PDA

View Full Version : Wheels: Mad Catz vs Thrustmaster

bluwaters
22-05-2015, 17:01
Ok... So first let me tell you none of these are my first choice (nothing personally against them)
Fanatec has always been my first option (I'm a previous CSR & CSR Elite Pedals owner) but they have become even more ridiculously expensive for Xbox One alone... and i am not about to drop almost $1000.00 for a wheel which is a work-around with a Universal Hub.

I have done my research and seen lots of various reviews online with regards to the Mad Catz Xbox One Wheel and the Thrustmaster TX (and other versions)
I would like to get the opinion of some of the guys/gals in here to get their feedback and why they chose or would choose one over the other.

My personal choice right now.... i am leaning towards the Mad Catz....

Blu

turbohondaej1
22-05-2015, 17:14
Ok... So first let me tell you none of these are my first choice (nothing personally against them)
Fanatec has always been my first option (I'm a previous CSR & CSR Elite Pedals owner) but they have become even more ridiculously expensive for Xbox One alone... and i am not about to drop almost $1000.00 for a wheel which is a work-around with a Universal Hub.

I have done my research and seen lots of various reviews online with regards to the Mad Catz Xbox One Wheel and the Thrustmaster TX (and other versions)
I would like to get the opinion of some of the guys/gals in here to get there feedback and why they chose or would choose one over the other.

My personal choice right now.... i am leaning towards the Mad Catz....

Blu

I have the Thrustmaster with t3pa pedals and shifter I love it. I would never buy anything from mad cat just because of there previous rep with cheap game pads. There is nothing you can upgrade on the mad catz either I just think it's a cheaply made wheel and if you look at some of the early YouTube videos of a demonstration o a table it seriously looks lacking of ffb but I have never tried one to compare vs thrustmaster tx. My opinion is get the one with more support its probably going to be around longer for updates and such. The tx did have initial issue's I believe they are resolved now.

Haiden
22-05-2015, 17:58
I have the Thrustmaster with t3pa pedals and shifter I love it. I would never buy anything from mad cat just because of there previous rep with cheap game pads. There is nothing you can upgrade on the mad catz either I just think it's a cheaply made wheel and if you look at some of the early YouTube videos of a demonstration o a table it seriously looks lacking of ffb but I have never tried one to compare vs thrustmaster tx. My opinion is get the one with more support its probably going to be around longer for updates and such. The tx did have initial issue's I believe they are resolved now.

I agree. I have the Thrustmaster TX 458 Italia, and I love it. I chose Thrustmaster over the MadCatz, because of a few things: the ability to upgrade/swap out wheels and pedals--TM seems to have a better selection of options. The belt driven feedback, which from the reviews I read and watched said had a smoother feel than the gear-driven MadCatz, which felt gritty. And finally, quality. I just don't care for MadCatz products. They look cheap. In fact, I just ordered the GT style wheel for my setup a few days ago, hoping to get it today. The wheel is trimmed in real leather with a steel hoop for better FFB feel. Don't think MadCatz puts that kind of detail into their products.

bluwaters
22-05-2015, 19:05
All good answers.... thanks!!!

I do agree with what you both said about the cheapness of madcatz and what their products stood for.
I personally have never owned one and never thought of wasting my money on their inferior wheels. I have a friend who went through 2 of their wheels and I remember him complaining how cheaply it was made.
However, the new Xbox One wheel seems to be made with better quality material and "Supports Future Updates" according to the description on their site - seems promising. I did hear about the gritty feel and I am worried about that considering i just came from the Fanatec CSR wheel. I know that whatever wheel I get it will fail in comparison to the Fanatec's product.

Haiden, I just looked up the GT wheel and wish i could just order that without having to order the Ferrari wheel. It's the main reason i don't want to go with the Thrustmaster... not a fan of the Ferrari wheel and hate the fact that i have to buy a wheel i won't use.

IgorTheHunchback
22-05-2015, 19:36
I am waiting for my Thustmaster TX wheel to be delivered. I read reviews of both and the Thrustmaster gets good reviews while the Mad Catz not so good. the gritty feel the Mad Catz gives from its gears is not a good sign of quality or longevity. I also don't think the fake suede covering the Mad Catz has will wear well (fingernails and sweaty palms will take there toll on the suede I'm sure). Links to Mad Catz and Thrustmaster reviews below (hope they help).

Thrustmaster TX 458 Italia - Review by Inside Sim Racing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PolMv5B0IEg

Mad Catz Pro Racing Force Feedback Wheel - Review by Inside Sim Racing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kyHwH5zCOk

jdasenbrock
22-05-2015, 20:32
MadCatz owner here. I purchased the MadCatz primarily due to it's flexibility. Not only can it be mounted to a table or desk and directly to any of the available race seats, but it also ships with lap rests. Personally, I have no room for a race seat and prefer to use the lap rests. This may make me a bit of an outcast in virtual racing circles, but I find that it works extremely well. Thrustmaster did not offer this option.

The build quality is superb. The wheel is aluminum with a suede-like cover. The motor unit is compact, but quite powerful and tilt of the wheel can be adjusted. The pedals are of good quality and can be adjusted for resistance as well as height and width.

The force feedback is excellent, especially with Project Cars. The wheel needed very little adjustment after initial calibration.

I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

RadDoctor
22-05-2015, 20:40
I have had both. Ordered the MadCatz first. Force feedback was HORRIBLE! Could not feel driving over the curb in Forza or any other finer nuances. Got the Italia TX wheel with the GTE add on wheel. WAYYYYY BETTER force feedback. So powerful you have to turn it down whereas with the MadCatz there was never enough force. TX is way smoother feeling as well. DO NOT waste your money on the MadCatz.

nissan4ever
22-05-2015, 22:25
I own a Thrustmaster TX. I have all the add ons, except new TM 28 Leather GT Rim. I've had mine since lauch. I love it. The smoothness of the FFB & Vibration is very impressive IMO. The difference between FM5 & Project Cars FFB is incredible. I can't believe how Project Cars feels in comparison to FM5.

On Forza, my fan on the wheel would always be on because they did a terrible job with FFB. On Project Cars, it comes on & off as needed. I just love how it performs with Project Cars.

I would never buy anything from Mad Catz. Their reputation with products from back in the day is terrible. I would never spend my money on it.

I have my wheel mounted to a Wheel Stand Pro Deluxe V2.

I think it would be a better transition for you to go to a TX since it's belt driven like a Fanatec. Mad Catz has those noisy gears. To different feelings.

Haiden
23-05-2015, 02:31
Haiden, I just looked up the GT wheel and wish i could just order that without having to order the Ferrari wheel. It's the main reason i don't want to go with the Thrustmaster... not a fan of the Ferrari wheel and hate the fact that i have to buy a wheel i won't use.

I know. That does suck. I wish they sold the base separately. The wheel came today. It's pretty awesome. Feels great.

bluwaters
26-05-2015, 15:14
.....I have my wheel mounted to a Wheel Stand Pro Deluxe V2.
I think it would be a better transition for you to go to a TX since it's belt driven like a Fanatec. Mad Catz has those noisy gears. To different feelings.

Yeah i know what you mean. Going from Fanatec I think anything I get will not be in any comparison, but just a stepping stone... so I have to just tell myself its only temporarily until Fanatec launches a PROPER Xbox One wheel.
This is my current setup.

Stag
26-05-2015, 15:36
Mad catz here and apart from lack of full size it's great a lot better than the self destructing thrustmasters with all the cheap plastic wheel and pedals yes you can upgrade I suppose but I wouldn't expect one to last the warrenty without replacement Shocking build quality on thrusts and although my cat did have noisy gears. That seemed to stop and now rubs pretty smooth
As for the fanatec I use on pc 3x the mad catz price but not 3 x better.

Tillj
26-05-2015, 15:59
After a few hours of use of the Mad Catz the gears were a lot quieter, guess they need to bed in. I love the wheel, the ability to have new rims (when they make them) is very attractive. The style of the wheel is in a proper GT style. The size isn't an issue for me to be honest in fact i'd go far as say perfect. The pedals are the shit, highly adjustable in terms of angle, face plate position and spring strength. The wheel is adjustable in terms of rake from horizontal to 15 degrees. The finish is definitely a lot better than thrust master plastic, its made from aluminium and the grips are made with genuine suede leather fabric. Very comfortable 270 and 900 degrees.
Force Feedback is really good, although I have never used FFB in the past.

Its certainly a lot better than their 360 wheels that's for sure! For the price, well worth it you can get it for around 250-270

bluwaters
26-05-2015, 16:03
Yeah i am leaning more and more towards the Mad Catz... i know they have a HORRIBLE reputation because of their shitty wheels in the past, but it seems they have stepped their game up and made a decent product this time around. I am not worried about the gears because Fanatec and Microsoft's Xbox Wheel did have a clicking sound and i liked it.

turbohondaej1
26-05-2015, 16:34
Mad catz here and apart from lack of full size it's great a lot better than the self destructing thrustmasters with all the cheap plastic wheel and pedals yes you can upgrade I suppose but I wouldn't expect one to last the warrenty without replacement Shocking build quality on thrusts and although my cat did have noisy gears. That seemed to stop and now rubs pretty smooth
As for the fanatec I use on pc 3x the mad catz price but not 3 x better.

I believe they fixed all the problems with the wheels on launch it would be hard to find a bad wheel now. On top of that thrustmaster has great customer service even though I had to go through 3 wheel bases myself. I haven't had an issue with the wheel I have now been over a year 300 hours I m guessing.

Tillj
27-05-2015, 09:25
To be honest, the gears wern't even loud to begin with, I guess it depends on the surface you attach it to, if you like on people videos "high lighting this issue" attach it to a coffee table, most likely from MDF or some softwood its going to amplify noises (more so if not tightly attached).

I believe they fixed all the problems with the wheels on launch it would be hard to find a bad wheel now. On top of that thrustmaster has great customer service even though I had to go through 3 wheel bases myself. I haven't had an issue with the wheel I have now been over a year 300 hours I m guessing.

In response to this, Thrustmaster customer service is good, fanatec has varying experiences but on the whole satisfactory. As for Madcatz customer support, they are decent as well (from what I heard).

raptor unit
27-05-2015, 09:48
I use the Thrustmaster TX and I find it a great cost effective wheel also I like how you can change the wheel to other ones e.g the F1 wheel.

Stag
27-05-2015, 10:04
My cat was first on a wheel stand But was better when I put on my rig But the gears did seem to get better I thought it was forza myself and maybe they did an update b
As for thrust c service. I sent 3 back and the first two were exchanged. The last I wanted refund which took ages but It was through where I got them
But I still remember the shock when the thrust first arrived. It looked like a toy the pedals are pathetic. But as others said you can upgrade. The worst thing was the tension switching on. Strange smells etc
The catz IMO is a bargain at the price .

Dan77 DESTROYER
27-05-2015, 11:22
My tx wheel is on the van as we speak, should be here around 2/3pm :D

crunchy1X
27-05-2015, 11:41
I did hear about the gritty feel and I am worried about that considering i just came from the Fanatec CSR wheel. I know that whatever wheel I get it will fail in comparison to the Fanatec's product.
I've been using the Thrustmaster TX 458 on Xbox One since December of 2013. Prior to that I used the Fanatec CSR for 2 years. In my opinion, the Thrustmaster has a much better feel than the Fanatec. The wheel is smoother and the force feedback is stronger. The pedals suck - but are sufficient to get the job done (I haven't used the T3PA pedals yet - I'm sure they're better than the stock versions).

I've heard nothing but bad things about the Mad Catz wheel. Buyer beware!

I'd say - Definitely go with the TX!

kelvyn
27-05-2015, 11:45
I own a Thrustmaster TX. I have all the add ons, except new TM 28 Leather GT Rim. I've had mine since lauch. I love it. The smoothness of the FFB & Vibration is very impressive IMO. The difference between FM5 & Project Cars FFB is incredible. I can't believe how Project Cars feels in comparison to FM5.

On Forza, my fan on the wheel would always be on because they did a terrible job with FFB. On Project Cars, it comes on & off as needed. I just love how it performs with Project Cars.

I would never buy anything from Mad Catz. Their reputation with products from back in the day is terrible. I would never spend my money on it.

I have my wheel mounted to a Wheel Stand Pro Deluxe V2.

Mate love your set up, how do you find the F1 wheel, very tempted by this over the TM 28 wheel.

Another vote for the Thrustmaster TX 458 its just awesome. I will upgrade the wheel at some point, the 458 wheel is ok but as others have said its is a bit plasticy for my liking. The pedals however feel good to me.

SN1P3R SK33T
29-05-2015, 01:37
I really liked the look of the MadCatz wheel especially the pedals. But it seemed to take forever to be released so I bought the TX. Pretty glad I did too. They've already released a shifter, two pedal sets and 3 rims as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe MadCatz has even looked l8ke they're going to release any add-ons for their wheel. I remember hearing something around the time the Xbox One was released but since then, nothing.

A friend of mine had one for a little while and I had a quick blast on it. I did find it was noticeably weaker than the TX wheel. Also the actual rim feels a lot more solid than the 458 rim that comes with the TX. But then the GTE rim for the TX feels better than the MC in quality. The only thing really that stands out with the madcatz is the pedals.