PDA

View Full Version : Gameplay manual

WhiteNinja636
22-05-2015, 00:01
Considering how many were involved and the length of the development I am genuinely surprised that some sort of gameplay manual hasn't been developed. The game is very technical and there is almost no explanation of any of the in game features.
Perhaps there can be a stickied thread where users can submit articles on specific features that include what they are, how they work and how they are applicable. It will definitely help a lot of people and cut down the amount of unnecessary/duplicate threads.

OperatorWay
22-05-2015, 00:16
http://www.projectcarsgame.com/digital-manual.html

...It doesn't cover every detail, but it's a good intro.

spinkick
22-05-2015, 00:25
If its one thing programmers hate, its documentation :)

WhiteNinja636
22-05-2015, 01:07
If its one thing programmers hate, its documentation :)

That's why getting the community to write it makes it seem like a good idea.
There are a few wiki type pages floating around but most info available is rather useless, there are so many features that I would consider their function to be not obvious and the only way of finding out what they do is to come here and start a thread on it.
All it would take is a stickied thread where we could submit articles into and a mod could come through regularly and copy their article into the 1st post and arrange it so it formatted correctly.

Mascot
28-05-2015, 08:01
I was going to start a new thread but searched and found this one.

With the multi-layered complexity of Project CARS I really cannot believe that an in-depth technical manual doesn't exist. The digital manual barely scratches the surface and doesn't even cover things like how to plan and execute pit-stops properly, what various graphical options actually do, how to mechanically tune vehicle set-ups... hell, even something as basic as tyre compounds isn't properly explained. To be honest, a lot of Project CARS is baffling to the average user.

Are there any plans to release an official technical manual, or does anyone know of one that's being worked on by a user somewhere on the multitude of sim racing forums around the globe?

If a company like Prima Games ever released a decent pCARS guide I'm sure it would instantly be a bestseller.

danowat
28-05-2015, 08:14
I was going to start a new thread but searched and found this one.

With the multi-layered complexity of Project CARS I really cannot believe that an in-depth technical manual doesn't exist. The digital manual barely scratches the surface and doesn't even cover things like how to plan and execute pit-stops properly, what various graphical options actually do, how to mechanically tune vehicle set-ups... hell, even something as basic as tyre compounds isn't properly explained. To be honest, a lot of Project CARS is baffling to the average user.

Are there any plans to release an official technical manual, or does anyone know of one that's being worked on by a user somewhere on the multitude of sim racing forums around the globe?

If a company like Prima Games ever released a decent pCARS guide I'm sure it would instantly be a bestseller.

Screaming out for a community wiki to be honest, I can't imagine technical documentation is at the forefront of the development teams minds.

PCars isn't the only game that does it, most complex new games just tend to chuck people in and let them figure it out.

Mascot
28-05-2015, 08:28
Screaming out for a community wiki to be honest, I can't imagine technical documentation is at the forefront of the development teams minds.

PCars isn't the only game that does it, most complex new games just tend to chuck people in and let them figure it out.

Anyone know if a wiki exists on the members-only forum?

danowat
28-05-2015, 08:36
I don't know a huge amount about Wiki's, but is this one able to be edited by the community?, and who oversees it?.

http://en.pcars.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

Mascot
28-05-2015, 09:05
I don't know a huge amount about Wiki's, but is this one able to be edited by the community?, and who oversees it?.

http://en.pcars.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

Yeah, not sure who's produced that. It's a start, but severely lacking currently in a lot of areas. Like you, I've no experience of editing wikis, but there must be enough collective knowledge on this board to flash it out properly if an appeal was made to users.

MULTIVITZ
28-05-2015, 09:06
Ok now look at the tuning grind thread!

Roger Prynne
28-05-2015, 10:26
Ok now look at the tuning grind thread!

Will you stop this please.... posting about tuning in every thread!!... it's getting boring.