PDA

View Full Version : Red Flag?

Mr Akina
21-05-2015, 23:57
So everyone is bitching about little aids and assists that somehow make this less of a 'sim' - and they want more realism... but nobody has mentioned the fact the track they are driving on is in a permanent state of closure to race traffic!

You may leave the pit lane for practice, qualifying or warm up under green flag conditions (Green lights at the end of pit lane), but as soon as you complete a lap - the track goes into Red Flag mode. Don't believe me? Well every time these lights go Red, that means the track is closed. You would have thought that the game's racing drivers would have spotted it, but alas no. Maybe this just an Xbox thing?

Every track in game is as bad as far as I can tell; Monza has no pit lane lights illuminated and Brno shows both Green and Red. In the real world, you would be ushered back to the pits and parked in your garage for the remainder of the game.

In Dubai, the lights actually changed Red as I went to leave the pit lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEFPE0I5jqY

I know this is pedantic and a really, really minor gripe... but this is also quite laughable. I'm not demanding it should be fixed ASAP and I know that most people won't have noticed - or cared; but if you can just remove 'Red' from the light options, this would make much more sense to racers. Especially as I sincerely doubt Red Flag situations are built into the game anyway. :)

Shinzah
22-05-2015, 00:08
So everyone is bitching about little aids and assists that somehow make this less of a 'sim' - and they want more realism... but nobody has mentioned the fact the track they are driving on is in a permanent state of closure to race traffic!

You may leave the pit lane for practice, qualifying or warm up under green flag conditions (Green lights at the end of pit lane), but as soon as you complete a lap - the track goes into Red Flag mode. Don't believe me? Well every time these lights go Red, that means the track is closed. You would have thought that the game's racing drivers would have spotted it, but alas no. Maybe this just an Xbox thing?

Every track in game is as bad as far as I can tell; Monza has no pit lane lights illuminated and Brno shows both Green and Red. In the real world, you would be ushered back to the pits and parked in your garage for the remainder of the game.

In Dubai, the lights actually changed Red as I went to leave the pit lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEFPE0I5jqY

I know this is pedantic and a really, really minor gripe... but this is also quite laughable. I'm not demanding it should be fixed ASAP and I know that most people won't have noticed - or cared; but if you can just remove 'Red' from the light options, this would make much more sense to racers. Especially as I sincerely doubt Red Flag situations are built into the game anyway. :)

Actually, no. These are the pit lane exit light indicators. Not the track status indicators. They indicate if you can leave the pit lane. If you look at many tracks you will notice them functioning between green and red as the field goes by. Unfortunately the game does not seem to wait at the exit of the lane on the red light which could be seen as a problem, but these are not now, nor were they ever, red flag indicators. At least not in any series I'm familiar with.

They also function perfectly fine. The lights will be green to indicate there is no traffic approaching, and red to indicate there are cars approaching.

Mr Akina
22-05-2015, 00:13
Actually, no. These are the pit lane exit light indicators. Not the track status indicators. They indicate if you can leave the pit lane. If you look at many tracks you will notice them functioning between green and red as the field goes by. Unfortunately the game does not seem to wait at the exit of the lane on the red light which could be seen as a problem, but these are not now, nor were they ever, red flag indicators. At least not in any series I'm familiar with.

They also function perfectly fine. The lights will be green to indicate there is no traffic approaching, and red to indicate there are cars approaching.

That's great, but you're wrong.

There should be Green, Red and Blue. It will be Green all the time the track is open, Green and Blue when there is a car approaching, and finally Red when the track is closed to race traffic. No Red light or flag should ever be visible from the track when it is open.

RacingTopsy
22-05-2015, 00:17
You've got the colours right, but these sill are not flag indicators.

Shinzah
22-05-2015, 00:18
That's great, but you're wrong.

There should be Green, Red and Blue. It will be Green all the time the track is open, Green and Blue when there is a car approaching, and finally Red when the track is closed to race traffic. No Red light or flag should ever be visible from the track when it is open.

Actually, you're wrong. But it's okay.

Pit road lights are not flag indication lights. They never were. You're thinking of an entirely different set of lights. You can plainly see that in (most) cases, these lights have either red/green or red/yellow/green.

Red is track is not clear do not exit the pit lane
Green is exit the pit lane
Yellow if applicable is cars approaching/merge with caution

Again. These are not, nor were they ever flag indicators.

Mr Akina
22-05-2015, 00:25
I didn't say they were flag indicators, I'm just saying that red lights should never be seen from the track.

I do accept I'm wrong. I'm guessing some of the tracks haven't got the newer lighting fixtures. It's just the FIA have changed the way it works... Now you have 6 lights in blocks of 2 at the end of pit lane.

OO
OO
OO

Like so. They function in a different way to the old ones.
Green - Track open
Green/Blue - Track open, Car approaching
Red - Track closed

Shinzah
22-05-2015, 00:30
I didn't say they were flag indicators, I'm just saying that red lights should never be seen from the track.

I do accept I'm wrong. I'm guessing some of the tracks haven't got the newer lighting fixtures. It's just the FIA have changed the way it works... Now you have 6 lights in blocks of 2 at the end of pit lane.

OO
OO
OO

Like so. They function in a different way to the old ones.

FIA haven't really changed anything. They implement their own indication lights *for some events sometimes*

But your statement on red lights being visible from the track is not true. The red lights at the end of pit lane are not there for you if you are on the track, they are for cars in the lane. They NEED to function. Same as pit entry lights, where pit entry lights CAN be a problem in pcars due to being locked into the same system as the pit exit lights (near as I can tell) the pit lane is not always open every session and giant red or yellow lights signify this.

The pit lane lights in pcars however are a simple on/off traffic light script. If there is no cars on track approaching, they show as green. If there is cars approaching or (sometimes) at the start of sessions, they are red. That's all. That's entirely correct. Do keep in mind however in pcars, a videogame, the light illumination is much more easier to see than if you were driving in reality as these are not trackside light posts for flag conditions, they are the pit road lights. Sometimes series will install their own lighting systems but don't get that all confused up with anything.

Mr Akina
22-05-2015, 00:32
Cool thanks for clearing that up, you can delete this thread as it's kinda redundant now lol