PDA

View Full Version : Cold Brakes vs Hot Brakes....effect?

Helmethead1031
23-05-2015, 13:31
At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, im just going to ask......What is the effect on braking ability when they are cold vs hot? I was racing a 26 lap in career mode at Laguna the other night. As the race went on, my brakes became more and more sensitive. With 3 laps left in the race, I only had to barely touch the brake pedal with my foot and the brakes would just overly "grab". Would this be an indication of cold or hot brakes?

Timmynator
23-05-2015, 13:34
Well, excluding trouble with your brake pedal (are you on a wheel and pedal combination or controller?) I'd say your brakes were doing exactly what they're supposed to.

From cold, you'll notice an increase in brake performance when they get up to temp. You can try that by going into free practice and starting from the pits, your brakes should be cold. Depending on the car and duct settings, you'll see them increase in temp and you should be able to feel a difference in braking performance, i.e. distance to come to a full stop / distance from the corner when you have to start braking for it.

yusupov
23-05-2015, 13:34
unless they were locking, which i dont believe should happen bc of higher temp, they were just better & you neeed to adjust...in a race car you can't have breaks that 'overly' do their job, its on the driver to adjust since better brakes simply mean youlll be faster

Helmethead1031
23-05-2015, 13:42
I'm using T100 wheel and pedal combo. I honestly had never had this happen in previous races. I literally had to barely touch the pedal towards the end of the race. It was frustrating as my braking points became drastically different and the over sensitivity on the brake pedal was difficult to adjust to. I ran the last 3 laps 4secs off my avg pace and was getting rammed in the rear (that doesn't sound right:confused:) because the slightest bit of braking would slow the car down drastically.

Roger Prynne
23-05-2015, 13:44
If you can adjust the brake sensitivity in the controllers menu try about 40% or even 30%... just experiment.

Timmynator
23-05-2015, 13:46
The balance of a car changes with race duration, e.g. less weight due to less fuel in the tank. Have you tried mapping brake balance adjustment and changing it mid-race (F1 even do it mid-lap for certain corners)?

Brakes usually go from bad to good to bad with increasing temperature from cold. They might still be good if overheating but won't last long since they take damage when too hot. So it's important to keep them in their "good" range, again, those vary depending on the type of car.

That's assuming it's one of those cars which allow brake bias adjustment, e.g. GT3 cars.

Edit: Also what Roger said: how is your brake sensitivity set up?

Helmethead1031
23-05-2015, 13:53
The balance of a car changes with race duration, e.g. less weight due to less fuel in the tank. Have you tried mapping brake balance adjustment and changing it mid-race (F1 even do it mid-lap for certain corners)?

Brakes usually go from bad to good to bad with increasing temperature from cold. They might still be good if overheating but won't last long since they take damage when too hot. So it's important to keep them in their "good" range, again, those vary depending on the type of car.

That's assuming it's one of those cars which allow brake bias adjustment, e.g. GT3 cars.

Edit: Also what Roger said: how is your brake sensitivity set up?

I will go into settings and check my brake sensitivity....I'm honestly not sure it's current setting. I appreciate the advice and will continue to play around with it.
Thanks gentleman

yusupov
23-05-2015, 13:56
idk if there is a correct setting...50% is 'theoretically' correct bc its linear but this is usually bad if you dont have a load cell pedal, you will have too much trouble if you dont use ABS. id recommend something like 25-35% sensitivity personally but i dont know exactly what your pedals are like

AshenShugar
23-05-2015, 17:19
idk if there is a correct setting...50% is 'theoretically' correct bc its linear but this is usually bad if you dont have a load cell pedal, you will have too much trouble if you dont use ABS. id recommend something like 25-35% sensitivity personally but i dont know exactly what your pedals are like

I originally set my brakes like that but tried the opposite @ 70% and found the brake feel a fair bit better. With this setting you have far finer adjustment under heavy braking. With a 25% setting most of the braking pressure is done in the last 40% of pedal travel.