PDA

View Full Version : Mulitplayer keeps crashing

beagea
24-05-2015, 21:06
For two weeks now I and a number of my friends have wanted to play multiplayer together, which we have not been able to do so, the game keeps crashing not just once, not just twice but every ruddy time.

Multiplayer does not work properly, chat does not work fully at all.

Each one of us that is over 15 people have attempted this on multiple occasion with no success, none us are able to stay connected with the online lobby or the random online lobby.

What the heck is going on and how long are we going to have to wait until this is fixed?

Why has nobody at SMS given a public statement to inform the people who paid good money for the game about when these issues will be fixed?

Why was the games released when these issues must have been apparent?

This game is now becoming a joke and not a funny one at that.

beagea
24-05-2015, 22:10
Update on Multiplayer issues.

Issues are not with Game per say rather with Bandai Servers so say Xbox Support

Sadly due to so many issues since release of game it looks like SMS are in for a rough ride for a little while yet, that is until the game meets expectations

Raven403
25-05-2015, 01:51
Multiplayer is broken. Completely unplayable. Everything you said is correct, and my racing league is now not able to do anything together. So whatever SMS is doing they better fix it quick.

FederalHercules
25-05-2015, 13:12
DISCLAIMER - I am ranting below. And much of what I say, has been said before. Mostly venting, read at your own risk.

I think the best place to start is to simply enumerate the issues that eventually shut down our league race last night and will likely cancel or delay our first online season in pCARS.

GAME BREAKERs
- Crash to dashboard
- Very frequent disconnections from session or lobby (sometimes the game is kind enough to give you a dialog informing you that you have been disconnected from the session)
- Game lock up (This typically happens in the lobby before joining the session. The game simply freezes and is unresponsive to input. You can exit to the dashboard and quit the game there.)
- Unable to support 9+ users. From my observation, this appears to be the cutoff point. Below this, the frequency of the issues above become lower and you are able to move through the planned sessions of the race. Nine or more players though, it just breaks down. And it's not one or two people of the group experiencing the issues. Everyone will experience on or more of the issues at some point during the sessions/race.

INFURIATING ISSUES (not necessarily game breakers but immensely frustrating none the less)
- Wheel feedback loss after switching session (going from free practice to qualifying for example)
- Wheel feedback loss when snapping an app such as friends (a necessary evil if you want join or invite a player).
- Camera view changed and unchangeable. This happens so often you can almost rely on it. When joining a multiplayer session and hitting the track, the camera view will be different from your previous setting and many times you will be unable to change it to back to your preferred.
- Joining a session but being unable to drive. You join a session but in the pit view, all options are greyed out with the lock symbol except for lobby and exit necessitating an exit and re-join (and thus re-exposing yourself to one or more of the game breaking issues above)
- Tuning settings being reset. I don’t have many details on this one. After so much effort just trying to get a race going, it was hard to know what was going on. But many folks reported their carefully adjust settings being lost and reset to the default.
- Car behavior inconsistent. I have seen this reported by others an many of our league have experienced it. The car will not drive as it did in practice or single player settings. This is under the same track and track conditions. I am sorry I don’t have more specifics, I just know when folks leave a race because they can't control a car due to is changed behavior, something is wrong.
- Pitting and pit strategies. Nothing I can add here that hasn't be said before. How this design came out of user acceptance testing is a great mystery.

HEAD SCRATCHERS (Many have said it before, this game was not tested on XBOX One. Or the other explanation is it was tested, these issues were known, but the decision was made to release it anyway)
- Graphic flickering. This has been shown in videos before. It seems to happen when one or more folks are in pit lane. (Essentially, the display shows flickering of white and the HUD gets wonky. I will share a video and update the post.)
- Car damage. As a SIM racer, I get that folks want and like when the car becomes so damaged it is not drivable. But this is not a good model for multiplayer (especially for leagues). After all, it still is a game, meant for entertainment. When someone gets into a mishap and can't get their car back to pits for repairs, that is detrimental to their enjoyment. In my opinion its detrimental to the group. I sure don’t like to see any of our league drivers completely removed from a race because of an accidental mishap. Maybe this behavior is intended, but it sure seems overly punishing to me.

I think I am leaving some stuff out. I am sure my fellow league members can list other issues. I know that I have been a broken record on many of my posts on this forum. I can't help it. When the stars line up perfectly and the moon is full, the racing in pCARS is exquisite. My frustration comes from the fact that all the issues above may not be simple to solve, but they sure were easy to find. And why they weren't found sooner continues to puzzle me, my league, and I am sure uncountable others.

Anyway, as Raven mentioned, our 16 player strong league is quite discouraged. We have been looking forward to this game since last November. What we would like to see is SMS addressing these issues not only with a sense of urgency, but with transparent communication. Not with canned "we are aware" replies but with details on the progress of the identification and fix of the issues. A rough timeline on when we can expect possible resolution. I personally don’t think that is too much to ask. It can give us hope and keep us engaged.

With patch 1.3 still in the nether, it is hard to find optimism for the future…

Raven403
25-05-2015, 14:36
Well said Fed, although I'm sure this thread will get locked or we'll receive sarcastic responses from Mods or Devs or both. Just unfortunate for a dedicated group like ours to be basically turned away because the game is unplayable online.
The damage stuff I understand from SMS's side, it's a SIM after all and if you screw up you pay for it. However, not having a damage indicator is a Head Scratcher to me, especially when I know the number of things the game tracks. I know bc on PC u can use the telem. Apps to see everything, but that experience escapes console users. The fact that you don't know how your tires are wearing or if you have minor damage to important components is like I said, a Head Scratcher.

Raven403
25-05-2015, 15:02
Using consumers as your Console testers is an interesting strategy. And yes I know it was "Tested" by a private firm as was stated on here. But clearly there needed to be some player input from console users to address some of the things that don't translate from PC to console or at least X1. Now I guess we are all just investors in an unfinished Project as alot of people are now saying. Like the title of the game is some indictment on what we should've expected from a full price game on launch day. But I really wish it was presented as an opportunity to buy into the game in its final stages of development on X1 and not a complete game. Would've at least understood why the game is in its current state.

beagea
25-05-2015, 17:10
I do have to admit that it does seem that way, it is highly dubious that there are more than the normal release day issues with the game especially on XB1, can anyone mention a game released on XB1 that has these issues? The question does have to be asked as to why we are having to wait until the team at SMS find all the issues before we can fully enjoy the game, a lot of these issues may be solely with XB1, but issues are still issues no matter which console they appear on.

I am just so sad that everyone at the top of SMS are only now saying that we have to be patient until they get the patches out, when really with all honesty they should have said this before we paid our money, were they so worried that we would not have bought it anyway?

The thing is most of us are saying how we can all see that this is going to be such a great sims game, but then again maybe that is what Ian Bell was banking on.....maybe

And again we have look at the whole project, which would include the funding option and why did the FSA force the company to stop offering the option to buy into the project????

Ch1ps N Queso
25-05-2015, 17:41
DISCLAIMER - I am ranting below. And much of what I say, has been said before. Mostly venting, read at your own risk.

I think the best place to start is to simply enumerate the issues that eventually shut down our league race last night and will likely cancel or delay our first online season in pCARS.

GAME BREAKERs
- Crash to dashboard
- Very frequent disconnections from session or lobby (sometimes the game is kind enough to give you a dialog informing you that you have been disconnected from the session)
- Game lock up (This typically happens in the lobby before joining the session. The game simply freezes and is unresponsive to input. You can exit to the dashboard and quit the game there.)
- Unable to support 9+ users. From my observation, this appears to be the cutoff point. Below this, the frequency of the issues above become lower and you are able to move through the planned sessions of the race. Nine or more players though, it just breaks down. And it's not one or two people of the group experiencing the issues. Everyone will experience on or more of the issues at some point during the sessions/race.

INFURIATING ISSUES (not necessarily game breakers but immensely frustrating none the less)
- Wheel feedback loss after switching session (going from free practice to qualifying for example)
- Wheel feedback loss when snapping an app such as friends (a necessary evil if you want join or invite a player).
- Camera view changed and unchangeable. This happens so often you can almost rely on it. When joining a multiplayer session and hitting the track, the camera view will be different from your previous setting and many times you will be unable to change it to back to your preferred.
- Joining a session but being unable to drive. You join a session but in the pit view, all options are greyed out with the lock symbol except for lobby and exit necessitating an exit and re-join (and thus re-exposing yourself to one or more of the game breaking issues above)
- Tuning settings being reset. I don’t have many details on this one. After so much effort just trying to get a race going, it was hard to know what was going on. But many folks reported their carefully adjust settings being lost and reset to the default.
- Car behavior inconsistent. I have seen this reported by others an many of our league have experienced it. The car will not drive as it did in practice or single player settings. This is under the same track and track conditions. I am sorry I don’t have more specifics, I just know when folks leave a race because they can't control a car due to is changed behavior, something is wrong.
- Pitting and pit strategies. Nothing I can add here that hasn't be said before. How this design came out of user acceptance testing is a great mystery.

HEAD SCRATCHERS (Many have said it before, this game was not tested on XBOX One. Or the other explanation is it was tested, these issues were known, but the decision was made to release it anyway)
- Graphic flickering. This has been shown in videos before. It seems to happen when one or more folks are in pit lane. (Essentially, the display shows flickering of white and the HUD gets wonky. I will share a video and update the post.)
- Car damage. As a SIM racer, I get that folks want and like when the car becomes so damaged it is not drivable. But this is not a good model for multiplayer (especially for leagues). After all, it still is a game, meant for entertainment. When someone gets into a mishap and can't get their car back to pits for repairs, that is detrimental to their enjoyment. In my opinion its detrimental to the group. I sure don’t like to see any of our league drivers completely removed from a race because of an accidental mishap. Maybe this behavior is intended, but it sure seems overly punishing to me.

I think I am leaving some stuff out. I am sure my fellow league members can list other issues. I know that I have been a broken record on many of my posts on this forum. I can't help it. When the stars line up perfectly and the moon is full, the racing in pCARS is exquisite. My frustration comes from the fact that all the issues above may not be simple to solve, but they sure were easy to find. And why they weren't found sooner continues to puzzle me, my league, and I am sure uncountable others.

Anyway, as Raven mentioned, our 16 player strong league is quite discouraged. We have been looking forward to this game since last November. What we would like to see is SMS addressing these issues not only with a sense of urgency, but with transparent communication. Not with canned "we are aware" replies but with details on the progress of the identification and fix of the issues. A rough timeline on when we can expect possible resolution. I personally don’t think that is too much to ask. It can give us hope and keep us engaged.

With patch 1.3 still in the nether, it is hard to find optimism for the future…

Pretty crazy that he can come up with this comprehensive list and still be leaving stuff out. I'd post my experience from last night but I've already done so in other threads. Short version, it was really awful.

Do any of the SMS staff have an X1? Would you be willing to join us for some online racing to see what we're dealing with? I'm serious about this.

If someone from SMS wants to join us for a scheduled event we'd love to have you. These issues are going to cripple our community until major fixes are rolled out. We're willing to work with the fine folks at SMS in any way to help remedy these MP issues. If you'd like to take me up on this offer please send me a PM here and we can coordinate an event that suits your schedule.

Thanks.

beagea
25-05-2015, 18:04
I too would extend this offer for anyone at SMS to join us for a race, very good idea Ch1ps

beagea
25-05-2015, 21:15
I don't think anyone at SMS is going to take us up on the offer man and I am now of the believe that they are well aware of the issues and would rather take things at their own pace to fix them, that is unless someone at Xbox or Bandia forces them to do a recall.

Dominic Mako
08-06-2015, 18:45
I thought I'd do a search on the forum to see if I could find a similar experience as my team had this past weekend, and sure enough this sums it up pretty well. After about 45 minutes of trying to get the lobby to stabilize without crashing, we gave up. It is hard to get a number of people invested in one game if it can't be counted on to be available at a prescribed time. We will eventually have to abandon Pcars for something that will actually work in multiplayer. Sure, they have our money already, but you better believe if there's a sequel we'll think twice before jumping in with both feet again. Of course, if none of us are playing in a couple months we probably won't have any interest in future DLC either.

Raven403
08-06-2015, 18:48
If you can deal with having 2 parties, if you have more than 8 people, it seems to be the best way to do it. It stabilizes the lobby enough to get a race in. We only had 8 people last night but it was much more stable for us. We had one player get frozen and had to reboot his xbox but it was better then everyone crashing to dash.

OctoberDusk06
09-06-2015, 06:55
Pretty crazy that he can come up with this comprehensive list and still be leaving stuff out. I'd post my experience from last night but I've already done so in other threads. Short version, it was really awful.

Do any of the SMS staff have an X1? Would you be willing to join us for some online racing to see what we're dealing with? I'm serious about this.

If someone from SMS wants to join us for a scheduled event we'd love to have you. These issues are going to cripple our community until major fixes are rolled out. We're willing to work with the fine folks at SMS in any way to help remedy these MP issues. If you'd like to take me up on this offer please send me a PM here and we can coordinate an event that suits your schedule.

Thanks.

I would not hold your breath Chips. From the top down, SMS has made an art of hoodwinking the console crowd (yes, that is a reference to Shift2) and then running away. Only this time, the hype worked. So, one of three things will happen:
1. They will count their millions and take a few years to go the way of Codemasters, never to be trusted again by 90% of their customers.
2. Say they can't fix it, blaming a third party, not to exclude the end user.
3. Eventually improve it a bit, and maybe keep some faith from those who stick with them instead of moving on to a game (I can think of two very popular ones coming before the end of the year and many others in the wings, including the 10,000 lb. gorilla from Italy) that you can actually play with more than 6 of your friends at the same time.

The first two are unacceptable, and the third is, well, sad. I sincerely hope I'm wrong about this, because I think the other issues are patchable.

Raven403
09-06-2015, 11:25
I was told they were planning a test with BanNam US ASAP, that was 2 weeks ago I believe I dont know what came of it, hopefully they found some things to improve the MP experience. Because to me its going to be the crack in the hull that eventually sinks the ship unless its fixed soooon

Dan77 DESTROYER
09-06-2015, 12:47
Was having lobby problems with just two people in it last night, getting kicked during practice or qualifying sometimes even mid race though this only happened once,
Reading other posts in this thread I've experienced most of the said annoying problems recently, it is starting to become irritating to be completely honest, I am generally a patient understanding person but this game is starting to test that a little bit,
On release day I expected there to be a few niggles as there generally are with new games but we are over a month in here on console version of the game and the problems seem to be growing not going down which is not great,
So far I've been blown away by this game and have purchased a new wheel a week ago and have had awesome fun with it but these current problems are taking the magic out of it at the moment and I hope it doesn't kill it completely for me or others on here who are feeling the frustration.
It's also gutting to read guys on here with tones of enthusiasm for the game and wanting to set up and run league races not being able to do so. I too want to get stuck into some clean racing with the community here but can't currently.
Sorry to say it but my patients clock is now ticking :(