PDA

View Full Version : Why is FFB brilliant in some cars and a disaster in others?

dyr_gl
21-05-2015, 19:05
It really grinds my gears. I jump in a GT3, and the wheel behaves brilliantly: I can start tweaking the car straight on. But then I jump in a Formula A and I have to spend 40 minutes moving FFB sliders so the wheel starts behaving sort of OKish and allows me to go where I want without even pushing at all.

Mahjik
21-05-2015, 19:32
It's because the forces are based on the steering rack/geometry. Given that, each car will have differences; some greater than others depending on how different the car is....

dyr_gl
21-05-2015, 20:14
I don´t mean "different", that is to be expected. I mean good and bad.

Formula A does nonsense. In the very center of the steering there are 4 degrees to each side where autocenter is MASSIVELY strong and you can barely turn in the straights. If you turn to the limit of that zone and then release the hands of the wheel, the autocenter is strong enough to start a chain reaction that starts shaking massively countering itself, getting a bit further each time and ending up in a spin.

Surely if you release the hands of a F1 wheel the car just goes straight wide, it won´t start going from side to side with bigger angle each time.

Mahjik
21-05-2015, 21:29
Surely if you release the hands of a F1 wheel the car just goes straight wide, it won´t start going from side to side with bigger angle each time.

Are you using any tweak files?

ibby
21-05-2015, 21:50
I don´t mean "different", that is to be expected. I mean good and bad.

Formula A does nonsense. In the very center of the steering there are 4 degrees to each side where autocenter is MASSIVELY strong and you can barely turn in the straights. If you turn to the limit of that zone and then release the hands of the wheel, the autocenter is strong enough to start a chain reaction that starts shaking massively countering itself, getting a bit further each time and ending up in a spin.

Turn down Fy. And the difference between fast driving and slow driving will be less massive.
Also lower Fx because braking forces are huge on these cars.

Oscillation ( the back and forth in the middle ) is more a problem when trying to get strong forces with lowend wheels.
It's not because of the game output is wrong but our toywheels don't work like the IRL forces and instead try to fake them. ;)

Also don't forget they change these forces IRL too with power steering.
Basically we have a non power steering Formula 1 car where you can set the forces coming through the wheel by yourself.
Remember when Kimi Räikkönen was complaining about the Force Feedback in his Lotus ? ;)