PDA

View Full Version : Ginetta G55 GT3 Tame the beast

jimmyb_84
23-05-2015, 11:18
Has anyone managed to tame this beast yet?

The Ginetta GT3 is a great car but it's a bit of an animal.

rocafella1978
31-05-2015, 15:17
haven't gotten to control it out of corners, tried feathering throttle, settings, fine tune, taking setup details from real race car, none have worked so far.

jimmyb_84
31-05-2015, 15:34
haven't gotten to control it out of corners, tried feathering throttle, settings, fine tune, taking setup details from real race car, none have worked so far.

I'm working on a tune for the pad, I've got it to control a lot better but have one final issue see a below thread "snap oversteer" if I can get it sorted I'll post it on here

FMS TopSecret
31-05-2015, 15:39
Has anyone managed to tame this beast yet?

The Ginetta GT3 is a great car but it's a bit of an animal.

you looking for a general tune or a specific type of track? speed, handling, mix etc.

jimmyb_84
31-05-2015, 15:40
you looking for a general tune or a specific type of track? speed, handling, mix etc.

Looking for a general tune as a solid base for now, will fine tune later on

John Hargreaves
31-05-2015, 17:30
It‘s a very likeable car and sounds amazing. It feels quite light but I do enjoy driving it, must admit I haven‘t noticed any major issues in handling, but I guess it needs respect on corner exits.

Mirko Tartarotti
02-06-2015, 00:16
I think that the main issue is the gap with other gt3 in exit from slow curbs. For example @Monza is possible a 1.44 with other gt3, but with Ginetta I hardly got a 1.46. I lost a lot in traction.

jimmyb_84
02-06-2015, 09:54
Ok so I got desperate to tune this car so I asked the MD of Ginetta Lawrance Tomlinson via Twitter,

He told me "fit Michelin tyres (not an option) and turn the TC up"

Mike Simpson (Ginetta driver) said "lower the car and he's still waiting for his copy from SMS"

I tried the ride-height at various level to no avail, appears we need a tuning genius or a copy of a setup sheet from british GT ;) (I'll work on it)

jimmyb_84
03-08-2015, 23:03
I think I have tamed the beast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI3q07Nn61o

I will post the tune soon (still adding it to setup website) thank you to Jussi for the Base tune, I have made few adjustments my second fastest lap at Nurburgring GP :)

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
04-08-2015, 03:45
IIRC with my base tune and possibly some aero changes I've done a 1:56.5 around Nürburgring GP in the G55 GT3 in the past. The car wants you to be aggressive when going through corners, it can't really beat the others on the straights so you need to go through corners quicker than anyone else. =)

EDIT: Easily my favorite GT3, and the G55 GT4 is my favorite in that class as well. =)

jimmyb_84
04-08-2015, 07:48
It's brilliant fun to drive, rarely did I get any understeer at all and the turn in is better than anything else, it really is a great car just missing ponies, the only time it bites back is too much curb on corner exit while accelerating.

overkill_pt
27-09-2015, 14:43
Hello Jimmyb_84,

I'm trying to tune the Ginetta G55 GT3 for Watkins Glen GP but i'm having some trouble. I've tried to look for your setup (you mention before) in the pcars setup database but you don't have it posted...could you please share ? :)

Pfalzdriver
28-09-2015, 06:21
I really like this beast, though it's a lill slow, but this is compensated by amazing corner speeds.

The setup I've made for the beast is at the end of this video, and it should work as a baseline for a soft setup. It's in german but you should get it. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hia6HMtDK7Y

I've increased the ride height at the back by 2mm yesterday, increased rear DF to 3.5 and the front sway-bar to 99N/mm. Diffs are at 25/20/20. With those changes to the setup within the video I was able to drive a 6:43.641 at the green hell, and there is still room for improvement.

I was just a little bit confused about the rear df, because it can be negative. Is this a bug or can anyone explain to me why there is a negative df possible?

Invincible
28-09-2015, 07:00
Negative downforce should creative lift. I don't know why this would be implemented because no race driver would WANT to have lift on his car if I am not mistaken.

But also, the DF values in PCars aren't absolute values. Even setting 0 should only be the lowest value possible for this car, not necessarily zero downforce. SO a negative value shouldn't be possible at all. Could you provide a screenshot for this, so the devs could be properly notified?

Pfalzdriver
28-09-2015, 07:44
Will do this evening when I'm back at home. :)

28-09-2015, 09:06
Negative downforce should creative lift. I don't know why this would be implemented because no race driver would WANT to have lift on his car if I am not mistaken.

But also, the DF values in PCars aren't absolute values. Even setting 0 should only be the lowest value possible for this car, not necessarily zero downforce. SO a negative value shouldn't be possible at all. Could you provide a screenshot for this, so the devs could be properly notified?In this car the rear wing values are actually degrees. Most of the cars use an arbitrary scale for the DF settings, but there are a few where it's actually a straight up wing angle. And a wing in a negative angle of attack doesn't necessarily produce lift either, it depends on what angle the airflow hits it (the airflow can be going down when hitting the wing due to following the curvature of the rear window), and the airfoil profile of the wing can also produce sufficient DF by itself that a small enough negative angle of attack won't cause lift.

Invincible
28-09-2015, 09:34
In this car the rear wing values are actually degrees. Most of the cars use an arbitrary scale for the DF settings, but there are a few where it's actually a straight up wing angle. And a wing in a negative angle of attack doesn't necessarily produce lift either, it depends on what angle the airflow hits it (the airflow can be going down when hitting the wing due to following the curvature of the rear window), and the airfoil profile of the wing can also produce sufficient DF by itself that a small enough negative angle of attack won't cause lift.

Do you know why some cars use real degree values and some arbitrary values? That is a bit confusing imo.

But you are right, a negative degree is wing value doesn't necessarily produces lift. But a "negative downforce" would be lift. If a downward force gets inverted it results in an upward directed force.

graveltrap
28-09-2015, 09:55
I guess you get the angles if the information is available to the developers...

Pfalzdriver
28-09-2015, 15:40
OK, I've checked ingame. The sheet of graveltrap is right. Rear wing varies from -2.5 to 17.5. But as Invincible already said, kinda confusing. :)

jimmyb_84
28-09-2015, 15:53
Hello Jimmyb_84,

I'm trying to tune the Ginetta G55 GT3 for Watkins Glen GP but i'm having some trouble. I've tried to look for your setup (you mention before) in the pcars setup database but you don't have it posted...could you please share ? :)

Your right I haven't actually posted it yet but I basically used Jussi's baseline with a few personal tweaks. see link
http://projectcarssetups.eu/#/viewsetup/269643024

Schnizz58
28-09-2015, 16:59
And a wing in a negative angle of attack doesn't necessarily produce lift either, it depends on what angle the airflow hits it (the airflow can be going down when hitting the wing due to following the curvature of the rear window), and the airfoil profile of the wing can also produce sufficient DF by itself that a small enough negative angle of attack won't cause lift.
Isn't the definition of angle of attack the angle between the wing (specifically the chord of the wing) and the (presumed laminar) airflow it's traveling through? So in your example that wouldn't really be negative AOA since the airflow is moving downwards.

28-09-2015, 17:38
Isn't the definition of angle of attack the angle between the wing (specifically the chord of the wing) and the (presumed laminar) airflow it's traveling through? So in your example that wouldn't really be negative AOA since the airflow is moving downwards.Good spot, very true, though the point about airfoils being able to produce downforce even with a negative angle of attack is still true. But better rephrase it:

A negative wing angle (compared to flat floor) doesn't necessarily mean a negative angle of attack, since the airflow can curve downwards at the rear end of the car, hitting the wing in an angle very different from the flat floor angle. Also a wing can produce downforce even with a negative angle of attack, depending on the shape of the airfoil. =)

And also the rake angle of the whole car (how much higher the rear of the car is compared to the front) also affects the angle of the rear spoiler. =)

MortICi
01-10-2015, 20:49
I run stock setup and usually end up in the top 5 with a few pole positions. Its not a straight line car so tracks like Monza or Road America it a test of how perfect you enter and exit corners (corner speed). Other tracks though I easily pass cars in corners due its ability to eat corners.

Only adjustments I do is reduce front aero to 0 and rear to 7.5, close up the break ducts a bit and the radiator. Everything else I don't really touch. I tried messing with tyre pressure but that gave me a less stable car. I haven't felt the need to tune it further as it pretty much does a damn good job on all tracks. Its my go to GT3, plus the sound of it is just terrifying :D

Mangoat
01-10-2015, 21:17
^ All of these things :yes:

RedKellyS8
02-10-2015, 01:38
Hi all , 1st post so I'll keep this simple and don't be hard on me but and I'm only a month into this whole sim racing world and wondered if this was not the key ....

jimmyb said " Ok so I got desperate to tune this car so I asked the MD of Ginetta Lawrance Tomlinson via Twitter , He told me "fit Michelin tyres (not an option)"

The Team LNT 16 car are racing at least in graphic representation on Michelin boots ? I don't know if that translates to the road manners on the track as I'm not up to a good enough level to say .

I have taken a liking to the G55 GT3 so anything that may help us all master what is a true successor to the almighty G33 . A forgotten hero of British small volume motor manufacturing when few remembered their name or their racing pedigree . I hope they carry on finding new fans on all levels of motorsports in both worlds .

Red

Pfalzdriver
02-10-2015, 05:39
Only adjustments I do is reduce front aero to 0 and rear to 7.5
3.5 ist enough on most tracks. :)

I tried messing with tyre pressure but that gave me a less stable car.
I wouldnt say unstable per se, but tire pressure is kind of hard with the beast. I'm havin trouble myself keeping the right tires within a working temperature window on a clockwise track. Especially the front right cools down very fast, which leads to instability. But that is my task for this afternoon/evening, finding a proper pressure. :)

speedystew432
04-10-2015, 10:06
I guess you get the angles if the information is available to the developers...

who do you know getting drawings like that from the factory graveltrap lol

graveltrap
04-10-2015, 10:47
Found it online, limited info on the GT3 (6 page PDF) but you can locate a full Supercup (GT4) manual....

Mazy CZ
23-03-2016, 09:56
Here is my hotlap in Ginetta at Brno also with setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grk1lUMHBww

Shadowoff
23-03-2016, 10:43
Tony told me that F1-Masa wanna drive the G55 in AOR maybe... I saw some testing, he drove a 1.41 at Barcelona GP and at Imola a 1.40. He definetly is an Alien :D

Mazy CZ
23-03-2016, 10:58
Tony told me that F1-Masa wanna drive the G55 in AOR maybe... I saw some testing, he drove a 1.41 at Barcelona GP and at Imola a 1.40. He definetly is an Alien :D
He is driving Aston Martin again. But yes, no matter the car, he is alien in every one of them..Don't know how he does that :D but it is not in the setup. According to TT times, he put 1:56's in Gientta @Brno aswell :D

23-03-2016, 11:29
Wish he'd spend his effort on seeing how quick he can go in the Corvette, Cadillac, post-BoP Bentley and Aston GTE... =)