PDA

View Full Version : question about novice/amateur /pro choice

TrevorAustin
22-05-2015, 07:13
I thought, from reading on here that this only affected things like assists available and so on, and as you change these there is no real diffwrenxe.

But as,ive beem suffering the loss of settjngs crash a LOT, recently I've been having a play and it seems to create different default setups for the cars.

So for example, in pro the turn in oversteer is MUCH more pronounced and tends towards understeer or 4 wheel drift in amateur. And without a doubt i can break a full second later on the mulsanne straight in amateur and still make a clean bend, in pro I'll either miss it or spin out, so need to break earlier. It would be good to understand all these differences As online this will make quite a difference.

wraithsrike
22-05-2015, 07:15
I thought, from reading on here that this only affected things like assists available and so on, and as you change these there is no real diffwrenxe.

But as,ive beem suffering the loss of settjngs crash a LOT, recently I've been having a play and it seems to create different default setups for the cars.

So for example, in pro the turn in oversteer is MUCH more pronounced and tends towards understeer or 4 wheel drift in amateur. And without a doubt i can break a full second later on the mulsanne straight in amateur and still make a clean bend, in pro I'll either miss it or spin out, so need to break earlier. It would be good to understand all these differences As online this will make quite a difference.

This is interesting ^^

I know nothing about this, is this true?

LADY GEMMA JANE
22-05-2015, 07:15
I chose amateur, not sure what it does tho

wraithsrike
22-05-2015, 07:17
I chose pro, but if the above is true it would explain alot.

How can I now go back and change to amateur?

TrevorAustin
22-05-2015, 08:25
I only tested the Formula A at Monza and the Nissan at Le Mans, but I switched between the two settings three times and absolutely no doubt, first time was an accident after a crash and lost settings, I fancied the ego boost! But then on my favourite corner at Monza I oversteered into a wall 3 laps out of 4, doing nothing different, then tested the Nissan and did the same at the first chicane, had another crash and chose amateur and all back to what I was used to. So I switched several more times and it repeated. I much prefer the amateur version of the setups, A 2 hour race isn't ruined by my wife asking if I want a cup of tea mid bend and oversteering into a wall:) or at least nowhere near as much, lol.

wraithsrike
22-05-2015, 10:48
Would really like to hear from a WMD guy regarding this, I'm quite interested to learn if this is true.

Bealdor
22-05-2015, 10:52
Would really like to hear from a WMD guy regarding this, I'm quite interested to learn if this is true.

There is literally no physics/handling model difference between those modes. They only have different driving aids activated by default.

DarC
22-05-2015, 10:57
Can you go back and change the option? or are you stuck with it?

Bealdor
22-05-2015, 10:59
Can you go back and change the option? or are you stuck with it?

Unfortunately you're stuck with it unless you delete your profile (which will wipe your career progress).

TrevorAustin
22-05-2015, 10:59
There is literally no physics/handling model difference between those modes. They only have different driving aids activated by default.

Is that from a devs point of view or a personal point of view. I cannot have been imagining the differences I got yesterday. Honestly, have you tried it for yourself. Not saying it's an issue, as it isn't. But I tested the braking with the same fuel load and the guideline on, going into the first chicane with the guideline on, I wait until after the red starts about 1 second and slam on the brakes (with ABS on, well actually real mode) in amateur that's an easy turn, in pro I either go through the chicane or more likely oversteer into the wall on the inside of the turn.

I thought I was kidding myself first time, but it was repeatable many times.

DarC
22-05-2015, 11:06
Unfortunately you're stuck with it unless you delete your profile (which will wipe your career progress).

Damn, am i right in saying the only way to get the 'I Am The 5%' trophy is to have selected Pro from the start?

Bealdor
22-05-2015, 11:07
Is that from a devs point of view or a personal point of view. I cannot have been imagining the differences I got yesterday. Honestly, have you tried it for yourself. Not saying it's an issue, as it isn't. But I tested the braking with the same fuel load and the guideline on, going into the first chicane with the guideline on, I wait until after the red starts about 1 second and slam on the brakes (with ABS on, well actually real mode) in amateur that's an easy turn, in pro I either go through the chicane or more likely oversteer into the wall on the inside of the turn.

I thought I was kidding myself first time, but it was repeatable many times.

This was confirmed by a dev at WMD forums, yes.

HBR-Roadhog
22-05-2015, 11:12
Well maybe this will shed some light on it.
I started by choosing amateur as I figured that would give me TCS ABS ASM and medium speed AI which it did. I then figured I would run a couple of races, get a feel for it and crank it up which I also did. I noticed that the profile page still said I was using the Amatuer driving model even though I had all assisted turned off at the time. At first I thought maybe it was because I just had not ran as many races with the assists off yet as with them on so I continued a bit longer but nothing changed. My brother on the other hand picked pro at start up and then turned on the assists and turned down the AI. his profile showed pro. When checking times on the web based leaderboard [pc] it showed a pro on his times and intermediate on my times.

There seemed to be no way of changing the option so I deleted my profile files and restarted choosing pro this time. There was absolutely no difference that I could see in any setup or the way any car felt when using the same level of assists. By default on pro all assists are off and when you turn off asm and tcs some cars can get very loose in the corners where they would be much tighter with those assists turned on. Same for braking ABS will prevent the lockup that may occur during heavy braking and as a result may be able to let you brake later. I use a load cell brake so ABS is not an issue for me one way or the other.

Also as far as setups go when I was on the amateur setting and my brother was on pro we did do some comparison on car settings and there was no difference in the ones we looked at

Bealdor
22-05-2015, 11:14
I started by choosing amateur as I figured that would give me TCS ABS ASM and medium speed AI which it did. I then figured I would run a couple of races, get a feel for it and crank it up which I also did. I noticed that the profile page still said I was using the Amatuer driving model even though I had all assisted turned off at the time. At first I thought maybe it was because I just had not ran as many races with the assists off yet as with them on so I continued a bit longer but nothing changed. My brother on the other hand picked pro at start up and then turned on the assists and turned down the AI. his profile showed pro. When checking times on the web based leaderboard [pc] it showed a pro on his times and intermediate on my times.

There seemed to be no way of changing the option so I deleted my profile files and restarted choosing pro this time. There was absolutely no difference that I could see in any setup or the way any car felt when using the same level of assists. By default on pro all assists are off and when you turn off asm and tcs some cars can get very loose in the corners where they would be much tighter with those assists turned on. Same for braking ABS will prevent the lockup that may occur during heavy braking and as a result may be able to let you brake later. I use a load cell brake so ABS is not an issue for me one way or the other.

Also as far as setups go when I was on the amateur setting and my brother was on pro we did do some comparison on car settings and there was no difference in the ones we looked at

Perfect description how it works Roadhog.

TrevorAustin
22-05-2015, 11:14

OK, that's good info, so maybe I was kidding myself. Or driving better one day than the other, I had been travelling with work for 8 hours on the Pro/crashing day! So maybe it is just me.

Bealdor
22-05-2015, 11:16
OK, that's good info, so maybe I was kidding myself. Or driving better one day than the other, I had been travelling with work for 8 hours on the Pro/crashing day! So maybe it is just me.

Never underestimate the Placebo Effect. ;)

ThePla7Maker
22-05-2015, 12:30
if it only effects driving aids. just go into options and turn traction stability control on. and braking assist on. . personally I only have traction set to yes

HBR-Roadhog
22-05-2015, 13:45
Braking assist? No.... that is only there for beginners.

ABS is what you would want if you are having trouble with braking.
Amateur level assists are TCS ABS ASM and driving line.

Novice may add the assisted steering and braking, no experienced player should use those.

Braking Assists and Steering Assists are both very much beginner tools to help people who basically can't drive get around the track;

TrevorAustin
22-05-2015, 14:53
Lol, not sure where that came from. Not at all what I was asking. And experienced drivers should use real assists. That's how the cars were designed to be used and raced from day one. Can just imagine all the F1 drivers refusing to use launch control because it's not macho enough:)

Vettel "Louis your time should not count and you should be disqualified for using Kers and launch control, real drivers don't use aids"

HBR-Roadhog
22-05-2015, 14:59
Lol, not sure where that came from. Not at all what I was asking. And experienced drivers should use real assists. That's how the cars were designed to be used and raced from day one. Can just imagine all the F1 drivers refusing to use launch control because it's not macho enough:) Well yes and no. IRL you can only use real assists because that is all there is but there is also a little button there to toggle TCS on and off so you can run with it or without it either is real. ABS is something they really don't want you to turn off so that is a little harder. Not sure about ASM as my car does not have it but I think that can be toggled on an off at will in many cars as well, some may even allow you to set ASM and/or TCS at different levels as well.

Bealdor
22-05-2015, 15:08
Well yes and no. IRL you can only use real assists because that is all there is but there is also a little button there to toggle TCS on and off so you can run with it or without it either is real. ABS is something they really don't want you to turn off so that is a little harder. Not sure about ASM as my car does not have it but I think that can be toggled on an off at will in many cars as well, some may even allow you to set ASM and/or TCS at different levels as well.

You can do this in pcars too. Set the assists to real and you can enable and disable the ones that are available via hotkey.

TrevorAustin
22-05-2015, 15:23
Well yes and no. IRL you can only use real assists because that is all there is but there is also a little button there to toggle TCS on and off so you can run with it or without it either is real. ABS is something they really don't want you to turn off so that is a little harder. Not sure about ASM as my car does not have it but I think that can be toggled on an off at will in many cars as well, some may even allow you to set ASM and/or TCS at different levels as well.

It can with the road cars, yes, as you can do in the game with button mapping, but pretty sure on the race cars everything is left on as those are performance enhancements not safety features. My real car is much more fun with most of them turned off:)