PDA

View Full Version : Installed game on external drive; instant improvement.

WhiteNinja636
21-05-2015, 06:37
I picked up an external drive today and moved the game file over to it.
There was an instant improvement in game play. The menus loaded faster and after one race at least i can say i didnt experience the shuddering and drop in frame rates i was experiencing last night, and because im not having to enter some corners slow and cautiously to keep control of the car when performance drops im having less issues with the AI ramming and bumping me off track.

bobleren
21-05-2015, 06:53
Very nice to hear!

Can I ask you what external drive you're particular using? I'm really not into all these details and actually I don't even know how I can make the game install on an external drive, but it would be nice to try! :)

OrenIshii BE
21-05-2015, 06:55
I had the game installed to an external from day one (may 7th) so i'm not sure about the performance difference
I do know i still have stuttering going on, very noticable in Kart seasons, slowed down framerate mostly through corners, and sped up going out corners.

LextersQuest
21-05-2015, 07:14
Like with most problem this game has:( Some people have it and others not.

External drive doesnt seem to work for evrybody. So to go out and buy one to see if were lucky is not the answer.

Ofcorse cool that you can play without issues and hope you have a lot off fun.

Mark Bevan
21-05-2015, 07:17
You might want to report your results here http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?24922-Please-read-Stuttering-stall-on-XB1

LADY GEMMA JANE
21-05-2015, 07:29
Yes I'm running on an 4tb seagate, game is fine

OrenIshii BE
21-05-2015, 07:38
I use a WD Elements Portable 2 TB USB3.0

Del Zotto x82x
21-05-2015, 07:43
If you haven't already.. Go into "System Settings and change your Xbox from 1080p to 720.. Remember this game does not support 1080p, but it may or may not work for you but It worked for me as well as a bunch of my friends

OrenIshii BE
21-05-2015, 07:47
If you haven't already.. Go into "System Settings and change your Xbox from 1080p to 720.. Remember this game does not support 1080p, but it may or may not work for you but It worked for me as well as a bunch of my friends

hmmmm, upscaling issue perhaps?
worth a try ;-)

WhiteNinja636
21-05-2015, 07:52
I brought a toshiba 750GB 3.0
Xbox one requires usb 3.0 and at least 256GB of space.

LextersQuest
21-05-2015, 08:53

Havnt tried that. Good tip thanks. Will try this out. Always worth a try untill fix comes out. Fingers crossed!

Del Zotto x82x
21-05-2015, 08:53
lemme know if it worked for you

WhiteNinja636
21-05-2015, 10:41
I just tried that, no noticeable difference.

nissan4ever
21-05-2015, 12:23
I just switched my console to 720p. I did have an improvement. I do have the game installed on a 4TB 7200 rpm hdd. I did test at Spa in LMP1. My best on TT is 2:06.1** When console was set to 1080p (that's by myself in time trial with no AI). I ran against 10 AI this morning, ran a pretty decent lap & got a 2:05.5**. I said decent. If I would have really hit my marks I would have got at least a 2:04.***. That's a jump.

I did a race against a full grid & game was suffering from fps drop & my lap times dropped by 10 seconds. So I did see an improvement with lower AI on grid. The improvement would be even better in time trial (I'm by myself). The fps drop kills lap times, because the clock is running at normal speed, but action on screen isn't which leads to slower lap times even though you hitting your marks.

Hope this first patch 6-9% performance increase really helps out. Be interesting to see how much more performance increase for the 2nd, 3rd, etc future patches does.

Ixoye56
21-05-2015, 12:29
Works fine on my External Seagate Desktop 2Tb 7200rpm Usb 3

Im Sorry
21-05-2015, 12:30

I tried this.Did nothing!

Chris Sercombe
21-05-2015, 12:37
But you should not have to do this for the game to work better.

Ixoye56
21-05-2015, 12:41

Jag would be surprised if it did

PaulxB
21-05-2015, 12:51
I have noticed the frame rate drops increase the longer I have been playing. The game seems to run much smoother for the first hour or so and then noticeably drops even if I'm still playing in exactly the same conditions as I had been when I first started.
This is off topic but I have also noticed that the sound glitches and clips on Forza 5 whenever I have been playing for a couple of hours or more and it never happens when I first start playing.
Maybe the best idea is to stop and reboot after every hour or so of play time.

LextersQuest
21-05-2015, 12:57
lemme know if it worked for you

Ok YES i just tried that. Put the setting to 720.
I did a knew carreer GT3 on 100% sessionlenght and run for 3hour 30min straight.
I had have no freeze or stutter. Ok main race was ruinned because of pitstop not giving me any fuel but thats beside the point.

So so far for me this helped enormously. Thanks a lot for charing this tip!!!

Edit: did a restart of mainrace due to that pitfault, and to bad in lap 6 it froze.

skijumptoes
21-05-2015, 14:15
Can't see how the display setting will help, the game will still render to the native resolution set in the game engine, changing your output is purely outside of that and dealt with in hardware by the graphics architecture to scale to the chosen resolution. I'd be amazed if that was causing frame rate drops... In fact, it's nigh on impossible for that to be the case, as it would be reported on all games.

If it truly was rendering at different resolutions then the game would look far cramped as fixed assets would appear to be bigger in 720p than 1080p - You sure you people are not just experiencing a case of placebo magic?! :)

Bigsteviet
21-05-2015, 14:16
If it truly was rendering at different resolutions then the game would look far cramped as fixed assets would appear to be bigger in 720p than 1080p - You sure you people are not just experiencing a case of placebo magic?! :)

Pardon my ignorance, but does that mean the HUD would be bigger/clearer? I might be in my 40s, but the info's mighty hard to read from the sofa...

skijumptoes
21-05-2015, 14:19
Yes it would mean that if they didn't scale the font and fixed assets to match, i.e. a 20 pixel font, is just that - 20 pixels tall. (One line of text would be 2.8% of the screen height in 720p, 1.8% of the screen height for 1080p - quite a difference).

If you ran that game in true 720p you'd be able to read the lap session times in the top right hand corner, and frame rate would be pretty slick i imagine - so i feel your pain mate!! :)

But, the developers can only optimise to one setting, which is why xbox functions in this manner, set it to 720p, and it still renders in 950p or whatever odd resolution they had to do to get this running on release.

In all honesty, if they went to 720p not many of us would notice the difference anyway, certainly not in a negative aspect on general image quality, as it's having to be up/downscaled as it currently doesn't sit in anyone's native resolution. :)

Wouldn't it be great if they put a vote up on here and asked who would prefer 950p with choppy frame rates, or 720p smooth - i know i'd go for the smooth playable option every time!! Don't care about competing with the PS4, the xbone's doing far more besides... Heck, i've even done lap times with mtv snapped on the side. :)

Bigsteviet
21-05-2015, 14:25
So it 'would' work, but it 'won't' work? Ugh!

And yep, I'd take smooth every time...

skijumptoes
21-05-2015, 14:29
Well, i don't know how hard it would be for sms to put it in as an advanced option to render native at 720p - but have a disclaimer on it.(?!) They have a load of render options, the like of which i've never seen in a console game before. So maybe it's a possibility if we shout for it, i don't know.

But i sure as hell know one thing, and that's whatever you've got your display output set to, games do not tailer themselves around that setting - they just do their own thing.

Del Zotto x82x
21-05-2015, 19:04

Im Sorry

Del Zotto x82x
21-05-2015, 19:12
I am NO EXPERT! This is what I was told to try and it worked and still works.. Placebo or not, the damn thing works great since and I was just sharing my experience.. I also stated it may or may not work for you..

skijumptoes
21-05-2015, 21:03
I remember reading an article where sms had to make use of an additional core in the xbone's cpu to get the game out and running as it is, normally it's used for system functions... I believe audio related or something.

So, it could be possible if by taking that extra core it's caused problems elsewhere, one of those being the upscaler... Who knows, presumed it ran within hardware.

Tried myself, and no difference personally but watching this thread with interest.

BionicBacon
22-05-2015, 08:18
Very nice to hear!

Can I ask you what external drive you're particular using? I'm really not into all these details and actually I don't even know how I can make the game install on an external drive, but it would be nice to try! :)

I did a bunch of research, basically just finding out which drives had 7200rpm discs. I'm not sure what the point is of all these HDD manufacturers putting out USB 3.0 drives with 5400 rpm discs - seems kind of counterproductive. Anyway, that's another forum... I narrowed it down to a couple, but the Seagate Backup Plus Slim won out. Bus powered 2 TB drive for $100 that runs like a top. Load times are super quick, and no lag issues. And they take up very little space. You can also get a 1TB for $80.