PDA

View Full Version : [WE HAVE IT] Rubber wear on tracks

Marcd23
23-05-2015, 14:33
This is something I think this game really needs. It would make practice, qualifying and warm up worth it.
The longer your on the track before the race, the more rubber build up there would be therefore generating more grip around the track.

I would like to see this added. And I'm interested in thoughts of others and to see if this is something the devs are thinking of adding in the future?

rocafella1978
23-05-2015, 14:35
would be wonderful to have! indeed!

Ian Bell
23-05-2015, 14:37
This is something I think this game really needs. It would make practice, qualifying and warm up worth it.
The longer your on the track before the race, the more rubber build up there would be therefore generating more grip around the track.

I would like to see this added. And I'm interested in thoughts of others and to see if this is something the devs are thinking of adding in the future?

It's in.

Roger Prynne
It's already in the game.

Edit: Ninja'd by the hairy one.

Umer Ahmad
rFactor has this, it is called their "Live Track" technology. We discussed it at WMD but I forget the outcome. I think there is some rubber build up for the actual Races

Marcd23
23-05-2015, 14:39
Is it? Lol... Its not something I've actually picked on. Well. Thanks for clearing it up.

So does having longer practices and warm ups make a difference then?

Umer Ahmad
23-05-2015, 14:39
Ian/WMD: Is it the visual part that is perhaps missing? Does a green track look pretty much the same as a rubbered in track? This would be a really good opportunity for one of Casey's awesome before/after GIFs

Roger Prynne
23-05-2015, 14:40
Yes you can see it visually.... also it gets washed away in the rain.

Ian Bell
23-05-2015, 14:40
rFactor has this, it is called their "Live Track" technology. We discussed it at WMD but I forget the outcome. I think there is some rubber build up for the actual Races

We created live track tech with GTR.

Ian Bell
23-05-2015, 14:41
Ian/WMD: Is it the visual part that is perhaps missing? Does a green track look pretty much the same as a rubbered in track? This would be a really good opportunity for one of Casey's awesome before/after GIFs

No, it's there too...

Marcd23
23-05-2015, 14:43
Thanks for your response to this Ian. I honestly didn't realise it was in.
Is there a minimum number of laps before you start to notice it, or does it build up quite quick. Also, does it carry over from practice, qualifying and warm up?

rocafella1978
23-05-2015, 14:43
nice! had not noticed! thx for clarifying guys and your hard work!

Ian Bell
23-05-2015, 14:46
Thanks for your response to this Ian. I honestly didn't realise it was in.
Is there a minimum number of laps before you start to notice it, or does it build up quite quick. Also, does it carry over from practice, qualifying and warm up?

The dynamic darkening is quite subtle, or at least, often hidden to an extent by the painted on skidmarks.

Roger Prynne
23-05-2015, 14:47
Also, does it carry over from practice, qualifying and warm up?
That's one I don't know the answer to.... probably not?

Ian Bell
23-05-2015, 14:49
That's one I don't know the answer to.... probably not?

Can't recall on the visuals but the grip improves over the race weekend yes.

Marcd23
23-05-2015, 14:50
Would be nice to be able to have this visual as a selectable in the setting. I personally would like to be able to see where it's building up. Is this something that's possible? To be able to make it more defined.

Again. Thanks for the response

Pink_650S
23-05-2015, 14:51
This could be interesting for the OP and further questions :)
Its really helpful!

http://en.pcars.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Physics

Ian Bell
23-05-2015, 14:53
Would be nice to be able to have this visual as a selectable in the setting. I personally would like to be able to see where it's building up. Is this something that's possible? To be able to make it more defined.

Again. Thanks for the response

Maybe we can yeah, in a patch, if it's what most want. It's already there, just subtle. We have a lot of subtle touches that people spot over time.

Marcd23
23-05-2015, 14:54
@pink_650s nice one mate. I'll have a read of that later.

Roger Prynne
23-05-2015, 14:55
Why are my testing times slower than those in the race while everything else remains equal?

Track activity builds up tyre rubber during events IRL, which adds grip. A 'rubbered in' track is faster than a clean, "green" one. In pCARS, the racing surface on race day can end up with 3-4% more grip than on test days! Of course if it rains that will remove the extra rubber build up to an extent, so beware.

Marcd23
23-05-2015, 15:02
I've read a lot of shit on these forums over the last couple of days. But there will always be bitches everywhere.

I have honestly never seen input from developers like I'm seeing on here.
No matter what. If this level of communication sticks and don't fade over time. This game will get one hell of a reputation as over time, the bitches will go away and only the real fans will stay

So thanks for the responses Ian. It's nice to see this happening

Roger Prynne
23-05-2015, 15:04
We have learnt over the last 4 years that bitching doesn't get you anywhere....
Being polite gets you everywhere.

jimmyb_84
23-05-2015, 15:17
Incredible work!

Say I raced an endurance race with all sessions and towards the end 12hrs or 24hrs if I had sticky tyres and a low fuel load would I benefit from the extra rubber on the track?

Also does the same apply to the time trial mode?

I'm blown away by this game, it just gets better!

Ian Bell
23-05-2015, 15:19
Incredible work!

Say I raced an endurance race with all sessions and towards the end 12hrs or 24hrs if I had sticky tyres and a low fuel load would I benefit from the extra rubber on the track?

Also does the same apply to the time trial mode?

I'm blown away by this game, it just gets better!

Yes and no. Time trial is fixed by design so we are comparing like with like on the timings.

Marcd23
23-05-2015, 15:44
Yes and no. Time trial is fixed by design so we are comparing like with like on the timings.

That was something else I was also thinking. Does staying on the track longer during time trial mode have an effect but if you've locked it so everybody is equal. That to makes sense.

Ian Bell
23-05-2015, 15:46
That was something else I was also thinking. Does staying on the track longer during time trial mode have an effect but if you've locked it so everybody is equal. That to makes sense.

Apart from tyre heat I think.

ivan-hoe78
23-05-2015, 15:58

It's in.

I already reed it's in game before release. That things makes Project Cars unique as a racing games on consoles. Very happy with this!

Spirit X
23-05-2015, 16:11
You can definitely notice that over a race of about 10 laps or more, the AI's lap times will gradually get faster (and so should yours). Presumably as the result of fuel going down and the track getting rubbered in as time goes on.

ivan-hoe78
23-05-2015, 16:18
You can definitely notice that over a race of about 10 laps or more, the AI's lap times will gradually get faster (and so should yours). Presumably as the result of fuel going down and the track getting rubbered in as time goes on.

Yeah, I've noticed the fuel weight a lot. For example, I did a race on the Audi R8 V10, and in practice I've changed the fuel from 75l to 20, and my laptimes were improved a lot.

yusupov
23-05-2015, 16:25
i like how AC has the presets, would love to see that implemented at least for practice. i agree TT should be consistent but id be curious what level its set at, i assume highest but idk.

this is also something i had no idea was a feature, so having an option for it somewhere would at least help clue you in on that too.

Ian Bell
23-05-2015, 16:25
Yeah, I've noticed the fuel weight a lot. For example, I did a race on the Audi R8 V10, and in practice I've changed the fuel from 75l to 20, and my laptimes were improved a lot.

We actually measure the movement of the fuel in the tank with g forces which influences the weight distribution dynamically.

Marcd23
23-05-2015, 16:27
We actually measure the movement of the fuel in the tank with g forces which influences the weight distribution dynamically.

Like what the fuck!! that's detail. My god!!

ivan-hoe78
23-05-2015, 16:30

I think on that feature, but don't know if it's implemented in game until now. Glad this is on the game. Thank you for all this details!

Doug914
23-05-2015, 17:46
To put a number in it, theres a 3-4 % difference in groove grip between a green first practice (or an open practice) and race day where the most rubbering in is present. It gradually build over the race weekend and during the race slightly. It washes completely back to green if it rains enough.
TT is locked in middle there somewhere.

Marcd23
23-05-2015, 23:20
To put a number in it, theres a 3-4 % difference in groove grip between a green first practice (or an open practice) and race day where the most rubbering in is present. It gradually build over the race weekend and during the race slightly. It washes completely back to green if it rains enough.
TT is locked in middle there somewhere.

So what about the time length of the practice, qualifying and warm up. Does that make a difference. Will there be the same amount of rubbering in a 10 minute each over 90 minutes of each. Or is that based on tyre wear? So if it's set to real would you need a longer session to get more rubbering over an advanced tyre wear setting?