PDA

View Full Version : Draw distance

lordymatsuo
25-05-2015, 06:56
Anyone else noticing a poor draw distance?

On some tracks its worst than others but normally tracks with fences and barriers I can see the detail and shadow literally being added to the view about 30-50 meters in front of my car.

Its very noticable and just wondered if there was plans to improve this?

The rear view is even worst with full objects just disappearing in my mirrors.

IrideGravity
25-05-2015, 07:18
Anyone else noticing a poor draw distance?

On some tracks its worst than others but normally tracks with fences and barriers I can see the detail and shadow literally being added to the view about 30-50 meters in front of my car.

Its very noticable and just wondered if there was plans to improve this?

The rear view is even worst with full objects just disappearing in my mirrors.

I think that's just gonna happen on ps4. All draw distances suck at speed on consoles. Gta5 is same. Not enough ram or something. They struggle to maintain 60 FPS at high rates of speed though the environment. Only one Ive seen
Kill it is Iracing on a PC. But they don't use as many textures.

mister dog
25-05-2015, 07:18
I've noticed it too, especially on the armco barriers it's noticeable that shadows are formed 50 meters ahead sometimes. Occasionally i also have clouds popping up in the skies all of a sudden when i select mid cloud conditions.

And this is PC i'm talking about ;)

could_do_better
25-05-2015, 07:28
On the Pc track detail ultra increases draw distance if your rig can handle it!

lordymatsuo
25-05-2015, 07:39

Thats a solution for PC :) Any chance we might get improvement patch on PS4 or is it likely going to stay this way?

Personally id rather have lower texture quality and higher draw distance. Graphics are not everything for me but watching shadows get drawn down the side of the track keeps distracting my eye lol

mister dog
25-05-2015, 07:41

I put it on Ultra some time ago. Clouds popping up still happens (albeit the sky is quite a far draw distance), but i'll keep an eye on those barriers as i had it before a lot and now it might be better.

daddyboosive
25-05-2015, 08:30
I'm concentrating too much on the racing line and braking zones etc. To notice if I'm honest.

lordymatsuo
25-05-2015, 08:42
I'm concentrating to much on the racing line and braking zones etc. Too notice if I'm honest.

That would explain why you blitz me last night, maybe i should take your advice and get in your mirrors more.

mister dog
25-05-2015, 08:51
I'm concentrating to much on the racing line and braking zones etc. Too notice if I'm honest.
Once you are one with braking zones and the racing line, you can reach the stage of enlightenment and will be able to visually absorb the scenery grasshopper.

daddyboosive
25-05-2015, 09:33
That would explain why you blitz me last night, maybe i should take your advice and get in your mirrors more.

I wasn't at my best last night tbh lol. Back to work today though so won't be able to race till next weekend. Unless I use the pad :(

Once you are one with braking zones and the racing line, you can reach the stage of enlightenment and will be able to visually absorb the scenery grasshopper.

Ohh I am at one. That's my point. Good quality racing takes my attention more then catchup.

Gloomy
25-05-2015, 09:36

I hope to get to that point one day. I think it'll happen.
I haven't noticed any pop in yet, but I'm not really looking for it either, I'll probably start noticing it now that it's been brought to my attention.

Bounkass
25-05-2015, 09:59
I'm noticing poor draw distance in the rear view mirror on PS4. The distance is barely 50m or so. Everything simply disappears. No fading our or anything. POOF. Gone.

mister dog
25-05-2015, 11:48
Went back and checked. For example on Le Mans in daylight circumstances, if you look at the barriers about 50 meters ahead, you can constantly see shadows being formed on them progressively. I can't describe it better then that the effect that is used to project the light of your headlights on them when it is night (lighting objects more or less 50 meters ahead of you when you arrive), is still visible during daylight and creates this weird effect.

Mark Bevan
25-05-2015, 11:54
Went back and checked. For example on Le Mans in daylight circumstances, if you look at the barriers about 50 meters ahead, you can constantly see shadows being formed on them progressively.

The game has always been like that (also throughout the development) and I'm not aware of a fix for it I'm afraid.

Robert Gerke
25-05-2015, 12:02
Same here, very less Draw Distance....especially the shadows!

MULTIVITZ
25-05-2015, 12:10
If I haven't seen it, it can't be bad! Other games make it distracting even at low speed play. As long as I can read the road upto the horizon and trees and buildings don't pop up all over the apex area and cars suddenly apearing as if by magic, then by brain is fooled lol I found turningup the exposure setting in the visual option menu helped alot to bleed out shadows and make them look better. Hope this helps.

lordymatsuo
25-05-2015, 12:12
The game has always been like that (also throughout the development) and I'm not aware of a fix for it I'm afraid.

Maybe allow us to turn shadows off to reduce load on the Graphics, i for one would prefer no shadows at all than the drawing of shadows in front of me.

Im an old school gamer, graphics are less important that gameplay and pcars has gameplay nailed bar a few bugs so just this issue of graphics is the only issue i have at the mo.

djdest
25-05-2015, 12:24
Too busy enjoying the racing to notice personally.
If I want pretty scenery I'll use google street view!

FoxMulder
25-05-2015, 13:07
On some tracks/scenery it's more obvious than on others, but why not make the shadows more subtle or reduce it somehow. If it's even occuring on a high end PC I don't know wtf the problem is.

Mark Bevan
25-05-2015, 13:48
Maybe allow us to turn shadows off to reduce load on the Graphics, i for one would prefer no shadows at all than the drawing of shadows in front of me.

Im an old school gamer, graphics are less important that gameplay and pcars has gameplay nailed bar a few bugs so just this issue of graphics is the only issue i have at the mo.

You can turn shadows off on the PC. I'm sure someone here will know why you can't do the same on the PS4.

mister dog
25-05-2015, 13:54

Cheers, is it related to invisible headlight shine like i thought? It's just a bit strange that barriers get darkened out progressively up until 50 meters in front of you (which is not that far ahead).

Mark Bevan
25-05-2015, 13:57
No idea I'm afraid. I think it is something to do with decreasing the detail level at a distance, to improve performance. I don't remember that changing during the development of the game.

Diablo944
25-05-2015, 15:31
For me, the rear view mirror is the bugbear. At times the minimal draw distance in that is actually a distraction. Plus anyone watching always comments on that before all else.

lordymatsuo
26-05-2015, 07:51
yeah full buildings just disappearing in the rear view mirror is also an eye catching put off when racing. After all these mini flaws with the graphics I am still loving the game :) Can;t wait for more optimization.