PDA

View Full Version : Tyre temperature colours too similar

Jweaver
23-05-2015, 15:01
The Green/Blue colours used for tyre temp are too similar. Both colours are more like cyan and very close.

Could the devs consider making the green, more green and blue more blue? (Red is finy by the way).

Roger Prynne
23-05-2015, 15:06
Have you got a colour blind problem by any chance?
I see them quite clearly my self.

Machinist90
23-05-2015, 15:09
if you can't read this number I have some bad news for you

Roger Prynne
23-05-2015, 15:12
What number? :apologetic:

But yeah that is a good example.

Jweaver
23-05-2015, 15:15
Nope.. Not colour blind... dont get me wrong, i can see the difference.. But they are not primary colours. Infact very similar to the green/blue dots in the "7" test above.

Why not make the indicators.. Green.. As in proper primary green.. And blue.. As in proper primary blue.. Rather than shades of green/blue..

I will get a screen grab and demonstrate what i mean.

Ian Bell
23-05-2015, 15:17
Nope.. Not colour blind... dont get me wrong, i can see the difference.. But they are not primary colours. Infact very similar to the green/blue dots in the "7" test above.

Why not make the indicators.. Green.. As in proper primary green.. And blue.. As in proper primary blue.. Rather than shades of green/blue..

Because that would be garish.

Jweaver
23-05-2015, 15:23
Because that would be garish.

And red is not? Red is currently a primary colour and that doent look "garish". Following the same logic, why not make it pink, or light purple..

Right now the green/blue colours are like pastel colours and on my setup they are almost the same.. You can see the difference, but not at a glance... They should be more bold/clear.

Ian Bell
23-05-2015, 15:25
And red is not? Red is currently a primary colour and that doent look "garish". Following the same logic, why not make it pink, or light purple..

Right now the green/blue colours are like pastel colours and on my setup they are almost the same.. You can see the difference, but not at a glance... They should be more bold/clear.

We don't use primary red.

Not all of your ideas necessarily have to be good ones.

Roger Prynne
23-05-2015, 15:25
I don't want to go into "it must be you" type of answer.... but I have never heard this complaint before.

Jweaver
23-05-2015, 15:28
We don't use primary red.

Not all of your ideas necessarily have to be good ones.

I am not saying i am right.. I am only stating my views.. But colour blind is an interesting point.. What if i was? What if my TV is setup badly where the colours look the same?

On my TV they do and its hard at a glace to see which tyres are cold and all i am doing is asking you to consder reviewing this...

Roger Prynne
23-05-2015, 15:32
What does the rest of the game look like?... because if the tire temps look that bad to you then the rest of the game must look crap as well.

FoxMulder
23-05-2015, 15:32
[QUOTE=Machinist90;937333]if you can't read this number I have some bad news for you

Is that a 7?

Roger Prynne
23-05-2015, 15:50
Even in this low quality vid you can clearly see the difference in colours.

http://youtu.be/AGQhjI4QbVU

Jweaver
23-05-2015, 16:02
Even in this low quality vid you can clearly see the difference in colours.

http://youtu.be/AGQhjI4QbVU

And i can say right there that they (to me) look simiar.. Not the same, obviouly.. But similar.. Conisdering they are not on/off states and blend between green/blue i am just surprised that the colours are not more bold when there are 16 million to choose from.

But lets not take this out of perpective.. Its hardly game breaking. Imam mot loosing any sleep over it.. But i am still surprised that the colours arnt more bold (ie closer to primary green and blue).

Lars Rosenquist
23-05-2015, 16:03
If your TV is setup badly you should also notice off colors in other games and you should correct this yourself. Colorblindness can't be helped, but many games have assists for this. (E.g Gran Turismo has a driving line that doesn't just change color, but also shape). With colorblindness I would expect you to have issues in other games (and other parts of Project CARS) as well.

ivan-hoe78
23-05-2015, 16:08
Have you got a colour blind problem by any chance?
I see them quite clearly my self.

Maybe he is referring on telemetry display?

On that, when the tires are from cool to near optimal, I see the color a little confusing. But maybe I'm wrong.

Jweaver
23-05-2015, 16:09
If your TV is setup badly you should also notice off colors in other games and you should correct this yourself. Colorblindness can't be helped, but many games have assists for this. (E.g Gran Turismo has a driving line that doesn't just change color, but also shape). With colorblindness I would expect you to have issues in other games (and other parts of Project CARS) as well.

Oh my god! Right.. i am not colour blind (at 45 with an Optician partner, i think i would know this by now).

I CAN see the differences between the green/blue tyre temperatures. But i am just surprise they arnt more obvious/bold... Thats it.. Simple...

If no one else agrees, then lets just move on... but i am going to let my other 1/2 look tonight, just to see what she thinks (not about my colour blindness, but about the choice of colours).

Roger Prynne
23-05-2015, 16:11
OK mate fair enough.

Jweaver
23-05-2015, 16:20
I am now intrigued and took a scientifc approach.

So I loaded a screenshot into a paint app.. And checked the colours.. Based on an RGB scale, this is what I found:

Green = 53 249 154
Blue = 63 205 246

So what does this tell us.. Well, neither have much red in them..

But the green is almost pure green, mixed with 60% blue.

And the blue.. Well thats almost pure blue, with 80% green..

So the facts speak for themselves.

I still think that some of the blue needs to be taken out of the green (perhaps not down to primary levels) and visa versa...

But this is only my opinion..

Jon

PS.. I have no problems resolving colour.. I got 100% on this test when I did it years ago

http://www.xrite.com/online-color-test-challenge

Ian Bell
23-05-2015, 16:22
I am now intrigued and took a scientifc approach.

So I loaded a screenshot into a paint app.. And checked the colours.. Based on an RGB scale, this is what I found:

Green = 53 249 154
Blue = 63 205 246

So what does this tell us.. Well, neither have much red in them..

But the green is almost pure green, mixed with 60% blue.

And the blue.. Well thats almost pure blue, with 80% green..

So the facts speak for themselves.

I still think that some of the blue needs to be taken out of the green (perhaps not down to primary levels) and visa versa...

But this is only my opinion..

Jon

PS.. I have no problems resolving colour.. I got 100% on this test when I did it years ago

http://www.xrite.com/online-color-test-challenge

I have to admire your tenacity Jon.

If any other users are finding issues here please join in.

Jweaver
23-05-2015, 16:25
I have to admire your tenacity Jon.

If any other users are finding issues here please join in.

Unfortunately, I am a software support engineer (actually manager now) who has spent a 25 year career arguing bugs/defects so its in my blood :)

I will be interested to see what my other 1/2 thinks later as she is facinated by this stuff (As she is an optician)...

One thing which may be relevant.. When I got close to my TV to put a USB stick in to grab the screenshot, I found it was easier to see the colour.. But when I sat back in my normal position (10 feet from the screen) it was much more difficult so perhaps this is less relevant to people who play at a desk?

But as I said, lets be honest, its not the end of the world is it?

Jon

Marcd23
23-05-2015, 16:32
I don't want to go into "it must be you" type of answer.... but I have never heard this complaint before.

Ok, I'll say it. It must be you mate. This is the first time I've seen or heard anybody complain about this. It's clear as day what colour they are

Machinist90
23-05-2015, 16:33
[QUOTE=Machinist90;937333]if you can't read this number I have some bad news for you

Is that a 7?

do I have some good news for you

Roger Prynne
23-05-2015, 16:35
Unfortunately, I am a software support engineer (actually manager now) who has spent a 25 year career arguing bugs/defects so its in my blood :)

I will be interested to see what my other 1/2 thinks later as she is facinated by this stuff (As she is an optician)...

One thing which may be relevant.. When I got close to my TV to put a USB stick in to grab the screenshot, I found it was easier to see the colour.. But when I sat back in my normal position (10 feet from the screen) it was much more difficult so perhaps this is less relevant to people who play at a desk?

But as I said, lets be honest, its not the end of the world is it?

Jon

Ah you never said before that you sit 10 feet away from the screen.
What size is your TV?

Machinist90
23-05-2015, 16:37
maybe turn the contrast a bit up? either in game or on your tv itself,or saturation

Bouyo
23-05-2015, 16:47
I'm playing this game on a 1080p 110" projector screen with a DLP projector, and I have to admit that the telemetry view in particular is rather hard to use to determine tyre temp from the colours.

I too am not colour blind, however when you're wanting to see tyre temps quickly I actually go to the numbers on the tyres and read those!

This is not a deal breaker by any stretch of the imagination, but if you *were* going to mod this, perhaps you could offer customizable colours along with the customizable hud. Just a suggestion.

Jweaver
23-05-2015, 17:01
Ah you never said before that you sit 10 feet away from the screen.
What size is your TV?

I have a 24" CRT!

:) just kidding.. - 50" Plasma.. Professionally calibrated.

Roger Prynne
23-05-2015, 17:02
Much like myself then.

Jweaver
23-05-2015, 17:03
maybe turn the contrast a bit up? either in game or on your tv itself,or saturation

That would be a bad idea.. I have spent years tweaking my setup and its now THX calibrated.. I am not going to mess with that for such a minor issue...