PDA

View Full Version : Iíve had an Epiphany: This Game is Magical

LordDRIFT
25-05-2015, 00:56
What follows is all IMHO Ė many will disagree. But just like there are different Vegasís - there are different Pcars. What you want your experience to be is all up to you.

First of all, SMS and WMD, itís a shame the work you have done have been overshadowed by the bugs. You guys have got something magical here, its pure gold!

The more time Iíve spent with the game the more I uncover just how great this game is. Someone started a thread saying this was the ďBest Racing Game EverĒ. I disagreed then. But today Iím saying itís the Best Damn Racing Game I Have Ever Played.

Some Background: As far as racing games go, Iím a consoler born and bred on Gran Turismo. In fact thatís the game that had me defect from the then king of consoles Nintendo. I have never been able to take Forza seriously so my experience there is minimal.

If I had to compare the physics in Pcars and GT (albeit different generations): GT is like having sex with a connie on and Pcar lets you , well, take it off. Oh yes sheís a naughty girl. Iím getting ahead of myself though.

Graphically, some oh wow moments and tiny details:
-The tracks. Wow. So much detail.
-Cars get dirty with an off
-Iíve seen corner markers topple and fall from either turbulence and /or vibration
-May be a fluke but pretty sure a car in front off picked up something on his slicks and flung it at my windshield
-Drove by post crash carnage that made me wonder if the driver was alive
-The lighting (Nuff said). I mean the cars have reflective decals that bounce your headlights for peteís sake Ė and thatís the least of it.
-Leafs blowing across the track.
- A cone on my hood. I jabbed my brakes and it flew foward
-Debris , and track damage
-Barely saw something waving way in the distance through some trees to my right (caught my eye
enough to make me wonder what it was), many turns later I came up on a group of fans waving flags.
-Seeing the inside rear lift under heavy braking (shout out to the physics engine here)
-Etc,etc, etc

There are 3 things that bring this game to life Ė All three are essentially like taking the condom off.

1. Jack Spades FFB Tweaker files (and a few extras)
2. The RIGHT FOV
3. A PROPER FFB Wheel

I may get flack for this but if you are playing this game without FFB (medical conditions the exception) and you are serious about the game Ė Just donít. Iím going to take it one further and say if you are playing with basic FFB Ė just donít as well. Hereís why: If you had a Porshe GT3 would you throw on some Nankangs or Pilot Super Sports? Would you get a standard def source for your 1080p or 4k display or an HD source (bluray still rules the roost here)? You see where Iím going with this. You need proper gear to make this baby sing. If not, you are missing a TON of what the game can do, and that would be a damn shame. Those nankangs just wonít hook up like the super sports can Ė FACT.

I started with a T80 . I was tuning blind with it. Almost all the cars felt like they were too soft. I constantly overheated my tires (because I couldnít feel grip limits), some cars were just un-driveable. Then I got my T300. I overpaid because there is a shortage in the US. I regretted my decision on the first drive. Frankly the FFB felt like shit. Then I found Jack Spadeís thread. Oh man! Thank You! Iím using the bumps plus tweak and I have removed my pedal and steering deadzones (following another tip I saw online). The game is completely transformed - no more condom! I can feel everything the car is doing. I put the e30 up on two wheels, after clipping the hot dog on a right hander, and while counter steering to get it back down, I felt the left front tire fold over. It sent a chill down my spine. The way the wheel un weights when cresting , the way you can feel the grip threshold and ride that line. Even the back end - Iíve never felt so much feedback about what the rear end was doing in a game before.

About the deadzone removal: In the pedals, I instantly drove smoother Ė throttle modulation was more intuitive and predicable. In the steering , I felt it was more natural and definitely helped me to countersteer more accurately. Flinging the car into esses is way more responsive and controlled now.

Lastly: FOV I didnít believe the hype but Iím now a believer. SMS you guys nailed the sense of elevation in this game. Iíve always felt Laguna seca was a boring track until playing your game. That corkscrew feels like a rollercoaster. If the FOV is right I feel my gut lift. Picking braking points and anticipating the apex is more accurate with the correct FOV. But more importantly I feel it goes hand in hand with the FFB and feeling the rear of the car. Itís much quicker to make on the fly adjustments without adverse effect now. I calculated my FOV a little backwards. Iím using a 120Ē screen so I measured how close I could sit to the screen while having a cockpit view I was comfy with. This put me at 65 inches from the screen with a FOV of 77. Quite nice. Being able to angle the seat is a blessing here Ė I tip my seat angle forward so it gives the sensation of looking down at the hood Ė this allows me to see the gauges quite nicely.

Gran Turismo will always have the best replays out there, but unless Kaz overhauls that physics engine (and those sterile bots) from scratch they are in some real trouble here. This game goes to show you donít need 50 fíing skylines. Itís always been about the driving and Pcars delivers in spades.

/End Ball Stroking.

Alan Dallas
25-05-2015, 00:59
:D :D :D Welcome to the world of Race Simulation.

LordDRIFT
25-05-2015, 01:26
:D :D :D Welcome to the world of Race Simulation.

The damn game has me thinking of building a pc so I can get my triple screen on. Oh lord here we go.

Motorhead Racer
25-05-2015, 01:42
You talk like I feel....
The game while it has the bugs.. keeps me coming back for more, and it gets worse, I am a controller user!!
But I may rearrange a whole room, buy a new desk and chair and get a wheel and pedals, because for the first time ever, I feel a game deserves that extra effort! In some ways it really is the little things you mention, I mean I love driving at night, they have nailed it, some games have it too bright or too dark with your headlights doing nothing, this game is just right!

As a controller user, I dont expect to top the time sheets, hell I don't even care, bring on the next race!

Alan Dallas
25-05-2015, 01:52
The damn game has me thinking of building a pc so I can get my triple screen on. Oh lord here we go.
That's sim addict talk there!! I should know, I am one. :)

LordDRIFT
25-05-2015, 02:01
You talk like I feel....
The game while it has the bugs.. keeps me coming back for more, and it gets worse, I am a controller user!!
But I may rearrange a whole room, buy a new desk and chair and get a wheel and pedals, because for the first time ever, I feel a game deserves that extra effort! In some ways it really is the little things you mention, I mean I love driving at night, they have nailed it, some games have it too bright or too dark with your headlights doing nothing, this game is just right!

As a controller user, I dont expect to top the time sheets, hell I don't even care, bring on the next race!

I couldn't imagine playing this game with a controller. But last time I played a racing game with a controller there where no analog controllers. Replays where hilarious.

spinkick
25-05-2015, 02:33
Which way should we tilt the seat after we get proper FOV?

LordDRIFT
25-05-2015, 02:43
Which way should we tilt the seat after we get proper FOV?

Its up to you. I'm looking up at my screen so when I lowered my seat to see my gauges it felt like I was sitting on the floor of the car. Tilting forward changed the perspective to looking down at the dash vs up through the windshield. .

SwaggerJacker
25-05-2015, 07:36
Load up Zolder in practice, just drive slowly and gawk at the beauty. The giant windmills/turbines. The textures, fans waving. Little things like buildings, shacks, support vehicles. moving camera booms. We go fast and never really see the track. Take my advice...go see the track.

Edit: Forgot to mention, Marshals on cell phones having animated conversations...Priceless.

Swagg

David McKenna
25-05-2015, 07:52
Whilst I agree on the superior quality of this game. GT is far from having any kind of sex...more like eating a Jacobs Cream Cracker!

Paulzx
25-05-2015, 07:53
Excellent post, agree with it all.

Will also back up the T300 RS wheel and T3PA pedals - an unimaginable difference

John Hargreaves
25-05-2015, 08:01
That's a great review there OP, hits the nail on the head.

LordDRIFT
25-05-2015, 13:34
Whilst I agree on the superior quality of this game. GT is far from having any kind of sex...more like eating a Jacobs Cream Cracker!

Lol. Damn, that's cold blooded.

Mad Al
25-05-2015, 13:47

Wait till you get older.. those Jacobs crackers can look mighty appealing ;)

jimmyb_84
25-05-2015, 14:03
Well said, I totally agree.

The more I play, the more I notice and the more SMS and this game astonishes me!

AshenShugar
25-05-2015, 14:08

What are these crackers you speak of? Us convicts don't have em can you send a ship with some please :)

AB_Attack
25-05-2015, 14:12
3. A PROPER FFB Wheel

"Proper"? Are you saying my Wheel might not be the greatest (Logitech DFP)? And that my smile will be more precious than the cost of that new wheel? Which one is the best then? Is it the T300?

Roger Prynne
25-05-2015, 14:16
Well if I could write a review about pCARS that's exactly what I would write... great post and welcome to a real sim.

What are these crackers you speak of? Us convicts don't have em can you send a ship with some please :)
Here you go mate

Mad Al
25-05-2015, 14:20
"Proper"? Are you saying my Wheel might not be the greatest (Logitech DFP)? And that my smile will be more precious than the cost of that new wheel? Which one is the best then? Is it the T300?
Your wheel is fine

(pedals are crap though...)

LordDRIFT
25-05-2015, 14:21

If you have an entry level wheel you will get entry level performance - period. I can't speak to what the best wheel is, but (on ps4) there are complaints about weak ffb on the t100. Even the high end fanatecs are weak right now due to compatibility issues. I have a dfgt and the T300 is leagues above in performance. Many have said the same about the G27 as well.

CeeBee2001
25-05-2015, 14:21
Riddled with bugs, lacking probably 25 obvious features, crashes once an hour (on average) but my God, when it works, it works soooooo well :)

LordDRIFT
25-05-2015, 14:22
Your wheel is fine

Yea, people say the T300 pedals are crap. They have never tried these puppies. Even T80 trumps them.

CeeBee2001
25-05-2015, 14:23
If you have an entry level wheel you will get entry level performance - period. I can't speak to what the best wheel is, but (on ps4) there are complaints about weak ffb on the t100. Even the high end fanatecs are weak right now due to compatibility issues. I have a dfgt and the T300 is leagues above in performance. Many have said the same about the G27 as well.

I have a Fanatec CSR from the old Forza 4 days....I've almost put my shoulder out in some cars. Have you tried the Jack spade FFB files?

Roger Prynne
25-05-2015, 14:25
I have a Fanatec CSR from the old Forza 4 days....I've almost put my shoulder out in some cars. Have you tried the Jack spade FFB files?

OP said

There are 3 things that bring this game to life

1. Jack Spades FFB Tweaker files (and a few extras)
2. The RIGHT FOV
3. A PROPER FFB Wheel

LordDRIFT
25-05-2015, 14:28

Are you on ps4? This is what the ps4 guys are saying.

jimmyb_84
25-05-2015, 14:34

Before I sold my Fanatec CSR I actually pulled my back out driving the Audi LMP1 Le Mans had to take a week off work!

Edit: it wasn't on PCARS

LordDRIFT
25-05-2015, 14:40
(on ps4) there are complaints about weak ffb on the t100. Even the high end fanatecs are weak right now due to compatibility issues.

Helmethead1031
25-05-2015, 14:49
It's threads like this that cause me to abandon my wife and kids and hole myself up in my game room day after day. This game gets better each day

LordDRIFT
25-05-2015, 15:03
It's threads like this that cause me to abandon my wife and kids and hole myself up in my game room day after day. This game gets better each day

Yes. I have been an absentee. Should I even light up the grill today? -_- I better or Id probably get kicked out.

CeeBee2001
25-05-2015, 15:24
That'll teach me for skim reading :)

Helmethead1031
25-05-2015, 15:27
Yes. I have been an absentee. Should I even light up the grill today? -_- I better or Id probably get kicked out.

I've lit the grill and now I'm trying to figure out how long I will have to game in between checking the Boston Butt. I think I have about 45min each session.

AB_Attack
25-05-2015, 17:43
Your wheel is fine

Yes, the pedals, I could've guessed that much. I am happy with the wheel but if there is something mindblowing or totally awesome that I didn't know about I'm prepared to buy a new wheel. I play the game on PC. Maybe I should start a thread about it or if there is one in existance (there should be).

Yea, people say the T300 pedals are crap. They have never tried these puppies. Even T80 trumps them.

Ok so what do you think? Worth getting something else?

If you have an entry level wheel you will get entry level performance - period. I have a dfgt and the T300 is leagues above in performance. Many have said the same about the G27 as well.

Ok, yes the DFGT is like second generation DFP so if you say so. I really do like that gear stick/knob on it though and use it a lot when I race touring cars. Maybe wait for G29 http://www.maxconsole.com/news/GENERAL/EXCLUSIVE--Logitech-G29-Driving-Force-Racing-Wheel-Info-RKSID00000000000000003301.html

Sparky28
25-05-2015, 20:31
I wish I had more time for this game currently

This weekend I was at donnington for world superbikes I walked the whole track

I get home tonight fire up pcars and rather than drive fast I driver very slow looking at the details
Marshall + flag points spot on
Barriers + fences spot on
Burger vans + toilet blocks spot on

Hell even the new HGV tunnel entrance between mcleans and copice is visible over the barrier in a high enough car

The detail is amazing the time this must of thaken for so many tracks is mind blowing after 10mins driving round I found nothing wrong trackside stuff missing yes minor stuff but nothing wrong incredible

John Hargreaves
25-05-2015, 22:17
I think they have grassed the infield up at the top end where you can't get to since the version in game was done, ours is still bare earth, but other than that it's pretty spot on you're right. How much fun is it to spend the day there then come home and drive the track yourself? So cool.

gpk99
25-05-2015, 22:23
I can honestly say you will experience massive LordDriftgasms once you play this game on a decent PC with a decent Wheel...it's awesome....love this game

TMoney
25-05-2015, 23:06
Nice post and I agree with just about everything. Having been through the development I've had the blessing of seeing the game grow first hand. Once you find your comfort zone and get things dialed in to your liking it's an experience that's really hard to beat. Hands down the best racing sim experience I've ever had on PC. I just can't get enough and as an owner of many PC racing sims pCARS is really getting worn out! I own AC too, and while a good racing sim it just doesn't have that aura about it to keep me sucked in. The number speak for themselves.

PS: If you're really into racing sims, I strongly suggest you migrate over to the PC racing world. You just can't get a better experience elsewhere. :)

ELAhrairah
25-05-2015, 23:08
I can really FEEL this post .

I had a bad start as well. I invested in a T500Rs and a fast GPUcard for my gaming pc.

At first the FFB was like: where the f**k is it?

Then with the help of the community, helpfull forum moderators and the contribution of dedicated and wise forum members and sim Masters such as Lord Jack Spade (yes he is a lord from now on ;-) ) this game finaly grew some balls.

I am in love with 24hr of le mans. This year in a few weeks you will find me there with my mates. And the circuit I know by heart. I started racing it in my GTR time (special mod and track). Years and years went by, nights racing alone in my tiny bedroom watching the sun go down in the Arnage corner. Feeling the Porsche curves through your veins and holding your heart at the end of the Mulsanne straight..

Now with Project Cars I can sincerly say that it has delivered the very best La Sarthe Circuit ever. The heights over the hills, the ambiance on the straight. It is all there. And the magic with the day and night effect: they nailed it.

Thank you Project Cars team and all helpfull and generous people here.

The fact that you share your expertise, time and attention to help others (n00bs like me) further is amazing.

Roger Prynne
25-05-2015, 23:24
Well put mate.

David McKenna
26-05-2015, 16:22

Lol, I'm 48, how old do I have to be :)

Sparky28
26-05-2015, 18:38
I think they have grassed the infield up at the top end where you can't get to since the version in game was done, ours is still bare earth, but other than that it's pretty spot on you're right. How much fun is it to spend the day there then come home and drive the track yourself? So cool.

Yeah they have and the bar on Starkys straight has been knocked down recently but other wise!! Does any one know if they are going to update current tracks or leave them as are?
Oh how cool top gears sub zero Aston Martin fridge that cool?

Nice post and I agree with just about everything. Having been through the development I've had the blessing of seeing the game grow first hand. Once you find your comfort zone and get things dialed in to your liking it's an experience that's really hard to beat. Hands down the best racing sim experience I've ever had on PC. I just can't get enough and as an owner of many PC racing sims pCARS is really getting worn out! I own AC too, and while a good racing sim it just doesn't have that aura about it to keep me sucked in. The number speak for themselves.

PS: If you're really into racing sims, I strongly suggest you migrate over to the PC racing world. You just can't get a better experience elsewhere. :)

I have 1 question to played ac in last 2 weeks 0.7hrs why? Haha

Gloomy
26-05-2015, 20:06
I've mostly been a console gamer, I need a serious upgrade to my pc to getting into racing there, ive been contemplating it for a long time.

I never liked gran turismo much though, I based sim racing off that game which was a mistake because I love project cars. Even though I'm using a controller for now until the fanatec gt3 issues get sorted on the ps4 . I was always a big fan of grid and dirt series with my g27 wheel, but I'm finding I like this game alot better, I can't wait to really get I to it with my wheel and they get a few of the bugs ironed out. It'll most likely be my favorite racer.

davedontmind
26-05-2015, 20:15

If only the triple-screen support was better; it desperately needs the menus sorting out (why does the car & weather selection appear on the left monitor while the others appear on the middle one?) and individual screen rendering like rF2 and AC can do - with my screens at 45 degrees, the way the side screens are rendered (which just assumes one wide flat display) just makes the cockpit look warped. The game would be awesome if they could sort that out.

Umer Ahmad
26-05-2015, 20:23
On the to-do list, SMS guys play AC and iRacing and would like to achieve that level of 3x screen support. Remember, not so many 3x screen players and other higher priority things now.

LordDRIFT
26-05-2015, 20:31
On the to-do list, SMS guys play AC and iRacing and would like to achieve that level of 3x screen support. Remember, not so many 3x screen players and other higher priority things now.

Umer. Next time you drive like a douche to force the inside pass for the win, I'm putting you into the wall!

Bealdor
26-05-2015, 20:33
Umer. Next time you drive like a douche to force the inside pass for the win, I'm putting you into the wall!

Yeah, it's always the same guys ruining your race... ;)

Dorny
26-05-2015, 20:35

LoL I've actually been properly annoyed at another WMD member purely because of what their AI name counterpart did in a series. Have to calm myself down before talking to them :p. I still secretly hate Remco ( one of the mods) because of the dickhead move he did on my last lap when I was lapping him!!!!

LordDRIFT
26-05-2015, 20:36
We had a proper battle in the Mk1 escorts . It was epic!

Sankyo
26-05-2015, 20:38
LoL I've actually been properly annoyed at another WMD member purely because of what their AI name counterpart did in a series. Have to calm myself down before talking to them :p. I still secretly hate Remco ( one of the mods) because of the dickhead move he did on my last lap when I was lapping him!!!!

Poor show to blame the AI for your own inability to do a clean pass :p

SpeedLimitUnknown
26-05-2015, 20:55
LORDDRIFT, you sit 5 feet away from a 120" size projection screen?! Good grief I think I would throw up after turn 3! 😀

Umer Ahmad
26-05-2015, 20:57

I told the programmer working on my AI character: "make my AI guy easy to pass, but then make the player totally regret passing me on the next corner/lap." Seems correct to me!

LordDRIFT
26-05-2015, 21:08
LORDDRIFT, you sit 5 feet away from a 120" size projection screen?! Good grief I think I would throw up after turn 3! ��

Its not that bad driving , its quite nice. Navigating the menus and watching replays is a different story however. To watch replays I go sit in the regular viewing area - this sucks since I cant use slow mo without being around the wheel. I wish the ds4 worked simultaneously.

I told the programmer working on my AI character: "make my AI guy easy to pass, but then make the player totally regret passing me on the next corner/lap." Seems correct to me!

I believe you, because that's exactly what happened!

TMoney
26-05-2015, 22:37
I have 1 question to played ac in last 2 weeks 0.7hrs why? Haha

Yea that's a rare occurrence to be honest. Reason was they had the DLC Dreampack or whatever it's called on sale. Finally thought I'd buy it since I had money left in my Steam wallet so it seemed like it was free haha. Tried a couple of the new cars out at the laser scanned ring. 0.7hrs was enough for now, while the game is good, I felt out of my comfort zone. Back to pCARS. :)

bringmetheapex
27-05-2015, 12:17
All true, but just be careful as there are bugs which need sorting, i can remember when Forza 3 came out and there was this really annoying weird bug where when following AI cars the shadow under them kept flickering.
On the official FM forum someone mentioned it... what followed was eventually completed by people all agreeing that in fact Turn 10 had put this in on purpose as it was a device to tell you how much slipstream you were getting........ suffice to say eventually Turn 10 guy comes on and goes "guys its a bug it is getting patched" ;)

Be aware........