PDA

View Full Version : PC World Project Cars Review

Bouyo
24-05-2015, 04:30
Just read this review and think it's spot on: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2925602/review-project-cars-and-car-mechanic-simulator-2015-cater-to-gearheads-but-keep-it-too-casual.html

I love Project Cars and have been playing TOO much of it on my T300rs but I can't help but agree with the comments about it being impossible to play properly with a controller, and the lack of any tutorials what-so-ever wrt setting up your car and wrt FFB sliders is a real shame.

Like I said; I can't get enough of this game, but I also can't help but agree with the comments in the review. Can more explanatory text be included for all of the games sliders in the upcoming patch?

Brocass
24-05-2015, 07:35
Spot on? It read to me like a hate blog from an Assetto Corsa fanboy.

TrevorAustin
24-05-2015, 07:51
I think it is heavily biased against the game, but do agree with sone of the bits about the career mode stuff. Personally, as i said yesyerday, i wish that hadn't been botgered wirh but it seems like the console users do prefer that. Which i never did, having been a console user for 11 years until this I've always disliked all the career and grind stuff.

jimmyb_84
24-05-2015, 07:51
I can confirm that Project Cars is not impossible with a controller, it take a little change to settings (mode 2) and a little bit of practice....

I did this last night with the controller

http://youtu.be/di0CBQ8XrhA

MysterG
24-05-2015, 07:58
I love the career mode on PC.
Horses for courses, but I think it's a great feature of the game. Not having it would reduce pCARS appeal hugely IMO.

TrevorAustin
24-05-2015, 08:09
I love the career mode on PC.
Horses for courses, but I think it's a great feature of the game. Not having it would reduce pCARS appeal hugely IMO.

Yes, i get that. Just diluted development effort, made tge game soooooo big. But i would guess 3-6 months and the problems will be all gone. I'm still spending time with 2 cars and 2 tracks. Barely touched the surface:)

gibon85
24-05-2015, 17:21

Funny, he didnt mention assetto corsa once. And it is spot on, he hilighted main issues with the game from his experiance with it and i would agree with most of those. :confused:

MysterG
24-05-2015, 17:24
Funny, he didnt mention assetto corsa once. And it is spot on, he hilighted main issues with the game from his experiance with it and i would agree with most of those. :confused:

Well he did, but only once as far as I can see.
Not a very well written review though IMO.

Oi Oi JC
24-05-2015, 17:33
Just read this review and think it's spot on: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2925602/review-project-cars-and-car-mechanic-simulator-2015-cater-to-gearheads-but-keep-it-too-casual.html

I love Project Cars and have been playing TOO much of it on my T300rs but I can't help but agree with the comments about it being impossible to play properly with a controller, and the lack of any tutorials what-so-ever wrt setting up your car and wrt FFB sliders is a real shame.

Like I said; I can't get enough of this game, but I also can't help but agree with the comments in the review. Can more explanatory text be included for all of the games sliders in the upcoming patch?

I have no problem playing with a controller on PS4, xbone on the other hand........looking forward to the patch for that!

Bouyo
24-05-2015, 21:16
I guess I liked the review because it was coming from someone who is not 'into' racing games but enjoys them casually, and he was being perfectly honest about his experience in finding the game hard to get into.

From what I understood PCars was supposed to be a highly accessible, yet very realistic racing game. It's realistic for sure, but it could be so so much more accessible than it is. Why does every controller (and wheel) player have to spend session upon session just dialing in the controls to make the game simply playable? I'm not talking about fine tuning, I'm talking about simple out-of-the-box playability.

Personally I love the myriad number of options available, however I think that without decent text explaining them or even interactive tutorials/videos in-game, people of all walks of life cannot and will not take the time to enjoy this game. It's a shame and I hope it can be improved.

ROTTEN
24-05-2015, 21:21
I can't help but agree with the comments about it being impossible to play properly with a controller

That's interesting. I use a controller on PS4 and use no assists at all. I have no problems whatsoever and it feels/responds perfectly. Too many people expect casual auto-aim ..... it just ain't gonna happen.

Bouyo
24-05-2015, 21:34
That's interesting. I use a controller on PS4 and use no assists at all. I have no problems whatsoever and it feels/responds perfectly. Too many people expect casual auto-aim ..... it just ain't gonna happen.

I've raced with the controller a bunch, dialed the steering sensitivity to 0 and it's still super sensitive. Maybe I could mess around again and again with the settings, like increasing dead zone and steering ratio of the car and throttle dead zone, but which casual gamer has time for all that rubbish?

It must feel like treading on egg shells for a large number of people who bought this game. Try taking the RUF-CTR3 SMS out for a spin with the controller and you'll do exactly that.

EDIT: From PC World: "It's like trying to fly a jet with a toaster for a controller while wearing oven mitts"

Shogun613
24-05-2015, 21:51
I've raced with the controller a bunch, dialed the steering sensitivity to 0 and it's still super sensitive. Maybe I could mess around again and again with the settings, like increasing dead zone and steering ratio of the car and throttle dead zone, but which casual gamer has time for all that rubbish?

It must feel like treading on egg shells for a large number of people who bought this game. Try taking the RUF-CTR3 SMS out for a spin with the controller and you'll do exactly that.

EDIT: From PC World: "It's like trying to fly a jet with a toaster for a controller while wearing oven mitts"

Try raising the controller filtering and speed sensitivity. I'd say to about 50/75 respectively, as a starting point. Those two settings are what really cuts the twitchy stuff down.

Oi Oi JC
24-05-2015, 23:09
I'm using controller input mode 2 but have set all dead zones to 10 & sensitivity to 25, speed sensitivity to 65 & controller filtering sensitivity to 45.

I drive using no assists, manual gears with auto clutch & find these settings work well for me, sometimes if the car I'm driving still feels a little nervous I adjust the cars steering ratio down to around 16-16.5 which helps a lot.

MiZtErNiCe
24-05-2015, 23:41
not sure why you guys are changing the controller settings, i am doing really fast laps with a Formula A car with standard controller settings.

dont agree with that review at all! i have played almost every driving game/sim since the 1990's and Project cars is by far the best.

TrevorAustin
24-05-2015, 23:45
Newbies, im driving with my eyes shut hands behind my bback, facing away from the screen and using chopsticks to move the amiga controller.

Shogun613
25-05-2015, 00:07
^LMAO

yusupov
25-05-2015, 00:09

assetto corsa has fanboys?? nonsense...:D