PDA

View Full Version : Time to remove the training wheels - brake adjustments

OppaErich
24-05-2015, 15:50
Hi,

I guess I developed enough feeling for the game now to disable the aids. I'm using a DFGT and saw there's an option for the pedal sensitivity. Do you experienced guys lower this too or do you only adjust brake pressure ?

Happy driving !
Stephan

MULTIVITZ
25-05-2015, 09:56
Brake pressure in the car settings dictates how much brake effort is available to operate the brakes (the bits at the wheels), because the bits at the wheels are usually of different size and capacity from front to rear they give a diferent progression to thier axles ability to retard its wheels. If max pressure is needed to stop a car at the hardest brake zone of a track, fine. If the same brake pressure don't suit the setup or driver for the rest of the circuit, not so fine! With steering we can change the steering angle ratio to effect the feel, with the brake pressure we can do the same, BUT and it can be a big one sometimes, be aware these setting's DO have an intrinsic effect on the way a tune works not JUST your inputs. Same with boost, obiously!
A wheel rig needs little attention once setup, some people like a certain way for a car, but from time to time you may feel the need to tweak the odd setting. I hope this post clears alot of foolhardy ussumptions taken by gamers when they recieve new setups. Thanks for reading.

HBR-Roadhog
25-05-2015, 13:36
I've think I left those pedal settings at default. The only thing I have changed is the brake pressure which I generally raise to 95-100% but I am using a lad cell brake and that makes a big difference over using those little dfgt pedals. For those if you want to run without ABS you may need to lower the pressure a little, maybe open up the bottom deadzone and or mod the pedals to where it gets harder to press the brake as it goes down. Not sure about sensitivity. You may actually want to set that high or maybe you need to set it low. My advice would be play around with it and see what feels right for you.

Personally if I were using DFGTs I would just turn on ABS

could_do_better
25-05-2015, 13:47
I usually run the accelerator at 30 as it gives a little more resolution in the low/mid throttle and once you are past 50-60% push you typically want 100% anyway. (50 is linear) . You get more feel for holding on the edge during cornering.

I've tried the brake sensitivity at 30 too but keep coming back to 50 as I find i do not brake hard enough with the non-linear mapping and keep overshooting apexes.

I's another example of the flexibility of PCARS, you need to invest some time and effort but ultimately you'll get the best possible experience for your style and setup.

OppaErich
25-05-2015, 14:31
Thanks for answering. My point is how do I get the biggest pedal path/angle 'til the tyres lock. In a real car I can feel how the pressure builds up, these gaming pedals don't give feedback. Anyway, I had my first go yesterday and it wasn't as hard as I've expected it to be.

Thanks,
Stephan

Edit: Wow, took me an hour to write this. The last two posts came in when I was editing this. Thanks again !

AshenShugar
25-05-2015, 14:57
I usually run the accelerator at 30 as it gives a little more resolution in the low/mid throttle and once you are past 50-60% push you typically want 100% anyway. (50 is linear) . You get more feel for holding on the edge during cornering.

I've tried the brake sensitivity at 30 too but keep coming back to 50 as I find i do not brake hard enough with the non-linear mapping and keep overshooting apexes.

I's another example of the flexibility of PCARS, you need to invest some time and effort but ultimately you'll get the best possible experience for your style and setup.

I set brakes at 70 for the same reasons, better resolution at higher braking pressure.

OppaErich
27-05-2015, 16:29
Anyway, I had my first go yesterday and it wasn't as hard as I've expected it to be.!

Hehe, then came the first rain... :eek: A Thunderstorm actually - Boy, the show was GREAT !

Jake Fangio
27-05-2015, 16:55
Theirs a simple mod for the brake pedal on the dfgt.Place a squash ball under the brake pedal,theirs a gap where the pedal arm goes into the base.It's really simple and works like a dream.Theirs even a video on youtube describing how to do it.I went back to my dfgt after mt t300 went kaput.Thrustmaster need to get their act together when it comes to software for the PC!!.

MULTIVITZ
28-05-2015, 00:32
The release of energy from the rear springs enables weight to be shifted onto the front wheels. Dampers control the release of spring energy. Bump stiffness helps hold the tyres down. Think of the car as a see saw in that respect. Alot of the cars will not totallylock there tyres up even on 100% brake pressure once they are setup well! Don't forget the camber and toe effect it and caster when entering a corner with trailing brakes.