PDA

View Full Version : Launching from the starting line

ashasha
23-05-2015, 18:07
Yet another ridiculously stupid question, but I'm just trying to figure out how I should be starting a race. I've got a TX wheel on the xBox One and I can use the clutch button (A) and rev it up, but it does seem that when I dump it that my revs just die (perhaps some kind of traction control or something?). I can also try to get the revs up while applying the brake and then release on the green light and that seems to work sometimes....more often not being very good though.

So my question is real simple; what exactly should I be trying to do here to get a perfect launch?

And yeah I'm pretty embarrassed asking this so you can tease me a bit. :)

apexatspeed
23-05-2015, 18:19
The lights are not random so if you learn when it drops you can get the jump on everyone. In almost every lobby I smoke everyone of the line because I already dropped it into gear before the green lights come on.

dyr_gl
23-05-2015, 18:21
ThereŽs an autoclutch assist in the menus.

- If you have it off, use the clutch pedal/button in combination with the throttle to start. Be agressive, drop the clutch pretty suddenly. Each car is different though.
- If you have it on, use the handbrake button as if it was a clutch.

Autoclutch ON jumps in and acts like an anti-stall if you are agressive releasing it off the line. YouŽll bog down badly. The handbrake start is good enough and the easiest one to get right.

ashasha
23-05-2015, 20:03
Thanks. I just remembered that I can set the TX up so that it automatically engages the clutch when I use the shifter so I'll try that too.

Sounds like I just need to practice a bit more.

lordymatsuo
23-05-2015, 22:13
I have a similar problem, i always get bogged down on the start and lose about 3 places in online sessions

Alan Dallas
23-05-2015, 23:30
Depending on the car, some have better stick from their pre-warmed tires. Practice launching the car in Time Trial to find the optimal RPM for launching.

Ch1ps N Queso
24-05-2015, 03:59
Thanks. I just remembered that I can set the TX up so that it automatically engages the clutch when I use the shifter so I'll try that too.

Sounds like I just need to practice a bit more.

As someone else mentioned the handbrake is your friend. I'm using the TX as well. At the start of the race I enable the hand brake, shift to first, give it some gas, and release the handbrake on green.

Initially I was trying to time the green perfectly but I've had a couple drive through penalties. They're depressing. I'm playing it safe now and waiting for the green.