PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Wheel Settings? (Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Spider)

rpm3dinc
23-05-2015, 01:23
So I finally got tired of fighting the "Pad-Controller" settings for Project Cars.. and I decided to try a the Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Spider wheel.

So far I like it, (Sure its a cheap wheel), but until I know I like the wheel better than controller (Which I have been racing on since Forza 1), I don't want to drop $500+ just yet... especially considering I used to SimRace NASCAR and GTR on Computer and have a $1,500 setup just sitting here collecting dust cause I simply don't want to keep upgrading computers specifically for Sim Racing (Thus the Xbox One and Xbox 360 racing games).

I calibrated the wheel and I can get around the track with no issues this far... But I am still roughly 3 seconds off my fasted controller (Pad) time...

So Suggestions on Wheel settings?

Haiden
23-05-2015, 02:04
Not sure what you're asking. The 458 Spider doesn't have force feedback. What settings are you looking to adjust?

rpm3dinc
23-05-2015, 02:18
Is there any settings I should adjust? I realize the wheel I have doesn't have FFB. But in the configuration screen for the wheel (sensitivity and deadzones, controller filtering etc). Should I adjust anything at all in here?

Eventually I will get a TX wheel with FFB, but for now $89.00 is all I want to put into it until I know I really like the wheel enough to invest more into it...

I drive a 2013 Ford Mustang BOSS 302 IRL and I enjoy taking the BOSS 302-R on Laguna Seca in Project cars right now... It's does actually feel like a Mustang driving around the track which is nice...

tedward
23-05-2015, 08:41
This is what I am using so far..
Dead zones all 0
Steering, Brake, Throttle, Clutch sensitivity all around 50 or 55
Speed and Controller sensitivity are at 35

Hope that helps.

jonnotheone
23-05-2015, 08:56
I have this wheel an tbh I don't mind its not got ffb for abit of realism iv got a rumble pad for my chair....the settings I have are spot on I'll post them up for u inhabit I'm now setting laps 1 to 2 seconds of record times an they were set with faster cars than I use...

tedward
23-05-2015, 10:51
Has anyone tried changing the wheel sensitivity? By holding down LB+RB+Y+B?

Saul93
23-05-2015, 14:26
I picked one up yesterday as well brother and I'm extremely happy with it the value is amazing it is definatly a game changer let me tell you! I use the default settings pretty much I turned the sensitivity down a little actually because I find the thing responsive as hell, I hope your enjoying as much as myself, cheers

tedward
23-05-2015, 19:51
I found this thread.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?23473-Thrustmaster-458-Italia-Spider-for-Xbox-One-Resources

It seems the default setting for sensitivity is probably best which I already assumed because it feels right. The manual advised to turn it down for Forza 5 which is why I was curious. I haven't even tried the wheel on either of my Forza games yet. Been too hooked on this.

Haiden
23-05-2015, 21:33
Saw this today. Might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3xzmfEqeRo

Leroy Funkdafied
24-05-2015, 04:35
I just bought this wheel too. I didn't change any settings in-game. I'm using Sensitivity 1 for open-wheel and 3 for road cars.

rpm3dinc
24-05-2015, 15:06
I have this wheel an tbh I don't mind its not got ffb for abit of realism iv got a rumble pad for my chair....the settings I have are spot on I'll post them up for u inhabit I'm now setting laps 1 to 2 seconds of record times an they were set with faster cars than I use...

That would be great if you don't mind sharing your settings!

d4ninho
25-05-2015, 10:50
just got myself this wheel, never had a wheel before and its ok, the worst thing is getting used to actually driving rather than just flicking a stick to turn.

ive found i need to turn in earlier to make corners and brake earlier just due to the time it takes to actually turn the wheel, i am slower on all tracks right now but i feel improvements every time i use the wheel so hopefully in a month or 2 ill be back and maybe even beating my controller times

jonnotheone
25-05-2015, 11:42
My settings are this
The wheel its self sensitivity... 1
In game settings
Steering deadzone...20
Throttle deadzone....0
Throttle sensitivity..... 15
Brake deadzone....0
Brake sensitivity..... 15
Clutch deadzone....0
Clutch sensitivity.... 50
Speed sensitivity.. 0
Controller filter..,..0
Damper saturation...0
There's no need to touch ffb as it don't have it..
These settings work a treat for me but might not for others its best to have a play and find a comfy setting for yourself...

rpm3dinc
27-05-2015, 03:13
Here is what I have found improved my times over a controller... In once instance by nearly 8 seconds once I got the tires warmed up and the Apexes dialed in.

Project Cars Settings: wheel sens: 1
Wheel: 280 (240) calibration
SD: 0
SS: 55 (70)
TD: 0
TD: 55
BD: 0
BS: 80
CD: 0
CS; 50
Speed Sense: 0 (35)
CFS: 0
On
On
On
Off

Royall58
27-05-2015, 08:52
I have my steering deadzone set to 5 which helps out if you have a twitchy car with counter steering. I torn between the steering deadzone 0 and 5 at the moment.

What does the 4 different setting do on the wheel? I've changed them but didn't feel a difference.

rpm3dinc
27-05-2015, 10:33
The 4 settings set the wheel responsiveness... Basically the wheels reaction to your inputs.
1 is quick reaction
2 is medium
3 is slow
4 is slowest

I run 1 and 2 depending on the car. It also seems to "smooth" out the reaction to inputs, so if your twitchy, try adjusting to the next preset before changing settings on the controller page.

Royall58
27-05-2015, 11:12
Cheers, I knew what the 4 setting were but didn't know what the difference was as in feel of the wheel. I can imagine it is more obvious at higher speeds?

I was originally testing it at low speed, probs where I was going wrong.

damanfra
27-05-2015, 12:38
I will test all the sugestions tonight.

btw, could somebody please share your button mapping? Like, button for KERS, DRS, rear camera, etc...

tedward
15-06-2015, 03:05
Well I have started over with all the settings. I'm nowhere near the ones stated in my previous post. And I am still tweaking them. Starting to feel like an addict. :hopelessness:

Nicho Lucas Dad
15-06-2015, 04:19
I had a lot of headaches with settings, my driving wasnt so good but my settings helped that show, i did these last night and its helped me a lot.

THESE SETTINGS ARE WITH NO ASSISTS ON !!!!!

steering deadzone = 10
steering sensitivity =70
throttle deadzone =10
throttle sensitivity =5
brake deadzone =14
brake sensitivity =0
speed sensitivity =35
controller filtering =70
damper saturation =0

controller input =3
advanced =on
soft steering damper =on
visual wheel filtering =on
opposite lock = off

EDIT: Settings

BellCurve
15-06-2015, 07:46
Is there any settings I should adjust? I realize the wheel I have doesn't have FFB. But in the configuration screen for the wheel (sensitivity and deadzones, controller filtering etc). Should I adjust anything at all in here?

Eventually I will get a TX wheel with FFB, but for now $89.00 is all I want to put into it until I know I really like the wheel enough to invest more into it...

I drive a 2013 Ford Mustang BOSS 302 IRL and I enjoy taking the BOSS 302-R on Laguna Seca in Project cars right now... It's does actually feel like a Mustang driving around the track which is nice...

Honestly, mate, it's more a learning curve than anything else. Appreciate the fact that you've been playing with a pad for so long, and now you're totally switching it up. Also, despite the lap times; isn't it just so much more fun? :)

Nicho Lucas Dad
17-06-2015, 02:18
*Repost edited*

THESE SETTINGS ARE WITH NO ASSISTS ON !!!!!

steering deadzone = 10
steering sensitivity =70
throttle deadzone =10
throttle sensitivity =5
brake deadzone =14
brake sensitivity =0
speed sensitivity =35
controller filtering =70
damper saturation =0

controller input =3
advanced =on
soft steering damper =on
visual wheel filtering =on
opposite lock = off

Hammerpgh
17-06-2015, 15:53
Just ordered this wheel myself (hopefully it will arrive tomorrow or Friday at the lastest) after waiting and waiting for the TX to come back into stock over here in the UK (and at a non-silly price!!). Can't wait to finally get going in this game having had it for over a month. I just cannot use the pad at all (been racing for many, many years but always with a wheel) so it's been torture not being able to play the game properly.

Great thread and will be using it to help get my wheel set up :)

OpticalHercules
17-06-2015, 16:48
I will test all the sugestions tonight.

btw, could somebody please share your button mapping? Like, button for KERS, DRS, rear camera, etc...

A-DRS
B-KERS
X-Handbrake
Y-Change Camera
up-Headlights
down-wipers
left-cycle hud
right-look back
menu-menu
other button/select/window/whatever it's called- call to pit

I don't know if the forced assignments still exist (like the game forcing you to have certain keybinds active), but if that's been fixed I'd like to swap my dpad around to left/right=look left/right and up/down for hud and lookback. but for now I think lights and/or wipers are mandatory. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong!

I'm gonna have to give some of these sensitivity settings a try, apart from deadzone 5 I've been running near stock. might be worth while giving other things a try as I've never even played around with them.

tedward
17-06-2015, 17:51
There is a work-around for the mandatory assignments. Instead of pushing the back (B) button On the assignment screen, push your menu button (start) and select options and then back out from the general options screen. It will save your selections.

OpticalHercules
17-06-2015, 18:04
There is a work-around for the mandatory assignments. Instead of pushing the back (B) button On the assignment screen, push your menu button (start) and select options and then back out from the general options screen. It will save your selections.

Thank you! I will give this a shot this afternoon!

Haiden
17-06-2015, 21:40
Thank you! I will give this a shot this afternoon!

Man, I wish you had said something. I would have told you weeks ago. :)

TrevorAustin
17-06-2015, 22:07
Deadzone, and everything else within the ffb setting will have zero effect:)
But surely it wouldn't cost you much to get your $1500 sim racing setup to pcars specs and try that?

tedward
17-06-2015, 22:23
But surely it wouldn't cost you much to get your $1500 sim racing setup to pcars specs and try that?

What are you on about? We aren't talking about settings within ffb settings.

OpticalHercules
17-06-2015, 22:44

Wheel, Pedal, and Brake Deadzone and Sensitivity have nothing to do with FFB on this wheel. They are no different than stick and trigger deadzone/sensitivity on a controller.

I don't even understand what you're talking about who's $1500 setup.

OpticalHercules
18-06-2015, 00:54
Wow I feel like such a fool right now.

Since day of release, I had my wheel's 90* calibration set to what visually appeared to be 90* with a value of 214 or 218, I don't remember which. After watching the video posted on page one and seeing some other configurations posted here I decided to play around with my setup. First thing I did was reset my 90* calibration to 240* readout, and then entered a free practice with a few of my favorite and most well known cars on a very familiar track... For the first time ever in this game, I was fighting oversteer rather than understeer across all my cars. Then it hit me... My poor calibration was the cause of the very bad understeer I have had on nearly every car, and have tried hard to tune out of every car. It wasn't the cars, it wasn't the game, it wasn't really even me entering corners too fast for the car. It was my calibration. So now I get to relearn and retune pretty much every car I've driven. Even default tunes on well known cars felt worlds better than the terrible job I've done trying to tune out the understeer. Oh well. Lesson Learned. ALWAYS calibrate this wheel's 90* setting to 240* reading.

Also tried some of the settings that Nicho posted above, having never changed any of them except steering deadzone. While his tune may work for some, it just felt too "mushy" to me, but it did give me an opportunity to start playing with his base settings one by one and learn what they did. Using his as a starting place I did find settings I like for myself, a little tighter and more responsive feel.

I so, so wish I had played with some of these before, but I thank this thread very much for the kick in the backside to start trying them out, and to unscrew my calibration settings!

tedward
19-06-2015, 00:20
Haha yes, it definitely helps to have the 90 degree calibration set correctly. I had mine at 230 for a little while.

I am still dialing in my other control settings but I will post them soon. I have found that they don't make a huge difference though; the deadzones, sensitivities, etc. are really just personal preference when using a wheel. (As opposed to some settings being more of a necessity for pad users.)

tedward
19-06-2015, 03:14
Ok here are my current gameplay assist and controller settings...

Authenticity:
All assists are OFF.
Damage FULL Mechanical Failures YES Tire Wear REAL Fuel Usage REAL Auto Start Engine YES Flags and Penalties ON

Configuration:
Steering Deadzone = 0
Steering Sensitivity = 75
Throttle Deadzone = 0
Throttle Sensitivity = 55
Brake Deadzone = 0
Brake Sensitivity = 40
Clutch Deadzone = 0
Clutch Sensitivity = 50
*Auto clutch is ON, gearbox Manual*

Speed Sensitivity = 30
Controller Filtering = 45
Damper Saturation = 0

Controller Input Mode = 1
Advanced = ON
Soft Steering Damper = ON
Visual Wheel Filtering = ON
Opposite Lock Help = OFF

I welcome your questions and input.

OpticalHercules
19-06-2015, 04:38
Controller Input Mode = 1

What difference did that make to your gameplay, and what hardware wheel sensitivity do you play with? does 1(game) and 1(wheel blinky light) make it even more sensitive as a base setting?

tedward
19-06-2015, 05:14
What difference did that make to your gameplay, and what hardware wheel sensitivity do you play with? does 1(game) and 1(wheel blinky light) make it even more sensitive as a base setting?

Ah. Good question. So the wheel itself I leave on sensitivity 1 (1 blinking light). Haven't found a need to change it. I like how responsive it is. As far as the in game controller input mode in the settings, I tried 3 and it just seemed slower and less responsive so I went back to input mode 1. I need to set the opposition difficulty higher now it seems. I'm in my 4th career season, my 1st season in GT3. Loving it.

So yes I guess it makes it more sensitive as a base.

bodyshop
22-07-2015, 12:53
Its a great little wheel, really worth every penny, i read loads of bad reviews of both XBOX FFB wheels so just went for this, i am used to the xbox 360 FFB wheel but i did miss FFB at first but then you adapt and it is way way above and beyond controller.
Also reading some stuff on here a FFB wheel is the last thing you want with PCars right now!!

This cheap as chips thing is awesome, may be just maybe i may try to find a FFB TX or mad cats at some point but for now, this is great.