PDA

View Full Version : What's the point of "My Garage"/Choosing a Career #/Choosing a Livery?

Agent 21
25-05-2015, 04:29
The more I'm playing the more I'm loving the "pure racing" aspect of it. I thought id miss customization (even just performance, nevermind painting) from Forza, but I dont, at all. It's actually quite refreshing to NOT spend hours on picking parts and then designing a livery. By the time I was done I wouldn't even wanna play anymore and never race. But that being said, the more I olay the more weird things bother me, such as:

"My Garage" - If we never buy/win/get gifted cars, why do we have a garage that is basically the exact same thing is the car selection menu? If every car is available to us, and we don't "own" any of them, why do we have to go to garage area to create/save a setup? We should just be able to do it from the car menu screen. It just seems like an unecessary extra step to have to go to a seperate copy of the same car list just to create setups.

Career Number - What the heck was the point of choosing a driver number if it is never used on ANYTHING? Every single time I drive in in a random livery cast, and it DOESNT have my # on it (unless it's a coincidence and the random livery is my number).

Choosing a Livery - I go to "My Garage" and scroll to a livery I want for a car (I usually pick whatever design is #21, as that's my career driver number, and has always been my favorite number), select it with A, even make a setup with the car and save it, just hoping the livery saves too. However, when I go to a race I have to pick from the car list, because clicking A on a car in the my garage part just loads the setup screen, and if you back out the car isn't selected. And when you pick from the car list you CAN'T select your livery, and only sometimes (NEVERMIND in multiplayer, maybe 50/50 in solo play) does the livery you picked in my garage actually end up being the one you have in the race. So again, what is the point of having selectable liveries if we never get to select them to use as we please in solo or online play?

JDFSSS
25-05-2015, 05:11
The menus are quite clunky and poorly designed. So many bugs with things not saving/resetting or having to navigate from one set of menus to another to do something. I feel like I spend way too much time navigating through unnecessary menus in this game. I agree there is really no point in the my garage menu.

evanzo7
25-05-2015, 06:06
The garage aspect does annoy me, the main thing is online.
When in a lobby that is restricted to a certain class like GT3 you pick from those cars which is fine but you then have to go into the garage, find said car then put a livery on it!
It would make it so much easier to be able to select it from the car list given!

That career number thing is bizarre. Don't see the point in it either to be fair!

JessicaWalter
25-05-2015, 06:15
... It's actually quite refreshing to NOT spend hours on picking parts and then designing a livery. By the time I was done I wouldn't even wanna play anymore...

that happened to me all the time. spend all my gaming hours on the stupid aesthetic crap and then lose interest in racing. :(

edit: as far as the number, there are some (at least one) liveries that don't have a specific number and our number gets put there on vehicle. it happened to me the other night. the livery had no number in the name and my number was on vehicle.

Agent 21
25-05-2015, 15:00
The garage aspect does annoy me, the main thing is online.
When in a lobby that is restricted to a certain class like GT3 you pick from those cars which is fine but you then have to go into the garage, find said car then put a livery on it!
It would make it so much easier to be able to select it from the car list

Exactly! But to take that further, when I do that in multiplayer, the livery I ick is literally NEVER on the car once the event starts. It's right back to a random one. This happens to both my other friends that I regularly play online with. All 3 of us never start the race with the livery we chose. We only do private lobby races (since we're on XB1 and it's the only way to be able to race with your friends because there are no multiplayer lobbies for XB1...), so could that possibly have something to do with it, if multiplayer livery selection I working for others but not us?

evanzo7
26-05-2015, 07:07
Exactly! But to take that further, when I do that in multiplayer, the livery I ick is literally NEVER on the car once the event starts. It's right back to a random one. This happens to both my other friends that I regularly play online with. All 3 of us never start the race with the livery we chose. We only do private lobby races (since we're on XB1 and it's the only way to be able to race with your friends because there are no multiplayer lobbies for XB1...), so could that possibly have something to do with it, if multiplayer livery selection I working for others but not us?

That would be annoying!
I've never had that issue and I do both private and public lobbies!
I know this may sound silly but you are pressing A on the livery you want? That is the only way it is selected!

Ripgroove
26-05-2015, 08:29
Same, I can't get a chosen livery to appear on my car in a race at all.

Shinzah
06-10-2015, 14:04
Man you spam bots just don't give up adapting and becoming smarter do you?

It's still not enough, Jack. It's still not enough.

*waits patiently for Jack to disappear*

#RIPJack

He died as he lived. Poorly parsing internet forums for keywords.

crowtrobot
06-10-2015, 14:19
Agree with OP. Garage is pretty much pointless; most of the functionality is replicated somewhere else, and it's a chore to navigate to it. I've been doing a lot more Free Practice/Time Trial and watching replays lately, and the livery selection is just not worth the time.

It's a shame because there's no sense of "virtual ownership" of the cars, since you can't pick a particular livery or color from the garage and have it stick through all options for driving, all cars feel like loaners for a particular event. I pick a livery for TT, then go race a different vehicle in Career, then come back to TT and get a different livery when I select the previous car - why can't it remember? Why does even glancing at the Community event change your previously selected vehicle AND track for Time Trial? And FFS why do we, after years of development, still have to RESELECT the currently selected car to change livery??

Re: driver numbers - having a customizeable number was probably one of many nice-to-have features that got cut from final release, but like a lot of these things, the UI was never pared back or adjusted to reflect what features finally made it. So we're left with the incohesive structure of numerous attempts at a UI, some of which mesh together, a lot of which don't.

In its defense at least, it is pretty quick to get into most of the driving modes from the main menu if you don't care about adjusting anything. GT5 wasted so much of my time with menus and button clicks that I literally gave up on the game because of the UI - I was spending too much time not actually playing.

Shinzah
06-10-2015, 14:25
This is one of the rare but super special moments where I agree with this particular robot.

I am now having an existential crisis after taking joy in the death of the robot who necro'd topic.

ScorpionR3D
06-10-2015, 16:36
As far as I know, your choosen racenumber is only used for the ingame 'fan chat' on your carreer dashboard

FLX81
06-10-2015, 17:32
Agree with OP. Garage is pretty much pointless; most of the functionality is replicated somewhere else, and it's a chore to navigate to it. I've been doing a lot more Free Practice/Time Trial and watching replays lately, and the livery selection is just not worth the time.

It's a shame because there's no sense of "virtual ownership" of the cars, since you can't pick a particular livery or color from the garage and have it stick through all options for driving, all cars feel like loaners for a particular event. I pick a livery for TT, then go race a different vehicle in Career, then come back to TT and get a different livery when I select the previous car - why can't it remember? Why does even glancing at the Community event change your previously selected vehicle AND track for Time Trial? And FFS why do we, after years of development, still have to RESELECT the currently selected car to change livery??

Re: driver numbers - having a customizeable number was probably one of many nice-to-have features that got cut from final release, but like a lot of these things, the UI was never pared back or adjusted to reflect what features finally made it. So we're left with the incohesive structure of numerous attempts at a UI, some of which mesh together, a lot of which don't.

In its defense at least, it is pretty quick to get into most of the driving modes from the main menu if you don't care about adjusting anything. GT5 wasted so much of my time with menus and button clicks that I literally gave up on the game because of the UI - I was spending too much time not actually playing.

I have already given up on one of the things that used to be most important to me: The livery of my car. Nowadays, I just pick the car I want to race and use whatever livery the game decides to give me cause I just cant be arsed to do the tedious livery selection every time. Its a shame what the UI throws in your way to keep you from having a smooth experience.

Next stop: If the crashes wont stop me from playing the game, the UI will sooner or later. It is so frustrating to use and so horribly buggy still, I can barely take it anymore.

ex_
06-10-2015, 19:05
this is a very similar "issue" as having to exit a community time trial, go to garage, tweak your tune, then return. Otherwise, I think a lot of people don't realize this and do the TT's untuned... why is it like this???