PDA

View Full Version : Warming up your tires

Joethe147
23-05-2015, 02:25
In practice and qualifying sessions, it can be particularly hard to warm up your tires. Especially considering the entire field immediately go out on track at the start and the track constantly has the majority of the field on track, so you're often having to let cars pass you while trying to get heat into tires. However, with cold or not sufficiently heated tires, you can easily slide off or spin, which can be hazardous if you have someone behind you.

It's quite annoying in qualifying as in many series, you only have 15 minutes so there's not much time to get sorted, if you're having trouble.

Are there any particular tactics you use when you go out on track with very cold tires?

Jesse Fahrenkrog
23-05-2015, 02:30
I run as hard as I can without getting to out of shape. I don't know if it works or not but in real life that would warm them up. It usually gets me into a decent rhythm for the laps to follow as well.

crowhop
23-05-2015, 02:34
It often takes 3 or 4 full laps for me to get the tires up to temp with the Default setup for most every car. Highly annoying, but also part of the deal. If I really take the time during practice to dial in the temps correctly, it isn't so bad. But the inconvenience of having to turn on/off the Telemetry HUD is annoying.

JDFSSS
23-05-2015, 03:24
lower your tire pressures for quali. you shouldn't be running the same tire pressure for a 1 or 2 lap run that you would use for a full race.

gbm
23-05-2015, 03:46
Can this be done during "warm up", or just "practice?"

...and what's the difference?

Krobo
23-05-2015, 04:17
In pCars the tires are pre warmed in Q and R the only session they start cold in is free practice !

from pCars wiki ..

Why do I spin out immediately when flooring the throttle, coming out of the garage?

That's how cold tyres (don't) work. Take it easy for one or two laps to get same heat into the rubber, and only then start pushing hard(er). Be aware Free Practice starts you without pre-warmed tyres in most cars (they're warmed though for some). For Qualifying, Race and Time Trial modes, the tyres are pre-heated.

http://en.pcars.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Physics#Some_cars_have_too_much_grip.2C_I_can.27t_get_the_back_out.3F

wraithsrike
23-05-2015, 06:34
In pCars the tires are pre warmed in Q and R the only session they start cold in is free practice !

Only applies to full on race spec cars all others are on colds.

Fearless1885
23-05-2015, 06:48

from pCars wiki ..

Why do I spin out immediately when flooring the throttle, coming out of the garage?

That's how cold tyres (don't) work. Take it easy for one or two laps to get same heat into the rubber, and only then start pushing hard(er). Be aware Free Practice starts you without pre-warmed tyres in most cars (they're warmed though for some). For Qualifying, Race and Time Trial modes, the tyres are pre-heated.

http://en.pcars.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Physics#Some_cars_have_too_much_grip.2C_I_can.27t_get_the_back_out.3F

Agree with what you have said there although, i got penalised for being pushed off the track and had a 90 second speed lock type thing (forget what it was called)

During this time my tyres were getting cold, after i had been lapped i tried to do the zig-zag to keep my tyres warm but didnt help one bit, i think there should be certain stages of a tyre getting warm and showing warmth on the indicator

RDogg
23-05-2015, 10:25
On my out lap I'll usually go normal pace and then find a nice straight to do a few burnouts. Usually gets the rear tires warm within a lap and don't find I have any less grip for it (Doesn't feel flat spotted, etc..)

Machinist90
23-05-2015, 10:28
taking the outsides of some wide turns helps me warm up the tires on one side,pushes the weight of the car on it

jimmyb_84
23-05-2015, 10:32
I watched a video of pro tips called safe is fast (I think or the other way around) anyway they spoke to a tyre supplier and he said accelerating and braking hard in a straight line adds tyre warmth quicker than weaver, he also said drag the brake to transfer head from brake-rim-tyre (I'm not sure if PCARS is modelled for that thought?)

Bealdor
23-05-2015, 10:32

from pCars wiki ..

Not true. Tires are pre heated for every car in races and time trial only. Practice and qualifying sessions only have pre heated tires on those cars that simulate tire warmers (GT3 or Formula A for example).

jimmyb_84
23-05-2015, 10:35
GT3 don't have tyre warmers, they have heated tents that the tyre sit in. Most Sportscar series don't have tyre warmers and use a similar process.

mister dog
23-05-2015, 10:41
During this time my tyres were getting cold, after i had been lapped i tried to do the zig-zag to keep my tyres warm but didnt help one bit, i think there should be certain stages of a tyre getting warm and showing warmth on the indicator
That's what i do too (zig zagging), but also here i have no clue if it actually has any effect (doesn't really seem so).

Bealdor
23-05-2015, 10:50
GT3 don't have tyre warmers, they have heated tents that the tyre sit in. Most Sportscar series don't have tyre warmers and use a similar process.

True. The effect is the same though and is modelled ingame by always giving them pre heated tires.

gpk99
23-05-2015, 11:49
Ok....I've also seen this happen after your tires are warmed up...they go cold...what's up with that....and i'm pushing hard too...not doggin it around..

Bealdor
23-05-2015, 11:55
Ok....I've also seen this happen after your tires are warmed up...they go cold...what's up with that....and i'm pushing hard too...not doggin it around..

Depends on track, time of day and season. Le Mans and Monza are good examples of having problems to keep tires warm.

Roger Prynne
23-05-2015, 12:10
Watch some interviews with real drivers at certain tracks and they will say that it is hard to get any heat into the tires and keep it there.

Machinist90
23-05-2015, 12:24
does overheating cause any tire damage or affecting grip? (in the game that is)

Roger Prynne
23-05-2015, 12:25
^^^ Yes it does.... just like real life.

N0body Of The Goat
23-05-2015, 12:26
Maybe it is just me, but even in TT, I find my best times come after 4/5 laps (excluding Nordschliefe).

During the first 3/4 laps, the tyre temps drop and so does grip, but then as the tyres warm up again my times improve.

Machinist90
23-05-2015, 12:27
^^^ Yes it does.... just like real life.

just asking cause I've had it a few times but didn't seem to cause any problems or busted tires

Roger Prynne
23-05-2015, 12:32
Maybe it is just me, but even in TT, I find my best times come after 4/5 laps (excluding Nordschliefe).

During the first 3/4 laps, the tyre temps drop and so does grip, but then as the tyres warm up again my times improve.
Yeah about 3/4 laps for me as well.... to be expected though.

jimmyb_84
23-05-2015, 12:40
Yep me too normally in first few laps

bongofury
23-05-2015, 20:49
I don't mind having to warm up my tires or deal with a wet slippery track, what gets me is that it seems that the AI does not have any grip issues and try to go right through you while you are trying to get tires and brakes up to temp (or into the pits to get wet tires).

Bealdor
23-05-2015, 20:52

You getting into the groove is the biggest reason for that imo. At least in my case.