PDA

View Full Version : [Answered fix coming in patch 1.5] Gear shift problems using controller

lordymatsuo
25-05-2015, 07:01
This is starting to be a bigger problem. I have seen one or 2 posts about this but no real answers.

I can be shifting up 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 then suddenly ill shift to 5th and it will drop me to 1st. This has been happening in the aston martin gt3 vantage alot, at least 1-2 times a race.

Ive also had the more comon issue of missing gears when up shifting from say 3rd will jump to 6th.

Pirategenius
25-05-2015, 07:22
I had this problem using the buttons to shift. I remapped to the triggers and the problem stopped.

Dam351
25-05-2015, 07:33
This has happened to me earlier on before I adjusted controller. Thought it was from accidental double press of trigger, but the other night it happened going into first turn of Dubai Autodrome International. 5th gear, clicked down 1 time and was in 2nd.

Now I'm aussie, sh!t Internet here, so I know lag in its different forms. This seemed like lag but was not lag. Thats how id describe what happened on my screen. Why I know that it wasn't lag? Because if it was lag by myself or another player our track position (and I mean to the millimetre of where our cars were on the track) would have changed, but didn't alter at all. 5 cars close and 3 wide entered braking zone, the game 'stuttered' and 1 or 2 seconds later we continued all in same place in relation to each other but closer to corners apex. U could say all 5 lagged at exactly the same time in different parts of the world or maybe point to server, idk. It was weird.

lordymatsuo
25-05-2015, 07:34
Ah thats interesting, i also changed my map to triangle and square i wonder if thats the problem because it happens all the time to me but not that common here on the forums. Devs can you look into this i use triggers for accelerate and brake and using the top bumpers for gears is just clumsy for my hands.

lordymatsuo
26-05-2015, 07:53
Mods please make sure this is on the bug list sticky?

It would appear to replicate the issues you need to re-map the up/down shift buttons from R1/L1 to say Square and X, race with that configuration for about an hour and you will probably experience this gear shift issue many times.

All my tests were in the Aston Martin GT3 Vantage if you also want to check if it's only on certain cars.

Lanius1984
26-05-2015, 08:31
This is starting to be a bigger problem. I have seen one or 2 posts about this but no real answers.

I can be shifting up 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 then suddenly ill shift to 5th and it will drop me to 1st. This has been happening in the aston martin gt3 vantage alot, at least 1-2 times a race.

Ive also had the more comon issue of missing gears when up shifting from say 3rd will jump to 6th.

I have been searching for others that have had this problem. I have 2 videos showing the random drop to 1st gear here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URRXLHMOSjs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jlwcfWS984

This has been driving me crazy... I would estimate it happens roughly once every 10-30 minutes of in-game driving (enough to blow an engine practically every race weekend).

My setup is as follows:
DualShock 4
Manual shifting, Automatic Clutch
Gear Up - Square Button
Gear Down - Cross Button
Clutch - Unmapped

I have been racing Clio Cup for most of the last week, so my experience is all in this car. However, it seems to be a bug affecting the controller mapping, rather than a car or setup.

At the moment, I don't know what to do - use Auto until this is fixed, or learn a new button config (not ideal).

Has this been acknowledged yet?

Pirategenius
26-05-2015, 09:04
Remap the buttons to triggers

Lanius1984
26-05-2015, 09:12
Remap the buttons to triggers

I appreciate you are most likely just trying to help, but this is not a good solution.
I use the triggers for Accelerate and Brake, and it is not at all feasible to shift using triggers. Even the use of the L1/R1 bumpers is impractical with this setup.

When something doesn't work - it is not the responsibility of the user to adapt around the error, but of the developer to fix the issue.

madmax2069
26-05-2015, 09:13
I have ran into this issue plenty of times with a controller.

Jweaver
26-05-2015, 09:24
I follow most of the bug discussions with interest.. But with this one, I don't think I have ever seen it.. I am using X and 'Square' as my shift up/down and don't think I have ever seen a double shift.

lordymatsuo
27-05-2015, 15:31
I have been searching for others that have had this problem. I have 2 videos showing the random drop to 1st gear here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URRXLHMOSjs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jlwcfWS984

This has been driving me crazy... I would estimate it happens roughly once every 10-30 minutes of in-game driving (enough to blow an engine practically every race weekend).

My setup is as follows:
DualShock 4
Manual shifting, Automatic Clutch
Gear Up - Square Button
Gear Down - Cross Button
Clutch - Unmapped

I have been racing Clio Cup for most of the last week, so my experience is all in this car. However, it seems to be a bug affecting the controller mapping, rather than a car or setup.

At the moment, I don't know what to do - use Auto until this is fixed, or learn a new button config (not ideal).

Has this been acknowledged yet?

These videos need a moderator to look at them and put this post on the official list please.

I have the same config, square and cross to shift gears. Bumpers L1/R1 just feels uncomfortable when using L2/R2 for brake and Accelerate.

Please mods can you watch and confirm this bug for us. It's racing ruining, and happening every race sometimes engine blown from it and other times just lose time on track. Depending where it happens also can cause accidents as the sudden drop to 1st gear is like applying the hand brake and the guy behind rear ends you.

Pirategenius
27-05-2015, 16:23
I appreciate you are most likely just trying to help, but this is not a good solution.
I use the triggers for Accelerate and Brake, and it is not at all feasible to shift using triggers. Even the use of the L1/R1 bumpers is impractical with this setup.

When something doesn't work - it is not the responsibility of the user to adapt around the error, but of the developer to fix the issue.

Since I now use thumb stick for throttle and brake. I've also notice you get better throttle/brake control. So remapping from buttons to trigger isn't a problem for me. It also stopped the problem.
The problem could be due to holding the button down too long

madmax2069
27-05-2015, 16:31
Since I now use thumb stick for throttle and brake. I've also notice you get better throttle/brake control. So remapping from buttons to trigger isn't a problem for me. It also stopped the problem.
The problem could be due to holding the button down too long

Holding the button down for too long isnt the issue (especially when it instantly goes directly from 5th to first gear). When you hold the button down it doesn't keep shifting, it will shift once and remain in that gear until you lift and repress.

The issue here is a single button press is being seen as multiple button presses (either by a bug in the game or other software, or a faulty input device either by bad design, or dirty or failing contact)

apexatspeed
27-05-2015, 18:16
Remapping the controller from the original set up isn't a solution to the glitch. The glitch needs to be fixed because it definitely occurs. Usually about twice per play session depending on how long I play. It is annoying and can screw you during a close race.

Elmo
27-05-2015, 20:15
I added it to the list. Thanks for the feedback chaps.

lordymatsuo
27-05-2015, 21:12
I have been fiddling tonight and found that i can only replicate the problem with remapping gears to square and cross but also having abs, tracion control, stability assists on. If i turn off the assists but leave the keybinding it works fine :) no assists for me anymore :) hope this helps

SpaceMachine
27-05-2015, 22:28
I'm using CIRCLE to shift UP and SQUARE to shift DOWN. I've never had an unintentional gear change in well over 3000 miles. Ever.

I blame the hardware. Or the user ;)

lordymatsuo
28-05-2015, 10:34
I found this was also connected to assists, If i re-map controls and have assists on I get the issues. If I turn assists off the problem goes away. Very strange.

wanganrider
28-05-2015, 19:17
It's not just on controllers I'm having the same issues with a fanatec racing wheel with the new clubsport shifter. This is clearly a bug in the game that needs to be patched.

Psychomatrix
29-05-2015, 03:27
Have the same issues on xbox one too. I use the b button for upshift and x button for downshift. Has nothing to do with to long holding buttons. Frustrating when you on a hotlap want shift from 5th to 4th and you suddenly in 1st. After patch it seems to be more. Sometimes i'm suddenly in neutral and i can't change gears anymore before it stop the car.if thats a mechanical failure feature? but for that it was a bit often

evanPGH
29-05-2015, 04:37
Just registered because of this issue.

Using the controller, circle to upshift and square to downshift. No assists.

I can no longer get through a race without this happening, rendering the game completely unplayable. Nothing like leading the field with the white flag waiving at Laguna Seca only to have the glitch take me from 4th to 2nd going into 1 and wasting all of my time and effort.

Bealdor
29-05-2015, 06:18
FYI:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22351-Glitch-Dropping-to-1st-from-high-gears&p=950606&viewfull=1#post950606

Lanius1984
29-05-2015, 08:51
FYI:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22351-Glitch-Dropping-to-1st-from-high-gears&p=950606&viewfull=1#post950606

Thanks for the link here, but again I'm worried that the real issue is being overlooked. This isn't being caused by 'tired' hardware. I have tested my setup with 2 DS4's, one of which has hardly been used from new, and the issue was replicated with my mapping of Square for upshift, Cross for downshift. In addition, I have NEVER experienced an issue with my controllers in any other game.

In addition, if you take a look at the videos I posted early on in this thread, you will see that i suffer this issue just the same when shifting UP the gears (one video shows me shift from 4th to 5th, using 'Square button', only for the gearbox to jump to 1st immediately after the shift) - This simply can't be related to false results on the number of times a button is pressed, as I'm pressing the wrong button to downshift...

In my experience, I've had this issue happen more times while shifting UP than when shifting Down

I have since remapped to have L1 as upshift and R1 and downshift (not sure if this is default, may well be) and it is working fine. The game doesn't seem to like having gear shifts mapped to the face buttons. To explain the rarity of the issue, you have to look at the probability of experiencing this:
DS4 user has to choose to shift manually
manual shifter has to then choose to remap button layout from the default
potentially linked to assists too? I can't confirm this, I personally use the 'Real' setting, and driving Clio's, I'm not sure what assists that gives me
custom user then has to drive a car the may suffer the issue (I would tend to agree that sequential shifting only suffers this issue)
this user would then need to be aware that something was slightly 'off' when their engine blows, if they even have mechanical failures on in the first place - it took me several engine blows before I started to become aware of what was actually happening.

I hate the fact that I can't have the layout that I want, and I'm losing time because of it. That said, I can at least play like this without huge bouts of frustration.

I don't really understand why there is so much debate for every 'small' (not for me, its close to game breaking with my preferred setup!) bug that is highlighted on this forum. Generally, most people are just trying to be constructive and help the game improve.

Still you've gotta love 'that guy' that comes into a thread that he's not having problems with to say this: "I blame the hardware. Or the user" - Thanks pal! Much appreciate the useful input

lordymatsuo
03-06-2015, 07:33
This is not mentioned as being fixed in PS4 patch notes, I know you have got a lot going in but this is a game breaking bug. Picture if you can your a competitive online racer and your game shifts from 5th to 1st instead of up into 6th as you pressed to happen.

A number of things follow this bug

1. 5th to 1st is like applying the hand break, in close racing this is just causing crashes
2. 5th to 1st in anything like a formula B car just makes the car start aqua plaining
3. 5th to 1st is blowing my engine and ending my race completely (temporary fix turn off mechanical failures)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE : Don't just say this is tiered hardware because my PS4 is brand new.

lordymatsuo
11-06-2015, 08:09
Any more news on this? This is not tiered hardware and it it a game breaking bug, why can't I find any other responses from the dev's on this other than this one

We've pretty much tracked this down now. Only affects sequential gearbox cars and most of the time is probably happening on 'unhealthy' controllers which are registering multiple inputs to the gearshift button in rapid succession. That BMW M3 GT, for instance, could have this happen if it gets two gear shift down inputs inside of 50ms. My fingers aren't fast enough to do that, but it seems likely that a dirty/tired controller could have the same effect. We're looking at adding a little safety net in the code to prevent these hyper-rapid shift scenarios from breaking things.

If any of you do experience it due to intentionally rapid button bashing, however, just slow down the action a bit. Won't save you any time over a lap and a similar approach in a real car would break things.

Just look at this video of how it affects the game imagine if this was your race, every race ruined becuase of this bug. This should definately be a very high prioirty but I don't see it in the patch 1.4 update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx-u39jR2CA

hkraft300
11-06-2015, 13:41
Never had this issue. I use R2/L2 for accelerate brake
R stick up/down to shift (like a sequential shifter)

SnakeEyesX80
11-06-2015, 14:29
I mapped shifting to the right analog stick and it's worked out well for me.

lordymatsuo
11-06-2015, 15:33
I'm going to try mapping it to the analog stick and see how I get on thanks guys.

I do hope this is fixed though as it is a bug that appears to be connected with mapping of the buttons

JessicaWalter
11-06-2015, 15:38
i use the right stick as well. clutch on L1 and start engine on R1.

ive never had a problem.

edit: im not saying it's user error, lol. just agreeing with the others that use the right stick for shifting. it mmight just be an issue with using the face buttons for shifting.

FunkyFox1
11-06-2015, 15:39
I have never had this issue I have gear up as circle and gear down as square and it has never missed a beat apart from the odd time I think I double shift up

lordymatsuo
12-06-2015, 11:52
I changed title to say still broke in 1.4 patch just to make sure its not forgotten. Keep up good work guys looking forward to more improvements

oRuin
12-06-2015, 12:26
I'll post a screenshot of my button mappings screen in a few minutes. Currently use square for downshift, circle for upshift and have X set to LCD info change. Have never once experienced that problem. I don't have any button set to handbrake.

lordymatsuo
12-06-2015, 13:54
I tried square and circle last night and thought it was fixed. Got the patch this morning an dhas happened twice again. Starting to wonder if i have changed something to cause this bug, there is so many who have and others who have never had it.

So many settings make it almost impossible to track down, maybe something i need with the key config, maybe the controller setting sensitivity etc, maybe the car tune. I think i might reset everything and play completely vanilla for a few hours, see if that helps.

Stephen Viljoen
12-06-2015, 14:36
FYI guys, over here (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22351-ANSWER-POST-9-Dropping-to-1st-from-high-gears&p=985403&viewfull=1#post985403).

matthewedwardcornish
12-06-2015, 15:13
I'm having a simular sort of issue - BMW Z3 GT3 shifting up from 3rd to 4th the display shows 4 but it's still in 3rd... video will help: https://youtu.be/wzTsJ5oSs2w

JeyD02
12-06-2015, 15:25
Try to race with another control. Sometimes if you press a bottom it'll affect the others when the control is beginning to wear out.

lordymatsuo
13-06-2015, 06:55
FYI guys, over here (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22351-ANSWER-POST-9-Dropping-to-1st-from-high-gears&p=985403&viewfull=1#post985403).

Copied the below post from that thread as this is the answer we wanted :)

We have a fix for this that we've tested internally and can no longer reproduce this issue. Thanks to those of you who posted clear steps to reproduce. We'll roll it out to you all in the next patch.