PDA

View Full Version : Safety Cars?

Dents27
23-05-2015, 17:16
This is just an idea that I have, it may not be practical but it is just an inquiry. Will there be Safety Cars in Career mode? Lets say the two AI get into an accident where one has severe damage and there is debris on the track, the Safety Car gets deployed and the pit speed limiter comes on but you still have steering control. Then on the restart your engineer lets you know when you can go again (kinda like a rolling start).

Would make things interesting if there is a last minute Safety Car in an endurance race and you have the pressure right on you again!

Fsantospt
23-05-2015, 17:26
I agree, this would be awesome and more realistic, i hope they had this in a future update along with more staff on the pit stops, because they are like ghosts changing your tyres...

Ian Bell
23-05-2015, 17:28
I don't know guys, don't you think it would get a bit boring? That's the reason we don't have it TBH.

Thoughts?

(PS, More guys in the pit is coming. It's just an absolute animator's nightmare as we have so many different car types with fuel nozzles and wheels in different places.)

MysterG
23-05-2015, 17:30
Moved to Feature Suggestions

Fsantospt
23-05-2015, 17:34
Well, if some people find it boring it could be optional, and be turned off and on in the options menu, i actually would like to have safety cars, as it would make the game more realistic.
And about the pit crews i understand it might be difficult but I can waitfor it, it will make the game feel more alive.

Dents27
23-05-2015, 17:38
Personally I would love having the Safety Car, even if I'm winning the race by a large margin. It adds the extra unexpected element to the racing experience. Because in real life, leaders could have a massive lead taken away by 1 Safety Car.

Robbo-92
23-05-2015, 17:40
Maybe you could introduce a safety car in races over a certain length?

Ian Bell
23-05-2015, 17:41
Well, if some people find it boring it could be optional, and be turned off and on in the options menu, i actually would like to have safety cars, as it would make the game more realistic.
And about the pit crews i understand it might be difficult but I can waitfor it, it will make the game feel more alive.

It's a hell of a lot of work though. If it's not for most I don't think we'd want to put the time in which could be spent elsewhere.

wilf
23-05-2015, 18:11
Definitely think time could be spent elsewhere first, such as AI vulnerablilty (tyre temperature/reduced off-tarmac traction/wet conditions/damage/mechanical failure), ability to create custom champsionship seasons/careers and AI drivers with more personality/individuality so we get to recognise our AI opponents and care more about beating them and can become immersed in a season/career against them. Then it would possibly be more interesting to have safety cars.

AngelBrow
23-05-2015, 18:51
1. Add safety car for rolling start. Remember on GTR2 there was a safety car pulling into the pits heading the field.

2. Safety car would be absolutly amazing in race. If someone had a big accident. But only if it works perfectly. Not that it glitched after a small incident and stays out for 5-6 laps.

Make it optional? Some want it, some dont want it. Same with assists, same with weather, same with amount of opponents and so on. Not a priority, but a cool thing def.

mkstatto
23-05-2015, 18:55
I agree on the comments regarding time would be better spent else where. But I'm just going to put an idea in the mix on this as well. How about a virtual safety car (F1 inspired) where its a virtual safety car period and all cars have to post a set pace. Then the pitting is handled with normal pit coding.

fallfromgrace
23-05-2015, 21:14
Safety car would be cool, but for now there's seldom accidents including AI. Rather have an increased possibility for that. Don't know if I've even seen one prolonged yellow flag situation. AI:s seem to disappear quite fast when involved in race ending accidents. So what would we need safety cars for? I feel programming time could be spent elsewhere.

Linus27
23-05-2015, 21:19
Would also love safety car but as above, we need the AI to have some proper crashes, debris, or break downs first.

Nivracer
24-05-2015, 03:05
I would love to see a safety car added. Have it come out if a car is disabled or debris are within a certain distance from the track, a full track caution would come out. Or if a car was temporary disabled like a spin, the section would have a yellow, no passing allowed and limit the throttle input, or something like that. The have the option to turn it off. Then occasionally have the AI crash so I'm not the one always crashing or causing them.

madmax2069
24-05-2015, 03:26
1. Add safety car for rolling start. Remember on GTR2 there was a safety car pulling into the pits heading the field.

2. Safety car would be absolutly amazing in race. If someone had a big accident. But only if it works perfectly. Not that it glitched after a small incident and stays out for 5-6 laps.

Make it optional? Some want it, some dont want it. Same with assists, same with weather, same with amount of opponents and so on. Not a priority, but a cool thing def.

I agree 100% with this

blowfishrulez
24-05-2015, 08:04
A safety car is one of the core aspects in any oval racing. Can't imagine to run the Indy 500 without one.

loslogo
24-05-2015, 08:13
I don't know guys, don't you think it would get a bit boring? That's the reason we don't have it TBH.

Thoughts?

(PS, More guys in the pit is coming. It's just an absolute animator's nightmare as we have so many different car types with fuel nozzles and wheels in different places.)

Yeah safety cars seems like a bit of a vibe killer to be honest.

Guys in the pits sounds awesome, Fixing the pit setup menus would also be magic.

Also if their was saftey cars in a PS4 lobby the race would be griding to a halt every 20 seconds which would be brutally boring.

Alan Dallas
24-05-2015, 08:22

Thoughts?

Safety Car for Full course yellow on the Ovals is a must for any Simulator. Yes, it may be boring for a lap or 2 but it adds to the realism and immersion aspect for a simulation. Even if we had the option to toggle Safety Car/FCY off I would keep it on. I think it would be worth the time invested. Along with getting Black flagged for a Stop and Go or drive through. That automatic slow down just pulls you straight out of the simulated immersion.

dustyjo
24-05-2015, 08:57
Safety Car on ovals is pretty much mandatory. An ability to skip the safety car period in single player would be handy too.

AB_Attack
24-05-2015, 10:25

Thoughts?

I agree. Safety car has been something that people wanted for a long time for many games but it just doesn't add any fun at all. No need for safety cars. I bet it would be a gimmick and then people would want a tickbox to exclude it after it having interrupted enough races.

Ryzza5
25-05-2015, 06:38
Safety Cars is one of those 'First Penguin' ideas that I hope we implement for pCARS 2. Tie it to the 'rules/flags' enabled setting perhaps (and only if race laps > say 10). Don't enforce the pit speed limiter - trust the driver to do the right thing and you'll save work and increase immersion. (You could detect a position improvement when the green flag comes back out on the S/F line). Adds strategy, allows you to catch back up to leaders, or forces you to defend if you stretched out a lead.

AngelBrow
25-05-2015, 06:39
I did just a 2h race on Le mans last night,2 AI had a massive accident in front of me. He was almost wrecked, what I could see. That would have been a great time for a safety car, do I jump into the pits get some fresh rubber and not loose to much time or do I stay out?

Le mans would need 2 safety cars and nordschleife would need 3.

Anyone watched the F1 yesterday in Monaco?
A safety car could loose you the race.... more factors to think about.

I want it! But I agree there is other stuff that should be done first.
Bug fixes, AI fixes, pit guys and so on

rotorrian
25-05-2015, 07:41
I've played a few games with safety cars from the original GP and Nascar on PC to GTR2 etc. and I think they best way to implement would be the following workflow.

Accident Occurs
Yellow Flag is deployed
Vehicles have full control until their current lap is completed and they pass the pitlane exit [TRIGGER POINT for AI MODE]
upon crossing the line become AI and will travel to behind Safety Car (or skip to behind safety Car)
Damaged cars + cars entering pit lane can refuel + fix cars etc + retire from race (still collect points race points without being DQ)
Exiting pit lane become AI and will travel to behind Safety Car (or skip to behind safety car)

[SAFETY CAR Menu Opens]
Retire from Race
Edit Pit Strategy [OPEN PIT STRATEGY MENU]
Vehicle Telemetry [View engine stats, tire stats, lap timing, damage report]
VOTE TO GREEN FLAG (This option become available once the last car reaches pit lane or all other racers vote to restart race and will push the outstanding car into pitlane)
VOTE TO RESTART RACE (HOST ONLY MENU ONLY AVAILABLE ON LAP 1)

Race time skips to restart

Safety Car option in Menu

Full Control - Full Control of vehicles with Vote to restart - Driver have to keep heat in their tires warm manually and maintain a speed under 100 km/h or receive a Black Flag
Restricted Full Lap - Drivers skip to AI behind the SC and watch the final lap of the safety (Speed is limited but steering has full control) - Tires receive nominal warm state.
Restricted Half Lap - Same as above but Half Lap
Restricted 400m - Same as above but 400m
Locked - Same as Rolling start. Locked steering + Speed)

Thanks to the dev in advance this is sort of an extension of the GTR2 SC.

Sonny Crockett
25-05-2015, 07:43
Safety Cars is one of those 'First Penguin' ideas that I hope we implement for pCARS 2. Tie it to the 'rules/flags' enabled setting perhaps (and only if race laps > say 10). Don't enforce the pit speed limiter - trust the driver to do the right thing and you'll save work and increase immersion. (You could detect a position improvement when the green flag comes back out on the S/F line). Adds strategy, allows you to catch back up to leaders, or forces you to defend if you stretched out a lead.

Oh...pCars 2 eh? So we will see that in like 2017/2018?

FLX81
25-05-2015, 18:41
It's a hell of a lot of work though. If it's not for most I don't think we'd want to put the time in which could be spent elsewhere.

Bit surprised to read this. Not only is it an imho very interesting strategic element in racing, I also wonder how you plan on handling wrecked cars and debris in oval racing without a safety car?

Alan Dallas
25-05-2015, 18:51
I've had FCY come out in a race against AI on Indy(125 mile race) in rF2 that I wasn't involved with. Had no idea what happened but took advantage of the Yellow to head into the pits for a top up and tires. Best part, didn't lose position and the whole process felt natural. :)

ukfan758
26-05-2015, 04:21
I thought I read somewhere last year that the safety car was planned to be added after release. Either they were wrong or SMS changed their minds.

Ryzza5
26-05-2015, 12:02
Oh...pCars 2 eh? So we will see that in like 2017/2018?
No idea - but for the amount of time/work required it would probably make sense to have it in a sequel.

JayRocVW
27-05-2015, 15:29
I think it would be a great feature in career mode with the option to turn it off and on but I know that would be a huge project. In my opinion having a more realistic AI would be a better upgrade, in my 2 career seasons in the Clio cup I still have not witnessed the computer have any issues I.E (Flat tire, Engine trouble, Accidents etc.....) Anyways keep up the awesome work boys! Loving the game regardless!!

Jan Studenski
03-06-2015, 15:53
+1 for Safety Cars

In my opinion its a must
BUT
It should come along with realistic retirment (so ie. the cars that have blown engine / too much damage ... get pushed away / disappear after a few minutes (and not seconds) so the Safety Car has too be deployed ... or ie. Safety Car because of Debris on track ... or ie. Safety Car because of Thunderstorm (Openwheeler only because it gets too dark)...

If i remember correctly wasnt it once said to be implemented?

krigart69
04-06-2015, 12:22
+ 1 for safety cars. It makes the experience even more realistic ;)

Cholton82
04-06-2015, 18:36
Would love to have safety cars , the more authentic the better !

AB_Attack
08-06-2015, 12:08
Along with getting Black flagged for a Stop and Go or drive through. That automatic slow down just pulls you straight out of the simulated immersion.

Agreed. This very much.

Sonic6L
08-06-2015, 14:50
Codies did safety cars/flags/penalties/pit engineer right in F1 2013 I thought.

If the safety car comes out and you're at the back of the pack, the game allows you to go full speed to catch up to the pack, then it takes over in terms of the speed (in the sense that you can hold throttle down and it'll only go to a set speed, if you let throttle go it slows down), but you retain all steering ability so you can weave in and out to keep your tyres warm.

Codies did very well in getting the flags/penalties/safety car/pit engineer during races right in F1 2013 IMO. I haven't played 2014 so I can't comment on that.

I'd love to see a similar system in PCars.

Linky for similar system I'd love to see in PCars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o29J8yjjqss

In terms of the safety cars out, does PCars have a system in the works where the race distance get's increased? I.e. in the recent BTCC race and Oulton Park, we saw the Safety car come out in Race 2 (I believe), the car was out for a few laps and the race distance got increased (To a maximum of 3 laps in line with BTCC rules) before the race was red flagged. Does PCars have a similar system in the works or have you thought of something totally different or not at all? I.e. increasing race distance to a set amount depending on how long the safety car is out for?

LADY GEMMA JANE
08-06-2015, 14:57
I would love to drive the safety car :beguiled:

MULTIVITZ
08-06-2015, 15:19
Lol
Ai control is ok but the tyre temps will have to be maintained, dropped or increased. The FA can be a nightmare for keeping temperature in tyres. Maybe the Ai control could mimic the weaving needed and just have the temps settle down to an average of the previous laps temperatures per wheel? Have it like a warm up lap. Having the crashed cars ghosting after a few seconds may make the Ai control easier to implement when driving through the crash zone. The crashed cars would have to be undrivable and the saftey car a feature option only avaliable on longer races maybe, with pit option that would be automatic driving in and out unless the race has restarted. And the race manager could say stuff that would be useful?

Roger Prynne
08-06-2015, 15:25
In terms of the safety cars out, does PCars have a system where the race distance get's increased? I.e. in the recent BTCC race and Oulton Park, we saw the Safety car come out in Race 2 (I believe), the car was out for a few laps and the race distance got increased (To a maximum of 3 laps in line with BTCC rules) before the race was red flagged. Does PCars have a similar system? I.e. increasing race distance to a set amount depending on how long the safety car is out for?

Ummm we don't have a Safety Car, that's what this thread is about.

Sonic6L
08-06-2015, 15:35
[/B]
Ummm we don't have a Safety Car, that's what this thread is about.

Edited my post after you quoted it.

Lol
Ai control is ok but the tyre temps will have to be maintained, dropped or increased. The FA can be a nightmare for keeping temperature in tyres. Maybe the Ai control could mimic the weaving needed and just have the temps settle down to an average of the previous laps temperatures per wheel? Have it like a warm up lap. Having the crashed cars ghosting after a few seconds may make the Ai control easier to implement when driving through the crash zone. The crashed cars would have to be undrivable and the saftey car a feature option only avaliable on longer races maybe, with pit option that would be automatic driving in and out unless the race has restarted. And the race manager could say stuff that would be useful?

The control in the above video IS NOT AI controlled. Top Speed is limited but you, the player, control how much you press the throttle, how hard you brake, how much or how little you weave. I played F1 2013 last night and managed to get the safety car out on the first lap just to see what it was like and the only thing the AI does is limit the top speed the car can go. Even with the throttle pressed fully down, there is no limit until you catch up to the pack and are in formation. Only then the top speed gets limited. The rest is up to the player which IMO is a good system.

Gavin Thomas
08-06-2015, 15:44
I would love to drive the safety car :beguiled:

Me too! I think it would be an awesome feature for multi-player races.

That player could be like the race controller, who controls the green lights, monitors cars dangerous behaviour etc and more importantly drives the safety car when needed.

MULTIVITZ
08-06-2015, 16:01
Edited my post after you quoted it.

The control in the above video IS NOT AI controlled. Top Speed is limited but you, the player, control how much you press the throttle, how hard you brake, how much or how little you weave. I played F1 2013 last night and managed to get the safety car out on the first lap just to see what it was like and the only thing the AI does is limit the top speed the car can go. Even with the throttle pressed fully down, there is no limit until you catch up to the pack and are in formation. Only then the top speed gets limited. The rest is up to the player which IMO is a good system.

My suggestion had the programmers task in mind but the F1 game has it spot on.
I was concerned that if the player had control they might muck around if the car bounderies were not programmed right.

Sonic6L
08-06-2015, 17:53
My suggestion had the programmers task in mind but the F1 game has it spot on.
I was concerned that if the player had control they might muck around if the car bounderies were not programmed right.

You'll get DQ'd in F1 if you try to mess about while the safety car is out. I had it out and stopped on track and got DQ'd.

Roger Prynne
08-06-2015, 19:06
Me too! I think it would be an awesome feature for multi-player races.

That player could be like the race controller, who controls the green lights, monitors cars dangerous behaviour etc and more importantly drives the safety car when needed.

What we used to do back in the day was nominate someone for the safety car by just using whatever car was available, worked quite well actually.

jason
11-06-2015, 02:27
I honestly can't believe we are even talking about it , I'm positive I read that this game will have a safety car ? I cant remember if it is written on the ps4 packaging on the back .... Will look when I get home .

This is a must have for this game .

General_RIMT
11-06-2015, 05:13
I think that it definitely adds to the immersion, but there's a ton of other things that i would want to see in the game before adding this. The dev time would be immense in something like this, because alot can go wrong, and it depends how full-fleshed it is. On LE mans and other long tracks.... damn that safety car period would be so long, and would only make sense on long races. But yeah, on ovals for indy cars and nascar, this is a must. so, in my opinion, if you were to develop the safety car (i remember the looong debate on WMD forums) i would just focus on oval tracks (and then other series if you find time way down the dev road), because that's where it's most needed, and where it will be missed/wanted big time. That could, in turn, delay the release of the oval, stock car, and indycar dlc releases though. i can wait for it, not sure how long other people could though :P Really look at all the options and scenarious though. this isnt something to be rushed.

Sonic6L
11-06-2015, 08:42
I think that it definitely adds to the immersion, but there's a ton of other things that i would want to see in the game before adding this. The dev time would be immense in something like this, because alot can go wrong, and it depends how full-fleshed it is. On LE mans and other long tracks.... damn that safety car period would be so long, and would only make sense on long races. But yeah, on ovals for indy cars and nascar, this is a must. so, in my opinion, if you were to develop the safety car (i remember the looong debate on WMD forums) i would just focus on oval tracks (and then other series if you find time way down the dev road), because that's where it's most needed, and where it will be missed/wanted big time. That could, in turn, delay the release of the oval, stock car, and indycar dlc releases though. i can wait for it, not sure how long other people could though :P Really look at all the options and scenarious though. this isnt something to be rushed.

All Series need it IMO. Not just oval racing.

EFCMatthew
12-06-2015, 15:10
But the AI never have any crashes, i wish they would and then i feel a safety car would be amazing to have in game.

Sonic6L
12-06-2015, 15:33
But the AI never have any crashes, i wish they would and then i feel a safety car would be amazing to have in game.

Maybe it's just my copy but I get quite a few offs, bumps, scrapes and crashes on the Renault Clio Cup, 29 cars at Silverstone, 12 laps with difficulty set to 60%. Nothing major that would warrant a safety car mind you but the AI doesn't run 100% problem free.

Raven403
12-06-2015, 16:02
Safety Car is a 100% must have in Oval Racing. But it may be too much work to implement for this game. What might work just as well is the Safety car Graphic/ FCY and some speed control implementation. I know at least for our league we do our own Call outs and system for safety cars (everyone just slows down) but it would be really nice to have it added to the game in SOME fashion.

EHM
18-06-2015, 13:31
Safety car wouldn't be boring at all, I think it would add a tonne of immersion too. If some people don't like it they can turn it off.

Adding a crane that comes and picks up a wreckage, maybe that would be a little too hard. :p

Raven403
18-06-2015, 13:33
Safety car wouldn't be boring at all, I think it would add a tonne of immersion too. If some people don't like it they can turn it off.

Adding a crane that comes and picks up a wreckage, maybe that would be a little too hard. :p

that'd be sweet tho. But having an actual modeled Safety Car isnt a must have but maybe at the very least a VSC with onscreen prompt and speed limit for Full course yellow and countdown to restart cant be that complicated. Maybe it is I honestly have no clue

ThreeAngryOwls
18-06-2015, 22:41

Thoughts?

I think for the most part it should at least be optional, for single player and multiplayer. There's a huge following that like the make the game as realistic as possible, and having features like this, amongst other things, supports racing leagues and streaming value.

It could be seen as boring, true, but if people are willing to spend time playing a game that is built around the very idea of realism, I think that a feature like this would be most welcome.

NemethR
19-06-2015, 15:59
I think for the most part it should at least be optional, for single player and multiplayer. There's a huge following that like the make the game as realistic as possible, and having features like this, amongst other things, supports racing leagues and streaming value.

It could be seen as boring, true, but if people are willing to spend time playing a game that is built around the very idea of realism, I think that a feature like this would be most welcome.

From a point of view, as a feature, it would be nice.

BUT: When would we use it?!

Formation lap?! :yes: But we don't have a formation lap atm.

At big crashes?! :no: No, because there are no so big crashes, and even if yes, the car gets reset, or returns to the pits in a very short time.
So by the time the safety car would come out, the cars that crashed are not on the track anymore.

But a Formation lap, led by a Safety car, and maybe a final lap into the pits at the end of the race would be really nice :)

Raven403
19-06-2015, 17:09
From a point of view, as a feature, it would be nice.

BUT: When would we use it?!

Formation lap?! :yes: But we don't have a formation lap atm.

At big crashes?! :no: No, because there are no so big crashes, and even if yes, the car gets reset, or returns to the pits in a very short time.
So by the time the safety car would come out, the cars that crashed are not on the track anymore.

But a Formation lap, led by a Safety car, and maybe a final lap into the pits at the end of the race would be really nice :)

Online mostly I'd say. And my league could really get use out of it. I think the general consensus Ian had was that it wasn't included cuz it would be boring, but if it's an option like pretty much everything else in pcars, it'd be a sweet option to have

mgsilentfate11
27-08-2015, 20:00
How could you have a simulation of oval racing without a pace car? You do realize that a race more than 30 to 40 laps on a 1 1/2 mile oval will have most cars will be at least 3-5 laps down? A NASCAR yellow flag is entirely different than a F1 yellow flag. I feel like that last line could have been a quote from the movie, "The Ballad of Ricky Bobby", but it is true. I know us, Americans are viewed as the crazy Uncle of the World Family, but we bought a Simulation Racing Game too. I bought this game with the intention of playing a racing simulator. This game, at the moment, is a great Car Simulator but not Racing. I really hope big changes soon. I guess I should stop comparing my new girlfriends to my belated wife, Papyrus Racing. Oh rest her soul.

stangnutlx
28-08-2015, 01:16
darker tire marks please! burnouts no fun

jason
28-08-2015, 01:35
darker tire marks please! burnouts no fun

+1 ......

tclancey
31-08-2015, 19:07
I would love the addition of a safety car, give me as much realism as possible, I'll soak it up. But I do agree it should be optional.

Martin03
05-09-2015, 23:15

Thoughts?

Well I do ofc understand what you mean since it takes some work ofc to get a safety car in game, and boring to do all that work for something people would not want...

But, I do think many people want it, and if some dont then have it as optional in settings. Since if you are going for sim game then I think it makes it much better and complete as sim game.

mkstatto
07-09-2015, 13:21
Well I do ofc understand what you mean since it takes some work ofc to get a safety car in game, and boring to do all that work for something people would not want...

But, I do think many people want it, and if some dont then have it as optional in settings. Since if you are going for sim game then I think it makes it much better and complete as sim game.

A half way house idea for less coding would be a virtual safety car where you are limited to a set time, you would not have to alter the pit code that way. (FYI - I know I've already said this earlier in the thread, but it was a while ago);)

birdmanbcon90
07-01-2016, 03:04
Adding safety cars would be great. I love a great racing with safety cars. What would be cool is to see VSC and SC added.

Konan
07-01-2016, 06:53
Adding safety cars would be great. I love a great racing with safety cars. What would be cool is to see VSC and SC added.

I agree but when do you see a SC on track? After a big incident and those are not happening at the moment...
Maybe they could implement it for bad weather,it would be exciting to gamble:am I gonna pit or not?
I think they should improve the flag system first...
Anyway,if there is one coming,it probably will be in Pcars2...