ur inside/outside so if they do update him and make him better I think it'd be amazing for us cockpit players.

transfix
24-05-2015, 10:25
So weird yesterday i popped on to play and he was chiming in quite regularly, which was nice to see. I wonder if they are working server side to resolve this?

vglnte102
24-05-2015, 16:37
Mine never shuts up. Sounds like Justin Bell...I want to punch him

Robhd
24-05-2015, 17:21
You are lucky... All he says to me is go...go...go as i exit the pits in practice/quali... Thats it!

I think he hates me!

milliotseb
25-05-2015, 08:03
As someone said, it appear that race engineer start to speak frequently during your main career races (except for kart).Once you reached superkart, it should be fine. Mine spoke a lot yesterday (gap for second, improving my best lap)
And yes, he does not speak during invitationals

jonnotheone
25-05-2015, 10:19
Iv only ever heard mine once when I pitted for fresh rubber he told me the pit crew had lost a wheel nut they lost three CU's he said it three times lost me practicly a whole lap lol considering gt cars have one nut to hold wheels on the lost one for three wheels lol...

Robhd
25-05-2015, 18:01
Are people who get the engineer talk to them using a wheel or pad? I get no voice using my thrustmaster

Raven403
25-05-2015, 18:16
Some races I have him saying things like "You have a good lead keep building a gap" Or if I have a wheel missing he'll tell me I have wheel/suspension damage. I don't get anything like advice or calling cars out. He warns me of weather Sometimes. But some races he's totally silent.

Tekkart
26-05-2015, 23:23
I've noticed that he's talking a lot more in long races. I set the race length in career mode to 76% and he talks to me up to 5-8 times per round! Position of my teammate, car battles in front of me, the gap to the car in front or behind etc....

Jeyrod
27-05-2015, 00:16
I hear him at the start. Then every once in a while letting me know I have a second on someone. Or letting my know that I should look for where I'm faster for the guy ahead

Cesco
27-05-2015, 07:15
I've finished the first season on karts and the pit engineer communications have been very inconsistent. He talked to me randomly on two or three races, in others not a single word. It's like if the option PIT ENGINEER turns itself off on some races. Cannot find a pattern to have him on on all races.

Machinist90
27-05-2015, 09:52
it sucks he's not on invitational events...I could really use a pit engineer on the 24H of lemans..

KkDrummer
27-05-2015, 09:58
it sucks he's not on invitational events...I could really use a pit engineer on the 24H of lemans..

Yeah I noticed that as well. He is on career races, but not invitational. Is this a bug or is it supposed to be like that?

Machinist90
27-05-2015, 10:01
Yeah I noticed that as well. He is on career races, but not invitational. Is this a bug or is it supposed to be like that?

apparently it's supposed to be like that...I asked why but got no response

Cesco
27-05-2015, 10:06
Sometimes I don't have the pit engineer in career races too. Or at least in kart races so far

Bigsteviet
27-05-2015, 10:09
Yesterday, I tried racing with no HUD at all. It was great fun, but there were times I had to go back to it to check things like laps left and position.

It would be great if the engineer would update you every time you complete a lap, eg: "Two laps left, P12."

Tekkart
27-05-2015, 10:50
Yesterday, I tried racing with no HUD at all. It was great fun, but there were times I had to go back to it to check things like laps left and position.

It would be great if the engineer would update you every time you complete a lap, eg: "Two laps left, P12."

Use the motec display for this... Laptime, tire/brake temperature, lap time, fuel, laps left, brake balance, average fuel, position.. All in the motec... After I found out how the motec works I don't use the hud anymore...

Apoc112
27-05-2015, 12:57
Use the motec display for this... Laptime, tire/brake temperature, lap time, fuel, laps left, brake balance, average fuel, position.. All in the motec... After I found out how the motec works I don't use the hud anymore...

Not every car has the motec. I also prefer to go no HUD, but was lacking some valuable information in the historic GT5 championship last night. I can't even read the gauge labels in the BMW to know which is which.

Bigsteviet
27-05-2015, 13:13
Not every car has the motec.

/\ This /\

Tekkart
27-05-2015, 14:25
Not every car has the motec. I also prefer to go no HUD, but was lacking some valuable information in the historic GT5 championship last night. I can't even read the gauge labels in the BMW to know which is which.

I know, i had the same problems with the labels... I changed the seat position and used a zoom mode from my tv to check what is what... And yes some cars don't have the motec, in this case you have to remember the training session(how long the tires are working, average fuel per round etc) and do some work in the "virtual" box.
I prefer the idea from a second screen to show the telemetry (support windows platforms please!) somewhere here in the forum

KkDrummer
27-05-2015, 14:34
apparently it's supposed to be like that...I asked why but got no response

thanks for that!

Spreaderz
27-05-2015, 14:35
Yea i hate having HUDS on the screen in all games , great if this info could be shown on a tablet . i thought with xbox smartglass this promoted second screen help. Hope it happens:)

Umer Ahmad
27-05-2015, 14:39
Guys, this '2nd screen' idea is lot of work. Telling you right now this will not happen. We have: 1. the MOTEC, 2. pit engineer, 3. mini-HUD, 4. big-HUD overlay 5. data AI ouptut (for PC players).....this game gives you information already so many ways.

So within these EXISTING FIVE mechanisms we can talk about improvements so you get the information you need. Do not expect a 6th, 7th, 8th mechanism...really it cannot be done EASILY and the "easy" options are the favorable ones.

Spreaderz
27-05-2015, 14:54
Alright Umer , Chill out ;)

Machinist90
27-05-2015, 14:58
Guys, this '2nd screen' idea is lot of work. Telling you right now this will not happen. We have: 1. the MOTEC, 2. pit engineer, 3. mini-HUD, 4. big-HUD overlay 5. data AI ouptut (for PC players).....this game gives you information already so many ways.

So within these EXISTING FIVE mechanisms we can talk about improvements so you get the information you need. Do not expect a 6th, 7th, 8th mechanism...really it cannot be done EASILY and the "easy" options are the favorable ones.

and there we have it,without pc there's a ton of information that gets lost plus to use the motec screen you have to turn off blur,speed sensitive FOV,camera movement...motec's no use to me,pit engineer gives limited to none info about how the car is doing...tire wear? a guess to me,all I get to see is how cosy warm they get

Umer Ahmad
27-05-2015, 15:05
Alright Umer , Chill out ;)

^haha, really nice day in Chicago. But seriously, I'm guiding you guys what is "easy" and what is "difficult". You need information agree, how you get that information we can discuss it in this easy/difficult paradigm.

and there we have it,without pc there's a ton of information that gets lost plus to use the motec screen you have to turn off blur,speed sensitive FOV,camera movement...motec's no use to me,pit engineer gives limited to none info about how the car is doing...tire wear? a guess to me,all I get to see is how cosy warm they get
^of the 5 mechanisms I listed, which one you would like to see improved FIRST? Personally I hope the Pit Engineer can give me the information about the "car health" on the radio since I like a clean/clear view of my car and the track

Apoc112
27-05-2015, 15:16
Personally I hope the Pit Engineer can give me the information about the "car health" on the radio since I like a clean/clear view of my car and the track

+1. Of those mechanisms, the Pit Engineer is my #1 preference for *all* information, using the motec and my gauges (when available) as a backup. Hope I never have to turn the HUD on again.

Umer Ahmad
27-05-2015, 15:21
Yeah, then you are like me. SMS has good programmers...lets see what they can do this year for us.

Tekkart
27-05-2015, 15:25
I don't want to have a overload screen while I'm on a fast lap but at this fast lap I want to see my telemetry. At the end of the year changes the X1 Os to win10 and there are coming new features with it. Maybe then its possible but 4 now is the best choice 4 me motec, pit engenier and a second screen. Just dreaming...

Machinist90
27-05-2015, 15:28
^haha, really nice day in Chicago. But seriously, I'm guiding you guys what is "easy" and what is "difficult". You need information agree, how you get that information we can discuss it in this easy/difficult paradigm.

^of the 5 mechanisms I listed, which one you would like to see improved FIRST? Personally I hope the Pit Engineer can give me the information about the "car health" on the radio since I like a clean/clear view of my car and the track

motec info on the screen where the telemetry is now and yes pit engineer with decent information would be the best thing possible if they can make that happen..I just think there should have been a way to get the ai data on the consoles and not just PC.

Bigsteviet
27-05-2015, 15:30
+1. Of those mechanisms, the Pit Engineer is my #1 preference for *all* information, using the motec and my gauges (when available) as a backup. Hope I never have to turn the HUD on again.

That's only a solution for career races, apparently. He won't help in invitationals...

Apoc112
27-05-2015, 17:42
That's only a solution for career races, apparently. He won't help in invitationals...

That's a SMS-imposed limitation, though. I'd like to see that change... who are these people inviting me to drive their car and then leaving me out there with no support, anyway?