PDA

View Full Version : Better organization of tune setups

SIlMPLIClITY
23-05-2015, 03:55
Hi, I'd like to recommend a better way of organizing The Garage forum.

I think it would be best to split up each individual car class (road, open wheel, GT, Prototype...) into separate areas.

Why?
I think that if someone is looking for a specific tune that works, shouldn't have to use the search bar. If they would pop in the Open Wheel setup, look through one or two pages for the most popular Formula One setup page. Go look through it and get their setup

Also, for those that do post setups. If you are a tuner and are willing to give out setups then wouldn't your tune be more open to your target audience? It's essentially a filter, keeping out all of the other classes, and general questions about tuning (which could get it's own forum of The Garage - General Discussions)

I know it's a drastic change, but I feel like using the search bar doesn't do me any good. Also, with this combination, it would be easier to collect tunes of various tracks from one car and make it possible to organize it into one thread and have a tune for every track.

What do you guys think?

JeyD02
23-05-2015, 04:39
Hi, I'd like to recommend a better way of organizing The Garage forum.

I think it would be best to split up each individual car class (road, open wheel, GT, Prototype...) into separate areas.

Why?
I think that if someone is looking for a specific tune that works, shouldn't have to use the search bar. If they would pop in the Open Wheel setup, look through one or two pages for the most popular Formula One setup page. Go look through it and get their setup

Also, for those that do post setups. If you are a tuner and are willing to give out setups then wouldn't your tune be more open to your target audience? It's essentially a filter, keeping out all of the other classes, and general questions about tuning (which could get it's own forum of The Garage - General Discussions)

I know it's a drastic change, but I feel like using the search bar doesn't do me any good. Also, with this combination, it would be easier to collect tunes of various tracks from one car and make it possible to organize it into one thread and have a tune for every track.

What do you guys think?

Like iracing kinda social setup sharing.

SIlMPLIClITY
24-05-2015, 02:31
Yes, because that is the point of this forum. However it's possible that threads can be lost. etc etc

Herege
24-05-2015, 02:44
Yes, because that is the point of this forum. However it's possible that threads can be lost. etc etc

...+1

NVI0U5
24-05-2015, 02:59
There is a lack of tunes being shared, I think of the top of my head around 3-4 tunes available which are user made,

FA RACING 01
24-05-2015, 06:36
History on Forza showed that it's primarily only the real fast guys that share their tunes (with a few exceptions). Seems same tendancy applies here. With time tunes will become more available, but seldom before a Community comp. for obvious reasons I think.

DERKA DERKA1337
24-05-2015, 06:55
It's also kind of lame that you can't download tunes. Instead, you have to manually manipulate 50+ specific performance metrics on each and every individual car (not even getting in to specific tracks........)

Project Cars could take a few pointers from Forza5.

Gordon
24-05-2015, 07:11
you have to manually manipulate 50+ specific performance metrics on each and every individual car (not even getting in to specific tracks........)

Project Cars could take a few pointers from Forza5.

You don't 'have to' tune anything, default tune is competitive.

SIlMPLIClITY
26-05-2015, 05:07
There is a lack of tunes being shared, I think of the top of my head around 3-4 tunes available which are user made,

There may be a lack of tunes at the moment because of how new the game is. However when tunes become posted it is possible that they will be lost. The only tunes I constantly see are yours. However I don't see any other ones. Maybe it's because of how often I look at the forums or maybe it's because many people post about other discussions. Either way I believe it would be very helpful to the casual community, and maybe those that are competitive, to have faster tunes.

Mattias
26-05-2015, 06:22
It would be nice if someone created a website dedicated for tunes. Something which looks similar to the in-game UI and sliders enabled only if the selected car can have that tune in-game.
The best thing would be if pCars could read files just like with Jack Spade's FFB settings files. Then the site could export the tune for easy importing.

Tunes should be sorted like in-game, by track + car combo, or a general tune for the car.
Labels on the website for each tune would be nice as well. Maybe a "wet track" label or a "night time" label.

Would this be interesting? Maybe someone is already working on something like this?

NVI0U5
26-05-2015, 06:32
There may be a lack of tunes at the moment because of how new the game is. However when tunes become posted it is possible that they will be lost. The only tunes I constantly see are yours. However I don't see any other ones. Maybe it's because of how often I look at the forums or maybe it's because many people post about other discussions. Either way I believe it would be very helpful to the casual community, and maybe those that are competitive, to have faster tunes.
Yeah exactly, my post is always on the first page due to updating the tune to a faster tune, as leader-boards do get competitive the tunes have to change to suit as well, that post has 4 different tunes on it from memory the base/all rounder tune, monza, laguna and a test tune for Monaco.
I'm hoping for other tuners to post up as well, there isn't many, most people on top of the Leader-boards don't want to share their setups because they're worried about getting knocked off the top, Ive thought about that a few times when I shared my setup, but you know what it makes for more competition. If it wasn't for competition everyone would be still sitting on 1:03.XXX for Laguna now its 1:01.XXX.
There's no advantages or incentives to sharing tunes for other players, so most people will be thinking why should I share, I spent the time in R&D to do it, for someone else to reap the rewards of my hard labor. It is a selfish world out there, players will stop playing when their tuning capabilities is finished, or their driving skills have been exceeded on the Leader-boards, it sucks and when that day comes the only people playing are the top guys chasing .1XX of a second.
This game I don't believe was targeted to the casual driver, it was targeted to the hardcore drivers/tuners, hence why no grind, no economy, no bonus's.
The little I could do to help the community with the Formula A tune/setup, I chose the pinnacle of the cars, being new and having a vast choice of vehicles most people goes straight to the top. I was hoping to help change the same old routine but it hasn't I don't believe. I see that people still need tunes, they still need help to understand how to tune cars, my FA thread has over 11,000 views on it, that tells me that people are in the market.
I did my mechanic trade and furthered it and can now do engineering, not everyone has those skills, mechanic trade is a 4 year trade, the tuning aspects to this game I wouldn't expect a journeyman to understand it, I'd expect him to know a little but the game's tuning is very in-depth, and very close to engineering the setups.
I wouldn't expect any school kid or normal person who takes a car to a mechanic for a service even have the slightest idea of what the tuning aspects to this game is. Its is those people who are going to leave the game first because if no one shares any tunes no one is going to be competitive enough later down the track and will leave if they cant win a race or get in the top 1000, 100, 10. Then depression kicks in, its a downhill cycle.
Something does need to happen, I don't have all the time in the world to tune everything, my inbox is almost full with tune requests, half I haven't even replied because I haven't the time to do it.

FA RACING 01
26-05-2015, 07:06
....... There's no advantages or incentives to sharing tunes for other players, so most people will be thinking why should I share, I spent the time in R&D to do it, for someone else to reap the rewards of my hard labor. It is a selfish world out there, players will stop playing when their tuning capabilities is finished, or their driving skills have been exceeded on the Leader-boards, it sucks and when that day comes the only people playing are the top guys chasing .1XX of a second.
This game I don't believe was targeted to the casual driver, it was targeted to the hardcore drivers/tuners, hence why no grind, no economy, no bonus's.
The little I could do to help the community with the Formula A tune/setup, I chose the pinnacle of the cars, being new and having a vast choice of vehicles most people goes straight to the top. I was hoping to help change the same old routine but it hasn't I don't believe. I see that people still need tunes, they still need help to understand how to tune cars, my FA thread has over 11,000 views on it, that tells me that people are in the market.
I wouldn't expect any school kid or normal person who takes a car to a mechanic for a service even have the slightest idea of what the tuning aspects to this game is. Its is those people who are going to leave the game first because if no one shares any tunes no one is going to be competitive enough later down the track and will leave if they cant win a race or get in the top 1000, 100, 10. Then depression kicks in, its a downhill cycle.
Something does need to happen, I don't have all the time in the world to tune everything, my inbox is almost full with tune requests, half I haven't even replied because I haven't the time to do it.

Very sad, but also very very true. I understand this is a HARDCORE SIM and enjoy it big time mostly for that, but down the road the ability to tune will become more and more decisive, especially to compete at the top. I'm working hard to learn the trade of tuning and do a lot of testing and researching from those that knows how and tuning guides, but I also know that that will only take me so far. So, NVIOU5 my friend, your tune contributions are highly appreciated and I for one have found great enjoyment and success with them, but also agree that perhaps we need some more to join you in helping the less skilled tuners.

Mattias
26-05-2015, 08:46
It's not that tuning is everything either.

Just take a look at this:
http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=3934256239&vehicle=3646257473
The second one uses no tuning and beats a lot of other tuners. I believe I've seen others using the default tuning which is number one.

Here is one who is first with no tuning:
http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=1695182971&vehicle=364625747

FA RACING 01
26-05-2015, 09:01
It's not that tuning is everything either.

Just take a look at this:
http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=3934256239&vehicle=3646257473
The second one uses no tuning and beats a lot of other tuners. I believe I've seen others using the default tuning which is number one.

Here is one who is first with no tuning:
http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=1695182971&vehicle=364625747

With respect to the drivers [which I don't know], these stats does not say who are track cutters and who are not, hence it's giving no info on relevance or value of tuning.

NVI0U5
26-05-2015, 09:54
Very sad, but also very very true. I understand this is a HARDCORE SIM and enjoy it big time mostly for that, but down the road the ability to tune will become more and more decisive, especially to compete at the top. I'm working hard to learn the trade of tuning and do a lot of testing and researching from those that knows how and tuning guides, but I also know that that will only take me so far. So, NVIOU5 my friend, your tune contributions are highly appreciated and I for one have found great enjoyment and success with them, but also agree that perhaps we need some more to join you in helping the less skilled tuners.

I know that mate, Im happy to help out, once more tuners start sharing this place will be a better place but also speaking sharing tunes isn't the easiest either

Sp4mD4gger
26-05-2015, 10:06
I know that mate, Im happy to help out, once more tuners start sharing this place will be a better place but also speaking sharing tunes isn't the easiest either
Bit off subject but would like to thank NVIOU5 for the Formula A tune posted recently.
I tried the car a while ago and thought "oh bugger, this is a bit of a handful", having not driven a F1 type car since a demo on PS2.
Posted a good time inside 10 hot laps, and gives me something to work on now i got a starting point.

NVI0U5
26-05-2015, 13:59
Bit off subject but would like to thank NVIOU5 for the Formula A tune posted recently.
I tried the car a while ago and thought "oh bugger, this is a bit of a handful", having not driven a F1 type car since a demo on PS2.
Posted a good time inside 10 hot laps, and gives me something to work on now i got a starting point. No worries buddy!! Glad its working for you.

-and this is the reason why I share the tunes :)

damianeti
26-05-2015, 23:49
Thnx for this great job Man.

SIlMPLIClITY
27-05-2015, 05:18
I understand your point on reasons why people don't want to share their setups. However, if people do share their setups; there should be a certain category to organize it. I'm sure there are a few setups already out there but they have gotten lost in the forums because of general tuning discussion.

In my opinion, make subforums for different car classes. Then you could have people posting their setups and their setups would not get lost. More people will look into it, use it, or just pass on their opinions. The only two negatives I see about this idea is
1) it could take up some space on the website 2) The forums themselves might look empty for a while. Two cosmetic things that don't really bother me, but might bother the developers/owners

MULTIVITZ
27-05-2015, 12:04
History on Forza showed that it's primarily only the real fast guys that share their tunes (with a few exceptions). Seems same tendancy applies here. With time tunes will become more available, but seldom before a Community comp. for obvious reasons I think.

Don't threat, I'm being kind enough to share as I go. Tuning is slow, because of the realism. The tunes I put up have a fair bit of adjustment left in them to allow new players to tune without ending up with a boheemoth. They make a good starting point if you have difficulty from default imo I'm not saying they are the only way to start setting up a certain car, they just have good road manners and fair tyre management. Give my evo a hoon after the tyres are warm! You can drive can't you? Only joking, enjoy.

MULTIVITZ
27-05-2015, 12:10
All suggestions gratefully accepted, but please search for it first, then get it into the suggestion thread asap! I'm not a mod, but my dad had a scooter!