PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes SLS GT3, on Silverstone track

Silly_Goose
22-05-2015, 13:48
Hi,

I'm having problems with my setup for the Silverstone GP.

I can't get a better time than 02:01:500 with the Mercdes SLS GT3.

I'm mostly missing acceleration in the corner exits when I compare myself to the ghost of BAM Anto for instance.
On certain points on the track I can manage to cut off a bit of time but will lose it in other corners.

I tried hundreds of setups but can't seem to get a better time as with my current setup.

Do you have any tips for me on the Silverstone GP track?

Thanks in advance.

Ian Bell
22-05-2015, 13:49
If you haven't already fiddle with the diff lock. It's the key aspect for me to help get the power down out of corners.

Supaaafly
22-05-2015, 14:29
If you haven't already fiddle with the diff lock. It's the key aspect for me to help get the power down out of corners.

Spent a bit of time 'fiddling' with the diff on my own set up and found 65/50/80 works pretty well around Silverstone. Gives the car a little throttle-on oversteer to help the car turn.

Also, if you're understeering out of slow corners, knock the slow rear bump down 1 or 2 clicks, and/or the slow front rebound up. If oversteer is your problem then do the reverse.

Silly_Goose
23-05-2015, 13:33
First of all, thanks for the tip with the diff lock, I fiddled around with it and managed to cut off 0:0:300sec of my current time.

I'm getting really frustrated tho... suddenly everybody is able to get a sub 2min time on silverstone.
Im still having trouble with the exit corner speed since everybody seems to have way better acceleration out of a corner.

It would be nice if someone would share his setup even after the the community event, so that people can understand better what changes effect the Mercedes SLS GT3 the most.

Timmynator
23-05-2015, 13:40
It also depends on your driving style - not all setups suit all driving styles, so you'll have to adjust the car to your style rather than try to fit into someone else's style.

Other setups might give you an indication to which settings to adjust, though.

As for getting frustrated: Don't give up, keep practicing and trying out different things. Key is to really know the track and the corners, then you'll start finding settings which suit you and before you know it, you'll be turning better times.

Silly_Goose
23-05-2015, 14:03
I know pretty well that it all depends on your driving style and knowledge of the track but it would be nice to have a starting point which is able to get said sub 2min times and can be altered to your own driving style.

The thing is, that I am faster in the corners but lose all the time when exiting corners. I fiddled around with different diff lock settings but nothing seems to help me in a major way.
I thought I would lose all my grip or would take the corners too slow. So I fiddled around with the dampers and the suspension but when I get a setup that does not extensivly oversteer or understeer I am too slow in the corners or I will be able to take the wide corners fast but almost not able to take tight corners. A middle ground between both settings make me too slow again.... :confused:

whataboutthenextpatch
23-05-2015, 14:15
Hi,

I'm mostly missing acceleration in the corner exits when I compare myself to the ghost of BAM Anto for instance.
On certain points on the track I can manage to cut off a bit of time but will lose it in other corners.

I tried hundreds of setups but can't seem to get a better time as with my current setup.

Thanks in advance.

how are you using ghosts? I cant see the option to use them in community events

MULTIVITZ
23-05-2015, 14:26
Me neither (ghost). After you tame the agressive diff, have a play with the toe. I think its the opposite way around on the rear to what you would intuitively expect. Are you in your tyre temp window and staying there?

Silly_Goose
23-05-2015, 14:53
how are you using ghosts? I cant see the option to use them in community events

You can select the ghost via the community main page (where all the times of the drivers are listed). All you have to do, to select a ghost from a driver is to hover over a time with the mouse and select the "use this ghost" box which is highlighted in blue on the right hand side of the time. Once you clicked it, a checkmark should apear next to the drivers time.

If you are using a xbox360 controller you can select the gost the same way by selecting a drivers time and pressing "RB" on the controller. This should select the ghost aswell.

Hope that helps ;)

Silly_Goose
23-05-2015, 14:58
Me neither (ghost). After you tame the agressive diff, have a play with the toe. I think its the opposite way around on the rear to what you would intuitively expect. Are you in your tyre temp window and staying there?

The tyre temp is about 100 front left and around 90 on the rest three tyres according to pCars Profiler. I read that the idle temp of the tyres is around 80 to 90 and not more, but I can't manage to get them cooler as 88 in the rear and 100/96 in the front.

Any suggestions on the tyre pressure?

Spirit X
23-05-2015, 17:13
Any suggestions on the tyre pressure?

I think generally you want to go as low as possible without losing grip. You'll have to use the grip displays in the telemetry to work out where the perfect pressure is for one golden lap I guess.

Iwanchek
24-05-2015, 08:09
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Same here. Im currently on .02.4 and i cant go better, i know with a better setu i could reach better times, but what ever i do the car behaves stupid. Theyre just to much setting for setting up the car-idiotic. I drive without TC and stabitily control, have downforce max /(front/rear), car is set to 90 hight, and no to mention the set up fot the transmission is absolutely idiotic (ps4), i dont know if yall can move the gears like one by one not as the game says two-three clicks and youre on the end of a gear etc, i mean, idiotic.

And yes, im but frustrated, i know i can do better but its just tu much settings, and if i set the damn downforce max this bitch still slides and exits are unstable as hell...

So if anyone can share solid foundation (ps4) it would be helpful, and i dont know if pcs set ups are the same as on the ps4 or xb1?!

AlienMudPig
24-05-2015, 09:32
I found that reducing the camber to -2.0 on the front and -1.2 on the rear helped a lot.

Iwanchek
24-05-2015, 10:02
will try
thnx

EDIT:

No, id doesnt work for me. maybe with some other combination this adjustment work better, but so, no..the car es even more nervous and slippery.

EDI":

Ive put front 2.5 back 1.6

Toe frond -2.6
back 0.0

and my second lap brought me 0.2 but theres much time to gain here.....2.04....so, i hope i come under 2 today, still tweaking the car, btw ive set downforce to to max as well!

choupolo
24-05-2015, 12:48
Hi guys,

I'm also in the same boat I guess. (I'm on PS4 on a gamepad)

With stock settings my best (after many laps!) was a 2:01.654 which is still my best after a lot of time messing with setup and controller settings.

I mean I have changed my setup to suit my driving style more so I can be more consistent, and I prefer my edited setup but I still can't beat that time.

It's very interesting - normally I would be the first to say, well it's something that I'm doing or something that I could improve with driving technique - and I'm sure there is about 0.5s or so in that. I think my potential best with a few more laps would be a low 2:01.

But there's ghost of the guy doing 1:58s on time trials - I can keep up braking into the corner, but fast mid-corner turning circle and acceration out of Luffield corner is just immense! And it's not that he takes a wider entry to straighten the exit, his line is quite tight through there, yet his power out is just so much better (gains a second by Copse) even though I'm on full throttle pretty damn early myself! I'm scratching my head on that.

I don't have much control over the gear ratios in the SLS GT3 for some reasons and the final ratio is locked (is this the same for anyone else?). Shorter gear ratios would help here as I only make it to 5th down hangar straight for example.

Regarding my setup changes for anyone interested, the changes that made the main difference were - lowering my LSD acceleration lock to 10, helped with both stability and maneuverability powering out of corners. Lowered general ride height and stiffened springs modestly helped with cornering performance. Lowered front tyre pressure a few clicks and softened front sway bars a tad to help with turn-in understeer.

TheLethalDose
24-05-2015, 13:16
Silly question, but are you shifting at the right time? The car makes its peak power quite early in the revs.

choupolo
24-05-2015, 13:24
Interesting thought. I'm shifting as the 2nd (yellow) set of shifter lights come on. I guess that's relatively early?

You're right though, peak accelaration does feel fairly low down rather than at the rev limiter.

EDIT: I've just been experimenting with shifting at different revs - early being at the 1st set of shift light (green) and late being right up to the third set (orange). It's definitely much easier to gain time down a straight shifting later i.e. at the yellow or red shift lights. So shifting early is not convincing me it's any faster!

Iwanchek
24-05-2015, 15:16
ive notice that if u let the it rev to max the speed is slower, so, changing gears in the middle (yellow light) makes car accelerate good and constant!

choupolo
24-05-2015, 15:29
I agree with you. Unfortunately it doesn't make the difference required for a 1:58 though! (Or a 1.57.4 as the top time now stands!)

FMS TopSecret
24-05-2015, 15:34
I know pretty well that it all depends on your driving style and knowledge of the track but it would be nice to have a starting point which is able to get said sub 2min times and can be altered to your own driving style.

The thing is, that I am faster in the corners but lose all the time when exiting corners. I fiddled around with different diff lock settings but nothing seems to help me in a major way.
I thought I would lose all my grip or would take the corners too slow. So I fiddled around with the dampers and the suspension but when I get a setup that does not extensivly oversteer or understeer I am too slow in the corners or I will be able to take the wide corners fast but almost not able to take tight corners. A middle ground between both settings make me too slow again.... :confused:

In this case try setting yourself up for getting a faster exit than trying to go into and around the corner as fast a possible, think about the corner ahead of the one your about to do. try setting yourself up for the next corner and risk going a little slower through your current to get that extra speed on the exit of the next corner, especially if there is a straight after the corner. your exit speed is what will save time. also try putting try putting your longitudinal weight bias more to the rear as it gives more traction when accelerating out corner gives allowing you to put the power on a little earlier.

choupolo
24-05-2015, 19:06
I take solace in the fact that this weekend in real life the fastest time in the Blancpain GT in a Merc SLS GT3 around Silverstone GP was a 2:01.8. ;)

Silly_Goose
24-05-2015, 21:27
In this case try setting yourself up for getting a faster exit than trying to go into and around the corner as fast a possible, think about the corner ahead of the one your about to do. try setting yourself up for the next corner and risk going a little slower through your current to get that extra speed on the exit of the next corner, especially if there is a straight after the corner. your exit speed is what will save time. also try putting try putting your longitudinal weight bias more to the rear as it gives more traction when accelerating out corner gives allowing you to put the power on a little earlier.

^
|

This guy! Thanks a ton for the tip with the longitudinal weight bias!
After setting it to 54% rear I managed to gain the accelaration I was missing all the time.

I had to fiddle around with the suspension setting of course since the weight shift brought alot of oversteering but after the suspension changes all was good!

The shifting is something that sounds really interesting tho. I will look into that too.

AlienMudPig
24-05-2015, 23:53
So what laptime did you get Silly_Goose?

Care to share your setup? :)

choupolo
25-05-2015, 00:51
Update:

Well I've reached my target for tonight. 2:01.123. Top 14 on a gamepad. A sub 2:01 is definitely on the cards, but finding that additional 1.5s to the top gamepad time of 1:59.2 is probably not going to happen hehe. :rolleyes:

My latest time wouldn't have been possible on the stock setup I'm pretty sure, because after the changes my times were consistently 0.5s faster, and I didn't have to 'work as hard' to get there.

So the difference was made by:
Reducing the aero to almost the lowest to improve straight line speed - front 0 rear 3
LSD Accel - 60% Decel 60% Preload 120
Increasing longitudinal weight bias to max (shifting fully to rear) - 54%

With these changes the car was slower and more of a handful in the corners but with gradual throttle application out of tight turns I gained time down the straight hitting the limiter at Brooklands whereas I wasn't before.

Also to deal with the constantly overheating front tyres I had to: (GT3 Soft Slicks)
Increase front left pressure to 1.95, reduce front right pressure to 1.85
Reduce camber front left - 2.0
Reduce both rear camber - 2.5

The front left still overheats but it takes longer and will stay green for at least a whole lap or two.

Brakes
Pressure: 90%
Balance moved backwards as I was locking fronts: 55%
Duct reduced as they were getting cold: 40%

Suspension - this is more to do with preference, but generally I opted for stiffer lower springs. Probably still some improvement to be made here.
Height: Front 80 80, Rear 89 89
Spring: Front 300 300 Rear 240 240
Sway Bar: Front 44, Rear 25 or 26 (not decided yet which is better!)
Increased slow bump and rebound generally to reduce 'bouncing' mid corner: slow bump 14600, 14600, 11600, 11600 slow rebound 25150 25150 23350 23350

Hope this helps someone! ;)

TheLethalDose
25-05-2015, 01:23
I'll run some laps with your setup and let you know what I think.

mihalo
25-05-2015, 10:00
Does anyone else have problems with time trial / community events when you quit from race? My game crashes almost everytime and my time doesnt save. Just got 2.00.2 time and game crashed...

Here is my tune, I think that under 2 minutes is possible.

I'm playing on xbox one and with controller.

Edit: Just got 1:59:745 with this tune!

choupolo
25-05-2015, 11:02
Never had it crash when exiting a TT/DNE, maybe an Xbox specific issue? Is it a known issue?

Nice time. Would love to compare telemetry (if it was a feature)!

TheLethalDose
25-05-2015, 11:48
Does anyone else have problems with time trial / community events when you quit from race? My game crashes almost everytime and my time doesnt save. Just got 2.00.2 time and game crashed...

Here is my tune, I think that under 2 minutes is possible.

I'm playing on xbox one and with controller.

Edit: Just got 1:59:745 with this tune!

What do your diff settings look like? I'm finding I get a lot more speed out of corners with the accel set around the 30% range compared to the high settings posted here.

I almost give up with this car, I'm getting low 2.01's with the standard setup and seem to make it worse when I play with anything.

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong with this car as I find it far easier to get leaderboard times with Formula A but struggle with the GT3 to even be average.

TRCThrobbinhood
25-05-2015, 12:08
What do your diff settings look like? I'm finding I get a lot more speed out of corners with the accel set around the 30% range compared to the high settings posted here.

I almost give up with this car, I'm getting low 2.01's with the standard setup and seem to make it worse when I play with anything.

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong with this car as I find it far easier to get leaderboard times with Formula A but struggle with the GT3 to even be average.
Are you driving into the pits like everyone else to cross the line? It's quicker than missing the pits and going round.

TheLethalDose
25-05-2015, 12:18
Is that actually a thing? If so thats pretty messed up haha.

mihalo
25-05-2015, 12:38

Didn't notice that diff settings are not displayed on that image... Accel is at 35% and dec at 45%.

Are you driving into the pits like everyone else to cross the line? It's quicker than missing the pits and going round.

Didn't event know that.. I got my 1:59:745 time without cutting or going to pits. Need to try going to pits in free practise to see difference in time.

Edit: LOOOL! Was running about 2:01 time and drived to pits and my time was 1:57:300! Thats in free practise.

tweak_master
25-05-2015, 12:50
Just tried it and indeed, I was struggling to get below 2:00 and after first run with finish through pits right into 1:58's and 8th overall...
Shouldn't be like this, some racers are getting similar times the normal way (like Ibby) and this is not fair to them.
Normally driving under AI will not count laptimes, so bug?

TRCThrobbinhood
25-05-2015, 12:56
Just tried it and indeed, I was struggling to get below 2:00 and after first run with finish through pits right into 1:58's and 8th overall...
Shouldn't be like this, some racers are getting similar times the normal way (like Ibby) and this is not fair to them.
Normally driving under AI will not count laptimes, so bug?
I agree, it shouldn't be like it, they will probably alter it.
Thanks for posting the tune Mihalo, did you use any aids TC etc?

TheLethalDose
25-05-2015, 13:37
So now we have:

1. Corner cutting.
2. Championship points adding up if you have the game on multiple systems.
3. No seperate championship per system, not being able to see what times people are getting on the systems you don't own.
4. Driving into the pits to get a faster time.

I think this whole championship has reached the point where it should probably be scrapped until the exploits and issues can be fixed.

Charles Gillen
25-05-2015, 13:51
The driving through the pits...Well, thats just wrong.
Thing is that once you post a time with such an obvious cheat, you also post a replay of doing so.
You're showing the rest of these competitors that you can no longer be taken seriously. Your time, while posted as it is, is no longer valid to anyone who set a legitimate lap time. Enjoy your infamosity.
Charles

AlienMudPig
25-05-2015, 15:35
Hi LethalDose, I just saw your time post on the leader board. That's a phenomenal lap time! :cool:
Would you share your setup?

TheLethalDose
25-05-2015, 16:12
Hi LethalDose, I just saw your time post on the leader board. That's a phenomenal lap time! :cool:
Would you share your setup?

Mihalo's setup on the last page minus 1 click rear downforce and 22% diff accel. Be warned all the top times are driving through the pits (including mine).

JohnyHerbertLovesCake
22-07-2015, 00:34
Mihalo's setup on the last page minus 1 click rear downforce and 22% diff accel. Be warned all the top times are driving through the pits (including mine).

I don't even understand how that's even a bug in the first place. It invalidates your time easily enough when you go a bit wide but not driving in the pits, lol

JohnyHerbertLovesCake
22-07-2015, 00:46
Didn't event know that.. I got my 1:59:745 time without cutting or going to pits.

Was that time with assists on?