PDA

View Full Version : To build a PC or not?

jimmyb_84
23-05-2015, 16:15
This game has simply blown me away on PS4.

However with the extra features currently available on the PC version, 3rd party apps and liveries, I'm debating if I need the PC version to unlock the games true potential. I am very much a data geek, some may of come across my WEC data analysis online or Bathurst 12hr and Rolex 24. I love as much data as possible with Sony unlikely to allow 3rd part apps and the unlikely hood of a second screen via Vita (showing live telemetry) I am seriously considering slowly getting a gaming PC sorted.

Or in time will these features be avaible on console?

Would appreciate your thoughts?

TrevorAustin
23-05-2015, 16:25
Its what i did, sold the xbox and built a pc, only mistake was not starting with a powerful enough pc and getting a 290x.

And the api access you get to run telemetry apps etc will give you loads of data to play with:)

[PSR]Painkiller
23-05-2015, 16:25
pc always better than console apps,wheels,

Daveesaunders
23-05-2015, 16:28
Considering the same, eyeing up a space in the bedroom to put a rig however the wife wants a cross trainer there ��

jimmyb_84
23-05-2015, 16:28
Painkiller;937518']pc always better than console apps,wheels,

I'm not debating as regards graphics, I just would like an indication regarding any features that may appear on console regarding the features I've mentioned

jimmyb_84
23-05-2015, 16:30
Considering the same, eyeing up a space in the bedroom to put a rig however the wife wants a cross trainer there ��

I already have a desk area with flat screen on it ;)

jimmyb_84
23-05-2015, 16:31
Its what i did, sold the xbox and built a pc, only mistake was not starting with a powerful enough pc and getting a 290x.

And the api access you get to run telemetry apps etc will give you loads of data to play with:)

Ive never had a gaming PC before hence why I'm a little scared, what sort of ball park figure are we looking at?

Lars Rosenquist
23-05-2015, 16:32
If you're already thinking about it, then do it. Hell, post a budget here and I'm sure a lot of us can help you with a setup. :)

jimmyb_84
23-05-2015, 16:35
If you're already thinking about it, then do it. Hell, post a budget here and I'm sure a lot of us can help you with a setup. :)

To be honest cheaper the better, actually budget will depend on the argument with the Mrs and what I can sell

MysterG
23-05-2015, 16:39
I don't think the amount of data, screens etc.. you could have on a console (even if officially sanctioned by Sony) would ever match what you could do on a PC.

TrevorAustin
23-05-2015, 16:39
Ive never had a gaming PC before hence why I'm a little scared, what sort of ball park figure are we looking at?

Well i spent more than i should as i started too low, but if i was to start again I'd buy what im running now. I'm runnimg caseless so add 60 or so if you want one.

Z97 gaming mb 95
I5 4690k 159
2400 8gn 8gb ram 65
Big cpu air cooler 30
Powrrcooler 850 modular psu 50
Evga gtx970 superclocked 270
120gb ssd 45
1tb sata 45
Windows 10, free

Plus mouse and keyboard

Lars Rosenquist
23-05-2015, 16:47
That would be a great system. You could go a lot cheaper if you go for a non-K cpu, matching motherboard and a GTX 960. It depends a bit on what your requirements are (so not just the budget). Do you want to run 1080p/60FPS at Ultra or is it okay to lower options a few notches?

And it would be easier if you have an indication of a budget. You can build a PC that plays Project CARS quite decently for as low as 700 euros, or you could go all-in. ;)

jimmyb_84
23-05-2015, 16:48
I don't think the amount of data, screens etc.. you could have on a console (even if officially sanctioned by Sony) would ever match what you could do on a PC.

I may wait and see what happens with updates, but to truly furfill my data obsession I need 3rd party app and an "export to CSV" button!!!

jimmyb_84
23-05-2015, 16:52
That would be a great system. You could go a lot cheaper if you go for a non-K cpu, matching motherboard and a GTX 960. It depends a bit on what your requirements are (so not just the budget). Do you want to run 1080p/60FPS at Ultra or is it okay to lower options a few notches?

And it would be easier if you have an indication of a budget. You can build a PC that plays Project CARS quite decently for as low as 700 euros, or you could go all-in. ;)

700 euros would be enough for a nearly divorce, I may have to build up to it in my top secret shed.

Lars Rosenquist
23-05-2015, 17:02
Well, Trevors system goes up to 1100 euros, so I guess that's a no-no then. But realistically, what are you looking to spend?

BioForce
23-05-2015, 17:03

Sometimes PCars turns into a crosstrainer when using a wheel ;)

TrevorAustin
23-05-2015, 17:12
I may wait and see what happens with updates, but to truly furfill my data obsession I need 3rd party app and an "export to CSV" button!!!

Trust me you wouldn't be happy with a lower spec if you're measuring data. Frame rate and graphics won't allow you to settle for less:) 300 of mine was paid for by selling my xbox and other ebay stuff paid for a lot.

But then there's the rift and sim vibe and transducers and....

Just got some transducers in the oven now:)

jimmyb_84
23-05-2015, 17:13
Well, Trevors system goes up to 1100 euros, so I guess that's a no-no then. But realistically, what are you looking to spend?

To be honest I don't know, it might be a case of paying a part every week/month until it's complete in the meantime I have the PS4 version.

Sp4mD4gger
23-05-2015, 17:17
This game has simply blown me away on PS4.

However with the extra features currently available on the PC version, 3rd party apps and liveries, I'm debating if I need the PC version to unlock the games true potential. I am very much a data geek, some may of come across my WEC data analysis online or Bathurst 12hr and Rolex 24. I love as much data as possible with Sony unlikely to allow 3rd part apps and the unlikely hood of a second screen via Vita (showing live telemetry) I am seriously considering slowly getting a gaming PC sorted.

Or in time will these features be avaible on console?

Would appreciate your thoughts?
Having being an ex pc gamer, I ask you, firstly have you ever built a gaming pc?.
Do you have a working knowledge if pc architecture.
If yes the decide what you want to spend, then add 50 percent, not including peripherals, (wheel etc).
Or you can get a reasonable pc from Alienware and that comes with product support and warranty.

Lars Rosenquist
23-05-2015, 17:17
To be honest I don't know, it might be a case of paying a part every week/month until it's complete in the meantime I have the PS4 version.

If you're going that road I wouldn't settle for a low-end setup and just wait a few extra weeks/months until you have enough to buy it all.

jimmyb_84
23-05-2015, 17:22
Having being an ex pc gamer, I ask you, firstly have you ever built a gaming pc?.
Do you have a working knowledge if pc architecture.
If yes the decide what you want to spend, then add 50 percent, not including peripherals, (wheel etc).
Or you can get a reasonable pc from Alienware and that comes with product support and warranty.

Your probably right I would be a PC gaming newbie and would know what to buy with hours of research. Have a feeling the Alienware website might make my eyes water

TrevorAustin
23-05-2015, 17:22
If you're going that road I wouldn't settle for a low-end setup and just wait a few extra weeks/months until you have enough to buy it all.

100% agree,

MakoShark222
23-05-2015, 17:23
Little info 1st...I have built PC's pretty much since day 1. I had the 1st verified 1 GHz OCed PC ever with an OC to 1032 MHz with a Duron 650 almost the 1st to 2 GHz and 1st to 3 GHz w/o proof. I have been at the top of PC Marks, Future Marks and 3D Marks. I loved to build top end winning PC's.

Well I just dropped from PC last Oct and went to PS4. I know it will sound crazy to some but PS4 for me is by far the best platform if you are mainly into FPS games like me. I'm looking for close and fairer games in shooters, that was my goal. Here is how thing work in the real world...Person with mid-grade PC thinks his PC is an award winner so instead of setting graphics to their proper setting they want to see Ultra graphics and crank everything up way past what even a Top player can handle so they lag themselves out. Game play is degraded when even one guy does this they basically lose a man on that team. Now multiply that even more because people are just plain stupid when it come to stuff like this.

In a shooter you already have enough to worry about , connection lag is the main one but throw in the above and things will get ugly! This will not happen on a console besides the connection lag thats on every system.

As far as this game I think PS4 is pretty darn good and I don't feel its justified to waste a grand or more for just a pair of video cards. I'd imagine this game won't have to have 2 v-cards to max out unless it can go to 4k then maybe so. I'm sure these guys can tell you if it will do 4k. If I'd ever replace my Crossfired 6800's I'd have to buy the very best thats just me and thats about a grand or more.

I have a Samsung 3D 4k curved TV that will up-scale anything, games or TV to 4K and I can tell you 1st hand it looks awesome. I can not compare it with this game because I don't have it for PC but others I've seen look far better on PS4 than my Watercooled 4 GHz+ Crossfired 6800's 16 gigs PC2400 512 SSD boot and 2 TB slave with DVD RW and Blu-Ray RW.

As mainly a FPS fan I'll never go back to PC for that type of gaming.

Invincible
23-05-2015, 18:22
Your probably right I would be a PC gaming newbie and would know what to buy with hours of research. Have a feeling the Alienware website might make my eyes water

If you want a decent complete-PC, I wouldn't look at Alienware. You'll pay a hell more just for the name.

jimmyb_84
23-05-2015, 18:33
If you want a decent complete-PC, I wouldn't look at Alienware. You'll pay a hell more just for the name.

I'm open to suggestions as what and where to buy, I recall seeing somewhere that steam made there own machines too

Lars Rosenquist
23-05-2015, 18:41
You can get a machine pre-built by adding another 50 euro or so onto the prices mentioned earlier. And you'll get a lot more value for money that way than choosing Alienware. And I wouldn't give their Alpha 'console' line the time of day, it's a glorified laptop (a.k.a. 860m chipset).

NemethR
23-05-2015, 20:34
Sure, build one, not for project Cars, but for everything else :)

gpk99
24-05-2015, 00:42
ASUS motherboard...top quailty and built like a brick poophouse...checkout the lower models...like a A version.....excellent mobo...........good way to start your build

qbasiz
24-05-2015, 01:36
I used pc's mainly for work and used xbox for gaming needs. Now i have switched to PC gaming, and from my expierence PC can offer more
(data wise/mod's/in pCARS case custom paints). But the power of the console is everyone is on same specs (controller aside), switch it on
and start playing. PC can do the same and more, but none of that comes out the box.

I had medium experience with PC and found it do-able but time consuming. Not sure about the experience the OP has with PC gaming,
but i found the guys here can be very helpfull. If you have a old screen laying around i would advise you to use that for you data needs
(phone/tablet will do but 1 input device is better), and if your on a low budget don't spend money on parts that need replacing.
(u can get an SSD later, get a good CPU/GPU now). I bought my seperate parts form the cheapest stores i could find,
it worked but in hindsight i rather spend €30-50 more and have it ready to go. Long story short, if you put the effort into it.. its worth it

JDFSSS
24-05-2015, 04:57
it's just a question of what you can afford. pc is a better experience, but it will cost more.

Invincible
24-05-2015, 06:44
I'm open to suggestions as what and where to buy, I recall seeing somewhere that steam made there own machines too

If I would know were you live, maybe I could point you to some reasonable priced online retailers.
At least I could take a look into it. Right know I know mostly German and British retailers, but there is no point posting them if you live in Australia for example.

jimmyb_84
24-05-2015, 07:21
If I would know were you live, maybe I could point you to some reasonable priced online retailers.
At least I could take a look into it. Right know I know mostly German and British retailers, but there is no point posting them if you live in Australia for example.

I'm in the UK

N0body Of The Goat
24-05-2015, 07:28
And what is your budget?

Do you have anything, such as monitor; keyboard; mouse; operating system; that can be used on a new build?

Invincible
24-05-2015, 09:21
Maybe you could take a look here https://www.overclockers.co.uk/

I would strongly recommend a Nvidia Gpu-based system.

TrevorAustin
24-05-2015, 09:23
I'm in the UK

By the way.got mycstuff a mixture of box.co.uk and amazon

ELAhrairah
24-05-2015, 10:03
Make sure you put a 980 card in it. That card is future proof.

Also buy a cpu with overclock capacity. You can get 20% more out of a cpu.

MakoShark222
24-05-2015, 10:12
Cybertron was the best bang for the buck about 3 years ago. Even I bought one ;) much cheaper to buy than build then. I paid $1000 US for a I7 Crossfired 6800 16 gigs ram 2 TB hd and a lot more.

blot
24-05-2015, 12:06
Have a look at Scan.co.uk, Always used them for PC stuff.

NVI0U5
24-05-2015, 12:41
Im in the same boat esp with the xboxone to convert or not too, pc technology always getting outdated quickly makes it hard too

fitzsteve
24-05-2015, 12:48
You can always buy used, I picked up a nice i5 Motherboard bundle reasonably priced and that's serving me well as a second system currently with a GTX970 and plays this game on all Ultra 1080p

My day to day Race setup is on an AMD8350 with 2x GTX660 in SLI, this is about the same speed as the 970 but I'm using three screens, another benefit of playing on PC. I got an MSI Gaming Motherboard and the 8350 recently, new but quite resonantly priced.

Scan are good, I use them a lot, and shop around. overclockers, ebuyer, etc and look for deals. I got my 970 quite cheap on a black Friday deal.

vicdavery
24-05-2015, 15:51
After years of building my own PCs I've just bought my first complete from quietpc.co.uk.
I have to say I am seriously impressed. I went for the Serenity Ultimate Gamer, but given previous comments I'm guessing you might be looking at one of the cheaper ones. However the build quality is superb, the service was fantastic and Windows was installed with no, none, zero crapware which is what you normally get.

If you are interested in one that is quiet too, it's the way to go. My box with GTX980 is absolutely silent on idle, and even on load is so much quieter than anything I've put together.

Gavin Thomas
24-05-2015, 16:08
Do it!

When it comes to racing games, jumping to PC was the best decision I've ever made.
Instead of being limited to the likes of Forza and Gran Turismo which don't get me wrong are great in their own way, you get to enjoy the likes of Assetto Corsa, rFactor, iRacing, Formula Truck, Project CARS and the list can go on and on of great sims that are worth playing.

So don't think about it, just do it!

Lars Rosenquist
24-05-2015, 16:14
And that's just sim racing, wait until you have your first Steam Sale experience. :D

jimmyb_84
24-05-2015, 16:40
Thanks for all your thoughts and advice keep it coming!

I have some serious thinking to do, I want better telemetry a PC may be my only option

MisterO
24-05-2015, 18:31
And that's just sim racing, wait until you have your first Steam Sale experience. :D

Without them (and the occasional humble bundle), my steam library would propably way smaller :p

MakoShark222
24-05-2015, 20:16
I hope what I said earlier wasn't taken in offense. If I were into racers/sims like FPS games I'd build a dedicated PC just for racing and spare no expense!