PDA

View Full Version : [NOW CORRECTED] Formula rookie wet tires.

cerbrus2
21-05-2015, 22:28
Has anyone else noticed the formula rookie wet tires seem to have massive amounts of grip over the slicks. I was at least a second faster on Donnington with wet tire than I was with dry. They just to have silly amounts of grip.

JDFSSS
21-05-2015, 22:41
This is a known issue. Certainly not very sim like, hopefully it gets fixed quickly, along with all the other issues related to weather/tires.

Doug914
21-05-2015, 23:19
This is a known issue. Certainly not very sim like, hopefully it gets fixed quickly, along with all the other issues related to weather/tires.

It will guys. It job one for me right now. Fixing any rain discrepencies, and dialing wear in a bit better for the player and AI. It's a bit tediuos because i want to go through every car. The other major code related AI rain issues are already pretty much fixed, but this will take a bit longer.

qbasiz
21-05-2015, 23:34
:applouse::encouragement:

cerbrus2
22-05-2015, 00:33
Great to know it's already being looked at.

Doug914
22-05-2015, 13:26
Actually I did look at this specificly this morning. It works pretty much exactly right. Has good grip the first lap, then gradually overheats till its useless after 2-3 laps. So nothing to see here. Most pure race based rain tires will have more grip in the dry than a slick for short amount of time till the heat kills them. Thats what makes them so good in the rain. The water keeps the temp under control.

LADY GEMMA JANE
22-05-2015, 13:29
Ohh it is a known issue, I thought my driving was improving

cerbrus2
27-05-2015, 14:53
Actually I did look at this specificly this morning. It works pretty much exactly right. Has good grip the first lap, then gradually overheats till its useless after 2-3 laps. So nothing to see here. Most pure race based rain tires will have more grip in the dry than a slick for short amount of time till the heat kills them. Thats what makes them so good in the rain. The water keeps the temp under control.

so just to know, is there tyre wear in Solo free practice mode. Just did 7 laps and only got faster using the wet tyre's after 7 laps on wet tires on a hot summers day, they should of been like driving on marshmallows

Doug914
27-05-2015, 16:50
Yes they should have been. What track and what temps were you seing after a couple of laps? Although i did tweak it to be more heat sensitive for this next patch.

cerbrus2
27-05-2015, 17:13
Uploaded the telemetry data, After 7 laps im still able to lap fast and push the car and tire wear is still in the green.

myheadhurts
27-05-2015, 17:15

Hang on, is that right? Surely wet tyres are so good in the rain because they are treaded - any loss due to the reduced contact patch is more than offset by the benefits of water displacement.

I've never heard it said that wets are actually quicker than slicks, even for a single lap. If that were true why wouldn't people be running wets in quali?

AngelBrow
27-05-2015, 18:13

I remember a race with M. Schumacher, when used inters during drying condition and just kept going on them when there was a dry line. He was quicker than the other guys on slicks. But eventually there was nothing left :)

Keep up the great work.
Great hearing from you guys (working on the game) on this forum.
So much respect to the team.

ibby
27-05-2015, 18:13
Hang on, is that right? Surely wet tyres are so good in the rain because they are treaded - any loss due to the reduced contact patch is more than offset by the benefits of water displacement.

I've never heard it said that wets are actually quicker than slicks, even for a single lap. If that were true why wouldn't people be running wets in quali?

They are also so good in the rain because they heat correctly for the conditions. Not just because they're treaded.
And they heat correctly in the rain due to a very soft compound which make them faster again.

Doug914
27-05-2015, 18:33
I remember a race with M. Schumacher, when used inters during drying condition and just kept going on them when there was a dry line. He was quicker than the other guys on slicks. But eventually there was nothing left :)

Keep up the great work.
Great hearing from you guys (working on the game) on this forum.
So much respect to the team.

If you've ever trully used real racing rain tires on race car (which I have many times), you can't believe how good they are. It's rediculous almost. And to touch them they are so soft and sticky to the touch. Like marshmellows :) The game represents them pretty well. People don't use them in Qual becuase most of the time they chunk before the second flying lap was complete. Plus it's illegal anyways for saftey reasons. We probably shouldn't allow it in the game for people trying to get a better leaderboard time, But what the heck. More important things to do. The treads are only to keep the tires from aquaplaining.

So the reduced contact patch from the treads is made up for with the stickiness of the rubber agianst the wet surface. More or less...

jimmyb_84
27-05-2015, 18:41

Another thing to remember, a rain tyre is normally a very soft compound of tire, the reason why you have amazing grip until they overheat and destroy themselves.

cerbrus2
29-05-2015, 01:32
Anymore info on this, I know you marked the thread as correct but clearly it's not.

Mahjik
29-05-2015, 02:20
Anymore info on this, I know you marked the thread as correct but clearly it's not.

The grip level is correct. What's not correct is the wear and heating (i.e. you shouldn't be able to do a full race in the dry on wet tires).

cerbrus2
29-05-2015, 09:06
The grip level is correct. What's not correct is the wear and heating (i.e. you shouldn't be able to do a full race in the dry on wet tires).

Well the grip level after 3 laps (apparently that's all the testing people could be bothered with) is incorrect. (See I can be pedantic too)

MULTIVITZ
29-05-2015, 09:25
So much to the SETA tyre modelling with 4 years of development. I smell fish, does anyone else?lol

Please note the lol at the end of the sentence.
All grip issues have been rectified by the game developers in the first patch. Ignore my sniping, its called dry hunmour. Thank you.

TheLethalDose
29-05-2015, 09:31
Hmm might have to try doing a dry lap on wets to test the quickness theory.

cerbrus2
29-05-2015, 11:46
So much to the SETA tyre modelling with 4 years of development. I smell fish, does anyone else?lol

I'm sure the seta model works fine, but it's limited by the testers. If all the testers are going to do is drive two laps, and go yeah that worked. Then the seta model won't function correctly as it lacks the proper inputs needed to accurately simulate tires.

Mahjik
29-05-2015, 14:15
Well the grip level after 3 laps (apparently that's all the testing people could be bothered with) is incorrect. (See I can be pedantic too)

Yes. Doug has already acknowledge the heat and wear is a problem and that it's being addressed. What more are you looking for?

Rain tires in general are softer than soft dry tires. In my real life time trial sanction, wet tires used in the dry are penalized the same as the softest dry tires. Why? Because you can eek out that one great lap on them in the dry.

Doug914
29-05-2015, 19:38
Yeah this car is already adjusted here along with amost of the other rain tires, and slicks got some love also. But basicly you'll be hard pressed to do more that one quick lap now before the tires get hot and soft with more slip angle. It not easy to dial every car in, but i'm getting there. Don't want to rush it :)

apexatspeed
29-05-2015, 20:08
Is this only on Formula Rookie, or does it apply to all racecars?