PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Headsets....

GraySmithMusic
21-05-2015, 02:30
With my overall aim to get online and have some good quality racing, I'll be needing a decent headset to communicate efficiently...

I'd be interested to know what people are using. What's good? What's not? Pros/Cons of the choices out there.

Can anyone recommend the best budget, medium range, and high-end headsets?

What's your favourite? And why??

MakoShark222
21-05-2015, 02:32
A50's enough said! :D

j.lai
21-05-2015, 02:40
http://en-us.sennheiser.com/gaming-headset-stereo-pc-330

Sennheiser PC300 - medium budget headset

I bought this on sale last Black Friday for PC gaming and PS4 (had to buy a combo adapter for the PS4). I found them to be pretty comfortable but there are many reviews saying that they aren't because of the smaller cup size. Has additional volume control and a hard mute feature. The feature I like the most about this headset is the swivel hinge that allows you to flip up one of the cups if you're in a group.

Deadzone
21-05-2015, 02:41
I use In-ears under my helmet, helps with the immersion factor.:p

Mr.Smoke
21-05-2015, 03:55
SONY Pulse stereo headset.

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd435/MrSmoke420/SpaucHJck4cWnGoXl0tTcIf4HOvKfDEXp-Ky98BCPhoMouYvA_brQpbFr3VSyHa4bCItvajHUbQKuvmj8BpHfLyiGw1_VEjuwlFclvL0hDnKs-mWVigTsNtAP2o4aPpCVZNqM8j9Wnth5DWPw510-h368-nc.jpeg (http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/MrSmoke420/media/SpaucHJck4cWnGoXl0tTcIf4HOvKfDEXp-Ky98BCPhoMouYvA_brQpbFr3VSyHa4bCItvajHUbQKuvmj8BpHfLyiGw1_VEjuwlFclvL0hDnKs-mWVigTsNtAP2o4aPpCVZNqM8j9Wnth5DWPw510-h368-nc.jpeg.html)

ChrisK
21-05-2015, 04:20
Had the TB px4's, liked the set but the wire needed for chat meant that I had to get rid of them when I started using a wheel. I then bought the TB elite 800's. Loved the wireless charging and built in mic. But unwearable for long periods due to the weight and wayyyyy too heavy clamp on your head. I was having buyers remorse until they blew up a few days later which enabled me to return them and swap them over for a50's which are far more comfortable.

IMHO, the TB's are better in every other way, sound quality of the TB was quite a bit better as was battery life, but if you can't wear them for longer than an hour without a headache it's a showstopper.

TheLethalDose
21-05-2015, 04:24
Just for communication I'd get a cheap bluetooth headset if you are already sorted for sound.

Otherwise Astro's are quite good. I used to have the A40 and was quite impressed seing as Im picky when it comes to sound.

akiba34
21-05-2015, 04:35
I wouldn't even bother using a headset for this game. This is the type of game that works better having a typing system, rather than a VOIP system. I keep my headset plugged in and on the ground, so I can't hear the other players, too distracting. Besides, with people like this online, nothing but insults are going to be thrown around 203785

madmax2069
21-05-2015, 04:40
The only thing you need is quality brand of earbuds or headset that has a in line Mic with the 3.5mm jack and plug it into the bottom of the PS4 controller.

If you hold the PS button and select adjust sound and devices go to output to headphone and change it to all audio (game sound and voice chat will play through them)

Wootball
21-05-2015, 05:38
Any advice on headsets for someone with a wheel? Specifically looking for a wireless set because the DS4 won't be on.

madmax2069
21-05-2015, 05:49
Any advice on headsets for someone with a wheel? Specifically looking for a wireless set because the DS4 won't be on.

What I would do is get a generic USB charger to plug the DS4 into so that It can be close to you, and just plug any 3.5mm jacked headset with Mic into the DS4.

You dont need a stupid expensive headset.

-Brick_Top-
21-05-2015, 05:57
Or afterglow communicator it's a Bluetooth phone style headset ps4 compatible and coming soon. Available for pre order in game for 29.99 don't know if they are any good but I can't wait to ditch the wire to the pad method. They are already out in the states so shouldn't be too long now

BigDipper
21-05-2015, 06:48
I have the astro A50'so and I think their great.
Fit really well (big head) sometimes I wear them 4/5 hours
at a time. Sound is superb. Battery time about 5 hours but
I can charge it during gaming.
Only thing I miss is Bluetooth connectivity, to connect too my phone so I can make a call during gaming.
My TB px5 had that and I loved It.

Wootball
21-05-2015, 07:07
What I would do is get a generic USB charger to plug the DS4 into so that It can be close to you, and just plug any 3.5mm jacked headset with Mic into the DS4.

You dont need a stupid expensive headset.

I always find that my menu control stops working if I have both the DS4 and the wheel connected.

ChrisK
21-05-2015, 08:03
Plugging a chat cable into the ds4 while using wheel is not a good alternative at all. There are all sorts of connectivity issues with the ps4 switching to DS every now and then aswell as sound setting accesability getting all crazy. I tried it with the px4 and it was endlessly frustrating.

MrStef85
21-05-2015, 08:10
https://www.google.nl/search?q=px22&biw=1366&bih=643&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=1JJdVfP3CYGnUJW7gOAF&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Wootball
21-05-2015, 08:31
https://www.google.nl/search?q=px22&biw=1366&bih=643&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=1JJdVfP3CYGnUJW7gOAF&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Wired, no thanks.

madmax2069
21-05-2015, 08:52
Turtle beach headsets are just overpriced dollar general specials. The wired ones always go bad in the exact same place (the wire leading out of the sound box to the headset always develops a short due to the cheap wire they use), the wireless ones always seems to have issues with sound quality, and eventually the transceiver box burns out.

I will never buy anything turtle beach again.

Beatminister
21-05-2015, 09:13
I use the Sony Wireless Headset for PS4, its not bad and affordable, about 90 Euro. It doesn`t have a mic arm, has good sound, and is fully supported by the PS4, including downloadable sound scenarios (free) via a app on PSN. You can also use it with a cable on any headset ports on laptops, phones ect. A battery charge lasts about 6 hours.

Eyerex
21-05-2015, 09:52
I use my Sennheiser headphones with a Modmic 4 which works really well but just a pain having so many wires

MrStef85
21-05-2015, 10:07
Turtle beach headsets are just overpriced dollar general specials. The wired ones always go bad in the exact same place (the wire leading out of the sound box to the headset always develops a short due to the cheap wire they use), the wireless ones always seems to have issues with sound quality, and eventually the transceiver box burns out.

My one works perfect.

MrStef85
21-05-2015, 10:07
It was only 60 euro's.

ChrisK
21-05-2015, 13:48

Issues much ? lol

You just spent half the thread talking about using a wired set to plug into the ds4 and now you say this is the worst thing ever cos they always fail there !? My px4 lasted just fine since I originally bought the ps4 a longggg way back.

Doesn't sound like you've had a lot of personal experience with headsets to me.

FlyinJake
21-05-2015, 14:00
I wouldn't even bother using a headset for this game. This is the type of game that works better having a typing system, rather than a VOIP system. I keep my headset plugged in and on the ground, so I can't hear the other players, too distracting. Besides, with people like this online, nothing but insults are going to be thrown around 203785

You know, you can mute people in-game when at the Lobby and still enjoy the full game sounds without people insulting you.

Equation
21-05-2015, 14:00
Sony PlayStation Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0

Cheap, pretty ergonomic and good sound quality. Special plus points that no wires!

FlyinJake
21-05-2015, 14:06

I read reviews of the Turtle Beach Elite 800 saying that sound quality is as good as it gets, even the wireless since it can switch to a frequency not used by normal household equipment for a worry-free sound experience. It even comes with a noise cancellation technology for total immersion into the game and a blue-tooth connection for mobilephone, so you can handle incomming calls while playing. I just bought it because of the huge functionality range and my first try will be tonights GT6 weekly race for two hours. I will let you know how they feel on the head for that long.

FlyinJake
21-05-2015, 14:09
I use the Sony Wireless Headset for PS4, its not bad and affordable, about 90 Euro. It doesn`t have a mic arm, has good sound, and is fully supported by the PS4, including downloadable sound scenarios (free) via a app on PSN. You can also use it with a cable on any headset ports on laptops, phones ect. A battery charge lasts about 6 hours.

I agree, I have two of these sets and they work perfectly. But maybe a little short on battery capacity.
I just bought the TB Elite 800 which should provide around 10 hours of battery.
All sorts of sound scenarios can be downloaded and fine tuned using a PC to the TB Elite 800 as well.

KID--A
21-05-2015, 14:21
If you are looking for something cheap this is what I use http://www.trittonaudio.com/prod/kaiken_ps4.asp

It's good quality for the price and I can hear chat well and other can hear me perfectly. This headset is for chat only though. My game audio still comes through the speakers. I can't have hadphones on because I have kids and I need to hear if they start crying and whatnot.

@Wootball: I played last night with a Fanatec GT2 wheel and my headset wouldn't plug into my wheel. So I just turned on my DS4 and plugged the headset into that and it worked like a charm.

Titzon Toast
21-05-2015, 14:24

I have a set of these aswell, they're fantastic for the price.

joking_aura
21-05-2015, 16:15
I use the Sony gold headphones. I think the sound great for the money. They are wireless and are comfortable enough to where for over an hour. The mic is very clear I have been told. Can't beat it for $99.

MakoShark222
21-05-2015, 16:24
P.S. I paid $100 less for my Astro A50's from Amazon. They have Refurbished sets for $199. They were a brand new set in a refurbished box and showed no wear or scratch marks anywhere. One of the best purchase's I've made.

fezzz69
21-05-2015, 16:44
buy sonys new headset wireless can not go wrong

HarryHoodlum
21-05-2015, 16:47
buy sonys new headset wireless can not go wrong

I love my PS Gold, but last night the guys I was racing with were hearing weird noises and my voice was distorted. Not sure if that's a bug in the game, interference with my wheel, or something else, but it was annoying them for sure. Love the sound quality, battery life and customization options on the Golds.

Mr.Smoke
21-05-2015, 17:19
I love my PS Gold, but last night the guys I was racing with were hearing weird noises and my voice was distorted. Not sure if that's a bug in the game, interference with my wheel, or something else, but it was annoying them for sure. Love the sound quality, battery life and customization options on the Golds.

Yeah there was certainly some strange stuff happening with your mic. It was more distracting then annoying lol.

My old SONY stereo headset has been bulletproof thus far. Ive put it through some harsh treatment & it has stood up well. Loud & clear sound. Doesnt have the customization like the gold headset, but is wireless with good battery life. Does what i need it to. Best $70 ive spent on gaming accessories.

Beardybrave
21-05-2015, 23:27
I love my Sony wireless 2.0s ( which incidentally can be used on X1 too with MS headset adapter). Cracking sound off them, never had any issues with voice and you can adjust the balance of game volume to chat volume with a switch on the left ear cup, which is a bloomin godsend.

Edit: I do have a set of Astro A40s, but I regret buying them. The sound was good, but the surround sound was a faff to set up, and I find the earcups uncomfortable, and I have small ears.

JessicaWalter
21-05-2015, 23:38
i use the sony pulse elite and i love them.

witmonster
22-05-2015, 01:39
Yep, have to agree, I have gen 2 ps4 Astro a50 and the sound and chat clarity is unreal, however, its expensive, so depending on what you want to spend, if money is no object then you could end up with a monster of a headset, but there's some pretty decent less expensive ones too

GraySmithMusic
31-05-2015, 22:57
I just want to bring this up again to see if anyone new, or anyone else has anything to add.

Still can't decide on a headset.

I've watched some reviews on YouTube of the suggestions made; anyone with the Sony Golds have issues with being told their mic's not brilliant? I've seen a few people say it's not the best.

How important is surround sound in a racing game?

I don't think I"m bothered if it's not wireless as long as the lead is long enough.

ScorpionR3D
01-06-2015, 08:12
I'm staying with my TB PX4, when playing single player it is completely wireless. When doing multiplayer I have my DS4 connected with the chatcable to my headset for chat. I don't touch the controller. It just sit next to me. Doesn't bother me. I just love the PX4, sound is good, chat is good. With one touch of a button to mute the mic and 2 different volumewheels to adjust both gameaudio and chataudio. So, when ending up in a lobby with just kids who like to shout all kinds of diseases to another, just lower the chatvolume and the only thing you hear is your own roaring engine!

Goruk
01-06-2015, 11:23
Had a good deal on one of these, amazing headsets.
Steelseries H wireless