PDA

View Full Version : What would be a good track to make a basetune.

LextersQuest
22-05-2015, 15:20
Hi, Going to stop playing the carreer until freezing up gets fixed.

But still like to play it and occacionaly will join an onlinerace.
So im going to take the time to learn to tune my cars.
Im a absolute beginner in tuning.
I understand that for every track there will have little differences in the tune.
I was thinking of using one track to try to make a tune for the cars from where afterwards i can fine tune to the specific track i need it for.

Any advice on how to go about this would be welcome.:)
Thanks

BlueFin175
22-05-2015, 15:28
I use two, Imola and Dubai for a great mix of wide sweeping turns and tight challenging corners, plus some decent straights and difficult curbs.

oscarolim
22-05-2015, 15:29
F1 does it's tests mainly in Barcelona, so...

I've used it in Forza with good results.

Bigsteviet
22-05-2015, 15:31
I like Laguna, but Monza is great too.

KamyKaze1098
22-05-2015, 15:33
I would keep to small tracks, Like Brands Indy or Silverstone International. Something like that. So you can do fast laps to verify feel and times more quickly than on longer tracks.

Bealdor
22-05-2015, 15:33
Definitely Catalunya.

fast corners
slow corners
hairpin
chicanes
two average long straights
very punishing on tires when using a bad setup

LextersQuest
22-05-2015, 15:38
thanks for the replies.
Like Bealdor said a track were i would encouter all these different aspects of a circuit would be most interresting.

LextersQuest
22-05-2015, 15:40
I would keep to small tracks, Like Brands Indy or Silverstone International. Something like that. So you can do fast laps to verify feel and times more quickly than on longer tracks.

Indeed would get my time quicker than on long laps. But as it stands time is one thing i have enough off.:)

LextersQuest
22-05-2015, 15:42
Definitely Catalunya.

fast corners
slow corners
hairpin
chicanes
two average long straights
very punishing on tires when using a bad setup

thanks
Thats Catalunya GP you mean? Would Silverstone GP also be track were i find these aspects of a track?

Bealdor
22-05-2015, 15:44
thanks
Thats Catalunya GP you mean? Would Silverstone GP also be track were i find these aspects of a track?

Yes the GP layout.

Silverstone is not as demanding on the tires than Catalunya IMO.

LextersQuest
22-05-2015, 15:48
Yes the GP layout.

Silverstone is not as demanding on the tires than Catalunya IMO.

Ok thanks for the advice. Printed out some tuningguides so im going to use the time waiting in a possitive way and start teaching myself to understand the tuningpart better.

PeoplesChampion
22-05-2015, 16:10
Nurburgring ( parts of it ) was initially conceived as a versatile and dynamic test track. I cannot think of a more eclectic concoction of straight and curved lines.

Reinart86
22-05-2015, 16:15
Nurburgring was initially conceived as a versatile and dynamic test track. I cannot think of a more eclectic concoction of straight and curved lines.

It would be better to be able to test on the Behemoth. That way you'll also have some slow corners and hairpins to test your setup, since the nordschleife doesn't have any.

PeoplesChampion
22-05-2015, 16:25
It would be better to be able to test on the Behemoth. That way you'll also have some slow corners and hairpins to test your setup, since the nordschleife doesn't have any.

I agree, in some ways that hairpins should always be considered in tuning.. Though, tuning a car to perform optimally on hairpins and long sweepers would be extremely difficult. Generally, in all forms of racing I have been involved in; the hairpin is often not much part of the equation, unless it is a very prime spot for extracting time off the track. Now, I want to stress that I am, in no way, saying that hairpins aren't crucial elements to a track's layout. The hairpin is a very difficult obstacle and requires immense skill to execute perfectly. I'm just saying that most of the execution is down to the driver and not the car's setup.

GRTfast
22-05-2015, 16:48
Catalunya. That's been my go to tuning track in forza and it has proven to be great. If it goes good there, it goes good just about anywhere. Just tweak the gearing for each track and you're good to go.

Haiden
22-05-2015, 16:59
Nordschleife/Nürburgring is mine. It's got just about everything, including rough and smooth surfaces.

That being said, that isn't why I chose the track. For me, creating a base tune is more about getting a baseline feel for the car, not a versatile all-around setup to work with most tracks. Nordschleife is just a track I love, and I've run it so much I know it inside and out. Tuning a car on that track is how I become familiar with the car and it's handling. Personally, I think you should create your baseline tune on whatever track you know best. That way, you can put 100% of your focus on the car and how it's handling, instead of thinking about negotiating the track. You'll be better able to push the car to its limits and discover what it's capable of--strengths and weaknesses.

Find a track you love, master it, and then use it for your base tuning. Also, if you're gonna be running a track over and over and over for a few hours, might as well make it one you love. :)

Psychomatrix
22-05-2015, 17:04
I prefer oschersleben and barcelona as well.

Ma5hEd
22-05-2015, 17:13
I've always used either Suzuka or Catalunya for base tunes, Nordschleife & Leman's always get their own tunes.

I've not really touched tuning in this game yet though, i'm waiting for the controller update before i put any time into it.

Rockefelluh
22-05-2015, 17:15
Catalunya is probably tops. But I'm surprised no one has said Nurb GP. That track has many types of turns (fast, sweeping, right angles, chicanes) and two good length straights. PLUS good elevation change.

leftturney
22-05-2015, 17:18
Agreed, Barcelona GP is where my friend and I have run in FM5 and in Pcars. We are finding our tunes to carry over to other tracks well.

Gitseal
22-05-2015, 17:39
Imola for me.

LextersQuest
22-05-2015, 18:18
Nordschleife/Nürburgring is mine. It's got just about everything, including rough and smooth surfaces.

That being said, that isn't why I chose the track. For me, creating a base tune is more about getting a baseline feel for the car, not a versatile all-around setup to work with most tracks. Nordschleife is just a track I love, and I've run it so much I know it inside and out. Tuning a car on that track is how I become familiar with the car and it's handling. Personally, I think you should create your baseline tune on whatever track you know best. That way, you can put 100% of your focus on the car and how it's handling, instead of thinking about negotiating the track. You'll be better able to push the car to its limits and discover what it's capable of--strengths and weaknesses.

Find a track you love, master it, and then use it for your base tuning. Also, if you're gonna be running a track over and over and over for a few hours, might as well make it one you love. :)

Indeed got a few favourites (nr1 being Spa) Thanks for the advice.

Umer Ahmad
22-05-2015, 18:35
You may also want to consider Brands Hatch or Watkins Glen since they are the bumpiest tracks in the game. If you tune at something smooth like Silverstone and take it to Brands/Watkins you might be getting bump over/under-steer.

LextersQuest
22-05-2015, 18:56
You may also want to consider Brands Hatch or Watkins Glen since they are the bumpiest tracks in the game. If you tune at something smooth like Silverstone and take it to Brands/Watkins you might be getting bump over/under-steer.

Yes i understand that i will have to adjust the tune almost for every track but there im a complete newby at tuning thought it would be good to start with a certain track, make a tune so the car is stable. And from there like for example on Brands Hatch adjust it for more bumpier circuit. Thanks for the advice.