PDA

View Full Version : AI driving question? (do they learn?/ adapt?)

rocafella1978
24-05-2015, 20:13
hi have been racing a 60 lap race at Laguna Seca with GT4 cars, and i was driving around 28 laps with average (don't laugh) low 1min33:xxx sec to 1min33:xxx secs times. so around lap 29/ 30 i think it was i handed over to SIMULATE/ SPECTATE mode, because other things to attend to but wanted to see the race to the finish, and noticed that the AI is driving low 1:34:8xx to 1:35:9xx before and after pit stop...is there any reason for this? is the AI set to certain times when (AI strength is set 70-80%?) or does AI adapt to my driving times? possible? hope my point is coming across correctly or the question I have here. thanks guys!

IrideGravity
24-05-2015, 20:44
hi have been racing a 60 lap race at Laguna Seca with GT4 cars, and i was driving around 28 laps with average (don't laugh) low 1min33:xxx sec to 1min33:xxx secs times. so around lap 29/ 30 i think it was i handed over to SIMULATE/ SPECTATE mode, because other things to attend to but wanted to see the race to the finish, and noticed that the AI is driving low 1:34:8xx to 1:35:9xx before and after pit stop...is there any reason for this? is the AI set to certain times when (AI strength is set 70-80%?) or does AI adapt to my driving times? possible? hope my point is coming across correctly or the question I have here. thanks guys!

This is a great question. But due to the fact it may point to a broken aspect of the game if answered, it probably won't be.
Good luck.
To clarify though. Does the AI always run the same slower laps, or just on in and out laps? It would suck to see your race pissed away by a slow AI driver and it would be good to know how they work.
Info on these aspects and answers to good questions are in short supply here though. Kinda sad.

rocafella1978
24-05-2015, 23:44
always slower laps, tried 3x different tracks today, with three different classes, GT4 (Laguna Seca), GT3 (Hockenheim GP) and LMP1 (La Sarthe, 24hrs Le Mans)...always slower 1.2-2.8 seconds slower per lap. oh and forgot to say: 70%, 80%, 80% AI strength
and final result was, always 1st, when handed over to AI, came in 3rd, 6th and 4th. (also some of the major issues are AI slower laps obviously pissing away the lead you built up, but other main problem, blocking and aggressive back markers/ overlapped AI drivers)

rocafella1978
24-05-2015, 23:59
also noticed in the spectator mode, that the GAP times between the vehicles don't make any sense at all, way off, showing under 1 second, where i can clearly see and being myself ahead of the 2nd guy over 5seconds...and the rest of the field also calculation doesn't add up, unless i am missing the point of "GAP" calculation between cars, but always thought it was straight forward...???? hmm

Doug914
25-05-2015, 01:47
The AI does not adapt at all to what speeds you do. However, there is a bit of randomness programed around the AI strength you choose, so you're probably seeing that at a guess.

Desopit
25-05-2015, 05:57
If I'm not mistaken, the gap times for all vehicles is calculated on the best lap.

If you want to see the real advantage, you need to switch your hud. Down left it will show you the real gap for the car in front and the car behind you