PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else loving the BMW M1 Procar?

Luke Townsend
24-05-2015, 12:49
Just started a career invitation with the BMW M1 Procar and it's wonderful! :) Default setup feels pretty good but understeering (which is fair enough with a default setup as it's less hairy when getting started). Dropping the front tyre pressures as guided by the tuning pages makes it turn in a bit more firmly. First race is at Spa so also dropped the default downforce a bit, but keeping enough so it's not too hard for me to handle. It's a powerful car but pretty settled out the bends and when the rear has stepped out I've been able to catch it (which is not always the case for me lol). I've even accidentally powerslid it round some of the corners. ;) Brakes seem powerful too considering its age.

If it hadn't been in a career invite I might never have tried it, but currently it's one of my favourite tin tops. :)

E30_Hntsvl
24-05-2015, 13:01
Its my favorite car also. The M1 at Willow Springs is perfect.

Luke Townsend
24-05-2015, 14:44
Its my favorite car also. The M1 at Willow Springs is perfect.

Excellent! I'll give that circuit a try soon! :)

Dynomight Motorsports
08-07-2015, 12:31
What kind of Tire pressures are you running?

Luke Townsend
08-07-2015, 12:46
What kind of Tire pressures are you running?

Must admit, I've been neglecting career (mainly playing online) so haven't driven the M1 much recently. When I was testing it at Spa, I reduced front tyre pressure from default 1.50 to 1.40. That makes turn-in a bit sharper. Rear pressures I left at default (can't remember what default is off-hand, sorry). I also stiffen the rear sway bar from default of 26 to 33. That helps increase turn-in a bit too. Downforce at Spa I have set to 4 (should go lower but for me it becomes less controllable.) I'm not a tuning expert at all, but those changes make it better for me - still controllable and predictable but able to attack the corners without the front understeering.

RAVEracer
08-07-2015, 13:05
I must say I seriously didn't expect it to be this fun to drive. And the SMS livery is simply put, The Best :cool:

hoodi4cars
08-07-2015, 13:42
I can still remember when I made a thread 1 or 2 years ago during development where I pointed out how good this car feels for me to drive and that it should be the targeted physics and ffb behaviour for all cars in the game. in terms of quality i mean, not that every car should feel the same. It is still my favorite now :)

IJerichoI
08-07-2015, 13:48
I can only agree with all of you. Not to forget the absolutely crisp sound - this is how a racecar must sound!

pigsy
08-07-2015, 13:49
Yes one of the better cars where I can feel the front end grip.

Schnizz58
08-07-2015, 14:28
One of my favorites in this game for sure. I didn't like the car at all in Forza but I love the way it drives in Pcars.

chig88
08-07-2015, 14:40
Don't like the looks, but it sounds great & it's an interesting car to drive.

Racefreak
08-07-2015, 14:50
I was in love with that car since shift 2

graveltrap
08-07-2015, 14:51
The M1 Procar is currently one of my favourite cars in the game, sound, speed fun handling :) I'm really enjoying recreating the Procar Championship races from '79 and 80 in quick race. The 80s slick tyre is rather good as well :)

I like it so much I tried to get an online series going on PS4, but that seems to be an epic failure :(

Poulka
08-07-2015, 14:57
This cars is a blast to drive. I have driven it at Bathurst among many other places. But like E30 said earlier driving them at willow springs is awesome. This is a great car. I love using it quick race and it just quenches my thirst lol. I race about once a week maybe twice. I have to get one of my buddies on this game and set up a league.

Lawndarts
08-07-2015, 15:44
I too just started the invitation last night after my Clio championship...

Wow!

It's like a diffrent game! The car drives great, I can't get the tires to temp despite driving the doors off the thing... It's unique behavior prompted me to look up some data on the car and realized the tires are so wide it really explains the handling. It's clear I need to put some time into this car and setups. I can't believe how good this car looks for an 81' car... Just ffollowing the AI shows amazing detail and the way the car reacts to the track and curbs just watching AI is hypnotic.

But literally a diffrent game... When I exceed track limits I get a big message in the middle of the screen, not off to the left side like I saw in all the Clio races.

Brent G
08-07-2015, 16:30
Oh yes! I love the shit out of it, with a few tweaks to the set up its a winner for sure. Just hope were gonna get more group 4 beasties so its not a 1 make series when I race it.

Luke Townsend
08-07-2015, 16:38
I too just started the invitation last night after my Clio championship...

Wow!

It's like a diffrent game! The car drives great, I can't get the tires to temp despite driving the doors off the thing... It's unique behavior prompted me to look up some data on the car and realized the tires are so wide it really explains the handling. It's clear I need to put some time into this car and setups. I can't believe how good this car looks for an 81' car... Just ffollowing the AI shows amazing detail and the way the car reacts to the track and curbs just watching AI is hypnotic.

But literally a diffrent game... When I exceed track limits I get a big message in the middle of the screen, not off to the left side like I saw in all the Clio races.

Good to hear you're having fun with the car! Definitely helps the immersion factor when you spend a little time checking out the car IRL like you have.

Re the big track limits messages in middle of the screen - that's actually a known bug! They will be back to their old place in a patch or so. Yeah, I don't mind them in the middle either! :)

Luke Townsend
08-07-2015, 16:40
I like it so much I tried to get an online series going on PS4, but that seems to be an epic failure :(

That's a shame. PC lobbies are mostly GT3. Shame the lack of imagination people have. There are some awesome cars in this game. Why do they stick to one class?

John Hargreaves
08-07-2015, 16:40
Love this car, anyone not tried it yet, don't miss out, it's a masterpiece.

Mowzer
08-07-2015, 17:01
I really like the M1 procar myself it's a blast to drive on most circuits :D.

Paul Swanepoel
08-07-2015, 17:10
Don't like the looks...

How very dare you ! ;)

Kelderek
08-07-2015, 18:18
It's a great car and it's really nice to see such a rare car in Pcars.

The BMW M1 Procar series only run for two seasons (1979-1980). Not sure how many they made, but since only a little more than 400 of the M1 road car was ever made, it can't have been many. I seriously doubt that we'll see any of them on a live racetrack, they are just too rare. The last one put up for auction was 2011, sale price about a million USD...

e15f
08-07-2015, 18:48
Hello guys, I can't find this M1 procar is it dlc?

watchumacallit
08-07-2015, 18:52

I have the same issue. I use to have it but after 2.0 it's gone. Anybody know where it's at?

Stag
08-07-2015, 18:54
One for sale in Germany 600k Thought they were 50k not so long ago

Paul Swanepoel
08-07-2015, 19:26

this is part of the LIMITED EDITION CAR PACK DLC.

Cars in this pack are:

BMW M1 Procar (E26/1)
Ford Mk. IV
McLaren F1
Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe DTM
Sauber C9 Mercedes

chig88
08-07-2015, 20:18
How very dare you ! ;)

;).

hkraft300
08-07-2015, 20:28
GT3 cars are so boring in comparison to the M1
Anyone tried the 320 Turbo? 9500rpm little turbo rocket...

Schnizz58
08-07-2015, 20:33
Yep, love that one too once I got it set up right. Actually all the BMWs in the game are a lot of fun to drive. Even the 1M isn't bad. It's gutless but very stable and makes a good starter car.

LADY GEMMA JANE
08-07-2015, 20:33
I'm lovin it

falm
08-07-2015, 20:35
Up to now it's the car where I put the most KM on. Had troubles with the default setup but found now a tune that fits to my driving style.
Still running training laps on SPA to prepare for the BMW M1 Procar invitational event.

John Hargreaves
08-07-2015, 20:43
Interesting fact of the day:
Most expensive car to be sold at auction: 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO, $38m. Most expensive Andy Warhol work, 'Silver Car Crash' $105m, which was actually a screenprint.

One of the few works that Warhol ever hand painted himself was the BMW M1 art car (which we have a slightly mad version of in the game). It took him about half an hour to paint it (he actually finished it before the film crew there to record the event had done setting up their gear), which makes it potentially the most valuable car that ever was by some margin, but it would depend on there being someone daft enough to pay out that sort of money to buy it.

AdM1
08-07-2015, 20:56
I love it, played it in the early days of getting the game before I became GT3 obsessed.

Luke Townsend
08-07-2015, 21:00

Sounds cool but not tried that one much yet. Must give it a go! :) So many cars, too little time! :D

Luke Townsend
08-07-2015, 21:03
I love it, played it in the early days of getting the game before I became GT3 obsessed.

Ah well I guess that's why when I play GT3 online I'm never near the front. I'm guessing a lot of GT3 players drive them almost exclusively and really get to know them round the various tracks. (Or I'm lacking talent. Most likely a combination of both!)

Luke Townsend
08-07-2015, 21:04
One of the few works that Warhol ever hand painted himself was the BMW M1 art car (which we have a slightly mad version of in the game). It took him about half an hour to paint it (he actually finished it before the film crew there to record the event had done setting up their gear), which makes it potentially the most valuable car that ever was by some margin, but it would depend on there being someone daft enough to pay out that sort of money to buy it.

Wow, cheers for the info Roger! Totally crazy haha!! :)

e15f
08-07-2015, 21:05
this is part of the LIMITED EDITION CAR PACK DLC.

Cars in this pack are:

BMW M1 Procar (E26/1)
Ford Mk. IV
McLaren F1
Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe DTM
Sauber C9 Mercedes

Thanks for confirming geez.

graveltrap
08-07-2015, 21:05
http://youtu.be/fvbQgmUAVzU

Little video on the Art Car...

AdM1
08-07-2015, 21:09
Ah well I guess that's why when I play GT3 online I'm never near the front. I'm guessing a lot of GT3 players drive them almost exclusively and really get to know them round the various tracks. (Or I'm lacking talent. Most likely a combination of both!)

You're just slow..

Only kidding ;). Probably part the reason yeah, I usually come on the podium unless I get stuck behind some cars for a while and lose the front runners.

Although that said I think GT3 is just one of the easiest classes to drive so more people are going to be good at it. I had some prototype online fun and destroyed the lobby I was playing with at the time but they may have been noobs.

I use AI to judge my pace. If I can keep in the top 3 with AI at 80 I'll be just as good online imo.

falm
08-07-2015, 22:02

Do you run default tunes or your own ones. Tried the Bentley Continental GT3 but was struggling to stay on track.
Maybe any advice on a beginner GT3 car?

graveltrap
08-07-2015, 22:14
Shush with the GT3 chat :p

http://youtu.be/JO2_ZkaTGPY

Lawndarts
09-07-2015, 00:05
I've noticed that using the suggested shift point (bold line on the tach) is actually much slower... You need to rev this car out to redline to get all the potential out of it. I'm assuming that shift line is from a reference to an endurance version of the car.

poirqc
09-07-2015, 00:09
A pretty fun car indeed!

Luke Townsend
09-07-2015, 05:47
Do you run default tunes or your own ones. Tried the Bentley Continental GT3 but was struggling to stay on track.
Maybe any advice on a beginner GT3 car?

I read somewhere that the McLaren GT3 is the best all-rounder, and I'm sticking with that at the moment - it's easy to drive with real assists on. I do tune it a bit but can't remember what exactly - I find all the cars understeer by default so I usually drop front tyre pressures a little and stiffen the rear to get more turn in. But I'm no way a tuning pro so don't take my word as gospel! :)

Luke Townsend
09-07-2015, 05:47
I've noticed that using the suggested shift point (bold line on the tach) is actually much slower... You need to rev this car out to redline to get all the potential out of it. I'm assuming that shift line is from a reference to an endurance version of the car.

Wow, that's a good tip! Thanks. :)

Luke Townsend
09-07-2015, 05:53
You're just slow..

Haha you are definitely not wrong!! :D

Only kidding ;). Probably part the reason yeah, I usually come on the podium unless I get stuck behind some cars for a while and lose the front runners.

Although that said I think GT3 is just one of the easiest classes to drive so more people are going to be good at it. I had some prototype online fun and destroyed the lobby I was playing with at the time but they may have been noobs.

I use AI to judge my pace. If I can keep in the top 3 with AI at 80 I'll be just as good online imo.

Think you're right there with GT3 being rather easy to race. With real assists on they seem a bit "arcadey" for me - not a criticsm of the game at all, I just mean their grip levels are so high that it's pretty hard to make a mistake. Even GT4's are more fun IMHO. Going a bit off-topic though now. :) Good tip with the AI! I've got out of the habit of offline racing, but really it's the place to hone one's skills! :)

Luke Townsend
09-07-2015, 05:55
Shush with the GT3 chat :p

http://youtu.be/JO2_ZkaTGPY

Great post thanks! Alan Jones is a bit of a hero of mine - F1 champion when I was very young. :) Had no idea he raced the M1 though!

graveltrap
09-07-2015, 08:03
The M1Procar series was part of the F1 circus in '79 and '80, they actually gave the first 5 positions on the grid to the highest qualifying F1 drivers (the cars in the BMW colours). Others F1 stars raced in the series regularly, with Niki Lauda (79) and Nelson Piquet (80) taking the championship.

Lookie Here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M1_Procar_Championship)

Racing at Monaco :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw-IeDkSUbE

Luke Townsend
09-07-2015, 08:38
The M1Procar series was part of the F1 circus in '79 and '80, they actually gave the first 5 positions on the grid to the highest qualifying F1 drivers (the cars in the BMW colours). Others F1 stars raced in the series regularly, with Niki Lauda (79) and Nelson Piquet (80) taking the championship.

That's so cool! :) Those M1's at Monaco are incredible - they just look SO right there! :) Never knew that about F1 drivers in those races. Be brilliant if someone did that kind of thing with the modern F1 drivers - there are one or two things around nowadays where a couple might compete together but not many. Was impressed with what Hulkenberg did at Le Mans this year (and happy/surprised that Force India let him! :))

falm
09-07-2015, 09:24
I read somewhere that the McLaren GT3 is the best all-rounder, and I'm sticking with that at the moment - it's easy to drive with real assists on. I do tune it a bit but can't remember what exactly - I find all the cars understeer by default so I usually drop front tyre pressures a little and stiffen the rear to get more turn in. But I'm no way a tuning pro so don't take my word as gospel! :)

Thanks for the tip, will give the McLaren a try this weekend. Actually, tuning is also my week point, but it's fun to learn something new.

Luke Townsend
09-07-2015, 09:51
Thanks for the tip, will give the McLaren a try this weekend. Actually, tuning is also my week point, but it's fun to learn something new.

Yes, totally agree!! :) So satisfying when you learn new things and improve a skill. Have fun!

legendm0de
09-07-2015, 21:12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ahKbvMJ5es

One of my favorite all time PCars videos on Youtube before the game released.

graveltrap
09-07-2015, 21:19
Fast hands in the last corner!

Schnizz58
09-07-2015, 21:29
Fast hands in the last corner!
For sure! That actually highlights one of the things I don't really like about the M1 and that's the high steering ratio. He was at 90 just going through the kink and well past that for many of those turns.

Luke Townsend
10-07-2015, 07:34
For sure! That actually highlights one of the things I don't really like about the M1 and that's the high steering ratio. He was at 90 just going through the kink and well past that for many of those turns.

Maybe you could change the steering ratio in the game (not checked if it lets you for the M1?) I'm guessing it's not got power steering and so with those fat wheels it needed a low-geared steering ratio in real life. I dunno, I find it quite fun that you have to turn the wheel like you're turning a truck. ;) Makes you remember it's an old car. Got to say, PCars has done a fantastic job making every car distinct and different to drive. :)

wedge_a
10-07-2015, 09:07
Yep the car is an absolute joy! Stiffening the spring rates will make it much faster! It's very sloppy and boat like stock.

graveltrap
10-07-2015, 10:01
You can adjust the steering ratio of the M1, from very fast to very slow, If I am putting on a lot of lock in fast corners the car is under steering, I feel that point through the FFB.

I also started by increasing the spring rates but have gone back to stock (all be it swapped front and rear) and concentrated on the damping. It improved lap times anyway ;)

Replay of the 1st lap of a Procar race @ The Nordschleife with the Ai at 100, I use random grid starts at the moment. Its not a bad run, help massively by the AI having fun at Karussell :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQX9ErTgmt0

Lawndarts
11-07-2015, 00:02

Lookie Here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M1_Procar_Championship)

Racing at Monaco :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw-IeDkSUbE

LOVE car videos with no commentators!

bodyshop
11-07-2015, 06:42

All of that guys PCars vids are like that, just looks like he gets massive understeer and steering look on minor corners, take away all the fluff and its actually not accurate at all when he drives, i think they were all early builds though but his set ups are not right.

Dirtalot
13-07-2015, 18:36
I do like the pro car.....however......try it on the le mans circuit, when you reach top speed down the Mulsanne straight, the engine sounds strange like it's on some sort of loop and the car starts to jerk somewhat! maybe that happens in the real car.

Schnizz58
13-07-2015, 19:38
I do like the pro car.....however......try it on the le mans circuit, when you reach top speed down the Mulsanne straight, the engine sounds strange like it's on some sort of loop and the car starts to jerk somewhat! maybe that happens in the real car.

Rev limiter?

Dirtalot
13-07-2015, 19:54
Rev limiter?

Don't know, it annoyed me though!

hkraft300
13-07-2015, 20:09
Rev limiter?

I'd reckon so, too, going by the description.

PTG Ty1er Ward
13-07-2015, 23:35
One of my favorites in this game for sure. I didn't like the car at all in Forza but I love the way it drives in Pcars.

Turn 10 is the gold standard for nerfing a good car

resmania
14-07-2015, 06:11

Yeah. Same thing happens on Ruf GT3

kontza
24-07-2015, 11:22
I was so glad to bump into this car. First in Shift2, and now in CARS.

I have a nostalgic reason for this: back in late 70s/early 80s, can't remember exactly when, I had a Michel Vaillant comic book, where they drove or raced M1. At that time in my small hometown in the west coast of Finland, BMW was a rare sight, but a recognizable one. And then I had this comic book that had a BMW of a BMW model almost out-of-this-world.

John Hargreaves
24-07-2015, 11:36

I love that rev limiter sound, I even over rev it before changing gear on purpose to make it do that. Great car.

choppermeir
19-08-2015, 14:41
I love, no I adore the m1 procar irl and in project cars having a great time trying to tune it for the Bathurst race at the minute. I love that track but I am struggling with locking the brakes and spinning out, over the mountain complex. Still good fun though

Schnizz58
17-08-2016, 14:43
I actually saw an M1 the other day in the most unlikely of places. I was driving down to Louisiana and was in a little podunk in Texas called Dalhart. It passed me going the other way. A red one in perfect shape as far as I could tell, like it just came off the showroom floor.

robnkel
18-08-2016, 10:14
Love the m1 in raceroom, on nords in 3d = ;)

NemethR
18-08-2016, 10:48
Its a really nicely balanced car, you can push it a lot, without the fear of it getting out of control.

So yes, I love it too :)

hkraft300
18-08-2016, 12:22
I'd very much like to see leagues give this car much more consideration for competitions.
Sure it'll only be a 1-make series but... Look at it!

prithvirp
18-08-2016, 17:04
It looks fast and goes fast, love to keep driving around the Nordschleife.

Jezza819
19-08-2016, 13:23
I haven't driven the car that much but last night I drove it in a race that went from late afternoon into darkness. I didn't know that the headlights would actually pop up like real world hidden headlights. I just thought that was the coolest thing.

satco1066
19-08-2016, 22:49
if you like M1 than watch this

https://www.facebook.com/devilscorede/videos/1074934969248358/

Montana.BE
04-09-2016, 15:18
I like that car a lot

Default setup changes to understeer quickly, but that'll be solved quickly

blakeperez
04-09-2016, 19:42
Just beautiful, that exhaust note is very unique.