PDA

View Full Version : Are they going to fix the Controller Settings?

EpicTropican
21-05-2015, 01:57
It's very hard to steer with a controller, it feels like they didn't take the time to work on the steering. It's twitchy and all these setups that I find online does help a bit. But like in other racing games like Forza the steering is smooth and you can control it very well and honestly, even GTA 5 steering is better than this. They need to fix this, and I know it's a simulator and I know it's better with a wheel and stuff but i want to use my controller it is a console im playing in. I seen people play as well with a controller than people do with a wheel.

Umer Ahmad
21-05-2015, 02:01
Dual shock 4 ?

EpicTropican
21-05-2015, 02:09
Yes Dual Shock 4, Ps4 Controller

madmax2069
21-05-2015, 02:24
Have you tied adjusting the controller settings, as that totally fixes issues you might be having, the default settings are mainly for a wheel.

Umer Ahmad
21-05-2015, 02:51

Start here
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?26478-Best-DS4-setup-so-far

trancend
21-05-2015, 03:01
I tried everyday for a week (Monday to Monday) with no such luck.

After trying so hard, I would load DriveClub and immediately feel the difference, Could hold lines, alter lines and keep straight without even thinking about it.

The tactic is to frustrate you into purchasing a wheel... DONT DO IT. I returned the game to gamestop for a full refund in store credit. I dont tolerate unfair business practices such as this (you said dude, GTA steers better, need we prove any further). That or this is a direct indication of the level of thought and programming skills that went into this game. Either way I wont play it.

apexatspeed
21-05-2015, 03:06
The controls on the DS4 are absolutely terrible. It is NSF Shift levels of bad. I haven't played a game with worse controls, but you can get used to it eventually if you find the right sensitivity. If you can't keep the car on the track that is user error.

Pink_650S
21-05-2015, 03:07
l returned the game to gamestop for a full refund in store credit. I dont tolerate unfair business practices such as this.

Yet you are still here...

Pink_650S
21-05-2015, 03:11
(you said dude, GTA steers better, need we prove any further). That or this is a direct indication of the level of thought and programming skills that went into this game..

I made it on the 12th place in a community event - with my Dualshock 4.
Think about it.

Pink_650S
21-05-2015, 03:15
It's very hard to steer with a controller, it feels like they didn't take the time to work on the steering. It's twitchy and all these setups that I find online does help a bit. But like in other racing games like Forza the steering is smooth and you can control it very well and honestly, even GTA 5 steering is better than this. They need to fix this, and I know it's a simulator and I know it's better with a wheel and stuff but i want to use my controller it is a console im playing in. I seen people play as well with a controller than people do with a wheel.

There are plenty of threads that provide decent controller settings.
Dont always blame the game first, when its clearly possible to go fast with a controller.
Keep practicing and trying out different settings, if that doesnt help, maybe you are lacking the skills, as harsh as it might sound.

akiba34
21-05-2015, 04:48
I don't think it is a control issue, but an overall game design issue. My friends that do real track racing, have issues with how the controls feel. From their prospective, this game is ages behind the handling feel in Gran Turismo. Don't get the wrong idea, its a good game, but definitely inferior to its competition. There is a whole lot of room for some major improvements.

trancend
21-05-2015, 05:16
There are plenty of threads that provide decent controller settings.
Dont always blame the game first, when its clearly possible to go fast with a controller.
Jeep practicing and trying out different settings, if that doesnt help, maybe you are lacking the skills, as harsh as it might sound.

Learn from me, no amount of practice will help. Each car type / race event requires an entirely different controller config, and "the best" possible one that could be painstakingly squeezed out is relatively better, but still an unacceptable twitch fest for sure.

It is nearly impossible to initiate a turn and hold the line with a single tilt of the stick, its always a twitchy, multi-tilt process. The only time this is possible are on nearly flat (low angle), high speed turns. So the most fundamental part of racing, breaking heavy and smoothly initiating a turn (biting in) is nearly impossible to do. Since driving lines around turns cannot be held in a smooth continuous manner, effective passing via an altered driving line is also out.

There is even a thread here for a legue that is for wheel racers only. Pad players are strictly banned. Hmm, wonder why that is? Oh maybe bc pad players are too fast with their super clean racing lines, not causing any collisions whatsoever.

As bluntly as I can put it, this is the only driving game that causes my hands and wrists to strain and ache so bad after a few hours of play on a pad that continuing any further would require pharmacuetical grade narcotics.

Rjrosco
21-05-2015, 05:50
There's nothing wrong at all with the DS4 controller, infact in works great. Not paying 650 bucks for a wheel just yet because the ds4 is that good. Before project cars T300rs was a$500, straight after realease in Australia bang $650 to $800, that's with no clutch and set of dodgy pedals. Thrustmaster gotta pay Sony off some how I guess.

trancend
21-05-2015, 05:58
There's nothing wrong at all with the DS4 controller, infact in works great. Not paying 650 bucks for a wheel just yet because the ds4 is that good. Before project cars T300rs was a$500, straight after realease in Australia bang $650 to $800, that's with no clutch and set of dodgy pedals. Thrustmaster gotta pay Sony off some how I guess.

Playing this game with a dpad is supposed to frustrate players into buying wheels.

I totally agree, I wouldnt spend a dime on anything thrustmaster, that sht is garbage. Too bad those sweet logitech wheels didnt work (well they do on a PC). Fanatec looks pretty sweet though.

superchargedk20
21-05-2015, 10:22

I also have zero issues with the pad on stock setting. Playing just fine with all assists turned off. People don't have the patience to learn how these cars handle and learn the tracks . If they can't figure it out right away then they blame something else instead of realizing their lack of skill.

jimmyb_84
21-05-2015, 10:40
I use the controller and with a bit of practice my times are getting good now. I had initial frustration too but not anymore beating my mates with wheels and have won a few online races too.

Did a new PB round Donington GP in McLaren GT3 and according to PC leaderboard I would of been 30th fastest time.

http://youtu.be/0d-tt2c-088

Jaroslav Turna
21-05-2015, 10:40
Playing this game with a dpad is supposed to frustrate players into buying wheels.

I totally agree, I wouldnt spend a dime on anything thrustmaster, that sht is garbage. Too bad those sweet logitech wheels didnt work (well they do on a PC). Fanatec looks pretty sweet though.

That is and absolute an utter bullshit. The game is supposed to be played with whatever you want. But your comparison to Driveclub simply says it all. The game is perfectly playable using pad (except for buggy XB1 version, which is already fixed and in process to get to players). Stop spreading lies. You may have not been able to drive using pad, but it simply is lack of your training (if you already "tried all possible setups").

Btw. if you really mean DPAD (instead of controller), than sorry - you are right .. the game is not supposed to be played using DPAD ... it is supposed to be played using analogue sticks and triggers.

KK78
21-05-2015, 11:18
That is and absolute an utter bullshit. The game is supposed to be played with whatever you want. But your comparison to Driveclub simply says it all. The game is perfectly playable using pad (except for buggy XB1 version, which is already fixed and in process to get to players). Stop spreading lies. You may have not been able to drive using pad, but it simply is lack of your training (if you already "tried all possible setups").

Btw. if you really mean DPAD (instead of controller), than sorry - you are right .. the game is not supposed to be played using DPAD ... it is supposed to be played using analogue sticks and triggers.

I agree, making the DS4 supposedly crap so people buy wheels is absolutely ridiculous, Sony are not idiots, the net result of tactics like that would be lost future sales of the game which would dwarf some extra wheels been bought. Comparing it to Driveclub is also pointless, Driveclub is engineered as a totally different driving game and while I scoff at idiots who somehow equate it to been a novice racer (try matching or getting remotely near the top times in the game and then tell me how easy it is) it is a more stable driving mechanic because Evolution studios opted for a break-neck, fast paced and socially competitive driving experience over the more realistic and tweakable sim experience offered by Project Cars.

Nelly D Racer
21-05-2015, 11:33
The original poster said he was using the Dual Shock 4 controller on the PC not on a PS4.

Although the controller does work fine on PC it does take a bit of time to find a perfect setup. While testing we tried literally hundreds of different settings and tweaks to get a perfect balance.

Must admit the DS4 controller does have one advantage over the 360 and X1 pads in that you can run zero on all the dead zones which gives it a much larger axis.

trancend
21-05-2015, 11:53
I also have zero issues with the pad on stock setting. Playing just fine with all assists turned off. People don't have the patience to learn how these cars handle and learn the tracks . If they can't figure it out right away then they blame something else instead of realizing their lack of skill.

I put in 7 days, tweaking and testing and grinding qualifying for a top 4 on the hardest (60-90) difficulty setting I could handle.

It would.leave my hands cramped and wrists burning with strain. Dont tell me a god damn thing about not trying, I didnt buy this game looking for a casual experience, it is a sim there after all chachi.

trancend
21-05-2015, 11:59
The original poster said he was using the Dual Shock 4 controller on the PC not on a PS4.

Although the controller does work fine on PC it does take a bit of time to find a perfect setup. While testing we tried literally hundreds of different settings and tweaks to get a perfect balance.

Must admit the DS4 controller does have one advantage over the 360 and X1 pads in that you can run zero on all the dead zones which gives it a much larger axis.

Yeah but a "decent" setup that works with one car doesnt usually translate to another, so its back to tweaking before each and every race.

No matter how much I tweaked though Id always be left twitching my car around the track like a monkey on crk. So much so I could see it in the replay.

Next time u play with your perfect balance, see how consistently you can hold a line around a bend without tapping, or if you can heavy brake turn in (bite in) and hold your line with twitching it out.

SpaceMachine
21-05-2015, 12:04
Project Cars is a simulation. It requires practice and a degree of finesse. It took me many hours to find a configuration that worked well, but I am more than happy with my current setup - it works well for all cars.

Top 10 time at Zolder with DUALSHOCK4 and NO ASSISTS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWwfRQB8eS0

Nelly D Racer
21-05-2015, 12:19
Yeah but a "decent" setup that works with one car doesnt usually translate to another, so its back to tweaking before each and every race.

No matter how much I tweaked though Id always be left twitching my car around the track like a monkey on crk. So much so I could see it in the replay.

Next time u play with your perfect balance, see how consistently you can hold a line around a bend without tapping, or if you can heavy brake turn in (bite in) and hold your line with twitching it out.

I use an Xbox 1 controller on PC which suits my style better.
On PS4 I stick to default setting 3 for most of the quicker cars and I only really tweak it for the Gokarts.
On the Xbox 1 I'm just staying away from the career mode and the Gokarts until the patch is out. But I use a workaround setup which works really well with the faster cars.

I completely agree that there isn't one configuration that works for everything or everyone.

JayChristmas
21-05-2015, 14:32
Put all sensitives to zero and all deadzones to 5! And the Filter for Controller to 50! I hope that helps!
There is also a different between a formula car, lmp and a old streetcar without downforce!
Dont give you, i think drive club was no realistic simulation in my mind! It's a bit different

Massy72
21-05-2015, 14:55
Project Cars is a simulation. It requires practice and a degree of finesse. It took me many hours to find a configuration that worked well, but I am more than happy with my current setup - it works well for all cars.

Top 10 time at Zolder with DUALSHOCK4 and NO ASSISTS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWwfRQB8eS0

And Spacemachine, can you tell us your setup?

Grt Massy.

joridiculous
21-05-2015, 15:45

No he didnt. DS4 -> PS4.

SpaceMachine
21-05-2015, 16:03
And Spacemachine, can you tell us your setup?

Sure. Hope it helps!

Controller Input Mode - 2
Steering Deadzone - 5
Steering Sensitivity - 20
Throttle Deadzone - 5
Throttle Sensitivity - 0
Brake Deadzone - 5
Brake Sensitivity - 0
Speed Sensitivity - 65
Controller Filtering Sensitivity - 5
Advanced - On
Soft Steering Dampening - On
Opposite Lock Help - Off

superchargedk20
21-05-2015, 16:50
I put in 7 days, tweaking and testing and grinding qualifying for a top 4 on the hardest (60-90) difficulty setting I could handle.

It would.leave my hands cramped and wrists burning with strain. Dont tell me a god damn thing about not trying, I didnt buy this game looking for a casual experience, it is a sim there after all chachi.

And like i said people don't have patience to learn the car and tracks. Ur to busy getting frustrated and blaming car settings so all ur practice consists of is crashing getting frustrated blaming the controls then tweaking something hoping that's Gona fix ur problem and then doing this over and over. Clearly u missed my entire point of LEARNING THE CARS AND TRACKS
So then some how I must be a god of racing since some how I can handle a ds4 and u can't ..... or ur just terrible..... put more practice in and stop complaining. ....... chachi

Jenicor
21-05-2015, 19:47
I think it just take a bit of practice and learning the tracks only put about four hours into the game so far and have seen a drastic improvement in my driving already. On ps4 with ds4.

Nelly D Racer
21-05-2015, 20:04
No he didnt. DS4 -> PS4.

On his profile it says the platform he's playing on is PC. DS 4 pads can be used on PC.

ROTTEN
21-05-2015, 20:35
The controller settings are perfect for me. I've been using the formula A car for a week now with the DS4 and I couldn't be happier. Took me a while to get my settings just right and a lot of practice, but it paid off. I love how the controller feels ...... it just feels real. I was actually going to invest in a wheel, but decided to hold off because I'm enjoying the controller that much. To each their own I guess, but I couldn't be happier with the controller settings.

marcovhv
21-05-2015, 20:39

I felt like this at first but then I tinkered with the settings and this week I finished 4th place overall in a Formula Rookie season with every setting at the most realistic possible and all assists off and AI at 70%. All that after 5 hours of total playing time.
This game takes a bit of getting used to but once you do it's awesome.

I'm a Forza veteran and at first I felt this game was impossible to drive. It's not. Not at all. I have ran tons of top 1-5% times in Forza 5 and I expect to be doing the same in pCars on PS4 soon (hope they put in a fix soon that makes my lap times actually appear on the leaderboards!).

Keep practicing.

jonmixwell
21-05-2015, 23:42
SMOOTHEST CONTROLS PS4 - Change only these:
MODE 2 - SET FIRST
Steering Deadzone - 0
Steering Sensitivity - 0
Speed Sensitivity - 100
Controller Filtering Sensitivity - 80
Advanced - On
Visual Wheel Filtering - On
Opposite Lock Help - On

This is for smoothest possible driving, Make sure tires are warm and if desired slowly increase steering sensitivity 1 click at a time to make car more snappy.

jonmixwell
22-05-2015, 00:07
BUG Visual Wheel Filtering and Opposite Lock Help reset to Off when closing and reopening game.

Sowhat
22-05-2015, 17:01
Sure. Hope it helps!
Opposite Lock Help - Off

Thank you for this setup, it works great and already saved 5s while testing it. It is ridiculous, that users have to provide a proper setting instead of the dev team.

I can't understand the other complaints. "Take some time and get used to the controls" . I know it's hard to understand but not all of us have so much time left to learn how to properly drive with unrealistic controls. I am happy if I can find 1h in the evening to race. In this time, I just want to race with a functioning setup. And I paid a lot of money for "the most realistic racing sim ever". Seriously it feels more like NfS Shift 3 than a racing sim...
Compared to other games it feels grate but it is not the state of the art sim it claims to be. And it feels a lot like nfs shift.

spirit75752000
22-05-2015, 21:58
I've found using a DS4 controller on PS4 start off with Preset 3 then just reduce STEERING SENSITIVITY to 40 and STEERING DEADZONE to 10. this feels much more familiar to me and seems to work on all cars. less twitchy on the fast straights but you can still hammer around the slow corners

Jenicor
22-05-2015, 22:18
Must say very nice all round for every class of car. When will people stop complaining.

Pink_650S
22-05-2015, 22:27
Must say very nice all round for every class of car. When will people stop complaining.

As long as there are douchebags, probably never.

RareWhiteApe
23-05-2015, 00:54
I don't mind the controls. I think 1/3 of it is being patient, 1/3 is taking time to build skills, and the final 1/3 is just plain old getting used to it.

Now that I've been playing this a lot over the last few weeks, I'm quite used to it now, and can't play GT6 any more! This morning I tried the GT Academy Rnd 3 in the LMP2 at Spa.

Big old NOPE.

Slow, doughy controls, heavy steering, no feel.

I should start a thread on the Gran Turismo forum and complain about it.