PDA

View Full Version : Controller > wheel

gp20
25-05-2015, 07:46
I'm used to play with the DS4 and i tried to give a chance to the wheel.

After 2 weeks it still doesn't work for me. I'm slow.:(

I just swapped a T80 for a T100. I'm not sure the T300 will be better now.
Playing with the T80 is a challenge if you want to be competitive IMO. I had a hard time to go straight in the straight line at high speed with it.

I need probably more time.

lordymatsuo
25-05-2015, 07:53
I had same problem with the t100 got frustrated after days of tweaking force feedback settings etc. im faster with the pad but alot of guys I race with are fast with wheel as well.

I badly want to get better with a wheel but i just dont feel it. Not sure if its my settings or just me not liking the wheel racing.

I sent my t100 back and im thinking of trying the t300 in a couple months, alot of people complained about ffb settings so im hoping a patch fixes some stuff to make using a wheel more accessible. Having a standard setup would be a great start rather than having to save it to each and every car. I agree each car needs tweaking but to have to redo all settings each time frustrated me so im back to a pad for now

gp20
25-05-2015, 08:16
I agree, i don't understand this configuration layer.

There is no configuration layer in DriveClub and it makes sense.
Two person having two different configuration will have two different experience of the game.
The cars should behave the same for everybody.

booboo640
25-05-2015, 08:49
Head over to inside sim racing, they have some good settings for wheels over there. Looks like there is a lot of people having some trouble setting up their wheels. I'm having trouble with the controller.

hkraft300
25-05-2015, 09:42
I sent my t100 back and im thinking of trying the t300 in a couple months, alot of people complained about ffb settings so im hoping a patch fixes some stuff to make using a wheel more accessible. Having a standard setup would be a great start rather than having to save it to each and every car. I agree each car needs tweaking but to have to redo all settings each time frustrated me so im back to a pad for now

Search the forum there are plenty of settings posted for you to try, if you're not sure how to make the adjustments. A patch won't fix what's not broken.

You don't have to re-tune every car for every track. You can save a tune to "all tracks" or just circuits, or individually select certain circuits for the same setup. Eg you've found a setup at Silverstone - you can save it at Silverstone, Laguna and NurGP because they're all low-speed high downforce tracks. Also have a look in the garage section of this forum for more setups.

Some menu options aren't the most obvious but have a look around. There isn't another "game" released that can be personalised so much and to such fine detail.

I'm using DS4. All console guys who went from a pad to wheel initially were slower and had to learn/train themselves again. took a bit of time but ultimately they became quicker with a wheel than they ever would've got with a pad. However that's also dependent on your wheel setup - how good is your wheel/pedal set? Feedback is important to push a car to its limits.

obiski123
03-06-2015, 17:50
I've played with t80 from the start and not touched a control since playing instore in Game. I work my set up around my wheel too but i'm still competitive (12th on imola on time trial)

HBR-Roadhog
03-06-2015, 17:57
It takes a while to adapt from a controller to a wheel, even for those of us that have been driving real cars for many years it is still an adjustment to go from controller to wheel and IMO a non FFB wheel is the hardest of all.

When I first got my MS Wheel I found that I could not control oversteer at all and that I was slower on pretty much every circuit in every car. On Ovals I was about the same as with the controller but more consistent. It wasn't until I decided to bite the bullet and focus on nothing but the wheel that I started to get the hang of it. First with a DFGT on GT5P and then a Fanatec on Forza 3, GT5, Forza 4 and GT6. By the time Forza 4 rolled out I had over a year under my belt driving with just the wheel and had gotten to where I had good control of the car and was as fast or faster than with the controller pretty much every where.

It is definitely better with a wheel, more fun, more real and you have the added bonus of being able to take one hand off the wheel to have a drink or a bite when on a straight.

Another thing that is important to note is the driving view, a lot of controller users will drive in chase view but this really does not work to well with a wheel. Cockpit,hood or bumper view is the way to go when using a wheel.

Forcedchaos
03-06-2015, 18:10
This is the first time I have used a wheel in a racing game and there is definitely an adjustment period as with all things new, you just have to give it time. I'm using the T100 as well and it is a great FFB wheel, going to the T300 won't make a difference for you.

Yesterday I downloaded a folder I found on here that everyone is using for their FFB settings and it made a huge difference in the quality of the FFB. Look it up. I would never play a racing game without a wheel again, makes it a totally different more fun and immersive experience.

Don't worry about times and all of that until you get acclimated to it, I don't even play online yet because I know I'm not ready and comfortable enough with the wheel and I used to race My Mustang GT in real life, but I'm getting there with a little bit more practice and you will to.

k.merse
03-06-2015, 19:56
If you have issues getting used to a wheel, just turn all FFB effect off, and adjust the wheel to automatically jump back to the center. That helps you to learn to feel the wheel, and then you can start learning FFB effects and how they give you more information about the car.