PDA

View Full Version : Why Xbox1 with all the problems?

Stu7676
22-05-2015, 10:35
Just curious why it seems to be the xbox that has the majority of issues? Was it the last version to be fully developed and tested? Or is there a basic problem with the Xbox? Its cant handle the game/graphics as well as PS4? Its more difficult to develop for?

I will add that I love the game. I`m having a lot of fun with it. Been crying out for this type of driving game for years. It has moments of pure genius!

:D

Max Kelly
22-05-2015, 11:36
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?27074-Project-CARS-Xbox-One-Upcoming-Patch-1-3-Release-notes

Stu7676
22-05-2015, 12:10
thanks Max. I understand that things are being fixed. And whilst its not really acceptable to release an unfinished game im patient and happy to wait. Alls well that ends well! I was just generally wondering why the xbox has seen so many more problems?

titanic tony
22-05-2015, 12:19
MONEY

Follialucida1908
22-05-2015, 12:22
The Nextgen, has taught us that there is more than the finished product, but projects evolving. Just look at every single game released for the PS4 or One. Everyone, following patch to improve or fix defects of the game.

skijumptoes
22-05-2015, 12:45
PS4 has slightly more core power in it's hardware, and also less resources are allocated to the main operating system of the PS4 compared to the xbox one.

You've got to remember that you could snap and watch a youtube channel whilst playing project cars on the xbone, or watch your cable box, or listen to an online radio stream... It's those options which probably don't help the console when it goes head to head with the PS4 like this. Xbone always has been about being a multi-entertainment system, for pure gaming the PS4 will be the console market leader, and better platform from a graphical viewpoint.

However, the PS4 does has it's own issues with blurring etc. So, both have their pros and cons.

D1rty Duck UK
22-05-2015, 13:06
lack of testing is the issue, they have said they outsourced the testing....

Unbelievable not to pick up on the controller bug.

While i have been happy to wait for the patch, I'm getting more disgruntled each day.

A call to MS tonight for a refund may be on the cards.

Pigdog
22-05-2015, 15:12
I've never bought a game that will not load before. I kind of feel like I've been bummed, charged 5o for it and then the guy who bummed me didn't even say thanks.

Roger Prynne
22-05-2015, 15:15
MONEY

Great post... :confused:

griffidh
22-05-2015, 15:37
I have been trying and trying to be patient and get somewhere with it but today I went back to forza 5 and I am seriously tempted to cut my losses and trade project cars as I think there are that many things wrong the developers no matter how hard they work won't be able to sort the problems for quite some time

Projectmanager
22-05-2015, 19:52
Ime a big forza 5 fan ,it took me a good 6 months to tackle the handling on some of the super cars,especially the Lamborghini,s and the zonda,and when I cracked it,it was so satisfying,ime determined to literally sit this one out and do the same with this game,I have a simulator with madcatz which makes life easier,wouldn't bother trying all this with a controller,also,I won't trade this game in because I keep all my games,it will come right in the end,but saying all this I've not had one glitch or any problems come to light yet,

Stu7676
24-05-2015, 19:55
Well I didn't start this as another chance for the moaners to moan?! Was just curious Asti why the xb had more problems. I'm having loads of fun with the game for what it's worth. And most ��

stux
25-05-2015, 05:55
The real question is why didn't the ps4? Were they both outsourced?

MysterG
25-05-2015, 06:33
It seems people are looking for some sort of conspiracy here.

The XBOX version had a few more problems down to bad luck. The console versions had equal effort put in to all stages of development.

LextersQuest
25-05-2015, 07:29
Who knows mayby it slike MysterG said just bad luck - mayby due to outsourcing testing - or what ever we all can come up with.
At this moment it really doesnt matter anymore.
Lets all wait for the next 2 patches : 1.3 should be coming out soon. And they are working on the next one.
There will be people like me that read the first patch and see that the problem were having is not being fixed in this patch.
There was like for many other a time i got to frustrated but i shock it of and spent my time in a possitive way with other parts of the game.
I will wait for the second upcomming patch (1.4) in believe that the other problems will be fixed with it.

bobblebob
25-05-2015, 07:57
MS stopped charging devs to release patches (before on the 360 they would charge something like 20k a patch). Idea of charging was so devs didnt release buggy games and just patch them once out. Now the patch process is free, games are more buggy. Linked?

phoenix8000
25-05-2015, 08:21
my question is why doesnt the xbone (or perhaps even the PS4) dev kits not replicate the results expected to be seen on the retail units? are the hardware specs the same if so why are some of these issues not picked up. if they are different how can any expect the dev kit performance to be transferred to the retail units. Ian Bell posted on the Saturday after launch that he had to go and buy a retail console to try the game? adn then confirmed they needed to work an immediate patch due to the listed controller issues (steering/ffb) - is this more a MS problem of how they handle developers than a SMS problem?

I've read online about the MS plans to allow the retail units to activate their built in dev kit option (not something that should be done unless instructed as i can seriously balls up your profile or something else) but is that what was really needed - if SMS couldnt test it on an actual console then how could anyone test it?

Plato99
25-05-2015, 09:06
my question is why doesnt the xbone (or perhaps even the PS4) dev kits not replicate the results expected to be seen on the retail units? are the hardware specs the same if so why are some of these issues not picked up. if they are different how can any expect the dev kit performance to be transferred to the retail units. Ian Bell posted on the Saturday after launch that he had to go and buy a retail console to try the game? adn then confirmed they needed to work an immediate patch due to the listed controller issues (steering/ffb) - is this more a MS problem of how they handle developers than a SMS problem?

I've read online about the MS plans to allow the retail units to activate their built in dev kit option (not something that should be done unless instructed as i can seriously balls up your profile or something else) but is that what was really needed - if SMS couldnt test it on an actual console then how could anyone test it?

For a dev team not to be able to test the final build on consumer hardware before going gold is not an oversight. It's damn unacceptable. This current gen ethos of "charge now fix later' has got to stop. It's unethical.

EMW Grogan
25-05-2015, 16:39
It seems people are looking for some sort of conspiracy here.

The XBOX version had a few more problems down to bad luck. The console versions had equal effort put in to all stages of development.

Bad luck? Could you please elaborate on the bad luck the Xbox version had against the....'good luck' the PS4 may have had?

EMW Grogan
26-05-2015, 08:14
Bump

Would love Mystery to answer my previous post...or any dev or mod answer posts I have made regarding issues

MysterG
26-05-2015, 08:17
It's been covered lots of times before.

Xbox issues did not show up on dev kit testing, only after release on retail consoles.

Xbox having bad luck does not imply that PS4 had good luck. One can exist without the other.

EMW Grogan
26-05-2015, 10:13
You say it's been covered lots of times before? Can you point me to the thread where the XBOX1 testing is fully explained, who? how long? Etc as I can't see it.

You still have not said what you meant by xbox1 'Bad Luck'

Are you saying that in the test phase the testers had 'Bad luck' in not seeing or hearing the numerous faults? Or they did see them and it was 'Bad luck' they didn't manage to point them out to the relevant Devs? Or was it 'Bad Luck' for Xbox1 owners just because it's not a 'Lucky' machine?

RuyGTR
26-05-2015, 15:14
Another tuesday, no update sign ahead, I swear by almighty God, this is the last pre-ordered game that I've spent my money.

MysterG
26-05-2015, 15:18
You say it's been covered lots of times before? Can you point me to the thread where the XBOX1 testing is fully explained, who? how long? Etc as I can't see it.

You still have not said what you meant by xbox1 'Bad Luck'

Are you saying that in the test phase the testers had 'Bad luck' in not seeing or hearing the numerous faults? Or they did see them and it was 'Bad luck' they didn't manage to point them out to the relevant Devs? Or was it 'Bad Luck' for Xbox1 owners just because it's not a 'Lucky' machine?

I think it fairly obvious what I mean. It was bad luck that the retail versions of the console exhibited issues that the dev kits did not.

PTG Ducky
26-05-2015, 15:23
I think it fairly obvious what I mean. It was bad luck that the retail versions of the console exhibited issues that the dev kits did not.

To be fair though wouldn't it of been an idea to get a couple "retail console" to check??

Don't get me wrong I love the game just think a bit more planning for the consoles at least wouldn't of gone a miss

MysterG
26-05-2015, 15:26
To be fair though wouldn't it of been an idea to get a couple "retail console" to check??

Don't get me wrong I love the game just think a bit more planning for the consoles at least wouldn't of gone a miss

Do you not think if it were possible to run the pre release version on a retail box the devs might have thought of that?

Plato99
26-05-2015, 15:33
Do you not think if it were possible to run the pre release version on a retail box the devs might have thought of that?

I'm struggling to imagine why it wouldn't be possible. Is the Xbox One platform such a closed shop?

sammyv6s
26-05-2015, 15:55
What could have possibly changed between the final build of the game being tested on the Dev Kits, and then the game being put into retail?
Is it simply that the issues are not apparent when being played on a system with more power? i.e on a dev kit?

Plato99
26-05-2015, 16:04
Maybe we need to know the difference between a dev kit and an Xbox One.

skijumptoes
26-05-2015, 16:05
I'm struggling to imagine why it wouldn't be possible. Is the Xbox One platform such a closed shop?

Obviously it's a closed shop, code has to be signed to run on retail builds and it's compiled as such to prevent piracy etc., very different to a debug kit which can be wired the code to run from an external device which is basically self signed based on the developers credentials.

Also the dev kits can have different libraries running based on test builds, to that of a retail xbox. This will include elements like graphical devices, controllers and audio devices - in fact, i'm sure that microsoft allowed an additional core for sms to use which was related to the audio device, in order to gain some more power for the game - this may have been granted late in the development cycle also.

You either believe what sms say, or you don't, as that seems to be the actual question which you're slowly alluding to. If they say this is the reason, then for me it is, no questions - i have no reason to mistrust what is being relayed to us.

Once the game has gone 'gold' and that final master is certified and produced for retail, i'm pretty sure that's it - anything else has to come later via form of live updates etc. Or else, any additional update could set the game back by weeks/months and breaks down many agreements based on revised release dates. It will have a massive snowball effect.

I don't know the actual certification procedure, the costs involved or release mechanism employed, in fact very few of us do. So if someone, in the know, tells you that's the reason, generally it's wise to listen and accept it.

Plato99
26-05-2015, 17:41
I'm not criticising SMS.
I'm curious about the dev/ sign off hardware and workflow.

From your post it almost sounds like a bizarre situation where the game code is signed off on a totally different hardware platform?
Isn't that akin to writing an app on a Windows PC and releasing it for iOS and hoping for the best?
Scuse my ignorance but when I produced PC game software I did it on the PC platform and a team of beta testers flogged it to death on consumer PCs with differing hardware specs.

skijumptoes
26-05-2015, 17:59
If you produced a pc game then you will know of exactly these problems, and understand them surely? By the time you've beta tested for 2-3 months the hardware you're selling into could change considerably, and did you ever have to provide support to multiple platforms with multiple control methods - all controllable/adaptable via one ui? Add those elements to what you've put out previously and maybe it becomes clearer to understand?

You can't take the xbox one build as a standalone issue, it's all part of a multi-platform release.

With modern SDK's much is controlled via licensing and each development team has a universal identifier that they work within, and that will cover them for internal testing via dev kit units, and then the retail code is handled by an external identifier, i imagine. so even certification is quite different to how you handle it internally. Things have to run like this to protect Microsoft's platform - but it adds additional obstacles that people don't realise when they say 'How did you let this go out?' etc. At some point the line is drawn, not just for one platform - but for all.

On top of that you have advertising campaigns, preview articles, budget considerations and retail all primed for the date which you've planned for release, and it falls on the shoulders of someone like Ian to make sure deadlines aren't missed. He can't suddenly pull the whole process apart at the last minute without some serious questions being asked, and likewise he's got to ensure his team get paid for the hours they've put in. Would you/Could you pull it all apart based on a controller issue so late in the day?

The beta units aren't a different hardware platform as such, you have to remember this game has been in development for 3 years and over those years SDK's evolve and the libraries that you include in your development structure evolve also. I can only presume that compiling to a dev kit and it's associated libraries could bring a different final build when compiling to the current release libraries. The main difference being that the dev kit almost runs the game within a bottled environment and then layers diagnostic tools on top of that for the dev's to be able to jump and step through different areas of code, and assess it's performance in real time.

If that reason is why the controller reacts differently then it's perfectly understandable that this inconsistency exists, because there's not a great deal many games that rely on such accuracy from the controller, in terms of amount of force being applied anyway, that can be readily seen on the screen via the hud overlay, or steering wheel in direct comparison to the users input.

Think about the average game that involves a player moving within their surroundings, there's probably 3 layers at most to the amount of force put on the analog stick... Stop, walk, and run. I don't know how many steps are involved with pCars, but you could be talking 60 each way maybe? Not a clue on it's accuracy, but a lot more than stop, walk, run that's for sure.

Plato99
26-05-2015, 18:22
Veritable minefield then.

PTG Claret
27-05-2015, 06:27
If you produced a pc game then you will know of exactly these problems, and understand them surely? By the time you've beta tested for 2-3 months the hardware you're selling into could change considerably.....

What has changed on the Xbox One since launch?

TenthDan
27-05-2015, 06:42
Hardware wise, nothing. Firmware, drivers, OS, architecture; probably a fair bit and there's also likely differences between dev kits and production units too by their functions.

Chris Wollaston-Savage
27-05-2015, 09:08
It could also be a by-product of MS allowing the Kinect core to be opened up and allowed for IO processing, something that wouldn't have been on the original SDKs. If the way the SDKs had interpreted the instruction set was different from the way the console does it (entirely possible, they have different CPUs and processing systems), then this is what could have caused the bug. This is why it would never have appeared until the release version; because it all appeared good on the dev kits, why would it be any different on the end user console (being a little naive there). The QC testing company that SMS used would also have been running the dev kits.

PTG Claret
27-05-2015, 10:10
So can anyone explain what the point of testing is if the testing is not done on the product that will use it?

Its like testing out a new set of brake on a ford focus 1.6 zetec, and being shocked and surprised to find they are not working as planned when used on the Focus RS.

That's how it seems to me.

My company produces thrust reversers. We test them on the final engine which they will be fitted.

That way, we know it works. As advertised.

skijumptoes
27-05-2015, 10:16
What has changed on the Xbox One since launch?

Didn't say the xbone hardware had changed mate, the guy i replied to originally said that he had developed a pc title before, so i was surprised that he wasn't aware of bugs appearing after the game has been released. Particularly so in pc gaming where the hardware could change, let alone software supporting it (OS/Drivers/Frameworks etc).

In terms of the xbone, from a developers perspective a great deal has changed since launch, firmware, drivers, cpu support, kinect resources etc.

On top of that you get revisions of the SDK (Software kit) that is being used, firmware of the debug kits would've changed over that time, and also the API's (Which the SDK uses) that are used to 'talk' to the xbone hardware can change. So if you're asking what has changed since launch? Far more than you could imagine!

To go on top of that further, in the case of sms they are developing into multi-platforms - That's not 3 different projects per se, they design the one game engine and then that is controlled as it's own concern probably on the pc platform primarily, and then the 3 console platforms layer above that core engine. The main control mechanics therefore will be controlled via the game engine, with the xboxone specific build having it's own set of controller support that sits on top of that to initiate commands to the game engine.

So, even a change in the game engine, when sent to retail, could hugely upset what was considered a good working build. It may have been something like that which occured, who knows.

The big issue with console gaming is that test builds can only be ran on dev kits, you can't just burn it to a disk and play like a retail game on your mates xbox, you rely on microsoft to provide the tools that give you 100% confidence that your build will be echo'd on retail. Because what you need to understand is that the code you develop sits on an ever changing framework of smaller code provided by microsoft, which in turn sits on the low level structure that drives the console. Remove a brick from that foundation and all hell breaks lose! :)

skijumptoes
27-05-2015, 10:25
My company produces thrust reversers. We test them on the final engine which they will be fitted.

That way, we know it works. As advertised.

That's great, now consider that you need final certification before your thrusters will communicate with the final engine, so because of this and to aid your development the engine supplier send you a test engine at the request of the customer, and assure that if you thrusters work with that, it will work with the real thing.

Once signed off and the first thrusters are fitted, a fault is found in the communication between controls, engine and thrusters - and now several hundred customers are yelling at you!

That's the equivalent.

Chris Wollaston-Savage
27-05-2015, 10:27
It's a little harder, mainly because of the way that the console requires a license from the first party for the console to run the software (you can blame MS and Sony for that one), so you have to run the game on a machine that acts the same way as the console that doesn't need the certificate.

Your company creates thrust reversers, which diverts the exhaust gases out of the side of the engine to slow the plane down; your company makes something that does one thing, albeit very complicated, but just one thing alone. It is mechanical, which means that the item is subject to the laws of physics. You can predict what is going to happen before you even make it. Now imagine what was to happen if the tolerance of manufacture suddenly increased from 0.05% to 1%. The performance of the final product is not what it should be, and that is exactly what is happening with Project CARS. The tolerance of the equipment is not what was expected by the devs, not what was being tested by the devs, and it has caused these problems.

As for the brake pad analogy, that would be closer to running the PC version of the game on the XBone or PS4, and then it struggling. You have to scale the performance of the consumable to the application. This is what they did, they decreased some of the graphical fidelity and internal resolution to match the console's performance. There are underlying issues with the hardware and software, and these are going to be worked on (equivalent to a recall).

PTG Claret
27-05-2015, 10:48
OK, so the thrust reverser analogy is rather extreme, but they are flown around on live aircraft to levels of performance far exceeding the daily norm. This ensures they work correctly. Part of normal product testing.

I just find it mind boggling that nobody thought to try the game in its final state on the product intended. Why invest so much time and money, to not dot the i's and cross the t's.

It feels like 2 fingers up to those of us who had to save hard to buy this game.

skijumptoes
27-05-2015, 11:09
You're missing the point mate, you are provided a test platform, you build to that and then submit your final release, this isn't a question on whether they've tested it or not.

Microsoft check the final build that is handed over, and check if it passes their internal policies and liase with the developer until is passes. I don't know what kind of rulings microsoft put on quality however, i imagine that their testing and release conditions are more to do with diagnostics more than anything. Once that has been completed the game is given the green light, code signed, and ready to roll.

But, Never along that line can the developer take a disk and run it on a retail xbox at will. If they could piracy would be rife.

As a software developer, especially with such a big project, you're continually testing a product which has already been changed by the time you feed the test information back to the coders. And that's why you always get some kind of bug, a game such as this which is primarily physics based, across a wide range of conditions, more bugs will appear as you can't test like you would an A to B style platformer for example.

If it really upsets you and has cost you relatively a lot of money then you could've returned the game, or stick with them and wait for the fixes to come out. What else can they do?!

Chris Wollaston-Savage
27-05-2015, 11:11
Yeah, that's a good point, and I'm not going to argue that one. But the problem is, the devs got the final product at the same time as the rest of us, and have worked hard ever since to get it working properly. With hindsight, maybe they could have tested the final product as a digital download on an end user console before the release date, but sometimes you need a fresh pair of eyes to see the flaws.

PTG Claret
27-05-2015, 11:30
Its hard to return a digital copy.

So if the developers of the game are not to be blamed for the mass if bugs in the Xbox version, who's to blame for the issues apparent cross platform? A tune cannot be tweeked and saved in career, and this I know happens on PC. Have all those posting up YouTube videos for years been testing it on a development PC, or their own customer gaming versions? What's the excuse there? Only thing I can think I'd the game was released far too soon.

(Bear with me here. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just want to understand why I should accept a game with properly game braking issues....)

Corona
27-05-2015, 11:40
Just curious why it seems to be the xbox that has the majority of issues? Was it the last version to be fully developed and tested? Or is there a basic problem with the Xbox? Its cant handle the game/graphics as well as PS4? Its more difficult to develop for?

I will add that I love the game. I`m having a lot of fun with it. Been crying out for this type of driving game for years. It has moments of pure genius!

:D

The game was never tested on Xbox one. It's a joke.

PTG Claret
27-05-2015, 11:42
That's great, now consider that you need final certification before your thrusters will communicate with the final engine, so because of this and to aid your development the engine supplier send you a test engine at the request of the customer, and assure that if you thrusters work with that, it will work with the real thing.

Once signed off and the first thrusters are fitted, a fault is found in the communication between controls, engine and thrusters - and now several hundred customers are yelling at you!

That's the equivalent.

They are actually flown around on real aircraft, subjected to conditions and performance far in excess of what they could expect in everyday usage. But I know the analogy is a bit extreme.

D1rty Duck UK
27-05-2015, 12:29
How do open beta's work then? SMS could have taken this root which would have mean they would have tested on Retail Xbox's.

Too many excuses i'm afraid and after a while it gets boring listening to people coming up with more and more excuses as to why somethings not done. The bottom line is that the testing for Xbox one was poorly preformed and i'm quite sure SMS have learnt from this which can only a benefit for next time.

skijumptoes
27-05-2015, 12:57
There's no excuses going on, i think the game is littered with minor bugs, hence why i signed up to this forum - i'm not blindly defending sms in any way whatsoever. However, as someone who has experienced life their side of the fence i can totally understand the decisions being made and on the whole i'm very happy with what they've put out. But what really annoys me is when people actually think they haven't tested the game, that really is a ridiculous thing to say.

The game isn't 'broken' as some claim, it's perfectly playable and on the whole is a superb technical feat they've accomplished. For me, issues like the frame rate, controller and sound bugs - I think microsoft should have some responsibility for allowing this to pass their testing, they have a customer perception to protect, and a brand identity to uphold. Customer perception is particularly poignant as they offer no refunds on digital purchases, for example, as pointed out here.

It's clear the hardware of the xbone isn't quite up to it, and many work arounds have had to be put in place by sms, but the bottom line for me is that they are being transparent with their customers, and are committed to fixing the issue - I can understand anger if no fix was forthcoming, but it's not the case at all, the first of which is out tomorrow.

Sonic6L
27-05-2015, 13:06
The game isn't 'broken' as some claim, it's perfectly playable and on the whole is a superb technical feat they've accomplished.

But it is broken when the game crashes back to dashboard, unable to progress through career due to crashes and random freezes. There are many threads with the same problems. You cannot say the "the game isn't broken" when quite clearly, it is for some people.

Some people are just blindly defending the game and not acknowledging when there are indeed game breaking problems.

The game is good.... when it works, don't get me wrong, but in it's current guise, it's mediocre at best, it needs fixing and I'll change my words tomorrow/friday if and when the patch comes as I know it's full potential will be unlocked. I'm not bashing the game, I'm just not going to defend it when it is broken.

D1rty Duck UK
27-05-2015, 13:20
The xbox one hardware is up to the task, the game just isn't fully optimised yet.

Game breaking bugs don't get through testing if tested correctly. The fact that you said it isn't broken for some is laughable when SMS have said themselves that it is.

DIXON76
27-05-2015, 13:21
I've had 2 or 3 refunds of microsoft for digital purchases that didn't work as described.

skijumptoes
27-05-2015, 16:06
The xbox one hardware is up to the task, the game just isn't fully optimised yet.
Well, we shall see - i hope it is, but i think it's underpowered personally. Forza Horizon 2 had to be locked to 30 FPS because it had weather conditions, Forza 5 has nowhere near the level of atmospheric simulation and car count - And these are both first party studio releases who didn't manage what pCars is attempting.

Fact that it's rendering at 950p or whatever it is, should tell you they were really scraping the barrel to get what they could out of the console.

Further optimising will involve the removal of certain elements of the game to find a sweet spot. Unless DX12 really is a saviour for Microsoft, which i hope it is.

Game breaking bugs don't get through testing if tested correctly. The fact that you said it isn't broken for some is laughable when SMS have said themselves that it is.
I was referring to the game being playable, obviously extreme examples where the game jumps back to dashboard can happen on a load of games and is usually fixable by hard resetting the console, or removing install and saves and reinstalling etc. For people that have tried those methods and it still doesn't work then sure, there's something wrong there - but why it would work for some, and not others cannot be down to sms purely, surely?

What would you point out as a game breaking bug that's not been tested? Very curious on this.

sammyv6s
27-05-2015, 16:16
The game isn't 'broken' as some claim, it's perfectly playable and on the whole is a superb technical feat they've accomplished. For me, issues like the frame rate, controller and sound bugs - I think microsoft should have some responsibility for allowing this to pass their testing, they have a customer perception to protect, and a brand identity to uphold. Customer perception is particularly poignant as they offer no refunds on digital purchases, for example, as pointed out here..

I don't want to instigate an argument here, but for me it is unplayable.
Frame rate issues, and losing audio when hitting the brakes, and crashes together with a bunch of minor issues do make the game unplayable for me.
It's not actually possible to drive a smooth lap with the jerkiness of the frame rate, so in my personal experience, yes, it is broken.

I do WANT to be playing this game, very much so. So I'm not trying to cause strife, I just disagree with the statement that its not broken. Its probably playable for some people, but definitely not for me some others.

Plato99
27-05-2015, 16:29
The only FPS issue I've come across is on the first tight right-hander in the trees at Bathurst. Slight drop in framerate but not a deal breaker. Plenty of other stuff to grind my gears though (quite literally at times!)

skijumptoes
27-05-2015, 16:34
Frame rate issues, and losing audio when hitting the brakes, and crashes together with a bunch of minor issues do make the game unplayable for me.
It's not actually possible to drive a smooth lap with the jerkiness of the frame rate, so in my personal experience, yes, it is broken.

Well, that's your opinion of course, and no-ones looking for an argument. For me personally it's been excellent - i can only think of one instance where frame rate has been a problem, and it was the same corner on the same race and yes, that affected my ability to handle the corner efficiently during qualifying, but i've not experienced it since.

Is it possible to give me a basic example so i can try what you would define the game as broken, i.e. track/conditions/car/opponents etc.?

Maybe i play online so much with mates and as such haven't experienced the game at it's worse yet, so would really like to get a taste of it being that bad as i just haven't experienced it in about 20-30 hours of racing.

Another thing also is that i played the game expecting it to be terrible, i had pre-ordered it on the store but couldn't play the first couple of days, and i was reading reports about shocking performance and audio bugs etc. And i think since the first day i did play i have always had the attitude that it's nowhere near as bad as some had claimed.

sammyv6s
28-05-2015, 11:58
Is it possible to give me a basic example so i can try what you would define the game as broken, i.e. track/conditions/car/opponents etc.?

Another thing also is that i played the game expecting it to be terrible, i had pre-ordered it on the store but couldn't play the first couple of days, and i was reading reports about shocking performance and audio bugs etc. And i think since the first day i did play i have always had the attitude that it's nowhere near as bad as some had claimed.

Example, sure!
I don't play online (or rather, haven't yet) so all my issues are in Career mode. All sessions suffer from the issue.
Conditions don't matter, issues is always present, although it is worse when there are many cars in the frame.
Generally, the video is stuttery/ jerky. Not so noticeable when you are going down a straight, but as soon as you hit the breaks its a slow-fast-slow-fast sort of video 'catchup.'
I'd upload a video but I'm away from home for the next week.

It is less noticeable after a restart of the console, but still apparent. But it completely throws you off under braking, which for me, makes it unplayable.

It's the only game on the xbox that does this for me, the rest are super smooth so I'm positive its not the TV or the console.

skijumptoes
28-05-2015, 12:23
oh, then i haven't experienced that level of stuttering - there must be something else going on which is affecting users experience - Like i say, i've had one real incident that affected my playing, first lap i thought it was a lagging issue online, but as it was a 10 lap race it occurred each and every time i went over this same section of the track.

Out of curiosity which camera mode are you using? As i use a wheel i'm usually using bumper cam, or rather the one that sits just above the bonnet. This isn't rendering my car, or the dashboard, and isn't over-ruled by the pretty effects seen in the helmet view - so maybe could affect the game if you were, for example, in cockpit view?

What i've also noticed is with the dash helmet view, the camera would sweep along the x axis before cornering to give you more view, which would give a strange perspective effect that felt like you were changing speed.

It's really odd that some users are getting occasional issues, whilst others feel the game is unplayable - I'm a really fussy gamer and am usually easily upset by the slightest of issues, i fully accept that the rate changes as you're driving, but not to the extreme that it affects my enjoyment, or ability to control it.

Although, funnily enough, when playing online with a lively group of mates - we're all dead quiet when racing, so maybe i'm just focused too much on the racing, split/lap times and remembering which gear to take each corner, to notice these kind of issues than if i was cruising along in career mode(?!).

sammyv6s
28-05-2015, 12:26
Almost always in cockpit cam.

Sometimes I'd switch to far following cam, whatever its called, just to check out the car, but I believe the issue persists then too.

Yeah sounds like we're one in the same; love our racing games and I really want to be able to enjoy this but personally I feel if the issues are still present when F1 2015 comes out, I may never return to PCars, which would be a shame.
But I guess they have my money already anyway, so probably not much concern haha